2021 Cap set at $180M Minimum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just reported the cap minimum will be $180M (previously was set at $175M).

That’s just the minimum.

Report states that a cap maximum has yet to be announced.

dang

Legend
At this point I guess setting a cap minimum helps teams plan but why not just wait to announce the 2021 cap. Isn’t that less than 2 weeks away?

Psycho_X

Legend
At this point I guess setting a cap minimum helps teams plan but why not just wait to announce the 2021 cap. Isn’t that less than 2 weeks away?

Some teams like to know how much money they HAVE to spend on their teams and other teams like to know how much they CAN spend on their teams. The salary cap floor is an exciting number for someone like Mike Brown, owner of the Bengals.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Love the Mike Brown dig.

This time of year, my focus is on Free Agency and how it impacts the Rams. Due to their cap situation and the impact of a COVID season, its mostly about getting down to the cap; and then about getting under the cap to do some business.

So the cap limit is critical. With a Floor of $180, I am considering the Ceiling. If it’s just 5-10% higher than the Floor, that would put the cap Ceiling between $189-$198M.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There seems to be a misunderstanding, the 180 isnt the floor.
When initially spoke about the potential decrease from the 198 mill cap in 2020, they used a number of 175 million.
THAT number has been increased to 180 million.
The minimum the cap will be is 180 mill, and now the owners will negotiate with the players based on 2020 rev and their projection of 2021.
Now is when a cap freeze or the like can be hammered out.
They cant come up with a floor until they figure out the true cap first

Malibu

Pro Bowler
As stated previously I believe the cap should be the same as last year. Why? Because no owner nor player could have anticipated the pandemic, thus they could not game out the future of the team. The players could not do anything to mitigate their 2021 situation say back in 2019 if they knew this was coming. Since they obviously couldn't have this is just not fair.

OWNERS - Sure owners like less payroll, but truthfully what is 20m less to them. It don't want to make light of saving money, but owners are billionaires and they want to win and would pay extra for the chance if allowed - so this lower cap # hurts the team. If the team can't put as good of a product on the field the owners will not save all 20m (assuming 180m) because their game, parking, concession revenues will be lower.

PLAYERS - this lowered cap # really affects the players who are going to be FAs. Just like the owners, players couldn't foresee Covid so more will not be resigned by cash strapped teams. Even worse teams trying to sign these FAs will not be able to offer as much which really sucks for the mid level FAs.

FANS - they too are screwed because strong teams that have a lot of players that need to be resigned NO, SF etc really take it in the shorts. So the product is watered down. Good teams get hurt because of the pandemic which is not fair.

Teams that have multiple expensive stars, dead cap $ like the Rams are really hindered by this tight cap. Just imagine if the cap was 198m we start at almost zero with restructures we have enough to sign jj or Floyd or go out and add one or two key pieces.

I still don't understand why the cap should go down. I understand the math part by the NFL but Covid should make it a mulligan year for the team owners and players. Everyone wins especially the fans.

dang

Legend
When initially spoke about the potential decrease from the 198 mill cap in 2020, they used a number of 175 million.
The minimum the cap will be is 180 mill, and now the owners will negotiate with the players based on 2020 rev and their projection of 2021.
geez. all my life I thought I knew what s floor was (until now). I guess a floor can be a door or a window or a chimney. blue font

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the correction.

Maybe a Mod can change the thread title from Floor to Minimum.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the correction.

Maybe a Mod can change the thread title from Floor to Minimum.
It's all in the perception, some call it a floor, some call it a minimum.
The true Cap floor IIRC is 89% of cap
Ahh, the media....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They need to freeze the cap and spread the losses.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still don't understand why the cap should go down. I understand the math part by the NFL but Covid should make it a mulligan year for the team owners and players. Everyone wins especially the fans.
Because the players and owners collectively bargained for the % of revenue which goes to the cap.
The owners independent losses are a different story.
Ultimately I think the owners and players will come up with an accomodation, but the players who will get hurt by a decrease cap are the veteran, last contract type guys. So while the owners are surely taking a haircut, you'll still see the top free agents sign top dollar deals, earning increases.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Freezing the cap is what I been saying all along.

Anything short of that is just spiteful accounting by people who don’t understand disruption or realignment

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know it wouldn't happen but a one year only soft cap like the NBA would be super interesting. Basically set a ceiling at the cap for last year.

Set the soft cap at 180 mil.

Tax the owners $1.25 for every $1.00 spent over the 180 mark (NBA starts at $1.50 I think).

I have no idea how many (if any) owners would spend up to the hard cap but I'd love to find out

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know it wouldn't happen but a one year only soft cap like the NBA would be super interesting. Basically set a ceiling at the cap for last year.

Set the soft cap at 180 mil.

Tax the owners $1.25 for every $1.00 spent over the 180 mark (NBA starts at $1.50 I think).

I have no idea how many (if any) owners would spend up to the hard cap but I'd love to find out

This would be interesting for teams that are close to a Superbowl run

oldnotdead

Legend
I predicted at the beginning of the season it would probably be about $180-$185M and I still think it might end up at $185M once the TV contract is finalized. That would give the Rams over $190M when carryover is factored in. So I'm anticipating a deficit of around $20M which can be cleared once the June 1 prorations are applied. Releasing Whitworth, Brockers and Havenstein will clear $15-$16M enough to extend Floyd, Fox and Williams.

Williams is a RFA which means this year could be used as a "cap friendly" year if they work out a multi=year extension like I anticipate they will do.

Fox is an UFA, but with only one real breakout year I see him being signed to an affordable 2-3 year deal. That said with Derek Rivers also an option I don't see a problem with a position that looks rotational right now. The other wildcard is how well Jonah Williams looks as he would be the logical replacement along with Lewis at DE.

With Robinson and Gaines looking to be ahead of SeaBas he could end up a cap casualty as they also will have Hoecht in the competition.

Yeah, this is going to be an interesting offseason.