FEATURE 20 Random A Blowout (If We're Not Mistaken) Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Gonna disagree with the idea Blanton deserved to be on the roster ahead of Hopkins.
Love that Blanton has made some plays, but the Super Bowl and preseason showed Hopkins had taken a step in his development and was more of a threat. Had improved his blocking as well.
Blanton, despite his size, is a godawful blocker.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gonna disagree with the idea Blanton deserved to be on the roster ahead of Hopkins.
Love that Blanton has made some plays, but the Super Bowl and preseason showed Hopkins had taken a step in his development and was more of a threat. Had improved his blocking as well.
Blanton, despite his size, is a godawful blocker.
And yet Hopkins was right back to being off the field during offensive downs, seeing only 4 snaps in each if his 2 games. Now mid-way thru his 3rd NFL season, and he's got 1 regular season catch. Mind you, he wasnt drafted for his blocking, was drafted as a turn key offensive weapon.
Yes, he showed up in the big game, but so the heck what. He was passed over for PT several times and only saw action because every other TE on the team was hurt. And when the dust cleared, McVay put him right back on the shelf where he clearly belongs

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
And yet Hopkins was right back to being off the field during offensive downs, seeing only 4 snaps in each if his 2 games. Now mid-way thru his 3rd NFL season, and he's got 1 regular season catch. Mind you, he wasnt drafted for his blocking, was drafted as a turn key offensive weapon.
Yes, he showed up in the big game, but so the heck what. He was passed over for PT several times and only saw action because every other TE on the team was hurt. And when the dust cleared, McVay put him right back on the shelf where he clearly belongs
I'm not reading too much into two games where they're still trying to figure stuff out.
I'm also looking at Hopkins as a backup TE, not a second TE.

It's clear that the Rams, right now, see more utility in using Skow for that type of role and it's successful. It makes the defense choose between a LB and DB in personnel groupings.. you'd probably see a LB if Hopkins was there.

And.. this is a low bar, by the way. I've just paid close attention to Blanton because I loved the highlights and wondered why we didn't see more one him... watching him block was the answer.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I am going to guess that they have high hopes for Roger Carter to develop as a versatile weapon down the road and couldn’t keep all of the TEs

I hope so, but it's pretty tough for a FB2 to find work on a team making such use out of Skowronek.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Theoretically we missed scoring 3 TD's and only got a FG for 1 of them (if I recall correctly - the ARob drop). Arob dropped easy TD, the Kupp dropped not as easy but doable TD, and the Akers reaching across goal line fumble. This game was a damn near blow out. It was encouraging to see some of the beautiful playcalls. The first end around of the season results in a TD! I was wondering if they held out some plays until we got into divisional games, and, damn if I'm probably right.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The defense was still extremely frustrating to watch however. Playing 15 yards off the line consistently. NOT having potentially the leagues best CB covering their ONLY viable WR (who went off on us). But, we played the run fairly well and the bend don't break D held on eventually. It is just a frustration to watch as I think we could do MUCH better on D. That kind of D isn't going to work against the likes of Kittle, Deebo, and Aiyuk next week. They will torch that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not reading too much into two games where they're still trying to figure stuff out.
I'm also looking at Hopkins as a backup TE, not a second TE.
That's kind of talking in circles. Hopkins is in his 3rd season and still cant get more than 4 snaps in an entire game. If he was merely a backup, he wouldnt be active on game day.
I dont think Blanton is any kind of long term solution but he surely deserves to keep the roster spot over Hopkins

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That's kind of talking in circles. Hopkins is in his 3rd season and still cant get more than 4 snaps in an entire game. If he was merely a backup, he wouldnt be active on game day.
I dont think Blanton is any kind of long term solution but he surely deserves to keep the roster spot over Hopkins
He’s merely a backup & they only carry 2.
Not sure what you’re suggesting there.

This is just a case of different opinions on a player. It’s fine,

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I just want to praise Brandon Powell a little bit more. He caught a pass or two and did well when he got the ball, and he is tough. He is also an excellent returner. He has totally risen from the ranks and his low entry into the NFL, to be an important part of this team.

He has worked to increase his value over simply being a return man.
Basically, he’s now doing what Atwell was drafted to do.

Flint

Pro Bowler
It’s tough to make guys miss at this level and Powell seems more willing and able to run through some arm tackles to get to open field. They should at least try Tutu on a screen or sweep though, I’m sure he sees what all of us are seeing, that Powell sees himself as more than a return guy and he’s making the most of his opportunity.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
6) Higbee can be a bit underrated to the average fan, but he’s vital to this offense. He had a couple drops earlier, but seems on track now.
8) could Skow be bringing back the versatile FB role that has really only been embraced consistently by the 9ers? Every now and then we see another team employ their FB to be a route runner. Not often.
9) when it comes to our new WR AR, this is all I have to say right now, “I have yet to see him make a play that Robert Woods doesn’t easily make, but I have seen him botch a few.”
I must be obviously biased, but I’m still not convinced swapping these guys out was the right move. I hope I end up being wrong.
10) Ramsey showed what makes him so good. Yeah, he can cover but he loves to come up and stick the ball carrier too. What gets me is how many times a crucial down/play is thrown at a guy he’s covering. Just strange.
11) Kendrick: another rookie with a great debut. He was protected, playing soft, but he DID keep everything in front of him and he was quick to come up—making some nice plays. Rochell is still on the bench?
15) OL is starting to gel. This lineup looks more cohesive than the one that started, but the entire team looked rusty the first 2 games. Actually, they still do a bit. The only concern I have with the current unit is seeing Noteboom 3 yards deep in our backfield every time the Rams try to run wide left. He’s playing well in the other areas.
17) that 3rd down throw on the Rams’ second possession in the 2nd half is the most impressive pass Stafford has thrown so far this season. Just wicked and clutch.

All in all, the defense has to get off the field. Poor job of doing that so far. More guys are rotating in, though. That’s good to see. The most significant thing so far might be that the Rams are far from healthy and have some major talent not playing or not at 100%. It’s a long season. They just need to play solid until the reinforcements arrive.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
8) could Skow be bringing back the versatile FB role that has really only been embraced consistently by the 9ers? Every now and then we see another team employ their FB to be a route runner. Not often.

I think this is a really good point. I imagine we're witnessing the evolution of McVay. When he came in he had a Girley in his prime and could run 11 personal without a FB/hybrid type guy. But maybe he's been learning from Ratface about how to get more out of a team by employing hybrid type guys.

Tano

Legend
6) Higbee can be a bit underrated to the average fan, but he’s vital to this offense. He had a couple drops earlier, but seems on track now.
9) when it comes to our new WR AR, this is all I have to say right now, “I have yet to see him make a play that Robert Woods doesn’t easily make, but I have seen him botch a few.”
I must be obviously biased, but I’m still not convinced swapping these guys out was the right move. I hope I end up being wrong.
10) Ramsey showed what makes him so good. Yeah, he can cover but he loves to come up and stick the ball carrier too. What gets me is how many times a crucial down/play is thrown at a guy he’s covering. Just strange.
11) Kendrick: another rookie with a great debut. He was protected, playing soft, but he DID keep everything in front of him and he was quick to come up—making some nice plays. Rochell is still on the bench?
15) OL is starting to gel. This lineup looks more cohesive than the one that started, but the entire team looked rusty the first 2 games. Actually, they still do a bit. The only concern I have with the current unit is seeing Noteboom 3 yards deep in our backfield every time the Rams try to run wide left. He’s playing well in the other areas.
17) that 3rd down throw on the Rams’ second possession in the 2nd half is the most impressive pass Stafford has thrown so far this season. Just wicked and clutch.

All in all, the defense has to get off the field. Poor job of doing that so far. More guys are rotating in, though. That’s good to see. The most significant thing so far might be that the Rams are far from healthy and have some major talent not playing or not at 100%. It’s a long season. They just need to play solid until the reinforcements arrive.
11 - Well Rochelle did get in the game at the end when Kendrick was taken out. At least he didn't make any obvious errors that I could see

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Yea I was really surprised to see Haley in front of Rochelle. I didn't even know he was on the team. Lol. But he played great for someone just off practice squad. I saw him everywhere out there. Just needs to tackle a bit higher.
Have hopes for Rochelle.

Still think he gets more opportunities.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Havent noticed him going deep. Which we really need. He is playing well but, i dont think we have anybody else that is a threat on punts. Dont like risking him unless we are desprate due to injury. I think they should give his reps to tutu so he can settle in and streach the field more.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If there is one thing that disappoints me about this game more than anything else, it's that, as a Rush fan, we only won 20-12 instead of 21-12. Such a missed opportunity.

1664293644001.png