Zac Stacy can he be the new feature back?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Kid seems to have size,power,and toughness. Biggest question how quick will he adjust? I think Pead and Richardson are not everyday down backs. Pead maybe proves me wrong. I think SJax was on downslide and I expect offense to be more explosive this year.

A55VA6

Legend
I think he has a chance, but I have strong feelings about a 2 headed dragon with Pead and Richardson.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Something that STRUCK me about Stacy,he's the same height as TA and outweighs him by 30 pounds............but their standing broad jump are the same /within inches.
That's some explosion and his bench was top notch, as was his cone.
If there is a "muscle hampster" in this draft it was Stacy.
I doubt he has AP like 60-70 yard runs ,but I'll bet he gets a shit load of 10 -20 yard runs and hits some CB's as hard as they ever want to be hit.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm not much of a college fan, so I didn't realize Vanderbilt was in the SEC. That means Zac Stacy has played against LSU, Alabama, Florida, etc...the powers that had future NFL players.

For a 5th round pick, I'm not expecting much, if he contributes some that'll be something let alone feature back i.e. Alfred Morris.

I'm not overly excited over the backfield right now. A 2nd rookie who only got 10 carries (half of which came in the last game)...rookie or not, graduation requirements or not, 10 carries for a RB all season is kinda to put it nicely, iffy for me.

And a 7th round rookie who had decreased playing time plus a UDFA who hasn't played a down yet.

Of course I want these guys to be studs, I'm just holding back my expectations.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You don't spend a premium pick on a guy (2nd rounder - Pead) unless he can be your starter.

I'm excited about Stacy, and all of our draft picks, but if Stacy is our starter then Pead is a bust.

wolfman84

Rookie
Don't know about feature back but he is better than Pead and Richardson at picking up the blitz which makes him ideal for 3rd down packages with his threat to run or catch the ball out of the backfield. I see him as a piece of the puzzle who will be able to contribute.

A55VA6

Legend
wolfman84 said:
Don't know about feature back but he is better than Pead and Richardson at picking up the blitz which makes him ideal for 3rd down packages with his threat to run or catch the ball out of the backfield. I see him as a piece of the puzzle who will be able to contribute.
RB will be fun to watch in preseason. Lots of competition.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
CGI_Ram said:
You don't spend a premium pick on a guy (2nd rounder - Pead) unless he can be your starter.

I'm excited about Stacy, and all of our draft picks, but if Stacy is our starter then Pead is a bust.
Really?

I don't see it that way.if Stacy is the starter and Pead is #2 in a committee arangement,is he still a "bust"?
Maybe you and I see that word differently but if Pead contributes 800 yards all told a year he isn't a bust to me.

nighttrain

Legend
Thordaddy said:
CGI_Ram said:

Really?

I don't see it that way.if Stacy is the starter and Pead is #2 in a committee arangement,is he still a "bust"?
Maybe you and I see that word differently but if Pead contributes 800 yards all told a year he isn't a bust to me.
800 yds in a committee approach would make him most likely out top ground gainer, and this year that would = feature back
train

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
This offense will have running back by committee, but there will still be a RB taking the majority of the carries. Although SJ didn't average as many touches as he did in years past he still averaged 16.1 cpg in 2012. DRich and Pead averaged 6.75 cpg combined in 2012. Their numbers are bound to go up and the #1 back will likely average less than 16.1 cpg.

I think Stacy has the physical skills (power, vision, speed), intelligence, and leadership abilities to be the #1 option for the Rams. I definitely want him to be our short yardage runner because he has more bulk than Pead and DRich (216 lbs) and is shorter (5'8") so he's harder to locate behind our big lineman. His game also seems more multi-faceted than DRich's and Pead's. He carries between the tackles with more efficiency, but can also break carries on the outside. Catches well out of the backfield and can pass block well (something Pead and DRich have not proven yet).

I think there's something special about this kid on the field, but also with his relationships with teammates and coaches off the field. Seems like a genuinely nice guy. Did volunteer work with youth with special needs during his time in Nashville. Bottom line, kid can play and will get the most crucial carries. DRich and Pead will get theirs.

I can see a scenario like:

Stacy: 14 cpg

Pead: 5 cpg

DRich: 5 cpg

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
nighttrain said:
Thordaddy said:
CGI_Ram said:

Really?

800 yds in a committee approach would make him most likely out top ground gainer, and this year that would = feature back
train

I GUESS if they were ALL rushing yards and we only rush for 1700 yards this year about what we did last year ,but I said ALL told which will include pass yards of maybe 200 yards.

I think when you look at all these guys we aren't going to play "feature back" .
Theone guy I expect us to lean on is Ganaway as our short yardage clock killer closer.
Regardless Pead a bust,is a little strong for me unless he can't get on the field more this year than last.

When he's cut or traded is WHEN I'll label him, probably not before.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
In addition to Stacy's bowling ball physic ...

Don't forget that Vandy is an extremely tough academic school. Stacy graduated in 3.5 years.

lockdnram21

Legend
I honestly think stacy will be the starter. It doesn't necessarily mean pead isa bust if stacy gets the job. It could be that stacy is just tha good and all the other teams were stupid for not picking him. I dont see pead as a "feature" back

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Angry Ram said:
I'm not much of a college fan, so I didn't realize Vanderbilt was in the SEC. That means Zac Stacy has played against LSU, Alabama, Florida, etc...the powers that had future NFL players.

For a 5th round pick, I'm not expecting much, if he contributes some that'll be something let alone feature back i.e. Alfred Morris.

I'm not overly excited over the backfield right now. A 2nd rookie who only got 10 carries (half of which came in the last game)...rookie or not, graduation requirements or not, 10 carries for a RB all season is kinda to put it nicely, iffy for me.

And a 7th round rookie who had decreased playing time plus a UDFA who hasn't played a down yet.

Of course I want these guys to be studs, I'm just holding back my expectations.

And don't forget Stacy led the SEC in yards per carry. That's not shabby in anybody's book. I think he gets his share of carries at the minimum and no, that doesn't make Pead a bust. That just makes our backfield suddenly formidable. And we are not even talking about how good Benny Cunningham might be yet. :hehe: I like it!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
CGI_Ram said:

I tend to agree with you.
Among our 4 RB's Pead is the guy who most displays the ability to be a 3 down guy.
I like the committee approach though because it makes it more difficult to defend and gameplan for.

My X factors this season are clearly Pead and Quick....with Bradford being the Y not get better factor...LOL.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Pead was brought in to be a change-of-pace back. He was never really supposed to be the feature back, just one that could add some speed to the backfield. As long as he does that, and has a few long runs this season, I don't see him qualifying as a bust.

nighttrain

Legend
iBruce said:
Pead was brought in to be a change-of-pace back. He was never really supposed to be the feature back, just one that could add some speed to the backfield. As long as he does that, and has a few long runs this season, I don't see him qualifying as a bust.
Change of pace for SJ, and his future replacement. Just as when Faulk our feature back and we drafted a change of pace guy, you know, S Jackson. YOu don't blow a #2 pick on a reserve RB
train

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think Ganaway will feature more than we think this year, don't write him off just yet :)

College stats Ganaway
6'0" 239 lbs
2011 Carries: 250 YDS: 1547 Avg: 6.2 Lng: 89 TDs: 21

College stats Stacy
5'8" 216 lbs
2011 Carries: 201 YDS: 1193 Avg: 5.9 Lng: 77 TDs: 14
2012 Carries: 207 YDS: 1141 Avg: 5.5 Lng: 90 TDs: 10

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
nighttrain said:
iBruce said:
Change of pace for SJ, and his future replacement. Just as when Faulk our feature back and we drafted a change of pace guy, you know, S Jackson. YOu don't blow a #2 pick on a reserve RB
train

But you can use the #8 pick in the draft to get a WR who won't be the prototypical #1 WR on your team? As long as the player fills his role well, I don't think it mattered where he was drafted.