Zach Evans…this is your chance!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
I heard he pissed off @Loyal
Loyal

1697568646633.png

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I have two concerns with Evans, ball security & pass protection. Evans might be able to break one, but the RB I would sign and bring back is Darrell Henderson as he knows the system and is very good in pass protection.
Someone has mentioned him, but I believe we run a different OL scheme that what he was accustomed too.

I'd rather bring in Fournette. A bigger, bruising RB that ran behind a similar OL scheme in TB from what I've read.. Never was a big fan of DHendo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Please for the love of holy fate, bring in James Robinson. I don't know if he's injured or what, but he was an effective runner for Jacksonville, who can also pass-protect well. Built like a bowling ball.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Someone has mentioned him, but I believe we run a different OL scheme that what he was accustomed too.

I'd rather bring in Fournette. A bigger, bruising RB that ran behind a similar OL scheme in TB from what I've read.. Never was a big fan of DHendo.
I am fine with Fournette, if he has anything left.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's more explosive than Kyren, but it takes time for some guys to get used to NFL speed. Don't be surprised if he lacks Kyren's patience and vision. Although, the biggest issue might be pass protection. I expect Royce Freeman will see a lot of snaps on passing downs.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Okay, I admit I never paid much attention to this kid until now because I didn't expect he'd crack the lineup this year.

Now that I have, I can't believe my eyes and that others don't see it. This kid has a special gear I don't even think he knows he has because he's usually running just fast enough to get the job done. But when he explodes...oh my!!!!

My guess is we will see Evans on first and second downs with Freeman prepared to handle pass pro on third or second and long.

I'm saying this now, Evans is faster in pads than Gurley was. Watch the film where he kicks in the jets.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It ended up being Hendo, who hasn't played since we cut him.
If it’s any consolation, he was signed by the XFL Arlington Renegades a few days ago (before Kyren was hurt), so I’m guessing he’s kept in shape.

oldnotdead

Legend
Hopefully Evans will show he's a quality RB. But signing Henderson was a great move. I like him much more long term than Rivers.

Regarding Evans and pass blocking. That is a learned skill that not all RBs can aquire. Aker's is a good RB but not a 3 down RB and it's why he's gone. Normally you would give a rookie 2 years to develop his ability to be a reliable 3rd down back. Evans is a grinder type of move the chains RB but has enough speed (4.45) to break one off big. That is his style. He also showed some ability as a decent pass blocker as well. So Evans fits the bill for a good #2 RB behind Williams, with the skillset you want in an eventual #1 RB.

IMO he was drafted to replace Akers who wasn't a 3 down RB. Yeah and BTW Evans is slightly faster than Williams, so if Kyren can break a big run so can Evans if given the opportunity. The only issue with Evans is his hands as a receiver. This is where he must spend more time on the jug machine or having Rypien throw to him after practice.

A pass blocking RB must have good vision, quickness and most of all the desire to do it well. Evans showed in college he will give good effort in his pass blocking. The plus side is he's not a small RB.

Evaluations of Evans in the draft were all over the place on Evans. Some loved him and some not so much. But all have agreed he's a really good value pick in the low rounds who has high round traits. This is the classic boom or bust type of player who can evolve into a very good starter or at least provide decent depth. If they release him at some point no real loss considering where they drafted him. But I think being drafted low has lit a fire in Evans to prove people wrong. This is what I personally think will happen. Remember Austin Ekler was an UDFA running back no one had ever heard of. Now he's one of the better RBs in the NFL.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Henderson is back on the practice squad but he's going to take time to get into shape so I don't see him playing Sunday.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Zach Evans is to Kyren Williams injury as Puka Nacua is to Cooper Kupp injury, then Rams fans = __________.

RamWoodie

Legend
That's what "next man up" is about...and the Rams signed Henderson, whom I thought they were crazy to let go anyway. So if Evans can't get in the groove Hendo will!!!