17 Game Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Each NFL team has 20 games a season. 10 home and 10 road.
I haven't read this article but the initial reports are the 17th games will all be neutral sites to keep the competitive balance.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Each NFL team has 20 games a season. 10 home and 10 road. For years, teams and fans have made a mockery of preseason. Something needs to be done.

But fans still attend preseason games, they're able to employ stadium workers and the games are televised. They still make money off of preseason.

Not a single person would drop from 20 down to 19, thereby losing revenue. The only other alternative is the status quo - but you can improve the product by eliminating a preseason game and replacing it with a regular season game.

And also - if people are bothered by that "racial bullshit" then it means the players need to keep doing it.

Do it on their own time. They have driven fans away from the game and they are losing money because of it.

They need the preseason games because they have taken the hitting out of training camp.

The first month of the season teams are still getting their shit together because they don’t value the fans’ money because of the tv deals.

People who dropped huge $$ on PSLs get screwed and players snd owners don’t give a damn. They proved they don’t need fans in the seats in 2020.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So that means we could play ours at home, since we have half the other teams fans there anyway?
Neutral field, stadiums not in an NFL city aka Mexico City, London, Portland, San Antonio etc etc. From what they said the Ravens and Rams game won't be played in either Baltimore or Los Angeles. This is what they'd floated early in the discussion for a 17th game though to keep it balanced. You can't have a balanced schedule with half the teams playing 1 more home game.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Do it on their own time. They have driven fans away from the game and they are losing money because of it.

They need the preseason games because they have taken the hitting out of training camp.

The first month of the season teams are still getting their shit together because they don’t value the fans’ money because of the tv deals.

People who dropped huge $$ on PSLs get screwed and players snd owners don’t give a damn. They proved they don’t need fans in the seats in 2020.

When is a player's time "their own time"? After practice? After the game? After the season?

See, any time a player, even in the off-season, cares about an issue... there's a chorus of people saying "shut up and play"... when that doesn't apply to anyone else.

And it's always specific issues... when someone comes out and mentions cancer, where is that same chorus? Is cancer MORE a part of football than domestic violence or racial systemic inequities? NOPE.

As for the need for pre-season games, I agree that we need them.

Every year, there are guys who are UDFA who impress in camp, but really shine in the games and make the squad. The surprise guys. The lack of pre-season games literally changes the bottom of rosters and affect who plays in the NFL. We need at least 2, but I think 3 is the sweet spot for teams that have had key personnel changes including coaching changes.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
When is a player's time "their own time"? After practice? After the game? After the season?

See, any time a player, even in the off-season, cares about an issue... there's a chorus of people saying "shut up and play"... when that doesn't apply to anyone else.

And it's always specific issues... when someone comes out and mentions cancer, where is that same chorus? Is cancer MORE a part of football than domestic violence or racial systemic inequities? NOPE.

As for the need for pre-season games, I agree that we need them.

Every year, there are guys who are UDFA who impress in camp, but really shine in the games and make the squad. The surprise guys. The lack of pre-season games literally changes the bottom of rosters and affect who plays in the NFL. We need at least 2, but I think 3 is the sweet spot for teams that have had key personnel changes including coaching changes.

It applies to all people working across America in real jobs. Try pushing any kind of political view at your job and see how fast you are talking to HR.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It applies to all people working across America in real jobs. Try pushing any kind of political view at your job and see how fast you are talking to HR.

Well, firstly, that mess happens all the time, especially in small and/or family owned business. It's literally an every day occurrence. Several employers in 2016 and 2020 sent out memos that if an employee didn't vote for a certain person (not trying to trigger anyone here), that they'd be fired (which is completely illegal in every state) and they make it very clear who they support. There are also countless smaller things from mugs and pictures with politicians and causes to bumper stickers, flags, pins, etc detailing support for a cause or a politician or party.

Literally. Happens. Every. Day. In. Every. State.

Also, when is a player "in their off time"? Off time isn't a standard acknowledged term. For some, it may just be during the game. At the other extreme, they think athletes should never have any cause they disagree with and they should never have to hear about it. That's a heckuva moving target...

It may not be you, but there are plenty who say this about players no matter when they say it.

It could be now... 6 months from the start of play... and you'd still hear plenty in that chorus.

What most are really saying is that, "I don't EVER want to hear what you, the players, have to say. Shut up and play FOREVER." The opinion being that no player should ever share their views on anything.

Since when is it okay to treat players like sex workers, "look, I left the money on the dresser. Just do your job and shut up" (note: not saying it's okay to treat anyone like that, but using the example for illustration purposes only)

That's not remotely being free and I find it...curious... that freedom isn't more universally embraced.

I'm fine with people being free to NOT tune in and/or being free to change the channel.

Let's be clear. The days of players being pawns of owners is over. Period. Done. Players will have greater say going forward about the game and the world at large and that's just what is... The question isn't will the players go back...they won't. The question is will some fans leave?

Yes, they will... and the league has already embraced this as the new normal.

We have a better chance of reverting to a 14 game schedule than seeing player's rights to free speech be impinged any further. Which is funny because the NFL will fine a player if he even FARTS in the general direction of an official.

And with more entertainment options out there than ever? Yeah, anyone who takes issue with where the NFL is going has the freedom to choose any of millions of other options.

It's a great time to be alive! FREEDOM!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Yup, my home pantry courtesy of Amazon, pretty much. Hard to beat prices delivered right to your front door, convenient as hell. Bezos on the other hand, a genuine prick imo.

Prime shipping to Alaska is a big deal up here. But I don't like Amazon's (or anyone's) intrusive tracking/targeted marketing, we're giving away privacy rights at unprecedented speed. Welcome to the 21st century.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Neutral field, stadiums not in an NFL city aka Mexico City, London, Portland, San Antonio etc etc. From what they said the Ravens and Rams game won't be played in either Baltimore or Los Angeles. This is what they'd floated early in the discussion for a 17th game though to keep it balanced. You can't have a balanced schedule with half the teams playing 1 more home game.

I guess my sarcasm was not detected. . . .

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Why does my mind go to all the tiny calculations I know, that are meaningless now?

10 wins makes the playoffs... Now it’s 11 wins likely makes it?

Got to reacclimate to all that.

Also, yeah... does 17 games make the product better? Or simply more of the product?

Could adding something else, help introduce strategy? Such as extra bye weeks. I guess it’s just another game added on, that’s it.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
A second bye week is a no brainer to me, because then the networks get to show 19 weeks of regular season football with 17 games per team, and the players and teams get the benefits of 2 byes. I dont know why they didnt explore that. There is literally no downside other than it being slightly more complicated to schedule.

And I am not getting into this side discussion that's gonna get this thread locked, but whatever is happening, the NFL is making MORE money, not less. This narrative that players actions are driving away fans isnt borne out by the numbers

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, firstly, that mess happens all the time, especially in small and/or family owned business. It's literally an every day occurrence. Several employers in 2016 and 2020 sent out memos that if an employee didn't vote for a certain person (not trying to trigger anyone here), that they'd be fired (which is completely illegal in every state) and they make it very clear who they support. There are also countless smaller things from mugs and pictures with politicians and causes to bumper stickers, flags, pins, etc detailing support for a cause or a politician or party.

Literally. Happens. Every. Day. In. Every. State.

Also, when is a player "in their off time"? Off time isn't a standard acknowledged term. For some, it may just be during the game. At the other extreme, they think athletes should never have any cause they disagree with and they should never have to hear about it. That's a heckuva moving target...

It may not be you, but there are plenty who say this about players no matter when they say it.

It could be now... 6 months from the start of play... and you'd still hear plenty in that chorus.

What most are really saying is that, "I don't EVER want to hear what you, the players, have to say. Shut up and play FOREVER." The opinion being that no player should ever share their views on anything.

Since when is it okay to treat players like sex workers, "look, I left the money on the dresser. Just do your job and shut up" (note: not saying it's okay to treat anyone like that, but using the example for illustration purposes only)

That's not remotely being free and I find it...curious... that freedom isn't more universally embraced.

I'm fine with people being free to NOT tune in and/or being free to change the channel.

Let's be clear. The days of players being pawns of owners is over. Period. Done. Players will have greater say going forward about the game and the world at large and that's just what is... The question isn't will the players go back...they won't. The question is will some fans leave?

Yes, they will... and the league has already embraced this as the new normal.

We have a better chance of reverting to a 14 game schedule than seeing player's rights to free speech be impinged any further. Which is funny because the NFL will fine a player if he even FARTS in the general direction of an official.

And with more entertainment options out there than ever? Yeah, anyone who takes issue with where the NFL is going has the freedom to choose any of millions of other options.

It's a great time to be alive! FREEDOM!

And also, ratings were higher in 2019 than previous years. Everything went down in 2020, but ratings were actually increasing. So they really weren't driving fans away.

Your example about cancer is perfect. How about veterans too? None have to do with football.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't read this article but the initial reports are the 17th games will all be neutral sites to keep the competitive balance.

I had read that this year all AFC teams are home, then it flips next year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They should meet in the middle, how about say, St Louis? That seems somewhere in between.
Oh, wait a minute....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had read that this year all AFC teams are home, then it flips next year.
That's what I've been able to find,
" • Hearing it’s most likely to be AFC hosting all 16 newly invented games in 2021. Then NFC teams hosting in 2022. If that’s how it goes, it’s the fairest way. Competitive equity is the key. You don’t want three NFC East teams playing eight at home and the fourth playing nine at home. "

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sure Asshole Face will whine and complain about having an additional away game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's what I've been able to find,
" • Hearing it’s most likely to be AFC hosting all 16 newly invented games in 2021. Then NFC teams hosting in 2022. If that’s how it goes, it’s the fairest way. Competitive equity is the key. You don’t want three NFC East teams playing eight at home and the fourth playing nine at home. "

Great. Geez. On the road to Baltimore for us.