2021 Cap set at $180M Minimum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know it wouldn't happen but a one year only soft cap like the NBA would be super interesting. Basically set a ceiling at the cap for last year.

Set the soft cap at 180 mil.

Tax the owners $1.25 for every $1.00 spent over the 180 mark (NBA starts at $1.50 I think).

I have no idea how many (if any) owners would spend up to the hard cap but I'd love to find out
That’s tough in small market teams in any sport. It would be interesting like @Elmgrovegnome stated. You’d see which owners have the deep pockets for players. Verse a few owners who would pull their “empty pockets” out like the monopoly guy...

47FBFF10-811E-4397-A655-56DA0AD3FC20.jpeg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still believe that regardless to what the cap number ends up being, that there will be some sort of tolerance or carry over for this 1 year. They collectively bargain for a reason and the less than can deviate from the previously hammered out deal, the better

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I predicted at the beginning of the season it would probably be about $180-$185M and I still think it might end up at $185M once the TV contract is finalized. That would give the Rams over $190M when carryover is factored in. So I'm anticipating a deficit of around $20M which can be cleared once the June 1 prorations are applied. Releasing Whitworth, Brockers and Havenstein will clear $15-$16M enough to extend Floyd, Fox and Williams.

Williams is a RFA which means this year could be used as a "cap friendly" year if they work out a multi=year extension like I anticipate they will do.

Fox is an UFA, but with only one real breakout year I see him being signed to an affordable 2-3 year deal. That said with Derek Rivers also an option I don't see a problem with a position that looks rotational right now. The other wildcard is how well Jonah Williams looks as he would be the logical replacement along with Lewis at DE.

With Robinson and Gaines looking to be ahead of SeaBas he could end up a cap casualty as they also will have Hoecht in the competition.

Yeah, this is going to be an interesting offseason.
IMO, we aren't getting rid of both Whitworth and Havenstein, and Robinson and Gaines aren't ahead of SJD. SJD had a great year and held on to his job.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think the $180M floor is going to be used to push for 17 games this season.

On a per game basis, adding a 17th game would raise the cap to $191,250,000 from $180M and the floor is slightly higher than that so somewhere between $191M and $192M.

I could see the NFLPA being okay with that since they know that eventually, we'll be at 18 games and it's a matter of negotiating something for it. I also think they'll look to end MJ as a tested drug if they haven't already.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder...

Don't they calculate performance bonuses against the cap on how likely they are to be hit? 17th game makes all of them more likely

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I wonder...

Don't they calculate performance bonuses against the cap on how likely they are to be hit? 17th game makes all of them more likely
If I'm not mistaken, they calculate likeliness based on whether or not it happened the previous year. If they did, they're "likely to be earned". If they didn't they are "not likely to be earned". It's up to teams to set the incentives at levels they can deal with cap wise for this year and the next (and have the player agree in the contract).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the $180M floor is going to be used to push for 17 games this season.

On a per game basis, adding a 17th game would raise the cap to $191,250,000 from $180M and the floor is slightly higher than that so somewhere between $191M and $192M.

I could see the NFLPA being okay with that since they know that eventually, we'll be at 18 games and it's a matter of negotiating something for it. I also think they'll look to end MJ as a tested drug if they haven't already.
The NFLPA has already conceded to having a 17th game in the CBA that was signed last year. If the owners want the 17th game in this year, it will be. It's totally their option

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah there's a lot going on here which affects the cap for 2021. Heck, if they land new 10 year TV deals and add a 17th game, we could still see the cap rise from last year
I think the said earlier this week that it won't reach 185.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe its time to let the old ways die...move Monday Night Football to another network. Preferably not a cable channel. Fox, CBS or NBC. The downside being more Collinsworth if NBC would take it over.

Psycho_X

Legend

Maybe its time to let the old ways die...move Monday Night Football to another network. Preferably not a cable channel. Fox, CBS or NBC. The downside being more Collinsworth if NBC would take it over.

Agreed, dump ESPN. If taking a smaller tv contract lets them start streaming games to anyone who wants to pay for it I'm all for it. Bring on the streaming and kill the directv/cable bullshit unless given an option to pay for it without either paywalls.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kind of like the idea of the 2 Monday nighters, 1 on ABC, the other on ESPN. Screw the Doubleheaders, ratings suck on Mondays anymore, so have another game be the alternative to a bad game vs Netflix

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I’m surprised they haven’t gone to a Tuesday night game yet. You could relatively easy do so for about a third/half the weeks by using two teams who have a bye the following week. Not that I’d want that, but money ya know

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They said it wont be lower than 180, they still dont have revenue figured out. Only speculation to the 185 number
Florio (take it for what it's worth) said that the nfl is telling people that 185 won't be reached and that 182-183 is the likely.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Florio (take it for what it's worth) said that the nfl is telling people that 185 won't be reached and that 182-183 is the likely.
Yeah, I get that, Florio taking a stab at it.
There's so much money out there, its in the owners best interest to keep the cap high as well to avoid a huge increase next year.

Ram65

Legend
Releasing Whitworth, Brockers and Havenstein will clear $15-$16M enough to extend Floyd, Fox and Williams.

Not happening. Brockers played some of his best football and was much healthier last year. The rams have to keep the OTs!