2021 Cap set at $180M Minimum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not happening. Brockers played some of his best football and was much healthier last year. The rams have to keep the OTs!
Not to mention that $16M would not be anywhere near enough to extend Floyd, Fox and Williams.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not to mention that $16M would not be anywhere near enough to extend Floyd, Fox and Williams.

I disagree, but i'm not even considering the return of Fox, he'll finally be getting paid by some team. Keep in mind that should the Rams sign Floyd to a multi-year contract, his first year (2021) CAP hit could be kept as low as $7-8 mil., while a first round tender to Williams should come in under $5 mil. I'd trade Brockers & Havenstein in a heartbeat to make that happen. jmo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I disagree ...
Keep in mind that should the Rams sign Floyd to a multi-year contract, his first year (2021) CAP hit could be kept as low as $7-8 mil., while a first round tender to Williams should come in under $5 mil.

How Dare YOU!

Fair enough though. Long—term contracts can be structured to be very cap-friendly in the first year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah, Floyd being the tough one there. Staley will go hard at him.

It will be interesting ...
Staley would likely be more hands-on as his DC than he can be as a HC, many other responsibilities now. Chargers are a good team and should be on the rise after a 7 -9 season, but the Rams are already a legitimate play-off & Super Bowl contender, ... and he shouldn't forget about the Aaron Donald factor in terms of his future success. $12.5 mil. per for 4 years along with a $30 mil guarantee, ... and he stays a Ram. jmo.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Floyd, Littleton and Fowler, all played their best seasons alongside Donald... on other teams not so much. Something to consider.

If Staley goes hard for Floyd, doubtful he has the same impact there. But it's just that our loss could suck.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Floyd being the tough one there. Staley will go hard at him.

I will be very surprised if the Chargers don't outbid us for Floyd and we are somehow able to keep him. Plus Floyd may well prefer to play for Staley.

We will likely have a cheaper, plan B type OLB next year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I don't understand the point of doing that. The number of cap dollars is what it is. Not like colluding is going to increase the overall pot that can be given to players. If anything it'll just screw over other players.
There are a lot of people that question Smith's effectiveness leading the union and I think this just adds to it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
There are a lot of people that question Smith's effectiveness leading the union and I think this just adds to it.

I agree.

I'm not down with the really racist stuff others have put out there about Smith (not here, just the sports media/fan world), but I also really question his negotiating skills. He's just not focusing on what's best for ALL the union members.

He's furthered the notion that it's a QB's league and everyone else has to play Oliver for the rest of the pie. That's just not good for most of the players.

It sucks that the NFLPA seems to be fine with the extreme if the QBs got 80% of a growing pot, they'd tout the growth as the be all and end all instead of how badly the situation is for the majority of NFL players.

- The NFLPA needs to address short life positions like RB and Safety. A first round RB with two franchise tags can be completely exploited on a rookie deal whereas there are QBs playing into their 40s.

- The NFLPA needs to address the positional and cap disparity of the QB position relative to the rest of the players. Ask Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson if their team having an effective offensive line contributes to their success.

- The NFLPA needs to understand where the NFL is headed and negotiate accordingly. Negotiate with the goal of 18 games and the compensation levels at or above 50% as well as removing cannabis from the drug testing schedule. Include a cap freeze option if both sides agree in the event of another disaster/event which could put a season in peril. Revamp the rookie pay scale which might include only allowing 5 year options on QBs and shorten rookie deals by a year.

There are so many other areas for improvement.

I'm not saying that all starters be on equal footing paywise, but the QB situation is now as untenable as the Rookie pay scale was under the old CBA. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady weren't helping things any in their dealings with Smith and the NFLPA, especially Peyton Manning.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It will be interesting ...
Staley would likely be more hands-on as his DC than he can be as a HC, many other responsibilities now. Chargers are a good team and should be on the rise after a 7 -9 season, but the Rams are already a legitimate play-off & Super Bowl contender, ... and he shouldn't forget about the Aaron Donald factor in terms of his future success. $12.5 mil. per for 4 years along with a $30 mil guarantee, ... and he stays a Ram. jmo.

That’s a good point.

It feels so ”made to happen” to me. Floyd has followed Staley once... and if Staley wants his defense there, Floyd fits the Edge he desires perfectly... and can help with deployment of the new scheme.

Hope you’re right and I am wrong!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Also, how can Floyd's agent not take into account what happened with Fowler?

We know that Khalil Mack is a beast, but he never elevated Floyd's play.

AD put Floyd on track to make bank.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That’s a good point.

It feels so ”made to happen” to me. Floyd has followed Staley once... and if Staley wants his defense there, Floyd fits the Edge he desires perfectly... and can help with deployment of the new scheme.

Hope you’re right and I am wrong!

I'm not viewing it as a right or wrong issue, more of a wishful thinking issue on my part. Losing Floyd will be a major set-back for our defense imo, one i'd rather not try to comprehend just yet, not with such a limited amount of available CAP and so few high draft pick resources to play with. jmo.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Floyd is gone. Think we'll find another reclamation project in the form of a one year deal. Besides, how'd Floyd look against the Packers?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Floyd is gone. Think we'll find another reclamation project in the form of a one year deal. Besides, how'd Floyd look against the Packers?

Let's see, ... I believe Fowler carried a $9mil. CAP hit for us in 2019, and Floyd carried a $10mil. CAP hit for us in 2020, so please throw out some names on who you have as next seasons free agent 'reclamation' project ? I'll give you a name that will be less expensive for the Rams than what we paid in either 2019 or 2020, ... Leonard Floyd, because his first year of a longer term contract could easily be closer to $7mil.
And Floyd looking less than at prime in Green Bay likely due to some double teaming as Donald missed half the game from injury.
jmo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Let's see, ... I believe ... Floyd carried a $10mil. CAP hit for us in 2020 ...
I think the Rams have to carry another $3.3M against their cap in 2021 for Floyd reaching incentives in 2020.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think the Rams have to carry another $3.3M against their cap in 2021 for Floyd reaching incentives in 2020.

So that would be a dead money CAP hit in 2021 I assume, but if Floyd re-signed long-term, i'm guessing it could be restructured into his new contract. Either way, Floyd gets paid.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
So that would be a dead money CAP hit in 2021 I assume, but if Floyd re-signed long-term, i'm guessing it could be restructured into his new contract. Either way, Floyd gets paid.
Not sure if it’s classified as ‘dead-$’ but it appears to be on the Rams’ books against their 2021 cap.