20 Random Post 2024 Draft Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. The Rams have a better roster than they did four days ago.

2. I feel good about how my Rams draft board worked out. The Rams’ top three selections were all among my Top 50 prospects for the Rams.

3. Jared Verse was the No. 7 guy on my board, and the top defender. When the Rams selected him, he was the No. 1 guy remaining. I, quite frankly, did not expect him to last to pick No. 19. I think he did because of two factors: (1) the confidence of (at least some) teams in Laiatu Latu’s medical record, and, of course, (2) the early run on QBs. Verse is a great scheme fit, fills the consensus top need, and is a “baller.” What’s not to like?

4. Braden Fiske was the No. 28 guy on my board, and was the No. 6 remaining player when the Rams selected him. You have to love the notion of Fiske playing with Verse again. More importantly, the Rams’ DL/EDGE corps. is stacked with young, hungry, high-effort players who will all be on rookie deals for at least 3 years.

5. Blake Corum was the No. 41 guy on my board, and No. 3 remaining when selected. He is a guy I’ve had my eye on for years. Full disclosure, my son is a Michigan alum, so I watched a lot of Wolverine football over the last few years. That factor aside, as many have noted, he and Kyren Williams are extremely interchangeable, which is a key in McVay’s offense. Players who telegraph play selection when they’re on the field due to limited or highly-specific skill sets don’t fare well in our offense. Corum will fit in right away and give the Rams a great 1-2 punch.

6. The themes of the rest of the draft, for me, were (1) guys who fit from an attitude/effort/toughness standpoint (aka “ballers”), and (2) filling key needs.

7. Kamren Kinchens, Brennan Jackson, Tyler Davis and Jordan Whittington are straight-up “ballers.” They also will help provide the Rams something they really lacked last year: depth.

8. Joshua Karty fills a huge need. Like many here, I had him as my top PK prospect. He’s a cool customer and has plenty of leg. Hopefully, he’ll have a long career with the Rams.

9. At the end of the draft, the Rams filled a need many identified in getting a back-up center in Beaux Limmer, and added more depth with KT Leveston.

10. While my board was pretty solid, the Rams also told me I was wrong about a few things.

11. I was wrong about the Rams’ level of faith in their LTs. While I don’t think they are looking past this year yet, for now it seems that A.J. Jackson and Joe Noteboom are deemed sufficient.

12. I was wrong about the Rams prioritizing WR depth. Given the number of players on the final year of their contract, it will likely be something we’ll be scouting in a year. Right now, though, our depth looks fine.

13. I was wrong about CB being a priority. My hope is that the Rams’ faith in Tre’Davious White’s health is well-placed. If it is, we are, again, set for this year. If not (or, ever if we’re just a bit unsure), I still think an Ahkello Witherspoon reunion (1 year deal) makes sense.

14. I was wrong about the Rams targeting an ILB. I guess that, with the way the defense rotates, Ernest Jones, Christian Rozeboom and Troy Reeder is enough.

15. How did our NFC West rivals do? Arizona improved their roster, but… how could they not, given the number of premium picks they possessed? I still think they have a lot of holes, and I’m not sold on their QB by any means.

16. The Seahawks added a very good piece on their defense in Byron Murphy, but that’s about it. Nobody else in their draft class really jumps out at me.

17. The 49ers, I felt, reached a bit. I like Ricky Pearsall, but I think he was more of a Day 2 prospect. In the end, he may be a replacement, as there are still rumors that Brandon Aiyuk or Deebo Samuel could be traded. After that first pick, I really feel like they went too far in the “need” direction and took several players earlier than most projected.

18. In all, I feel like we’ve upgraded our RB, OL and DB corps from last year and, while Aaron Donald’s absence is huge, we have much greater quality depth at DL/EDGE than we had. I’m also optimistic that, with more depth and a better PK, we’ll have a much better special teams unit.

19. A partial list of the veterans who will have an uphill battle to make the squad: Ben Skowronek, Zach Evans, Logan Bruss, Larrell Murchison, Desjuan Johnson, Michael Hoecht, Nick Hampton, Keir Thomas and Derion Kendrick.

20. I have a good feeling about this upcoming season. If this draft class is even close to being as successful as last year’s, the sky’s the limit.

Tano

Legend
I just hope that on number 18, he sees a truly very good DL and wonders what it could be with him in the Line-Up as well.

I could see after 10 games Donald getting the itch again.

I know I know I am dreaming but one can dream .... can't they?

dang

Legend
This:

4. Braden Fiske was the No. 28 guy on my board, and was the No. 6 remaining player when the Rams selected him. You have to love the notion of Fiske playing with Verse again. More importantly, the Rams’ DL/EDGE corps. is stacked with young, hungry, high-effort players who will all be on rookie deals for at least 3 years.

For anyone who thinks the Rams got fleeced in the trade for R2.39 - I’m going out on a limb in saying the Rams saw Fiske as a late R1 (30-32) very early R2 (33-35) value. And getting him at R2.39 for what they traded was WELL worth it.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
For anyone who thinks the Rams got fleeced in the trade for R2.39 - I’m going out on a limb in saying the Rams saw Fiske as a late R1 (30-32) very early R2 (33-35) value. And getting him at R2.39 for what they traded was WELL worth it.
That’s exactly what it seems McVay is saying in his post draft interview. They tried for a long time to trade up unsuccessfully to get Fiske- eventually doing so obviously. He basically says they had him as their top DT guy to get.
I would even venture to guess that had Verse not been at 19 and they were able to trade back, Fiske would have been their first selection.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The value of the pick can’t be divorced from the market. Teams all through the top of the second round were finally open to deal but all of them wanted so much. We basically paid a 3rd (next year’s 2nd is valued as this year’s 3rd) and 5th to move up 13 spots which is LESS than others who traded up fewer spots. And the draft next year with lack of Covid Babies, Top tier QB prospects and NIL keeping underclassmen in school looks so weak that if it weren’t for Carolina NEEDING to aggregate picks irrespective of the draft strength, we likely don’t move up because we weren’t giving up our 3rds this year.

I think next year’s second is a significant value to trade on our end because it’s valued as the 16th pick in round 2, but in reality, it’s gonna be deep in round 2, hopefully 32nd. Couple that with the weak draft class and I think Snead actually got over on the Panthers.

Lastly, we can’t separate fit and I think as good as Byron Murphy can maybe become, I think Fiske in our D will ultimately be a better fit for us and be more productive and we got him in the top of the 2nd.

I just think people are looking at this all wrong and data without context is garbage. Value of a pick is dependent on a number of factors external to the draft itself and when those are incorporated into the decision matrix, I think we actually fleeced the Panthers.

Legit, I really do.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
12. I was wrong about the Rams prioritizing WR depth. Given the number of players on the final year of their contract, it will likely be something we’ll be scouting in a year.

Ditto. For me, more than depth. I was certain we were grabbing a WR or Bowers if we could. Maybe that WAS the plan, but the draft didn’t fall to make that happen.

19. A partial list of the veterans who will have an uphill battle to make the squad: Ben Skowronek, Zach Evans, Logan Bruss, Larrell Murchison, Desjuan Johnson, Michael Hoecht, Nick Hampton, Keir Thomas and Derion Kendrick.

I think Kendrick and Hoecht are safe, but the roster will have some battles.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I originally thought we gave up too much to move up for Fiske, but after seeing the phone call when they put Verse on the phone, we underpaid for what we got. Adding Verse and Fiske to a DL that saw the way AD works and IMO bought in to it, our DL will not be outworked by anyone. These last 2 drafts have really shown that McSnead know what they want in a player and will go out and get it. All these guys drafted the past 2 drafts are ballers that love the game and want to be the best they can be. Not just athletes looking for a big payday, but studs that want to earn that big payday while chasing those rings.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
For draft graders that is the main complaint. They felt it wasn't worth the trade off giving up next years second. I disagree with them. DT was a position of need. If they stood pat the only DT left that wouldn't be a big reach was Mike Hall. He's not as good as Fiske. Some other good defensive players went before number 52. DeJean, McKinstry, Melton, Cooper.

The Rams had a need. They didn't want to settle. They wanted a certain type of player. Fiske fit that. So they did what they had to do to improve the team. I have no qualms about trading away a pick that will probably be upper 50's low 60's.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
All these guys drafted the past 2 drafts are ballers that love the game and want to be the best they can be. Not just athletes looking for a big payday, but studs that want to earn that big payday while chasing those rings.
Rams going after "grown men".... ;)

muggmeister

Rookie
I watched a few Washington State game this year (born in Spokane) and really like the Jackson pick, however I thought Jeremiah Trotter could/should have been the pick there late in the 5th. I got absolutely zero issues with rest of the draft, thought we absolutely nailed it. Good read, appreciate your thoughts and insights. Rams are on the rise, sign of good things to come. Overall, despite losing Donald, our defense with our free agent signings and draft class could be vastly improved from a year ago. SUPER BOWL BABY!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I know I overuse this word, Gristle, but that’s what the Rams are going after and nobody in this draft has more of that than Fiske. And I’d venture Verse, Kitchens, Corum, and Jackson are in the top of that category as well. I like It very very much!!!!!

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I talked mad shit when FSU protested and boycotted the game against Georgia, and then we draft two of their boys right away lol

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I disagree on the bolded. I especially disagree on the bolded and underlined. Desjuan Johnson was an extremely productive rookie, and he can provide a pass-rush all over the line, while being a quality run-stuffer. Hoecht is your backup edge, and honestly, he'll be excellnet there.

As for the bolded, as much as we malign Hampton and Mathis, they still have a solid chance of making the roster, especially Hampton because of his speed on teams. Skowronek might be cut for money, but right now - Whittington aside - nobody plays special teams as well as him (except maybe THT), and I guarantee McVay's thinking that we need pure special teams players after the debacle last year and the new special teams rules.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Great analysis as usual, @AvengerRam - I also think it was a great draft effort by the Rams, and I think recent successes with Kupp and Puka, as well as the "AD Doctrine" of finding players who care about the game, has changed the course of the whole team. I mean, look at the punter from last year's draft... good Lord what a monster, he's more TE than punter. I've always hoped the Rams would find guys who were more productive (c.f. Stedman Bailey) than "fast" in college, guys who won actual games instead of combine drills. Guys who are team-first "we not me" guys, and I think this draft is a culmination of this new team doctrine.
I'm very excited to see the results on the field. Can't wait to see Verse & Fiske on the same field as Turner & Young.
I agree on some of the things the Rams chose not to address, mainly CB & ILB -- I was for sure they'd address that, so here's hoping our cadre of F/A CB's works out. Jones of course is a stud ILB & hoping we can keep him around, cuz the depth behind him is woefully thin.
Also, I was also hoping we'd get a WR with top-notch speed to stretch the field. I love the Whittington pick, but I'm hoping Tutu can stick around, and Puka as well (who's plenty fast enough in his own right).
Thanks again! enjoyed all the great draft posts. Here's to the camp reports!!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
For draft graders that is the main complaint. They felt it wasn't worth the trade off giving up next years second. I disagree with them. DT was a position of need. If they stood pat the only DT left that wouldn't be a big reach was Mike Hall. He's not as good as Fiske. Some other good defensive players went before number 52. DeJean, McKinstry, Melton, Cooper.

The Rams had a need. They didn't want to settle. They wanted a certain type of player. Fiske fit that. So they did what they had to do to improve the team. I have no qualms about trading away a pick that will probably be upper 50's low 60's.
Mel Kiper gave us a B+ for our draft and said it was because we gave up too much. He actually said, "I wanted to give them an A but I couldn't with that trade". Asinine.

First off, what DL could we have had at 52 who was as good or better than Fiske? Second, what player will we miss out on in the 2025 second round (particularly if it's in the lower third of the round)? Lastly, who in the hell is Mel Kiper?

I was advocating for staying put in the first and trading up in the second. Much less costly than trading up in the first. I had no idea Verse was going to fall to us but that made it even more advantageous to move up for a DT in the 2nd. It would give us 2 stud players on the DL. And what happened? There was a run on DTs early in the round. You have to give the staff credit for identifying a player and making sure they got him.

I just love the talking heads and armchair GMs who know better than the paid professionals. Especially the successful paid professionals, which include Snead and McVay.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fiske is the perfect candidate to play on the Rams D-line. Big, tough, fast, strong, high-motor, productive, and smart. Much like their other picks. I am extremely happy with the trade.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
and the defense put Fiske right up the middle...I bet that hurt.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Mel Kiper gave us a B+ for our draft and said it was because we gave up too much. He actually said, "I wanted to give them an A but I couldn't with that trade". Asinine.

First off, what DL could we have had at 52 who was as good or better than Fiske?

I keep asking a simple question to those that hated the trade, and what the Rams gave up.

What do they think would have been reasonable compensation to move-up from 52-to-39.

I have received exactly one answer. A poster responded (after 3 requests) ... the Rams' 2025 third round.

That would NOT have gotten a trade done. Simply consider the Atlanta/Arizona trade five minutes earlier.
The Falcons moved-up eight spots (43-to-35) and gave-up their third round pick at #79.

A future third would not have gotten the Rams #39 for Fiske.
The Rams' third round pick at #83 would also not have been enough either.

At the time, I thought the 2025 second was a lot too. Still do but what would have gotten a deal done?
Criticize it if you want but provide reasonable compensation that would have worked.
Guessing Kiper did not offer something.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So we stick at at 52 and grab Mike Hall. Would our defense be as good with him instead of Fiske? I do know Fiske was rated higher. Fiske is the type of guy that fits what they look for in a player. High energy. Good motor. Hard worker. Loves the game. Not to mention how well he works together with Verse. We were lucky there was that unprecedented run on offense early in the round. A guy like Verse woulda been long gone before 19 in any other draft.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
So we stick at at 52 and grab Mike Hall. Would our defense be as good with him instead of Fiske? I do know Fiske was rated higher. Fiske is the type of guy that fits what they look for in a player. High energy. Good motor. Hard worker. Loves the game. Not to mention how well he works together with Verse. We were lucky there was that unprecedented run on offense early in the round. A guy like Verse woulda been long gone before 19 in any other draft.
Fiske fits the 2024 Ram profile so much better than Hall.
He's experienced, proven hard worker, proven hi-motor, proven hi-football-IQ, proven team guy, etc.
Never mind the thing with Verse.
I approve this trade-up, no reservations. The DTs were going fast.

BC