FEATURE 20 Random Thoughts Under Pressure

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Our offensive line is the main problem hands down followed by lack of skilled playmakers outside of Kupp that can make a play on their own. Hopefully as we get healthier that improves enough. Heard McCaffrey isn't happy. I'd take him on but his contract is a huge deterrent. Not sure who is out there to be had for the offensive line if we attempt to trade for more talent there.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams had more TOP this week and last week.

Give him the personnel and they attack more.

And, more importantly.. the defense did its job the last two weeks. Period.

What about Raheem Morris?

—What I know is this! AD99 is such a special player.He really means a lot to The Rams.Sort of a once in a live time player.

Talk about a class act person in regards to his dedication on & off the field. His Father should be so proud.

Talk about a HUMBLE PLAYER. Any one that wants to talk crap about The Rams & how bad they maybe playing. One thing you’ll get is 100% AD99 all the time.

Could go on -

I’ve been one to under-appreciate AD99,but now I’m one to think WOW. How lucky have Ram Fans been. Just
Think if Les Snead(Mcfish) only had 1 first rd draft pick in what 2014(Greg Robinson).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Stafford is running around for his LIFE. Rob Havenstien giving up that last suck days it all against Dallas. I couldn’t even fathom watching the game.Saddly rather watch the Niners.

Didn’t see it,but Tutu Atwell finally got his first TD. I made the call for 5 TD’s and DJ1 numbers in 2021.Still a lot of season left.

Les Snead always tLks about winning in April. Well the 9ers,Seahawks,& Zona really are holding there own. Dallas showed 2021 with Parsons. The fact is Les Snead does a GREAT job in late drafts & beyond.

The FACT is you look at KC & see #52 in the middle of there Offense. A Bug Meat & Potato guy.I’ll just say I LOVE A’ JACKSON & leave it at BRUSSSSSS & Tutu Atwell.
Our offensive line is the main problem hands down followed by lack of skilled playmakers outside of Kupp that can make a play on their own. Hopefully as we get healthier that improves enough. Heard McCaffrey isn't happy. I'd take him on but his contract is a huge deterrent. Not sure who is out there to be had for the offensive line if we attempt to trade for more talent there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jourdan just says on a tweet she can see/feel change coming. This almost reminds me of the Marcus Peters flurry of trades.
One can hope, but even if they trade for an OL, can he play ASAP? The injuries on the front have been surmountable and to this point besides Whit coming back, which I don't think is the right call either things are just trending downward.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the Rams are going to make a move or two, I’d think there would be a significant impetus to do so before the bye, so…stay tuned!

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
1) it’s one thing that an OL manned by backups is having its struggles, but our BEST OL (Havs) did not have good night either.
2) Both Akers and Henderson have their issues. Akers is hit or miss (mostly miss) because he’s always got by on above average athleticism. He doesn’t have the discipline or fundamentals to consistently read holes and as a result can be tentative at times or just not see it.
Henderson thinks he’s SJ39 in, well, a Henderson body. He charges through the hole aimed at the next level, would-be tackler. He’s designed for 20+ touches a game, run or pass. The problem is he won’t last more than 2 games with that kind of load. He’s NOT SJ 39. Like him in the passing game, but he’s not gonna routinely carry the ball like a bell cow back.
3) Robinson is being misused based on his ability vs expectations. His route running is not crisp enough to consistent open. He’s better suited for the red zone fades and back shoulders and sideline go routes. Throwing 3 yard outs to get him involved is desperate.
4) Nice to see Gaines making a play behind the LOS. There needs to be more big plays like that to get off the field. Waiting for Donald to make a play and save us is not gonna sustain this defense. Where are the big plays from Floyd or Jones or Lewis or Scott?
Getting off of the field is an issue.
5) Powell is a bright spot. He’s bringing energy and fearlessness to the game. Loving his overall aggressive nature whether he has the ball or not. You can add Kendrick and Haley to that category.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I remember when I would look at the schedule before the McVay era. There were no games I could pencil in as a win because we were that bad. I would see some maybe's and some sure losses. I'm looking at next week as a maybe. The 49er game is a sure loss. Tampa's defense is too strong for our line after that. Maybe not a sure loss because their offense is struggling. But they odds are against us in that one.

I expect us to be 3-5. If we lose next week I think we can start planning on what next year's rebuild should be. We're not coming back from 2-6. Not to mention if we can't beat the Panthers we really are that bad. I hear Baker Mayfield had an injury. I hope its not enough to prevent him from playing us.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
One can hope, but even if they trade for an OL, can he play ASAP? The injuries on the front have been surmountable and to this point besides Whit coming back, which I don't think is the right call either things are just trending downward.
Rt now just need to hold on for Carolina rt with Allen back. Then a bye correct? That's when I think anything gets done get any new player or players acclimated and if by miracle we 3-3 it's the speech of new season starts now reinforcements healthy yada yada yada.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I remember when I would look at the schedule before the McVay era. There were no games I could pencil in as a win because we were that bad. I would see some maybe's and some sure losses. I'm looking at next week as a maybe. The 49er game is a sure loss. Tampa's defense is too strong for our line after that. Maybe not a sure loss because their offense is struggling. But they odds are against us in that one.

I expect us to be 3-5. If we lose next week I think we can start planning on what next year's rebuild should be. We're not coming back from 2-6. Not to mention if we can't beat the Panthers we really are that bad. I hear Baker Mayfield had an injury. I hope its not enough to prevent him from playing us.
Or…

We beat Carolina.

Get healthy at the bye, get Jefferson back, others.

Beat the 49’ers at home and at 4-3 takeover first place. :horns:

I like my scenario better. Go figure it out, McVay!

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
This is one of the better articles that I have read

The Los Angeles Rams can't protect Matthew Stafford and it's unraveling them

Christian D'Andrea
October 10, 2022 8:01 am ET
Matthew Stafford came into 2022 beat up. Offseason elbow surgery forced him to miss a string of preseason practices and games. When he finally took the field for meaningful snaps, the high octane arm strength that defined his career seemed to be missing.

The hope was it would come back over time. After all, Stafford shook off a bum elbow late in 2021 and still rallied the Los Angeles Rams to a Super Bowl win. This season, however feels different.

And it’s because the Rams offensive line can’t keep its overwhelmed veteran quarterback upright.

Stafford’s sack rate had doubled between last season and the first four weeks of 2022, from 4.8 to 9.6. On Sunday, at home against a Dallas Cowboy team that leads the league in quarterback pressures, Stafford was stuck running for his life and, entirely too often, peeling himself up from the SoFi Stadium turf in a 22-10 loss that dropped the reigning champions to 2-3 on the season.

Stafford was sacked five times and hit 11 more on 47 dropbacks. The third-and-long pressure above from Osa Odighizuwa forced an interception that squashed any chance of a late fourth quarter comeback from the home team. This Micah Parsons strip sack wrapped the game up in a neat little bow and, incredibly, improved Cooper Rush to 4-0 as a starting quarterback this fall.

Along with Dorance Armstrong’s strip sack that became DeMarcus Lawrence’s fumble return for a touchdown, all three of LA’s turnovers were created by the Dallas pass rush. Two of them came deep in Cowboy territory and one directly resulted in six points. It’s not an exaggeration to suggest this was the defining line between winning and losing for the Rams.

It’s not difficult to see what the problem is here; the Los Angeles offensive line stinks. Stafford, who came into Week 5 as the league’s 21st-best quarterback (per advanced stats), is suffering as a result.

The sack rate is a telling indicator of how much static Stafford has dealt with in the pocket. He attempted 3.8 deep throws per game in 2021; that number was down to 3.0 over the first four games of the season. While he was able to make Tutu Atwell’s first NFL catch a memorable one early:

He failed to connect on any of the four deep throws that followed, including the Malik Hooker interception above. He’s only completed three throws 20-plus yards downfield in 2022 — 0.6 per game. Last year he was good for 29 in 17 games, or 1.7 each week.

Obviously that’s had an affect on the offense. Cooper Kupp’s average catch distance has dropped from 7.6 yards to 5.3. The run game is averaging only 3.2 yards per carry, the fourth-worst number in the NFL. The offensive line plays a massive role there as well. The team’s 1.9 yards before contact on running plays is third-worst in the NFL this fall.

This is a big deal. Stafford’s offense ranked eighth in expected points added per play (EPA) in 2021 at 0.082. This year’s edition clocks in at 28th thanks to a -0.094 score — just behind the Pittsburgh Steelers and Denver Broncos, each of whom operate their offenses in a primarily hypothetical realm.

via RBSDM.com

The defense has been slightly worse — 5.6 yards per play allowed compared to 5.2 last season — but that hasn’t really mattered because Los Angeles is getting the crap beaten out of it when it loses. All three of the team’s defeats have come by at least 12 points. The Rams haven’t scored more than 10 points in any of those contests.

What’s the difference? There’s plenty of turnover on the LA line, beginning with left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who retired in February at age 40 after finally earning a Super Bowl ring. Swing tackle Joe Noteboom filled his spot in the starting lineup and was credited for five of Stafford’s 16 sacks in the first four games of the season, per PFF.

Right guard Austin Corbett left in the offseason to sign a $26 million deal with the Carolina Panthers. Left guard David Edwards missed last week’s game against the Niners as part of the league’s concussion protocol and left Sunday’s game against the Cowboys with a potential head injury, which is troubling.

Replacement guard Coleman Shelton earned a 49.9 PFF grade (out of 100) before being placed on injured reserve. Alaric Jackson, a 2021 undrafted free agent who made just four appearances as a rookie, joined the starting lineup and has vacillated between average and underwhelming as he gets up to speed in the NFL.

This is the gamble general manager Les Snead embraced. His top-heavy, star-studded lineup pushed the limits of the league’s salary cap and welcomed veteran contributors to the lineup at the expense of low-cost draft picks whose depth could have helped prevent this. This offensive line wasn’t very good when everyone is healthy; if these trends continue, it’ll be a disaster by the end of the regular season.

That’s Sean McVay’s challenge. There is no easy fix, barring some kind of miracle Snead trade that brings in two Pro Bowl caliber linemen in exchange for LA’s 2028 and 2030 first round picks. He’s got to develop an offense that creates space for Stafford to throw and likely can’t use play-action passes to get there because, let’s be honest, defenses don’t exactly respect his run game right now.

The Rams are broken. The only obvious fix is for a lot of young, unheralded players or free agent pickups to slide into the system and make incredible improvements at a ludicrous rate. Otherwise Stafford’s going to continue to get the crap beaten out of him until he finally suffers a hit he can’t shake off.

Los Angeles has a problem. If McVay and Snead can fix it, they deserve every ounce of praise that’s been heaped on them the past few years.

1665420731503.png

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Or…

We beat Carolina.

Get healthy at the bye, get Jefferson back, others.

Beat the 49’ers at home and at 4-3 takeover first place. :horns:

I like my scenario better. Go figure it out, McVay!
We should beat Carolina, and as the weeks progress, start rounding into form when it matters most

1. I can see at least one FA reinforcement being added to the OL. Jefferson is another worthy blocker and much missed, but Stafford needs more time if he is to take advantage of what Jefferson brings to the table.

2. If we can resign OBJ, he gets open quickly and is red hot on slants and crossing plays. He is what we need if we are to counter the pass rush with a, quicker, rhythm passing game

3. Why are we not playing with more 12 personnel packages? That would provide more heft running and more help pass protecting...

We are better than this... time will tell...

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Avenger, I like your 20 thoughts win or lose

Not feeling it this year. Offensive line can't just get fixed and the schedule is too daunting. Looks like a .500 ish year (at best). Allen Robinson has been a bust and not sure what are running backs are doing.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Stafford is running around for his LIFE. Rob Havenstien giving up that last suck days it all against Dallas. I couldn’t even fathom watching the game.Saddly rather watch the Niners.

Didn’t see it,but Tutu Atwell finally got his first TD. I made the call for 5 TD’s and DJ1 numbers in 2021.Still a lot of season left.

Les Snead always tLks about winning in April. Well the 9ers,Seahawks,& Zona really are holding there own. Dallas showed 2021 with Parsons. The fact is Les Snead does a GREAT job in late drafts & beyond.

The FACT is you look at KC & see #52 in the middle of there Offense. A Bug Meat & Potato guy.I’ll just say I LOVE A’ JACKSON & leave it at BRUSSSSSS & Tutu Atwell.
Dude......Slow down a bit, for the sake of us all. You might have some good takes in there but I'll be damned if I can decipher any of it. Yikes

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I am beating a dead horse but we aren't here to massage egos like or hate him at guard noteboom is a better guard rt now than anyone we have. My point is if he wants to try out and or sign Fischer is just as good or better than noteboom at tackle. Rt now. My point is that's an easier fix and notebo was paid but let's face it he wasn't paid top OT money or even guard money. They are cross trained for a reason if you do that your line is better in my opinion then do what an above poster mention pluck one of the dudes from Atlanta for a pick. Edwards hit was scary I'm not sure I'd be counting on him though he may be ok or the bye could help him.....but fisher and noteboom oneside Allen bk and AJ an Havenstein and figure out which guard is best for now on that other side the acquisition obushi (spelling) Jackson and then Shelton should hopefully come back and if it works you have the makings of a line.

You cannot acquire a franchise LT rt now and while it may not be the actual need it's out there to at least take a chance. He could be great again (Fischer) or at the very least average but sliding noteboom to guard and yes I know he isn't a great guard but better than anyone rt now and he was a pretty decent run blocker.

jacktheripper85

Starter
I’m good with being a catty prick when responding to a post as nonsensical as that one.

Defense is down three starters.. it’s top 2 backup CBs.. and it’s best edge is playing hurt… and they have to do more than holding the other team to one TD.

The D basically gave up 9 points.. and the Rams had more time of possession.

The defense was so much better than the offense in that game that it’s high comedy to expect more out of that unit.

And that’s why I think your post was a joke.

Agree with most of your post. One thing this D needs to do a better job with is shutting down the opposing team after we score-particularly good teams. Seems like every time we take the lead against a good team the D relaxes and opposing team easily moves down the field to counter our score. It would be nice to see more of a killer instinct sometimes.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What about this as a temporary OL fix? At least until Allen and/or Shelton are once again healthy?

Insert Skura at OC immediately. He should have a handle on the playbook by now and he has tons of starting experience. He’s no Pro Bowler, but he is at least an average OC which is a helluva lot more than we’ve got right now. Sit Kolone.

Insert Oboushi at either RG or LG at Carberry’s discretion. He’s an experienced starting caliber OG and a helluva lot better than Evans, maybe even a healthy Edwards, tbh. Huge upgrade.

Jackson has played well and should start at the OG position not taken by Oboushi.

Both Boom and Hav stay right where they are.

Once in place this ‘new’ OL can finally start to gel and become effective which should allow the Rams O skill players to once again do their thing and McVay can once again open up his entire playbook.

No need to bring in any more outside OL players with this plan. Skura and Oboushi have already accomplished that and should already know Rams playbook.

If Skura and/or Oboushi excel it is entirely possible that neither Allen nor Edwards regain their respective starting positions. Wouldn’t THAT be something?

Anyway, time to go BOLD, y’all. We simply must give Stafford and his skill players a fighting chance. This is our best shot, imo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Random thought for today.

McVay is too married to his offensive system which is very reliant on having the right people to run it.

When he doesn’t have the right people to run it he blames himself for not coaching it right and blames it on execution.

Maybe, when things are not going well he needs to step back and simplify the offense and figure out what some of his inadequate players can do well and make some changes to the offense to help them succeed.

He doesn’t have Gurley. He only has one receiver that is fully integrated into the offense. He’s got a busted Oline with no time to throw.

He eventually changed things for Goff, but clearly wasn’t happy about it. Aaron Rodgers said this offense is not the West Coast offfense. He said it is much harder for a QB to run. Maybe McVay needs to simplify things for Stafford also, since he has no time to throw.

I know some will say he’s probably doing this already. I’m not so sure. He kept throwing the same offense against the six man fronts he faced a few years ago, when a few changes could have taken advantage of them. I think he’s too stubborn with his system.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
All he has to do is fix the run game. That's it. Once that happens, assuming it does this season, the Rams offense should start clicking.

We don't have the quality of OL where you can 100% pass. We never have under McVay, and this one is a cobbled together product that is not as good as previous years so he's gonna have to own it and adjust.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
2) Both Akers and Henderson have their issues. Akers is hit or miss (mostly miss) because he’s always got by on above average athleticism. He doesn’t have the discipline or fundamentals to consistently read holes and as a result can be tentative at times or just not see it.
All backs miss opportunities, but I do agree that vision is one of Akers issues. I recall him in his rook season I think it was, following his lead blocker into a wall of DL in the redzone when there was a clear hole to the endzone. But his biggest issue right now is he's not running with confidence. If they can get him back into that zone where he's confident he is our best option.

If not, then we do have Brown back and he knows the scheme and can bring some punishing ground game. For a few weeks or so. Henderson too, but if you run him into the pile over and over you might as well warm up an IR spot for him so I'll say for the billionth time he's best served as change of pace and pass downs.

Once we get through this season Les Snead needs to be the fucking GM and gently steer McVay to understand that our lack of backfield threat is undermining his offense. And then draft him a stud physical runner who can generate tough yards. He can still collect his passcatchy RBs on top of that addition if he wants, but doing that would be doing McVay an enormous favor.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
All he has to do is fix the run game. That's it. Once that happens, assuming it does this season, the Rams offense should start clicking.

We don't have the quality of OL where you can 100% pass. We never have under McVay, and this one is a cobbled together product that is not as good as previous years so he's gonna have to own it and adjust.

The way Jourdan made it sound, Henderson can’t do everything McVay wants his RBs to do. Akers looked like he could but now, after the Achilles it looks like he can’t.

It seems like it’s not an easy fix without changing the system.