Zac Stacy can he be the new feature back?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I have a problem with the "inexperienced RBs" argument. RB is the one position with less adjustment than all the other offense positions. Receiving and blitz pickup are the areas that SJ needed time, and Pead and Richardson have been here a whole year, while Stacy hasn't even seen rookie camp yet.

So how does Stacy get the nod as starter, forgetting for a moment that the plan is RB by committee, when he's barely a rookie?

IMO, the carries are going to be distributed on a game-by-game basis. Pead gets more one game, Stacy the next game, then Richardson depending on the opposing defense. Keeps defenses from keying on one guy.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ram Quixote said:
I have a problem with the "inexperienced RBs" argument. RB is the one position with less adjustment than all the other offense positions. Receiving and blitz pickup are the areas that SJ needed time, and Pead and Richardson have been here a whole year, while Stacy hasn't even seen rookie camp yet.

So how does Stacy get the nod as starter, forgetting for a moment that the plan is RB by committee, when he's barely a rookie?

IMO, the carries are going to be distributed on a game-by-game basis. Pead gets more one game, Stacy the next game, then Richardson depending on the opposing defense. Keeps defenses from keying on one guy.
Exactly. Its potentially more difficult to contend with than SJ left,SJ right,SJ sweep,SJ dive.

jap

Legend
iBruce said:
Pead was brought in to be a change-of-pace back. He was never really supposed to be the feature back, just one that could add some speed to the backfield. As long as he does that, and has a few long runs this season, I don't see him qualifying as a bust.

The Rams openly discussed the idea of Isaiah taking over for SJ at the time he was drafted. He was not originally destined to be a mere change-of-pace runner.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nighttrain said:
Change of pace for SJ, and his future replacement. Just as when Faulk our feature back and we drafted a change of pace guy, you know, S Jackson. YOu don't blow a #2 pick on a reserve RB
train

Thanks train, yes... exactly my point.

No way you use a 2nd rounder on a running back and not expect him to have starting potential.

Pead was drafted in the 2nd for a reason.

Stacy was drafted in the 5th for a reason.

Who should be the starter based on that investment?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong... I fully expect more of a committee approach than we've seen around here. But Pead should be the feature back if we guessed right when we drafted him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jap said:
iBruce said:
Pead was brought in to be a change-of-pace back. He was never really supposed to be the feature back, just one that could add some speed to the backfield. As long as he does that, and has a few long runs this season, I don't see him qualifying as a bust.

The Rams openly discussed the idea of Isaiah taking over for SJ at the time he was drafted. He was not originally destined to be a mere change-of-pace runner.

This too.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If you watch video of Pead and Stacy and you still think Stacy should be the feature back then you want a ground and pound strategy. If you want someone that is ellusive, dynamic and can break an 80 yard run, than you want Pead.

Stacy is a bowling ball and will get the tough yards but to be honest that's what Jackson was the last 2 years, really.

So I really hope Pead shows up this year like he played in college. I wouldn't even mind seeing Pead and Stacy in the backfield together. Stacy is the better blocker and with all the other offensive options we have would cause even more confusion to the defense.

Stacy looks like a decent player but IMO if he becomes the feature back we are taking a step back, not forward.
He's not very fast and in the NFL it'll be even harder (even though he played good college teams)

Slappy967

Starter
I like Stacy especially since he came from NFL EUR....err the SEC so he has been tested against quality competition. That being said I hope Isaiah Pead remembers every trial & tribulation of his rookie year and carries that chip all year. I have a feeling if that is the case he will run with a vengeance and that's what I want to see.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a feeling in todays pass NFL it is good to have a 2 rb attack.

…..

Legend
too early to summise anything gentlemen...we'll know who is the feature back after camp break and pre season is well under way.

As far as I am concerned, it could be any one of 4 guys at the moment. I dont care who it is as long as he helps us win games.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm bumping an older thread...

I spent a little time this morning reading articles and watching videos of Zac Stacy.

I gotta say... I'm really excited to see this guy. He's compact, powerful, and displays good vision and balance.

Being a RB... the stars in this league come from all rounds of the draft and UDFA. This guy could be a sleeper!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's a highlight video, so of course it's going to showcase him favorably... but check out his balance and running style. Nice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNNyrgjZYLo[/youtube]

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Who ever puts the ball on the carpet the least and does the best job in pass pro will get the most field time.
I just have a feeling that Fisher doesn't give 2 hoots in hell over a players draft position, just his production.

But prognosticating.....
Stacy and Pead main duo. Mix and match to the plays being called.
Rich and the sandwich man will fight it out to see which one dresses as the third back.

nighttrain

Legend
ON ZAc, maybe, he is the late rounder I predicted, Pead was drafted high and he still has the best shot, all things being equal
train