49'ers 2022/23 San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
Got to love the drama in SF. :laugh4:

1654985230474.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10038671-nfl-coach-thinks-fans-persuaded-49ers-to-draft-trey-lance-over-mac-jones-in-2021

NFL Coach Thinks Fans Persuaded 49ers to Draft Trey Lance over Mac Jones in 2021​

San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan doesn't seem like someone who cares about outside noise, but at least one opposing coach thinks the team's decision to select Trey Lance in the 2021 NFL draft was driven by fan pressure.

According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, an offensive coach on an NFC team believes the 49ers were "100 percent taking" Mac Jones at No. 3 overall "until they saw their fanbase [overreact]."

One month before the 2021 draft, the 49ers sent three first-round picks and a third-round pick to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for the No. 3 overall selection.

NBC Sports' Peter King wrote prior to the draft that Shanahan "believes Jones is the accurate coach-on-the-field type he craves."

The NFC coach's comment is interesting because King noted in the same article that Shanahan and general manager John Lynch "won’t care what order the draftniks have the quarterbacks, or any position."

King cited San Francisco's 2017 draft board that had Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster as the Nos. 2 and 3 overall players, behind only Myles Garrett.

Amid rumors that Jones was the 49ers' preferred choice, fans of the team didn't exactly respond with enthusiasm.

In September, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported "one of the many reasons" San Francisco made the move was the belief that the New England Patriots could trade up to No. 3 to draft Jones.

"The 49ers considered the well-documented relationship between Bill Belichick and Nick Saban and knew that New England was doing legwork on the quarterback prospects in the draft," Schefter wrote.

Shanahan and Lynch seemed to take pleasure in keeping which quarterback they preferred a closely guarded secret.

Per Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area, neither Lynch nor Shanahan "explicitly" told the other which quarterback they preferred six days before the draft.

Lynch said he told Shanahan the decision would be up to him. Shanahan eventually told him Monday, three days before the first round.
"Man, I didn’t know, Coach," Lance told Shanahan on the phone when the quarterback was informed the 49ers were selecting him, per Maiocco. "You wouldn’t tell me nothing."

It still remains to be seen if the 49ers made the right decision. Jones had a promising rookie season with the Patriots, who didn't have to move off the No. 15 pick to select him. He led New England to the postseason, throwing for 3,801 yards and 22 touchdowns to finish second in Offensive Rookie of the Year voting.

Lance spent most of his rookie season learning behind Jimmy Garoppolo. The 22-year-old showed promise with 603 passing yards, 168 rushing yards and accounted for six touchdowns in six games (two starts).

TREY LANCE
Drafted: No. 3 overall
2021 stats: 2 starts, 603 passing yards, 5 TD passes, 2 interceptions, 33.4 Total QBR (168 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD)

Lance is easily the toughest evaluation on this list, largely because of the lack of snaps over the past two years (178 in spot duty with San Francisco last season after just one full game with North Dakota State in 2020).

"He's in the best spot by far, but I don't know if he's ready," an AFC scout said. "Coaching and system will help him tremendously."

Coach Kyle Shanahan's attack mixed with Lance's skill set will be "impressive to watch" in 2022, an NFC scout said. "The throws he makes in flashes are insane," the scout said. "The athleticism and toughness to go along with it are real. He's had time to get his feet wet while observing. I think that always ends up well for the ones with high ceilings like him."

There has been steady speculation about Lance's readiness after a year mostly behind the scenes developing with 49ers coaches and players in practices. I've heard the 49ers are not concerned with Lance's arm strength and want to see him continue to apply all that he has learned in game-simulated settings, navigating the chaos from inside and outside the pocket. He threw a lot from the pre-draft process right through the regular season, so he took some time off to rest following the season. Over time, the 49ers have seen improvements in his delivery and footwork, two points of emphasis.

Now, some people around the league weren't overly impressed with his game action, with one offensive coach saying his throwing motion still looked "wonky" and that he didn't seem comfortable while throwing on the run. The numbers say Lance was fine from outside the pocket, completing nine of 15 passes for 146 yards and two touchdowns.

"He will be fine. Talented. Will make plays with his legs," an NFC exec said. "Best playcaller in the game will put him in a position to succeed."

Then there's this from an NFC offensive coach: "I think they were 100 percent taking Mac [Jones] until they saw their fan base [overreact]."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

NFL Coach Thinks Fans Persuaded 49ers to Draft Trey Lance over Mac Jones in 2021​

I had communicated this several times too and that was obvious that fans didn't feel Mac Jones was that good and in fairness I wanted the 49ers to draft Jones because I thought the very same way. As to Lance, his upside is huge and he can run like the wind so until I see more of him I will temper my enthusiasm of Jones being better and the 49ers being in trouble at QB.

The one knock that Lance could have is health, but he can run and has a howitzer for an arm so I understand why the fans would like the pick, let's hope he goes up in smoke.

"According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, an offensive coach on an NFC team believes the 49ers were "100 percent taking" Mac Jones at No. 3 overall "until they saw their fanbase [overreact].""

Comments as such are stupid to say the least....so NFL coaches, GMs, and other front office members are so concerned about the opinions/desires/reactions of the fan base they would be willing to change their draft pick? Man, wished I'd known about Tutu!!!!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Comments as such are stupid to say the least....so NFL coaches, GMs, and other front office members are so concerned about the opinions/desires/reactions of the fan base they would be willing to change their draft pick?
I agree.

However, just to be proactive, I suggest we Rams' fans start an aggressive mail-campaign where we pose as Niners-fans and demand that Lynch and Shanahan use next year's top two draft choices on a long-snapper and a guy that runs onto the field to retrieve the kicking-tee following kick-offs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, an offensive coach on an NFC team believes the 49ers were "100 percent taking" Mac Jones at No. 3 overall "until they saw their fanbase [overreact].""

Comments as such are stupid to say the least....so NFL coaches, GMs, and other front office members are so concerned about the opinions/desires/reactions of the fan base they would be willing to change their draft pick? Man, wished I'd known about Tutu!!!!
Well the Rams have proven they don't give a flying F what we think. :laugh4:

oldnotdead

Legend
I don't see where all this shade on Lance is coming from. DON'T SLEEP ON LANCE. THIS KID IS VERY SMART, AND VERY TALENTED. HE IS A TRUE DUAL THREAT. HE'S BETTER THAN KYLER AND LAMAR JACKSON, IN THAT HE CAN READ DEFENSES AND DOES SO QUICKLY. All of Lance's issues are coachable issues. Things like being more consistent with his technique and trusting what he's seeing. He can make all the throws and runs well. He's been clocked consistently in the mid 4.5 range which is very fast for a man of his size. He's a film room junkie who simply needed a year of coaching and NFL acclimation.

IMO Lance will make the Niners, the primary competition with the Rams in the NFCW for years to come. He will be the #2 QB in this division and IMO is better than Mac Jones.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We all know Lance is very athletic. But I don't see how anyone can claim he reads defenses and can do it quickly. There is such a small sample size. I wouldn't go on his college game. Playing for a small school against small school defenses is a long way from the NFL.

Maybe this kid will be good. Maybe he won't. But there is no way we can say we know one way or the other. There are plenty of athletic quarterbacks in college with a good arm that can be coached up on the mechanics and footwork. Not all of them will be good. Its gonna take more than that to be a good NFL quarterback.

oldnotdead

Legend
In his collegiate offense, he was reading the entire field. It wasn't an RPO offense like Kyler and Lamar came from. You can go off his college film because you see him reading the entire field not just his first and maybe his second short read like Kyler and Baker still do. I counted him making 4 reads and he did it quickly before coming back to an earlier read that was breaking open. That is something I haven't seen Kyler or Baker do. He's got good size for the position and he definitely can run. He will be the QB AZ always hoped Kyler would be. Who knows what the Browns were thinking when they took Baker.

Yes, the NFL defenses are harder reads. But that can be said for all rookie QBs. The important thing is he knows how to read and he's a film watcher and a very smart kid. He simply needs to experience the difference between the levels. I think he's going to be playing well at the end of the season. I'm really glad we get the Niners early in the season.

All I'm saying is that I am not going to underestimate him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Shanny will simplify shit for him and make him look at least decent. If not then we are really gonna enjoy this.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10038671-nfl-coach-thinks-fans-persuaded-49ers-to-draft-trey-lance-over-mac-jones-in-2021

San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan doesn't seem like someone who cares about outside noise, but at least one opposing coach thinks the team's decision to select Trey Lance in the 2021 NFL draft was driven by fan pressure.

According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, an offensive coach on an NFC team believes the 49ers were "100 percent taking" Mac Jones at No. 3 overall "until they saw their fanbase [overreact]."

One month before the 2021 draft, the 49ers sent three first-round picks and a third-round pick to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for the No. 3 overall selection.

NBC Sports' Peter King wrote prior to the draft that Shanahan "believes Jones is the accurate coach-on-the-field type he craves."

The NFC coach's comment is interesting because King noted in the same article that Shanahan and general manager John Lynch "won’t care what order the draftniks have the quarterbacks, or any position."

King cited San Francisco's 2017 draft board that had Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster as the Nos. 2 and 3 overall players, behind only Myles Garrett.

Amid rumors that Jones was the 49ers' preferred choice, fans of the team didn't exactly respond with enthusiasm.

In September, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported "one of the many reasons" San Francisco made the move was the belief that the New England Patriots could trade up to No. 3 to draft Jones.

"The 49ers considered the well-documented relationship between Bill Belichick and Nick Saban and knew that New England was doing legwork on the quarterback prospects in the draft," Schefter wrote.

Shanahan and Lynch seemed to take pleasure in keeping which quarterback they preferred a closely guarded secret.

Per Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area, neither Lynch nor Shanahan "explicitly" told the other which quarterback they preferred six days before the draft.

Lynch said he told Shanahan the decision would be up to him. Shanahan eventually told him Monday, three days before the first round.
"Man, I didn’t know, Coach," Lance told Shanahan on the phone when the quarterback was informed the 49ers were selecting him, per Maiocco. "You wouldn’t tell me nothing."

It still remains to be seen if the 49ers made the right decision. Jones had a promising rookie season with the Patriots, who didn't have to move off the No. 15 pick to select him. He led New England to the postseason, throwing for 3,801 yards and 22 touchdowns to finish second in Offensive Rookie of the Year voting.

Lance spent most of his rookie season learning behind Jimmy Garoppolo. The 22-year-old showed promise with 603 passing yards, 168 rushing yards and accounted for six touchdowns in six games (two starts).

TREY LANCE
Drafted: No. 3 overall
2021 stats: 2 starts, 603 passing yards, 5 TD passes, 2 interceptions, 33.4 Total QBR (168 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD)

Lance is easily the toughest evaluation on this list, largely because of the lack of snaps over the past two years (178 in spot duty with San Francisco last season after just one full game with North Dakota State in 2020).

"He's in the best spot by far, but I don't know if he's ready," an AFC scout said. "Coaching and system will help him tremendously."

Coach Kyle Shanahan's attack mixed with Lance's skill set will be "impressive to watch" in 2022, an NFC scout said. "The throws he makes in flashes are insane," the scout said. "The athleticism and toughness to go along with it are real. He's had time to get his feet wet while observing. I think that always ends up well for the ones with high ceilings like him."

There has been steady speculation about Lance's readiness after a year mostly behind the scenes developing with 49ers coaches and players in practices. I've heard the 49ers are not concerned with Lance's arm strength and want to see him continue to apply all that he has learned in game-simulated settings, navigating the chaos from inside and outside the pocket. He threw a lot from the pre-draft process right through the regular season, so he took some time off to rest following the season. Over time, the 49ers have seen improvements in his delivery and footwork, two points of emphasis.

Now, some people around the league weren't overly impressed with his game action, with one offensive coach saying his throwing motion still looked "wonky" and that he didn't seem comfortable while throwing on the run. The numbers say Lance was fine from outside the pocket, completing nine of 15 passes for 146 yards and two touchdowns.

"He will be fine. Talented. Will make plays with his legs," an NFC exec said. "Best playcaller in the game will put him in a position to succeed."

Then there's this from an NFC offensive coach: "I think they were 100 percent taking Mac [Jones] until they saw their fan base [overreact]."

I live in Hawaii and Hawaii back in the early 2000's or so and went 0-12 in college football. We had a coach named Fred Von Appen. I recall watching a show called "call the coach" where a local sportscaster and the head coach would field calls and questions from fans. Some fans would suggest he add a TE or change certain formations and the coach actually took notes from the fans. I hope this really happened to the whiners.

In a bit of irony for me. Hawaii turned their fortunes around and went 12-0 in 2007, but got hammered by Georgia in a BCS sugar bowl. Matthew Stafford was the Georgia QB.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I don't see where all this shade on Lance is coming from. DON'T SLEEP ON LANCE. THIS KID IS VERY SMART, AND VERY TALENTED. HE IS A TRUE DUAL THREAT. HE'S BETTER THAN KYLER AND LAMAR JACKSON, IN THAT HE CAN READ DEFENSES AND DOES SO QUICKLY. All of Lance's issues are coachable issues. Things like being more consistent with his technique and trusting what he's seeing. He can make all the throws and runs well. He's been clocked consistently in the mid 4.5 range which is very fast for a man of his size. He's a film room junkie who simply needed a year of coaching and NFL acclimation.

IMO Lance will make the Niners, the primary competition with the Rams in the NFCW for years to come. He will be the #2 QB in this division and IMO is better than Mac Jones.

Lance sucks. Dude had to redshirt in the FCS for God's sake...how often has that happened to future NFL QBs?

He's played one full season since high school on a powerhouse FCS team against garbage competition full of players that wouldn't make the practice squad in the SEC...and his accuracy was still terrible. Here's a note from PFF after his Pro Day:

"Lance did show off his huge arm during the throwing drills, but we mustn’t forget the accuracy issues he had at North Dakota State. Just 44% of Lance’s career passes beyond the line of scrimmage were deemed accurate, according to PFF’s ball-charting process. Comparing that to all the first-round quarterbacks since 2017, it would be the worst by a considerable margin. And Lance produced that number despite throwing to a tight or closing window at one of the five lowest rates among that group (also the lowest in the 2021 class)."

He's insanely inexperienced and massively overrated as an athlete. There's a reason he didn't run the 40, he knows he looks way faster running against FCS players than he would on the stopwatch.

I literally celebrated when the 49ers took Lance over Mac Jones.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Lance will start. The fucks from up north will use him like Lamar. It fits perfectly with their style. The drama they have had is just that. Drama. It doesn't mean shit. It will be between us and them and it will be a dog fight. Not getting Von and getting Wagner and Robinson instead, might turn out to be better for us.