CAMP REPORT 2018 NFL Draft: Rounds 2-3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

JOSEPH NOTEBOOM
TCU
OT
Prospect Info
COLLEGE
TCU
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Plano, TX
Senior

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 5"
309 lbs
34 3/8”
HANDS
9 5/8”
Prospect Grade
CHANCE TO BECOME NFL STARTER
HOW WE GRADE
2018 Draft Results
DRAFTED BY
LOS ANGELES RAMS
RAMS
LA.svg

Round 3 ‧ Pick 25
GO TO PICK

40 Yard Dash
SECONDS

Bench Press
REPS

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

60 Yd Shuttle
--
SECONDS

SEE MORE RESULTS

PLAYLIST
Noteboom was a lean and athletic honorable mention all-state pick from Plano, Texas before signing on with the Horned Frogs. The three-time All-Academic Big 12 pick has not missed a game since redshirting the 2013 season. He played as a reserve in 2014, then took over the right tackle spot for all 13 games as a sophomore. Noteboom moved to the blind side for 2016, starting every game and showing agility in pass protection that NFL scouts admire at the position despite growing into his frame. Big 12 coaches voted him honorable mention all-conference as a senior, as he started all 14 games at the left tackle spot.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 2-3
Overview
Noteboom flashes the technique, hand usage, and athleticism you want out of the position but he doesn't do those things with enough consistency. His inability to gain and secure positioning as a move blocker is a concern as is his consistency as a finisher in running game. Noteboom was one of the tackles who flashed at the Senior Bowl in one-on-one drills and had a great workout at the Combine. The tape says day three, but his work during the "draft season" should get him drafted on the second day with a chance to become an early NFL starter.
Strengths
  • Has an NFL frame with room to pile on more muscle
  • Has adequate dip and scoop hip flexion to create leverage as a drive blocker
  • Does a good job of working hip-to-hip on double-team blocks
  • Hand strength is solid
  • Can latch onto defender's jersey with his hands to help him ride out the block
  • Runs feet under initial contact for improved sustain as run blocker
  • Comfortable quick-setting on top of edge rushers
  • Shows ability to hasten pass slide rather than using cross-over footwork to catch rushers at the top of the arc
  • Can pass set with good posture when he wants to
  • Good athlete in space
  • Leads the charge when asked to pull and is comfortable handling screen blocking duties
Weaknesses
  • Prolonged tape work offers plenty of inconsistencies in performance
  • Technique slips when matched against power
  • Will lean and engulf with wide hands in pass pro
  • Rushers who ramp up speed-to-power are a problem for him
  • Wide hands open his frame to stab moves that walk him into quarterback's face
  • Fails to gain early ground in kick-slides
  • Opens outside hip early in pass sets giving rushers a much softer edge to attack
  • Needs to play with faster hands and a more efficient punch
  • Takes inefficient paths to easy wall-off blocks allowing defensive ends to slide inside his block
  • Inconsistent getting to his lateral blocks
Sources Tell Us

"I was disappointed when I finally sat down and studied him. I couldn't find that one thing that I really loved about him and he looked a lot smaller than his listed weight when I watched the tape. I think he has a lot of work to do." - NFL offensive line consultant

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a developmental LT. He has plenty of talent. But he's not Shaquem Griffin. Don't make me grumpy, Rams. You better get Shaquem and Holland tomorrow.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Overview
Noteboom flashes the technique, hand usage, and athleticism you want out of the position but he doesn't do those things with enough consistency. His inability to gain and secure positioning as a move blocker is a concern as is his consistency as a finisher in running game. Noteboom was one of the tackles who flashed at the Senior Bowl in one-on-one drills and had a great workout at the Combine. The tape says day three, but his work during the "draft season" should get him drafted on the second day with a chance to become an early NFL starter.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joseph-noteboom?id=32462018-0002-5598-41da-500c69ebbff9

nighttrain

Legend
Joey Noteboom???? Help me out what is the deal with this guy?
Joseph Noteboom, OT, TCU: 2018 NFL Draft Scouting Report

by Erik Lambert1 month agoFollow @ErikLambert1

Joseph Noteboom is part of one of the more mysterious tackle groups in recent memory. He’s talented, but is he worthy of going high in this draft?
Position: OT

School: TCU

Year: Senior

Height: 6’5″

Weight: 319 lbs

STRENGTHS:
  • Has a big body and a good power base. Defenders tend to go the opposite direction when he gets a head of steam coming at them.
  • Seems to have adequate footwork. Isn’t caught flat-footed very often and does a good job of anchoring against bull rushes.
  • Shows solid awareness to pick up pass rushers late either after double-team blocks or on stunts and blitzes, managing to run them out of their lanes to the QB.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
A good athlete can pass protect, fits the zone scheme well. Not surprised they went OT, but I'm surprised they went with Noteboom with Crosby on the board. Crosby must have flunked his medicals.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Wade, can you please tell us the master plan at line backer?
I'm getting scared

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
JOSEPH NOTEBOOM | TCU 6050 | 309 lbs. | rSR. Plano, Texas (Plano) 6/28/1995 (age 22.8) #68

BACKGROUND: A three-star defensive end recruit out of high school, Joseph “Joe” Noteboom, who also starred as a club hockey player, was a sophomore tight end at Plano Senior before moving to defensive end and guard as a junior. He transitioned to left tackle as a senior, earning Honorable Mention all-state honors. Relatively new to the tackle position, Noteboom wasn’t considered a top recruit and committed to nearby TCU over offers from Texas Tech, Purdue and Duke. After redshirting in 2013, he played in all 13 games as a reserve in 2014. Noteboom became a sophomore starter and split his playing time between left and right tackle in 2016. He started exclusively at left tackle as a junior and started all 13 games. Noteboom started all 14 games at left tackle as a senior, earning All-Big 12 Honorable Mention honors. He accepted his invitation to the 2018 Senior Bowl.

YEAR (GP/GS)

2013: Redshirted

2014: (13/0)

2015: (13/13) 11 RT, 2 LT

2016: (13/13) 13 LT

2017: (14/14) 14 LT

Total: (53/40) 29 LT, 11 RT

HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP

COMBINE 6050 309 34 3/8 09 5/8 83 1/2 4.96 2.88 1.71 24 08’06” 4.44 7.65 27

PRO DAY N/A (positional drills only)

STRENGTHS: Broad shouldered frame with functional length…initial quickness to cut off wide speed…anchor issues, but sinks just enough to slow down speed-to-power moves…athleticism to advance to the second level and block outside the numbers on screens/stretch plays…rolls his hips at contact to engage and challenge defenders…competitive and looks to finish…collapses the line on down blocks…earned Academic All-Big 12 honors each of the last four seasons and graduated with his undergraduate degree (May 2017), playing as a graduate student as a senior…durable and started 40 straight games to finish his career, including starts at left and right tackle – also practiced at guard.

WEAKNESSES: Tall pass-sets…pads continue to rise once engaged, struggling to regain leverage…marginal anchor and plays too much on his heels…wide hands and soft punch, failing to create blow-back at contact…doesn’t maximize body angles…jarred off-balance, losing vision and footing…suspect sustain skills and upper body ends up overextended…out of control at the second level, ending up on the ground…has excess weight on his body…false start penalties were a negative trend.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at TCU, Noteboom lined up in a two- and three-point stance as a left tackle for the Horned Frogs’ offense, starting 40 straight games to finish his collegiate career. His lower body movements are encouraging, which was confirmed with his quality numbers in the athletic drills at the Scouting Combine. Noteboom looks to deliver a jolt, but he isn’t a sustain player, lunging and struggling to stay square to his target. His effectiveness will greatly improve with better lower body sink and timing with his technique. Overall, Noteboom’s college tape is a mix of sloppy and successful snaps, but he has the resume and traits to move his way up a NFL depth chart, eventually pushing for starting reps at tackle or guard.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously somebody they think can be coached up to be Whitworth's replacement. Still growing, good hands, smart but still a little raw. Not who I would have taken, but I can see why they'd want him.

Psycho_X

Legend
Overview
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joseph-noteboom?id=32462018-0002-5598-41da-500c69ebbff9

Snead loves him some Senior Bowl performers.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I'm not gonna lie... that was anti-climatic. I was hoping for more of a splash or exciting pick.

Does anyone know what we got for trading down? I can't find anything online

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Dont think Noteboom will be the last OL drafted by the Rams. Good pick, have to develop those OL.