49'ers 2022/23 San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The 49ers took the wait and see approach on an injured QB. The fact they got greedy believing they had more than they thought is funny.

They did the same thing with krapernick and got nothing back.
It’s hard to get a lot for a player everyone knows has lost value to the team he’s still on.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I don’t know if this is something that’s been brewing for a long time with Deebo or not. But assuming it wasn’t it seems odd that it all suddenly became a thing for him. Did his agent or friends get in his head? Was it strictly the huge contracts that some receivers got? Before all of this I thought of him as a 49er career man.

LOL, we don't call them the "whiners" for nothing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t know if this is something that’s been brewing for a long time with Deebo or not. But assuming it wasn’t it seems odd that it all suddenly became a thing for him. Did his agent or friends get in his head? Was it strictly the huge contracts that some receivers got? Before all of this I thought of him as a 49er career man.
It seemed to come out of nowhere. He’s really shutting SF out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

do other cities have a poop map?

Screen_Shot_2019_04_23_at_2.11.36_AM.0.png

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Must be nice to get the cardinals twice after their annual mid-season collapse.

Why is it their schedule doesn’t really look that tough to me, while ours does?
I get the first place schedule thing, but maybe it’s the layout altogether.

Not only do the 9ers get zona post collapse, like you say, but they get both games vs the Rams out of the way early. Their make or break division games down the stretch won’t involve the Rams?

The tough afc west matchups are nicely spread out and there are a few cupcakes early to get them a good start.
Hmm

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
My prediction is the 9ers sit jimmy g-string during pre-season while lance plays enough to “set the market” for grabmypole.
A risky but necessary gamble.

In retrospect, if the 9ers WERE offered 2 second rounders for grabmypole, they should’ve taken it. Worse case scenario is those 2 second rounders could be used to get another QB, should lance fail.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
My prediction is the 9ers sit jimmy g-string during pre-season while lance plays enough to “set the market” for grabmypole.

In retrospect, if the 9ers WERE offered 2 second rounders for grabmypole, they should’ve taken it. Worse case scenario is those 2 second rounders could be used to get another QB, should lance fail.
I doubt the veracity of Lynch's statement about 2 2nds being offered for JG. Even Bill O'Brien would have jumped at that offer.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When the fans know you’re full of sh*t about the 2-2nd round picks it’s cause for concern. Lynch looks like a complete fool with that statement. It’s crap like this that ruins front office careers IMO

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I doubt the veracity of Lynch's statement about 2 2nds being offered for JG. Even Bill O'Brien would have jumped at that offer.

When the fans know you’re full of sh*t about the 2-2nd round picks it’s cause for concern. Lynch looks like a complete fool with that statement. It’s crap like this that ruins front office careers IMO

Didn't San Francisco only give up one second round pick for Garapolo? Do they think he's gotten better while there (2 full games 42/59, 71%, 4 tds, no ints)? Is he younger? Has he been healthier? Is he cheaper? Are there more QB needy teams now? I'd answer 'no' to all of the above. I'd argue that he was more valuable the first time he was traded.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I don't know what's really happening with Jimmy Gag, but in reality, the forty whiners paid a king's ransom for Trey Lance and the fact that he's on the bench means he's not ready for prime time. The good thing for Ram's fans is that the whiners will have to pony up to keep Lance in another year or so since his rookie contract will be up. Plus dweebo is pouting and playing diva. Good times for the Rams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I didn’t see any of Lance’s 2021 games, but this summary is brutal.

The 49’ers should be a good team, but they might have botched the key piece.

Trey Lance is Not Good on Game Film​

Trey Lance did three things consistently well as the quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers: he ran the ball, he handed it off and he completed short passes.

That’s it.

This is what game film revealed against Seattle (7-10), Arizona (11-6) and Houston (4-13) during the 2021 regular season. These are the three games Lance saw the bulk of his playing time.

The study of game film is about identifying patterns and tendencies to develop a big-picture evaluation. It excludes the “one-off’s,” whether they end in a positive or negative result.

During these three games, Lance ran the ball 31 times (5.19 yards per attempt), handed it off 48 times, and threw 27 short range passes. That equates to Lance running, handing it off or throwing a short pass 71% of the time (106/150 plays). That was Lance’s comfort level in this offense, and 49ers’ coach Kyle Shanahan’s comfort level in play calling when Lance was in the game.

Lance proved to be dangerously erratic when he was attempting to throw the ball further downfield into the intermediate to deep route ranges.

Lance was extremely concerning in these four areas:

1. Intermediate route completion percentage

50% accuracy (15/30) completions in the intermediate route range. However, Lance did show steady improvement in this area incrementally. Against Seattle (1/6), Arizona (5/10) and Houston (9/14).

2. Ball placement at the intermediate route levels

Lance showed a tendency to deliver his passes either too high or too low at the intermediate route level. He delivered the ball too high seven times and too low six times. That equates to 13/30 throws. Passes delivered too high or too low can hinder receivers picking up additional yardage after the catch.

3. Deep accuracy

Lance was 33% accurate (2/6) when throwing the ball deep. On the two touchdowns he completed to receiver Deebo Samuel against Seattle and Houston, Samuel had to noticeably wait on both passes.

4. Ball Protection

In these three games, opposing defenses touched his passing attempts 11 times. That works out to almost four times (3.66) per game.

Here is a detailed look at Lance’s ball protection issue in these three games:

SF vs. SEA (4x)

3Q 9:04 Pass broken up downfield

4Q 11:20 Ball tipped at the line of scrimmage

4Q 8:52 Pass broken up and almost intercepted

4Q 6:57 Pass deflected downfield

SF vs. AZ (4x)

1Q 12:50 Pass intercepted intermediate route level

1Q 8:15 Ball tipped at the line of scrimmage

4Q 8:35 Ball tipped at the line of scrimmage

4Q 7:49 Ball tipped at the line of scrimmage

SF vs. HOU (3x)

2Q 9:17 Pass intercepted at the intermediate route level

3Q 12:42 Pass knocked down over the middle

3Q 11:11 Pass deflected downfield

Lance also struggled to convert on third downs in these three games, going 9/31 (29%), but was better on fourth downs (6/11, 55%).

San Francisco additionally had eight holding penalties (and four other offensive penalties) during this time frame.

Lance completed 57.7% of his passes in 2021, which ranks him No. 32 in the league (teamrankings.com), just slightly ahead of Jets QB Zach Wilson (55.6%).

These are not my opinions. This is what Lance himself put on game film.

This is Lance’s NFL resume, which concluded with a 33.4 ESPN QBR (which is defined as the adjusted total quarterback rating, this values the quarterback on all play types on a 0-100 scale adjusted for the strength of opposing defenses faced).

That number ranks Lance No. 29 QB in the league by ESPN’s standards.

These are the facts Shanahan is left with to consider.

Shanahan is also left with the most bottom line stat there is: San Francisco lost two out out of three of these games when Lance was in there, leading his team.

When expanding the sample size to include pre-season data from three preseason games (100 charted plays), Lance dramatically improved from 16% intermediate range accuracy to 50%, but decreased his deep accuracy from 50% to 33%. However. his third down conversion rate 7/23 (30%) and lack of ball protection (eight potential turnovers) remained alarmingly similar.

This is the conundrum Shanahan is faced with. This is why he hasn't come out and named Lance as the starter yet. This is why he hasn't parted with Jimmy Garoppolo yet. This is why Shanahan hasn't made a decision.

The raw data simply is not good enough to support one, so he's stalling.

Kid has played in 10 NFL quarters. Would be interesting to hear the commentary and comments had he had Mahomes type numbers in that same time frame.