Zach Evans…this is your chance!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Running back, in many ways, is the easiest position to transition to NFL from college. In no way am I saying it's easy, just that compared to other positions. Pass pro is a concern of course but if he's got the chops to make it, we should be able to tell fairly quickly

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Running back, in many ways, is the easiest position to transition to NFL from college. In no way am I saying it's easy, just that compared to other positions. Pass pro is a concern of course but if he's got the chops to make it, we should be able to tell fairly quickly
Yeah if he has the chops to be an effective RB we'll know quickly, I agree. But for a guy like Evans he went where he did for a reason, and that alludes to questions of how he'll be able to toe the line over time.

All I care about for now is that he steps in and produces for this first game. And I will say his recent runs in horns have included very hard finishes and looks like a guy who is fully dialed in. So I am hopeful he gives us a nice edge from the backfield and I'll worry about the other stuff later.

We have a few big games ahead still in the next three. Balance is going to be key for the offense. I am not too worried, for the record, but part of that is because we also have Freeman on the depth chart. What we are going to require is simply enough threat from that backfield to ensure those defenses can't pin their ears back. Our line is much better this year but it's not quite good enough to handle a front that is only sweating one phase of the offense. So here's hoping these two guys can give us enough to where McVay feels comfortable calling those runs.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Okay, I admit I never paid much attention to this kid until now because I didn't expect he'd crack the lineup this year.

Now that I have, I can't believe my eyes and that others don't see it. This kid has a special gear I don't even think he knows he has because he's usually running just fast enough to get the job done. But when he explodes...oh my!!!!

My guess is we will see Evans on first and second downs with Freeman prepared to handle pass pro on third or second and long.

I'm saying this now, Evans is faster in pads than Gurley was. Watch the film where he kicks in the jets.

I think you should go back and watch the film to remind yourself of Gurley. Evans is fast an explosive, but Gurley had no business being that big and that fast

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
If Zach Evans is to Kyren Williams injury as Puka Nacua is to Cooper Kupp injury, then Rams fans = __________.
White Man Win GIF by Jeopardy!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One view, granted from a FF perspective but includes some analysis of his traits and game film.
Good vid and accurate I think.

He is strong and very athletic, can finish well and doesn't fuck around. The guy gets his yards and doesn't dance around which I like very much. So I wouldn't call him just a north/south runner. I think there's more to his game but it is a strength of his.

And they're on the ball with his weaknesses, those being pass pro and the fact he was outworked at two different programs despite being the better talent. Though maybe to some extent that was due to injuries, but even if true injury tendency is an old problem with our backs so it's a negative however you look at it.

What is going to dictate things for Evans I think in this look he has coming the next few games:

1. Has he worked hard on his pass pro. If he has shown good improvement there I think he has a shot to please the staff and fans.

2. Can he stay healthy and be the guy while Williams is out. Historically that has been a problem with our depth. They get called on and almost immediately fall out.

If those two things happen I would think he can get the production. Which will allow this offense to continue firing well.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Mcvay gives the kid the ball. He's gonna need at least 10 carries or so in order to get into the flow of the game. And what Mcvay are we gonna get this week? The one that ran the ball 20 times in a row or the ohe who gives his RB 3 carries in the first half. Personally, I think they will come out passing but I hope Evans gets some touches. Mcvay likes to learn on 1 RB so I hope it's Evans this week. My only concern are the fumbles.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Yes, I have already thought about the fumbles, please hold on to the ball.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am curious how they plan to split carries among the running backs. Zach should get the lions share, you’d think.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am curious how they plan to split carries among the running backs. Zach should get the lions share, you’d think.
I think this is the perfect opportunity to see what we have in him and hopefully he doesn't fumble or get Stafford killed by mussing a blocking assignment!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Also very curious. Initially, I thought the same thing about Evans taking-on the larger RB-role. However, McVay pushed-back yesterday when he got a question about Evans stepping-up into the starting spot. Said something along the lines of 'not necessarily' and 'we will see ... we have some time to figure-out options'.

Curious to see what they do in third-down and passing situations (which could be a ton). Gaskin had 90 receptions in two seasons (27 games) in 2020 and 2021 but I'm not sure how he is in blitz pick-up.

Really think it sucks about Kyren Williams. Break-out game running the ball; and is now injured.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
McVay with some coach speak there. Evans will be starting, bank on it.