2016 Undrafted Free Agents

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robert

Rookie
Randolph looks pretty impressive to me found a descent read on him. Found it here http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ects-who-caught-my-eye-this-2016-draft-season

If you've made it this far, you probably have no clue who this guy is. That's fine because neither did I until someone I follow on twitter brought up what he did at the pro day. 31 reps on the bench and all of a sudden I found myself scrambling to find results from his pro day and to my delight I saw a 4.40 40 yard dash ranging as high as a 4.50 and a 3 cone drill under 7.00.

Now of course my first question was did he play like that on film and sure enough I saw a play against Alabama (you'll see it in the video below) where he's playing single high coverage and not only does Jacob Coker underthrow it on purpose to avoid getting picked off, this guy explodes to the ball and showed off some of the greatest closing speed I've seen from a safety in coverage in this draft class. Range is another word for it too.

So what is his strengths and who does he remind me of? For one he's a good tackler who shows some boom, he looks to have range to play in the back end of the secondary, he flips his hips well enough, shows good instincts and closing speed in coverage along with run support, he shows quick feet, and showed some position versatility playing in the box and in the back end.

Combine that with some of his fixable flaws like his tendency to not wrap up when going low (going for the boom hit), along with having a high backpedal, he reminds me of Reggie Nelson. Nelson goes for that big hit low a lot and he plays on the back end a lot and normally shows great closing speed and range. That's why I compare him to Nelson. Now if he can fix his backpedal I would love to see what he could do in the NFL. He's already hard at work trying to fix his tackling technique:

I don't know why this guy is almost foreign to many who follow the draft, I can't even find one scouting report on him from this year. People forgot him and he knows it and maybe the fact people had projected him running a 4.7 at his pro day might have to do with that. That doesn't make sense to me or him as the film did not show somebody even close to that slow. It's like people just say stuff but didn't actually watch the film which is just bogus, if you didn't watch the guy, don't make yourself look foolish with a comment like that. He certainly doesn't lack the confidence either:

If you don't remember Justin Coleman from last year's draft who wound up being completely under the radar the whole draft season and wound up contributing for New England, that's how I see this guy ending up. Look out for Brian Randolph in the future because he's going to make plays on special teams early that'll get him noticed and don't be surprised if you see him playing on defense and seeing him playing well. Brian Randolph is my Justin Coleman of this year's draft.

View: https://youtu.be/cw4RT-Ye7kw

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did a look up on this kid because his production numbers are eye popping and while I'm not entirely familiar with the Colorado program since they fell off the map, I was expecting to see a pass happy offense.
Boy was I surprised. This kid caught almost 200 for 2250 in the last 2 seasons. But the kicker is that is over 1 third of the production. QBs only had about 300 completions and 3000 yards each season.
I'll keep my eye on this one

I like Spruce. Does the little things well and really catches the ball well. Don't know if he'll stick due him not being a great athlete but he might fight for the practice squad. I wish he was a twitchier athlete. If he more twitched up, his lack of speed wouldn't be as big of an issue. Still, I hope he succeeds. He carried that Colorado passing game. If he does stick, it'll likely be as a special teamer and a SL or a Z.

if you want to see some teammate on future teammate crime. Randolph absolutely annihilate pharoh cooper the way Rodney cracked Emmanuel Sanders a few years back.

Ran a 4.4 and benched 31 reps more than most lineman. How did they find this guy? I have never heard of him but he could be a big time steal. Could start games as early as this year.

As a South Carolina fan, that hit pissed me off something fierce. McLeod's hit was legit. Sanders was making a play on the ball and McLeod separated him from the ball. Hard hit, legal hit (even though it was flagged), and a necessary hit.

Randolph's hit was a dirty cheap shot to try and take out South Carolina's only offensive weapon. And it might have had to do with the way Cooper embarrassed Tennessee's defense the year before. If he had hit Cooper as the ball was getting there, fine. But he hit him after the ball was batted down and Cooper had started to pull up.

Anyways, I hope the kid does well. He's a Ram. I'll be rooting for him. But I also hope he doesn't pull that shit in the NFL. I like it when Rams defenders put a beating on opposing offenses. I even like it when they toe the line between tough and dirty. But there is a line for me. I don't want to see our guys cross it. Randolph definitely crossed it on that play.

But he's a great athlete with a lot of starting experience in the SEC. Hoping for the best with him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I got about 3 names into the list and thought to myself who's writing this garbage? Hahaha atta boy 3K keep it up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like we signed WR Duke Williams Auburn, Snead couldn't help himself I guess. Also read on another board that Spruce has been working with Goff the last couple months and it was Goff that suggested the Rams take grab him in the UDFA period.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Spruce. Does the little things well and really catches the ball well. Don't know if he'll stick due him not being a great athlete but he might fight for the practice squad. I wish he was a twitchier athlete. If he more twitched up, his lack of speed wouldn't be as big of an issue. Still, I hope he succeeds. He carried that Colorado passing game. If he does stick, it'll likely be as a special teamer and a SL or a Z.
He kind of reminds me of a guy I liked, that you didn't, and of course you were right about in Jeff Maehl

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
According to our esteemed cry baby rival teams board, Rudolph is a Fisher kind of guy?
But what about Randolph? :whistle:
Had the DB not got his hands on that ball Randolph would have been arriving just as the ball arrived to Cooper.
Not too sure about that but you can see Randolph look back to see the pass wasn't getting there and then just zeroed in on his target. That is a cheap shot plain and simple. I just have to hope that if he makes the team, he doesn't pull that kind of crap. There is one thing to being a tough SOB and inflicting pain. There is another thing to just blatantly trying to take someone out with no real plan on making a legal play.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Not too sure about that but you can see Randolph look back to see the pass wasn't getting there and then just zeroed in on his target. That is a cheap shot plain and simple. I just have to hope that if he makes the team, he doesn't pull that kind of crap. There is one thing to being a tough SOB and inflicting pain. There is another thing to just blatantly trying to take someone out with no real plan on making a legal play.

I do see him look at the ball, but that is before his DB gets his hands on it. He looks up at the ball see's that it is headed in the direction of the receiver and then turns his attention on the receiver. Other than the DB getting his hands on the ball instead of the receiver, how is this different than the hit Mcloed put on Emmanuel Sanders?

Violent? Yes
Deserved to earn a penalty? Yes
Call him a dirty player from this bang bang type of play? Nah. This is a fast moving game.

Just rather have him track the ball. That's the worst thing I see from this play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do see him look at the ball, but that is before his DB gets his hands on it. He looks up at the ball see's that it is headed in the direction of the receiver and then turns his attention on the receiver. Other than the DB getting his hands on the ball instead of the receiver, how is this different than the hit Mcloed put on Emmanuel Sanders?

Violent? Yes
Deserved to earn a penalty? Yes
Call him a dirty player from this bang bang type of play? Nah. This is a fast moving game.

Just rather have him track the ball. That's the worst thing I see from this play.

It wasn't even remotely similar to the McLeod play. McLeod hit Sanders as the ball hit his hands. Randolph hit Cooper as Cooper was pulling up because the play was over. You can visibly see Cooper looking back for the ball, look forward, and start to slow down/pull up and then Randolph hits him. Cooper didn't even have his arms up or his head back like he was trying to catch the football. Randolph knew exactly what he was doing.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Looks like we signed WR Duke Williams Auburn, Snead couldn't help himself I guess. Also read on another board that Spruce has been working with Goff the last couple months and it was Goff that suggested the Rams take grab him in the UDFA period.
Where did you pick this up? Haven't seen it anywhere on the internet

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where did you pick this up? Haven't seen it anywhere on the internet
Which part? Both came from another board. The Spruce info came from a guy who went to high school with him.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
It wasn't even remotely similar to the McLeod play. McLeod hit Sanders as the ball hit his hands. Randolph hit Cooper as Cooper was pulling up because the play was over. You can visibly see Cooper looking back for the ball, look forward, and start to slow down/pull up and then Randolph hits him. Cooper didn't even have his arms up or his head back like he was trying to catch the football. Randolph knew exactly what he was doing.

I just don't buy that he knew the ball wasn't going to get there. Did he want to lay out South Carolinas star? Ya he probably did. He may have been head hunting. I watch the play and I see a guy that really wants to lay the wood on a receiver. But I don't buy that he knew the play was dead and was laying the wood no matter what.

However had he focused on the ball more he probably comes up with an INT rather than the hit and ejection.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He didn't even try to track the ball. That is where the problem becomes obvious. He had a completely defenseless receiver slowing up on the play and he took him out. He even had every opportunity to square at his mid section but chose to go high. That is really hard to watch as it could end someone's ability to even eat soup.

Look - I hate the wussification of the NFL and to a lesser extent college and think more often than not these kinds of calls are bullshit. But in this case, he had one aim and that is not how you are supposed to play the game - not at any time in the 4 decades plus I have been watching the game. Does that make him a dirty player? Not necessarily as I haven't seen anything that says this is how he plays the game on a regular basis. Was this a dirty play? Absolutely.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No .. .the Duke Williams thing. I did see he was going to get a tryout, but not that he has signed
Yeah initial reports were signed now they've corrected themselves to be just a workout.