17 Game Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still don’t understand how you increase by one game and all that revenue - yet it didn’t allow for any increase in the cap. How’d the players Union let that happen?!?
And all players who signed contracts prior to the CBA basically get a 1/16th salary increase that doesnt affect the cap. So for example, Aaron Donald & Stafford equal about 30 mill salary, 2 mill for the 17th game check not associated to cap hit

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it guaranteed that this will be in week 18? I can't find it but thought I read that.

I hope not - rather not fly across the country and play in freezing Baltimore the week before the playoffs.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Because the salary cap is the previous years revenue. So 2021 cap is off 2020 revenue that's why they're saying a huge jump next year because of the extra game plus fans in stadiums. Then when the new deals negotiated take affect another jump. These deals you read about aren't starting this fall. Now the Union could have negotiated instead of a drop this year and a huge jump next year a more balanced approach but quite frankly I think the people running this players union are terrible.
Yeah I should have mentioned that I understand it’s the rule. But that’s because they didn’t expect a pandemic revenue dip. So Way not work together to avoid this mess. You will have a crazy one year jump next year. Just makes no sense.

Psycho_X

Legend
Ram's and Colts get hosed....

Eh, whatever they think. I was happy to see Green Bay get the Chiefs, Bucs get Colts, Seahawks get Steelers, Cards get Browns, and Saints get Titans. All games that have a good chance of effecting the playoff seedings for NFC... all though I'm not worried about Saints making the playoffs this year. The Ravens I think we would have beat this past season if we played them with our new defense. So as long as our defense doesn't falter in 21 I'm not as worried about it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK. Get everything wrapped up before Week 17.
Why does that week matter? Not that I wouldn’t love wrapping up the division and #1 seed early but what’s special about week 17?

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Already on the agenda this year. We get the NFCN, Jared brings the Lions to SoFi while we go visit the Vikings. Side not on your other comment I didn't quote the CBA calls for a maximum of 20 games aside from playoffs. So with the 17 games the max they can have is 3 preseason and when it goes to 18 likewise down to 2 PS. With the AFC hosting the regular season game this year the NFC will host 2 PS games and AFC 1 then it swaps next year. Which means you can likely count on in 2023 or 25 an 18 game regular season.
Totally forgot about that. Duh.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Why does that week matter? Not that I wouldn’t love wrapping up the division and #1 seed early but what’s special about week 17?
I think there are some out there, (in here), that think the added game/opponent occurs at the end of the season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there are some out there, (in here), that think the added game/opponent occurs at the end of the season.
Ahhhh yeah it'll be mixed in from what I saw in the season it won't be the last game of the year necessarily since most of the time the last 2 games are division opponents.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

It really shouldn't. Unless you're in a must win game to get into the playoffs.

More than half the league will have been out of it for a while so for them December won't matter.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It really shouldn't. Unless you're in a must win game to get into the playoffs.

More than half the league will have been out of it for a while so for them December won't matter.
I think like VegasRam said some are under the assumption that this 17th game means it will be the final week of the season. So far from what I've read it'll be mixed in with the other games as normal. It very well could be opening week for all we know. I am pretty sure the NFL likes the final 2 games usually being division games though.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Here's another factor about the 17 game season. Lots of records are gonna fall probably sooner than later.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Wonder how long ED will own the single season rushing record for....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wonder how long ED will own the single season rushing record for....
Well, might be awhile.
To rush for 2106, need to average 124 yards a game. Which means one would put one at 1,982 yards after 16 games.
Since ED set the record, only 6 guys have ran for over 1,982. AP was closest, and that was 9 years ago.
Henry is a threat, but 300+ carries a year will wear him down fast

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams, 49ers have same projected win total for 2021 - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

The PointsBet win totals for NFC West teams has a tie at the top. And not between the teams that finished atop the division in 2020.

The Rams and 49ers both have over-under numbers of 10.5, in a 17-game season.

It’s surprising on the surface. The Rams won 10 games in 2020 with Jared Goff at quarterback. The Rams by all appearances will be better in 2021, especially with Matthew Stafford replacing Goff.

The 49ers are in the midst of figuring out their post-Jimmy existence. Will he be the quarterback in 2021, or will the starter be the third overall pick in the draft? After a disappointing 6-10 season in 2020, is there reason to think they’ll win at least five more games in 2021?

One reason to put the two teams at the same win total is this: The 17-game formula now entails three games that will vary based on placement in the division from the prior year. The Rams finished second in the NFC West, and the 49ers finished fourth. Where the Rams play the Giants, Buccaneers, and Ravens, the 49ers instead face the Eagles, Falcons, and Bengals.

For the Rams, it’s actually worse to have finished second than first, given that Seattle’s three corresponding games come against Washington, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh. Those three games could be regarded as, overall, easier than Giants, Bucs, Ravens.

The Seahawks still have a win projection of only nine, a surprising drop, given last year’s 12-4 finish. Maybe it’s premised in part on the possibility that Russell Wilson will be traded, which could spark a free fall in 2021. Or maybe the oddsmakers don’t believe in new offensive coordinator Shane Waldron.

The Cardinals, a team that went 8-8 a year ago, have the lowest total in the division, with eight. This shows that the betting markets aren’t impressed with the upgrades the team has made, via the addition of J.J. Watt, A.J. Green, and Rodney Hudson. (The Cardinals also have lost Patrick Peterson, Haason Reddick, and perhaps Larry Fitzgerald.)

Again, I don’t bet. To me, the best bet for the NFC West as of right now seems to be the Rams, over 10.5.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Cardinals, a team that went 8-8 a year ago, have the lowest total in the division, with eight. This shows that the betting markets aren’t impressed with the upgrades the team has made, via the addition of J.J. Watt, A.J. Green, and Rodney Hudson. (The Cardinals also have lost Patrick Peterson, Haason Reddick, and perhaps Larry Fitzgerald.)

tenor.gif