2019 MLB playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I was a bit embarrassed when the Dodgers lost to the Nats 3-2 in the first round of the playoffs - but the Dodgers at least won 2 games. The Nats are up 2-0 over the Astros and are returning to Washington - they have now gone 10-2 in the playoffs, the only bump being the Dodgers winning two games. They are just amazingly hot right now.
I haven't watched it but if the Nationals pitching is still very good to excellent and their hitting is mediocre or better then it is difficult to lose. It's baseball.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
After robustly booing our president I now hope the Nationals lose. Preferably tonight.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
YAY Nats! Eff the stros

As a Dodger fan, makes me feel better. Dodgers were upset , 3-2 - but the rest of the playoffs including the WS Nats went 9-3, so it was basically a case of the Dodgers meeting a team which was very hot.

After the many whining articles about why the Dodgers fell short - it turns out it was likely because they faced a team playing exceedingly well.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like them to pick up another player or two, but frankly, they aren't the disaster that some "experts" said.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Eh. Mixed feelings about the Nats. Dodgers didn’t win it. Bummer.

That’s all that ultimately matters in my household.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh. Mixed feelings about the Nats. Dodgers didn’t win it. Bummer.

That’s all that ultimately matters in my household.
My favorite part is Bryce Harper sitting at home watching it. Not that he'll be too upset when he looks at his bank account but he chased the money and didn't get to take part in this. Plus the fact the stros are one of 3 teams I will always root against.

Tano

Legend
As a Dodger fan, makes me feel better. Dodgers were upset , 3-2 - but the rest of the playoffs including the WS Nats went 9-3, so it was basically a case of the Dodgers meeting a team which was very hot.

After the many whining articles about why the Dodgers fell short - it turns out it was likely because they faced a team playing exceedingly well.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like them to pick up another player or two, but frankly, they aren't the disaster that some "experts" said.
Thing is - if Roberts hadn't "overthunk" in the playoffs like he always does, I believe the Dodgers would have won. Game 5 was set up perfectly for them. Maeda in the 8th (who was exceedingly hot in the playoffs and struck out the side when he did come in) and Janson in the 9th (who seemed to overcome his pitching woes during the regular season and disposed of the two players in the 10th when he came in). Roberts blew the playoffs imo, just like he blew the past two world series with very questionable pitching moves in both series.

However, I think we would have lost to the Red Sox no matter what but if he made the same pitching decisions that he does in the regular season, I think it would have been a lot closer than it was. Use the pitchers that got you 105 wins. Don't overthink. He so ticks me off with the moves he makes in the playoffs.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
My favorite part is Bryce Harper sitting at home watching it.
On that we can agree. It is sad that pride in team and legacy is lost on so many big money players who are the standard bearer of their team. After already making big money they continue to chase a little more money from another team. BH might not get that WS ring and no amount of money will make up for ring envy if he is a prideful professional.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've posted why I don't like them. Do you mind explaining same?
The tank. They shit on their fans for years intentionally losing 90+ games all while sharing profits and getting extra draft picks for "competitive balance" while they weren't being competitive. Baseball punishes teams with taxes and will seize draft picks if you spend too much money but they don't have a floor. The Rays are another example there was a tweet that the Rays starting lineup vs Greinke in the playoffs was less money than Greinke was making. That shit is wrong and the owner will just make a ton of money off the other teams. If you're going to cap spending like they do then you should have a floor as well like the NFL does.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
The tank. They shit on their fans for years intentionally losing 90+ games all while sharing profits and getting extra draft picks for "competitive balance" while they weren't being competitive. Baseball punishes teams with taxes and will seize draft picks if you spend too much money but they don't have a floor. The Rays are another example there was a tweet that the Rays starting lineup vs Greinke in the playoffs was less money than Greinke was making. That shit is wrong and the owner will just make a ton of money off the other teams. If you're going to cap spending like they do then you should have a floor as well like the NFL does.
Thanks. Very interesting as I don't follow that stuff. Another valid reason to not like the Astros.(y)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The lastro's are the poster child for everything that's wrong with MLB.

Cmon man...I'm just with the local team. It was a great atmosphere everywhere this week.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I have a revolutionary idea for 2020. Let's use the same baseballs for the regular season and the postseason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a revolutionary idea for 2020. Let's use the same baseballs for the regular season and the postseason.
They've done this multiple years in a row now. When the Dodgers lost to the stros players were complaining about it then too. Another reason I'm losing interest in baseball.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cmon man...I'm just with the local team. It was a great atmosphere everywhere this week.
It was a pretty good atmosphere in Houston too when they were losing 100 games a year. Hell they even had a 0 tv rating for their local market a year or two. :) And yeah I get why you're rooting them on and it's nothing against the people in the area. Just hate what baseball has become the NBA is the same but I stopped watching that years ago.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Well the NFL game has degraded significantly over the last 40 years.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Back in the mid-nineties, my brother interned for the SF Giants while getting his Masters from SF State. As timing would have it the Giants started their public relations "Ball Dude" program, employing senior citizens to patrol the foul territories for foul balls.

As you could anticipate, hilarity ensued....

ball dude.jpg

Being an "insider" my bandwagon-Niner-loving brother was able to get my dad in as one of the original Ball Dudes.

Dad had some of his greatest memories getting to know the players, then-Manager Dusty Baker, and especially the announcers Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow, who would tease him mercilessly, as he displayed his, ...ahem... skills on the field. I've got some great stories I could tell, maybe another time.

But one of the cool stories I wanted to tell today actually involves the new World-Series Champion Washington Nationals.

Dad enjoyed 13 years as a ball-dude, and once was featured on ESPN Plays of the Week, you got it, for doing a full face-plant. Chris Berman slowed down the footage and did his best Cosell, "Down goes Frazier!" as they showed my poor dad's face bouncing off the Pac-Bell grass. :ROFLMAO:

Well, when the Giants left Candlestick for Pac-Bell in 2000, PR Director Sue Peterson opened up the Ball Dude program, including allowing the old dudes to work with their sons. :)

As a Dodger fan, it was a bit nauseating donning the Giants uniform, but the experience was awesome! I did a 3-game series against the Texas Rangers July of 2000 with my dad.

I was able to talk to JT Snow for a while, and tell him his dad Jack was one of my first Ram heroes. JT, of course, is a Rams fan, by the way! So we talked some Rams, as they were newly crowned SB champs at the time. (This was July 2000)

Dusty Baker was another guy I was able to talk to about the old Dodger teams. Dusty talked baseball with my dad a lot. He later remembered my name and said "Hi, John." after just meeting him the day before. I was pretty blown away.

Anyway, I was working the second game of the series down the visitors side (first base) and sitting on my little stool. Between innings the bullpen catcher had to run out from the main dugout and warm up the right fielder. The design of that stadium is pretty crappy, and the bullpen consists of a small dugout cage. Guys only come out there if they are actually warming up.

Around the 4th inning the Rangers bullpen catcher approached me with a ball, and said, "Hey man, do you mind warming up my right fielder?" :oops: I jumped at the chance. "Sure, no problem!" So for the next 5 innings, and the whole next game, between innings, I got to warm up....

martinez.jpg

Current World Series Champion, Nats Manager Dave Martinez!

And for a couple innings - when the Ranger left fielder was slow to get out there, I had to play some long ball catch with center fielder....

ab515e1778cc2794c0a60877491742b2--texas-rangers-baseball-players.jpg

Just fired Philly Manager Gabe Kapler! Pretty cool. :sneaky: