#1 receiver to be open and get YAC since 2017...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
A QB has next to nothing to do with a receiver getting open or a receiver getting yards after the catch
So you’re saying our former QB didn’t have a knack of throwing Receivers open, that’s weird because I always thought that was one of the things he excelled at

C’est la vie, to each their own

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So you’re saying our former QB didn’t have a knack of throwing Receivers open, that’s weird because I always thought that was one of the things he excelled at

C’est la vie, to each their own
Nope. I'm saying the receivers have to be able to separate in order to get open. They have to be able to run good routes and have the knowledge and ability to know how to do it. McVay's offense does more to help them get open than the QB ever does.

TexasRam

Legend
A QB has next to nothing to do with a receiver getting open or a receiver getting yards after the catch
Disagree. A QB's eyes, ball placement, body language, decision making, poise, scrambling, predictability and many other things can affect yards after the catch and the WR's ability to get open. So does scheme, blocking, running game and the ability of other WR's as threats requiring attention and coverage.

There is no doubt a WR can also contribute to openness and YAC as well. Route running, moves, speed, vision, ability to break tackles etc.

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you can take Brandon Gibson and Brian Quick and with the right QB they are suddenly good receivers :laugh1:
A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy of having the impression of refuting an argument, whereas the real subject of the argument was not addressed or refuted, but instead replaced with a false one

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
And just like that... A thread about YAC is about to turn into a thread about fucking Goff.... And I am gonna yack.... Get over it people. Please.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
And just like that... A thread about YAC is about to turn into a thread about fucking Goff.... And I am gonna yack.... Get over it people. Please.
Aw don’t go getting your panties in a wad, perhaps its just a coincidence and a QB throwing Receivers open has nothing to do with YAC, it’s not like you’re the Lone Ranger with that take

Then again if certain comments offend you, can’t you just pass, you don’t have to come across as the Thread Sheriff my man

Peace

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy of having the impression of refuting an argument, whereas the real subject of the argument was not addressed or refuted, but instead replaced with a false one
Yep and I use it to great effect whenever I think someone says something laughable

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kupp is a badass. Praying we have him this year in the playoffs. Losing him has been a huge hit in two playoff seasons and it cost us the Super Bowl in '18 IMO.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Indeed Sir

Dude gives his all (and I mean literally his ALL) and for that we love him to death

But we “gots” to find a way to see him perform on thee biggest stage(s)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Aw don’t go getting your panties in a wad, perhaps its just a coincidence and a QB throwing Receivers open has nothing to do with YAC, it’s not like you’re the Lone Ranger with that take

Then again if certain comments offend you, can’t you just pass, you don’t have to come across as the Thread Sheriff my man

Peace
What in the actual fuck are you even talking about? I didn't even have a take on that, haha. Maybe a nap is in order... You seem cranky. :)

Peace....

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Disagree. A QB's eyes, ball placement, body language, decision making, poise, scrambling, predictability and many other things can affect yards after the catch and the WR's ability to get open. So does scheme, blocking, running game and the ability of other WR's as threats requiring attention and coverage.

There is no doubt a WR can also contribute to openness and YAC as well. Route running, moves, speed, vision, ability to break tackles etc.
Agree. It seems odd that this is even a point of debate and discussion.

Many factors can influence Yards-After-Catch but a Quarterback's accuracy, timing and ball-placement certainly have an impact.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Snip

Everyone focus' upon the WRs to judge this air attack. But IMO the Ram RBs are completely underrated. McVay simply hasn't emphasized their receiving talent. Aker, Henderson, and Funk are all good receivers. I saw firsthand how a good receiving RB can impact the game if that part of the passing game was emphasized by the OC. I watched Tomlinson and Rivers just tear up defenses and that roster wasn't nearly what this Rams roster is. It was QB Rivers, RB Tomlinson, WR Vicent Jackson, and TE Antonio Gates. Those 4 were the offense. Right now Stafford has Kupp, Woods, Higbee, Jackson, Jefferson, Akers, and Henderson. Some of the reserves on the Rams right now could probably be starters on other teams.
Yeah, I miss how much Gurley caught the ball and yacced it up for huge chunks and TDs. I often wonder what happened to that part of McVay's O--I guess our backs have to block so much now.

MauiRam

Rookie
An alert crafty Qb can cause dbs to move with his eyes. A good Qb can throw receivers "open" as well - think yac. That said, clearly receivers bear the brunt of getting open.

Tano

Legend
No one has mentioned that the fake hand-off helps get receivers open on some plays and even if you classify Goff as an average QB or below, you have to admit he had one of the best fake hand-offs in the game. But then again, that only worked if you had a good running game going.

Tano

Legend
So you can take Brandon Gibson and Brian Quick and with the right QB they are suddenly good receivers :laugh1:
We are just saying you can make very good to great receivers even better than they are with good ball placement.

There is no hope for tools like Brandon Gibson and Brian Quick

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Who are the other 3 ahead of Tyreek?
Only Kupp and Taint get more YAC than Hill. Only Kupp is open more.

Now why the fudge did Michigan Football Analytics not talk about Kupp being underrated? That seems like the bigger tragedy to me.