OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One way or another, I don’t think Morris will be our DC next year.

As to coach Hennie? Hope he can be retained with an internal promotion and a juicy raise. He’s a keeper and deserves to be treated accordingly.
Morris will have to be a Head Coach to leave, however, I do believe he would be a good hire for the Raiders. As to DL Coach Eric Henderson, I'm hopeful he passes on an opportunity to be Co-Defensive Coordinator at Florida. I do believe that if Morris leaves, to retain Henderson the Rams might have to promote him to DC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
By-the-Way, I would also worry a bit about Thomas Brown getting a better opportunity.

Or Chris Shula.

Teams want the next-Sean McVay. Not just as a Head Coach but also as a Coordinator or top-assistant.

McVay hires a ton of young guys. The Rams have been successful. Teams are going to target those guys.
He has definitely passed over a lot of guys on his own staff too which I find interesting.

Looking at Shula the guy is one of McVay's best friends. But last season after doing a pretty good job with Floyd and a collection of backups on the blindside he was moved to ILB and had his OLBs taken away and given to the DL coach. Is there a development/training path there for Shula? Doesn't really look like it.

Let's assume Morris gets a HC job, which I think he deserves (my prediction is Arthur Blank hires him quickly). I think he's got a nice grasp of both sides of the ball from his positional days and being under McVay a year makes him much more attractive from a "how to install culture" side, plus he's a fine leader in his own right. Would McVay consider a promotion from within? I feel like the answer is likely no. Seems to me like he'd be all-in on Zimmer or Fangio assuming either are fired and don't immediately get another HC gig. On defense in particular it just feels like he has too high of standards to allow him to promote guys within. Staley now was inexperienced, but to get that hire he undoubtedly dazzled McVay with his understanding of the Fangio scheme and it's structure/schematics.

Same goes with the offensive side of the ball. Wade's son has done a pretty good job with the TE group. I do like that he was rewarded with the passing game coordinator gig too. Now I don't know if O'Connell has the leadership you want in a HC either, in terms of him being hired away. He seems like a great guy and all but a bit goofy for my tastes if I were the owner.

So I feel like Wes Phillips is likely to be hired away. I think he deserves a real OC gig. Honestly if it was me I'd let O'Connell take an OC job with playcalling duties if one comes up and install Phillips as my OC.

Back to the DCs if and when Zimmer or Fangio hit the market both those guys are going to change the complexion of the power structure in the league. Gaining a DC of that class is a big deal. So I hope the Rams have explored that with the owner and that Stan is ready to make that shit happen after we lose Morris.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Let's assume Morris gets a HC job, which I think he deserves (my prediction is Arthur Blank hires him quickly).
You don't mean Arthur Blank ... Do you?

Blank had Morris last year as the interim Head Coach after firing Dan Quinn. Then the Falcons' owner went with Arthur Smith as the new HC. Don't imagine the Falcons move on from Smith after just one season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
By-the-Way, I would also worry a bit about Thomas Brown getting a better opportunity.

Or Chris Shula.

Teams want the next-Sean McVay. Not just as a Head Coach but also as a Coordinator or top-assistant.

McVay hires a ton of young guys. The Rams have been successful. Teams are going to target those guys.
I keep hoping KoC gets a head coach gig, it makes sense for a team with a young QB, and Brown gets the OC promotion with us. Because if not I fear he's as good as gone.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I keep hoping KoC gets a head coach gig, it makes sense for a team with a young QB, and Brown gets the OC promotion with us. Because if not I fear he's as good as gone.
That's a good point and highly probable as I could see O'Connell ending up in Chicago or if Asshole Face departs New Orleans, although might be hard not for the Saints to promote DC Dennis Allen to Head Coach in that scenario.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't mean Arthur Blank ... Do you?

Blank had Morris last year as the interim Head Coach after firing Dan Quinn. Then the Falcons' owner went with Arthur Smith as the new HC. Don't imagine the Falcons move on from Smith after just one season.
Good chance you're right seeing how long Blank put up with Quinn who should have been fired long before the move was made. Lot of excuses with the roster and all that he can fall back on too. But I would move on from Smith. I think he lacks leadership and that team is going nowhere with him in the job.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t think Smith is doing bad in Atlanta at all. Another team lacking in talent but they’re competing.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If I remember correctly, McVay did not allow Kevin O'Connell to join Staley with the Chargers.

McVay was able to block him because it technically would have been a lateral-move. However, it would have been an up-grade in the sense that McVay is essentially the Offensive Coordinator with the Rams, and O'Connell is his assistant.

Similar to when Matt LaFleur left to be Vrabel's OC in Tennessee. That was also technically a lateral move but McVay (graciously) allowed it to help LaFleur's career; and a year later he was the Packers' Head Coach.

I was impressed when McVay allowed LaFleur to go to TN. Thought it spoke well of him. Understood him wanting to hold onto O'Connell given all the good young talent he had lost off his staff in recent years. Still, should O'Connell get an opportunity to be the Offensive Coordinator for a head coach with a defensive-background, I could see McVay letting him go in 2022 ... and maybe Thomas Brown would get promoted to OC.

Last edited:

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Re: the Seahawks yeah I could see the GM getting canned. I mean how long did he live on one amazing draft. Pete will probably get another job in 5 minutes too if he wants one, I do sort of feel for him but only sort of, still mad at him post-USC.
Not sure who the blame goes to, but yea some very bad drafting going on.
Just curious how much Petey had his hands in the draft cookie jar.
Either way Looks like a rebuild coming.
I see Petey gone and rus getting traded as part of it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I remember correctly, McVay did not allow Kevin O'Connell to join Staley with the Chargers.

McVay was able to block him because it technically would have been a lateral-move. However, it would have been an up-grade in the sense that McVay is essentially the Offensive Coordinator with the Rams, and O'Connell is his assistant.

Similar to when Matt LaFleur left to be Vrabel's OC in Tennessee. That was also technically a lateral move but McVay (graciously) allowed it to help LaFleur's career; and a year later he was the Packers' Head Coach.

I was impressed when McVay allowed LaFleur to go to TN. Thought it spoke well of him. Understood him wanting to hold onto O'Connell given all the good young talent he had lost off his staff in recent years. Still, should O'Connell get an opportunity to be the Offensive Coordinator for a head coach with defensive-background, I could see McVay letting him go in 2022 ... and maybe Thomas Brown would get promoted to OC.
I was saying KoC gets a head coaching gig. I think last year with KoC was to alleviate some of the changes and to keep him away from the same position for the Chargers.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I was saying KoC gets a head coaching gig.
I think last year with KoC was to alleviate some of the changes and to keep him away from the same position for the Chargers.
No, I do understand that; and O'Connell could get a HC-offer.

Just adding that if you want Brown to be the OC, it's conceivable (given Rams' recent history and McVay's past actions) that someone wants O'Connell as an OC and McVay could give the OK.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don’t see how O’Connel gets consideration he seem like window dressing. Maybe I don’t give him enough credit because of the way McVay seems to dominate the offense.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don’t see how O’Connel gets consideration he seem like window dressing. Maybe I don’t give him enough credit because of the way McVay seems to dominate the offense.
I completely agree. However, how high-profile was Matt LaFleur in 2017, and Zac Taylor in 2018?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like A2MV says Matt laFleur and Zac Tayler and Kliff Kingsbury just to name a few are how KoC gets head coach consideration.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dear Santa all I want for Christmas is a Fangio firing
and a Fangio hiring.
Fangio- new DC for LA rams
One thing that would suck is him being fired too soon. Because that probably means we wouldn't be positioned to hire him, since we have to wait for Morris to be hired.

But I'm with you and I'm sure McVay wants him too assuming that Morris is gonna get a job which I do think is likely. Gonna have to rethink the Atlanta thing though... I was thinking they only had 4 wins they're doing better than I thought and also the owner is patient.

Btw if Morris hangs around another season I'm fine with that. I feel like he's gotten a good feel for his calls now and should be even better next season if he's the DC again. He's definitely gonna get a HC gig though, just a matter of time. The guy really does know how to control a room which I think is extremely important for the head coach.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
and a Fangio hiring.

Careful with that wishing stuff...

My Broncos bud laments that Fangio is not very good at making adjustments in the 2nd half.

I dunno if it's a function of being the HC and the DC or if he just doesn't make many adjustments, but he's cited Fangio's lack of adjustments as a problem.

So... I dunno.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Not sure who the blame goes to, but yea some very bad drafting going on.
Just curious how much Petey had his hands in the draft cookie jar.
Either way Looks like a rebuild coming.
I see Petey gone and rus getting traded as part of it.
Not that I am aware... but it is possible that the 'hawks are in the un-enviable position the Rams were once in with an owner transition, negatively affecting front office decision making, getting quality football hires - all of which translates to the product on the field.

The current Rams are in an awesome state of affairs, from the owner to the water boy... We have a great staff and consequently a very good and motivated team.

Thank you all, for making the Rams fun again!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
and a Fangio hiring.

McVay the anchor for the offensive scheme.

Fangio the anchor for the defensive scheme.

That would be amazing.