2016-Rams trade up to #1 (old thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sure be excited but also prepare for some huge disappointments as well.

we are rams fans we are used to the disappointments ;)

im just going to revel in the fact that we we have a shot at a possible franchise QB

Ram Man

Rookie
still buzzing off this move made my day

lets not forget we will most likely after we make the pick have 4 QBs in the roster Pick/foles/Manion/keenum

there was talk Denver wanted Keenum .. hence the first round tender ..now wahts to say that Snish isn't on the phone to Elway now saying still want Case for a 2nd ? how about foles for a 3rd ?

still a long way to go to the opening game boys

If Snish can make either of those trades you mention he should do it immediately.
With all due respect, how many times have you seen teams draft a franchise QB prospect and a #1 WR prospect in the same draft?

Normally it would be reasonable to expect the Rams to pick up "a #1 WR prospect" in the 2017 draft. But now they don't have a first or third round pick in 2017.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Thoughts:

1) Holy sh!t.
2) HOLY SH!T!!!!!!
3) I'm a little nervous about the amount of draft capital we gave up, given our need for playmakers in other positions.
4) That being said, I'm sure some of item 3) will melt away the first time I see Wentz or Goff in a Rams uniform
5) It will melt completely away if Wentz or Goff pans out as a franchise QB
6) Given our lack of draft capital this year, I want Les and Fish to saturation bomb the WR/TE position with UDFA's after the draft
7) The eventual pick will be helped greatly by the presence of Gurley and an improving OL ... all those OL picks last year are looking pretty good right about now.
8) Is this going to be the most interesting Hard Knocks or what? Return to LA, plus new QB/#1 draft pick. The NFL and HBO execs must be salivating.

Hang on, boys. We're in for a wild ride.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Wish they'd take goff but probably will be wentz. I can still hope though, and we sad if it's wentz.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
One other thought ... are all you guys who were mad at Fisher for proclaiming Keenum the starting QB going to the season still mad at him?

Actually, thinking about the playing styles of Wentz and Keenum, Case might be the perfect long-term backup for the Rams. Hope he has a good TC.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I have lost a lot of faith in the organization after this joke of a move. Nothing like putting all our eggs in one basket with a franchise crippling trade.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just like some of us were saying - it was going to take a huge number of picks to get up to the top for the Rams' choice of QB. That will be fine - if Wentz turns out to be the real deal. Otherwise the Rams will suffer for years, of course - without cheap draft picks to let them keep their free agents or sign new ones. It will take some serious hitting on picks to mitigate.

On the positive side, if Wentz is the real deal then the Rams will save a ton of cap room for 5 years for resigning players, which will help a lot. It's a huge risk though, but I of course will support it wholeheartedly now. Poor Jacksonville though - short one new fan.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Yeah, but the Redskins suck. They didn't win. They gave away the future. The team is in shambles. Think where that team could be if they would have kept all those picks? That was a stupid move by Washington and it's going to take a while before they can be a consistent winner again.

It'd be great to get a Manning or Newton. But what if we get a RG3 or a Bradford? We gave up a whole bunch. I'm hoping they saw something in one of these guys that got them excited.

Really excited.

Because we just went all in and we bet the house.

Truth is we had to take a chance. Im not convinced the franchise QB is in this draft but I hope I am wrong. I think Goff and Wentz can be both very good QBs though and that may be enough to get us over the hump. Personally I would of explored trying to trade for Garoppolo or Glennon but I can see why they went this route too.

I dont get the Redskins suck thing though. If they suck, what are we? I also think they are in a position in which they can win again next year and be consistent. What they did was not stupid, it may not have worked out the way they hoped but if its stupid its only because RGIII didnt work out.

If we get a RGIII or Bradford so be it. We are not winning with Keenum or Mannion so a bunch of draft picks dont help if we have no QB. Yes it was a lot but at some point they had to take a gamble on a QB, they are not winning without one.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been critical of them this offseason. Now I am so happy they saw what most of us saw....we would just be treading water with no QB. Now? HELL YES!!!

I hope they add a vet WR...but with a good running game, a QB, Britt/Quick/Stedman/Tavon can be okay. Plus Stefon Diggs was a 6th round pick...we can still get a decent WR in the 4th round. And with two 4th round picks and two sixth round picks....and hopefully a 5th round pick coming to us for Foles or Mason....we have ammo to trade up to the 3rd if a WR falls that we like.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams will not suffer for years. Losing both McCleod and Jenkins will likely gain us 3rd and 4th round comp picks next year. That means all we are missing after this draft is our 1st round pick next year. And given that we have huge contracts coming up, that's not a terrible thing as it saves us cap space.

Suffering for years is a dramatic over reach. This was just a great move all the way around. Can still get weapons in next years draft if needed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Snish can make either of those trades you mention he should do it immediately.

Normally it would be reasonable to expect the Rams to pick up "a #1 WR prospect" in the 2017 draft. But now they don't have a first or third round pick in 2017.
I didn't realize the first round was the only place to get a #1 WR, Antonio Brown and his sixth round pick wanna talk to you.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
The Rams will not suffer for years. Losing both McCleod and Jenkins will likely gain us 3rd and 4th round comp picks next year. That means all we are missing after this draft is our 1st round pick next year. And given that we have huge contracts coming up, that's not a terrible thing as it saves us cap space.

Suffering for years is a dramatic over reach. This was just a great move all the way around. Can still get weapons in next years draft if needed.
Not 100% accurate. We would have received those comp picks even if we didn't give away our own. Your point about cap space has some merit however.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Breaking News!!! Rams Titans News conference coming up in just moments on NFLN!!!!!!!

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
HOLY SHIT!
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!
RVFhSiR.gif

fancents86

Starter
I on some level agree with you but at the same time its a little short sighted. What if the QB. we select becomes the next Cam Newton or Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Aikman, etc then IMO the deal is a steal for us.

I think its also worth noting in the 4 years since the RGIII trade they have won 2 divisions and have 2 playoff berths and even went through a coaching change in year 2 and they are supposed to be disfunctional.

Ya, they didnt get what they wanted with Griffen but they also were able to overcome it.
That's what I was also getting at. They wasted 3 first rd draft picks and they didn't even need to. Imagine if they had kept those and still grabbed cousins or some else in the next draft.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's what I was also getting at. They wasted 3 first rd draft picks and they didn't even need to. Imagine if they had kept those and still grabbed cousins or some else in the next draft.

Yes, it was the Redskins' hitting on Cousins that has made the difference - for an extra fourth in effect they got their franchise QB. If they didn't have a QB, and had lost all that depth from the RG3 trade they would be in trouble.

Snisher need to hit on their few remaining picks - get quality backups some of whom become starters in the late rounds or they will have depth problems going forwards.

At least they already have their line substantially set, and a top RB.