Yikes. We didn't draft any OL at all.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I won't say we don't have a chance. But we need a lot of things to go right. We'll see.

The only thing we need to go right is the OL develops, and if they do, were contenders.

And when I say the OL, I really just mean one player needs to become an above average starter from our young 5 to go along with our vets.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Andrew Whitworth was one of three holdovers from 2018 and admitted the Rams’ struggles boiled down to the changes made up front.

“I think it really is, because there’s also the expectation that a young player – yeah, they can come in and try to be effective in the game, but they’re never going to be as effective as somebody like a Rodger Saffold, who’s an elite interior player in the league.” Whitworth told Colin Cowherd when asked if the team’s struggles came down to Saffold and Sullivan being gone. “There’s still a massive difference in that. And a John Sullivan, who played center in this league for a long time, been a part of the Minnesota Vikings when Adrian Peterson and those guys were leading the league in rushing. He’s been a part of great rushing football teams and he comes and Rodger comes and we’re all together.

“Those were really good football players and it’s not fair for these young guys to even have the expectation that they’re going to play like that – yet. In their career, sure."

“A lot of these guys unfortunately didn’t to play a lot of football before they got thrust in there to play a lot of football,” Whitworth said. “Considering at one point we had three guys who had never played in an NFL football game starting, that’s a heck of a challenge. I don’t care where you are. I think there’s a lot to build off of. I think we have a lot of young guys that will step up and play well, and they’re going to grow up and mature."

“I look forward to us having a fantastic rebound,” Whitworth said Thursday.

“Other guys had to step up and play, so having that experience is going to help us a lot coming into training camp,” Blythe said. “I think it will let us hit the ground running, even at the end of OTAs if we’re getting to go out there and do some football stuff. But if it happens to be training camp before we get on the field, that’s going to serve us really well.”

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
I was really hoping we would improve at center as Blythe was certainly upgradeable. He's just not as stout, nor as good overall, as I would prefer.

I don't buy the notion that every OL pick after the third round has to have time to develop before playing. That is simply not true. We see rookie starters on OL's every year throughout the league.

I really like our young talent moving forward, though I hope we get a second LOT player to groom for Whit in next year's draft to complete with those returning. Adding a good young center and a LOT puts this line in great position for year, imo.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Worst starting 5 in the NFL and our depth behind is Noteboom, Allen, and Demby :ROFLMAO:

Over/under for Goff fumbles+INTs has to be 25. We have no chance with this line and no first rounder next year after we miss the playoffs again. We wont be able to run the ball and Goff under pressure lmao. But glad we got a 4th WR and 2nd round RB after spending a 3rd rounder on Henderson last year. Just great franchise management.
The fact that there will probably be limited time to get ready for the season, probably makes the chance of getting a oline rookie ready to start for this season pretty unlikely. So while maybe getting a FA could have been helpful, a rookie wouldn't make much difference.
Goff pretty much sucked his first year. He improved quite a bit his second. I am no expert, but I hear that learning to be on Oline player is more difficult than most position. With the experince from last year, I think the Rams Oline will be much improved. Except Demby!!

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Our oline is a MUCH larger question mark than our receiving core, yet how many receivers have we brought in? I respect everyone here, but some y'alls reasoning doesn't make any sense.
It's almost like you're trying to talk yourself into believing everything will be alright. Lol
I'm a fan, that's what I do.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I may be in the minority but I really believe we just needed to get bigger/better/more experienced at center.

If we can create any spare cheddar, maybe we go that route after June cuts.
That’s my hope as well.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One battle I would like to see is if they give Austin Corbett a shot at Center. Kromer liked him for that position, however, IMO, I believe they feel when Blythe took over at Center everything calmed down and the line picked up the stunts better.

Now Blythe does have a tendency to give overpowered, but he knows the offense and was making the line calls when playing RG, so I'm anxious to see how it plays out because Blythe is only on a one year deal.

Bobby Evans could slide into LG with Noteboom getting healthy and eventually taking over at LT, which IMO, is a more natural position for him. I'm also counting on Tremayne Anchrum to make the team as IMO, the Rams can't cut Jamil Demby fast enough....It's possible the future Offensive Line could look like this.

LT....Noteboom (Whitworth Coaching him up)
LG...Bobby Evans
C...Austin Corbett (Great size)
RG...David Edwards (Hope he got stronger in the off season)
RT...Rob Havenstein (Come back year)

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Too bad it wasn't more than talk.

Rams wanted to move him to guard but that was a no go. Im thinking rams went into draft eyeing williams at guard and cush at center but lost ojut on both. Woulda been sweet

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Give the opposing D's something different to look at and we'll be okay up front. This is why our unit looked better late in the season with McV's adjustments. It remains to be seen if Brian Allen is a bust but he had no chance early last season because DC's had the majority of our stuff countered in the gameplan.

I believe it's a small miracle that Goff survived the first half of the season with the defense all up in the playbook.

I hope we get a full training camp this year.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams gave every indication they intended to stand pat on the o-line in this draft. There are really only three questions on the o-line.

1. Will Allen be 100% ready. If he is I have no doubt he starts at C over Blythe. Allen played as well as can be expected for a guy with his first NFL starting experience. If not then IMO Blythe and Shelton will compete for that starting position. If they implement a new blocking scheme which I anticipate there is no guarantee Blythe will retain his start.

2. What will they do with Havenstein? Will they resume allowing him to start when it was clear last year he's overmatched against better competition. If they don't start Havenstein, will they move Edwards to RT where he belongs and move Evans to RG where he belongs?

3. Will O'Connell incorporate inside zone, and a power gap blocking scheme. If he does it dictates who plays where. They will need guys that can pull, and execute second-level blocks. Something Blythe and to a lesser extent Havenstein struggle with.

Like I've posted before, the Rams are committed to going with Whitworth for 2 more years as they backloaded his contract into his second year. This is why it made no sense to draft a LT this year. Also, it would seem to indicate Whit is a place holder to give time for Noteboom to fully recover and regain his strength and form.

Corbett is someone Snead targeted in his draft but was off the board before the Rams could take him. They traded specifically for him to play LG and he played well for an in-season acquisition. I see no reason to change. Ideally they would have an o-line this year of:

LT Whitworth
LG Corbett
C Allen / Shelton
RG Evans
RT Edwards

Gameday reserves: Havenstein or Brewer & Blythe or Shelton

They drafted Anchrum in the late rounds. IMO as he is he's a poor scheme fit for their offense. That said he's the kind of guy you draft for your PS. If he loses about 10 lbs and improves his speed and quickness and he also improves his strength, he could make the active roster. The primary problem with his play is his poor footwork and mobility. If they move to a power gap he lacks the mobility to play that scheme.

Overall I think they have the talent already on this team to have a pretty good o-line. Evans and Edwards showed they can play at this level. Even with their inconsistent execution (due largely to poor fundamentals) they still outplayed two vets (Blythe and Havenstein). Giving them another year to train and be coached up and to gel as a unit will allow them to execute better. I expect much improved o-line play this year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams gave every indication they intended to stand pat on the o-line in this draft. There are really only three questions on the o-line.

1. Will Allen be 100% ready. If he is I have no doubt he starts at C over Blythe. Allen played as well as can be expected for a guy with his first NFL starting experience. If not then IMO Blythe and Shelton will compete for that starting position. If they implement a new blocking scheme which I anticipate there is no guarantee Blythe will retain his start.

2. What will they do with Havenstein? Will they resume allowing him to start when it was clear last year he's overmatched against better competition. If they don't start Havenstein, will they move Edwards to RT where he belongs and move Evans to RG where he belongs?

3. Will O'Connell incorporate inside zone, and a power gap blocking scheme. If he does it dictates who plays where. They will need guys that can pull, and execute second-level blocks. Something Blythe and to a lesser extent Havenstein struggle with.

Like I've posted before, the Rams are committed to going with Whitworth for 2 more years as they backloaded his contract into his second year. This is why it made no sense to draft a LT this year. Also, it would seem to indicate Whit is a place holder to give time for Noteboom to fully recover and regain his strength and form.

Corbett is someone Snead targeted in his draft but was off the board before the Rams could take him. They traded specifically for him to play LG and he played well for an in-season acquisition. I see no reason to change. Ideally they would have an o-line this year of:

LT Whitworth
LG Corbett
C Allen / Shelton
RG Evans
RT Edwards

Interesting you have Evans at Guard & Edwards at tackle, if it does break out that way, I believe they will flip flop like last season. As to Corbett, I know OL Coach Aaron Kromer making comments that Corbett would make a good Center, wondering if he still feels that way.

I'm not high on Brian Allen at all, he not only struggled blocking, he struggled with the line calls, so that's why I feel Blythe will be at that position from day one. IMO, RT will be Havenstein's job to lose, if he can get back to 2018 form, fantastic, if not, you're right to move on.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
One battle I would like to see is if they give Austin Corbett a shot at Center. Kromer liked him for that position, however, IMO, I believe they feel when Blythe took over at Center everything calmed down and the line picked up the stunts better.

Now Blythe does have a tendency to give overpowered, but he knows the offense and was making the line calls when playing RG, so I'm anxious to see how it plays out because Blythe is only on a one year deal.

Bobby Evans could slide into LG with Noteboom getting healthy and eventually taking over at LT, which IMO, is a more natural position for him. I'm also counting on Tremayne Anchrum to make the team as IMO, the Rams can't cut Jamil Demby fast enough....It's possible the future Offensive Line could look like this.

LT....Noteboom (Whitworth Coaching him up)
LG...Bobby Evans
C...Austin Corbett (Great size)
RG...David Edwards (Hope he got stronger in the off season)
RT...Rob Havenstein (Come back year)

I think you have a really important point here. Corbett has apparently played center and could do so again. Likely not enough time to do so last year after joining the team late. Learning to pick up stunts from the position and maybe being able to call the line signals are a little bit of a steep learning curve without any training camp.

As Snead pointed out, Corbett was a much higher pick at #33 than anyone the Rams could have gotten this year. Kromer must have a plan for him, yet we have Evans and Edwards who look promising at guard. With Kromer's propensity for cross training at different positions, it's hard to believe Corbett won't get a chance at center. So maybe this was a factor this board has overlooked in considering why the Rams didn't go for a center.

Another key point to me about the o-line came from McVay, when asked about the line after day 2, commenting about "Havenstein coming back healthy." Sounds to me like the Rams think Havenstein is up to full speed and ready to return to form.

As you have penciled in, this leaves Evans and Edwards to play guard. While I don't expect Noteboom to come back immediately or to take over from Whitworth until he finally retires, this line configuration with Big Whit, whoever wins the battle at center, and enough work as a unit could be really solid.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
About Hav...

Once his contract was restructured there things became obvious.

1. He’s in their long term plans. Teams don’t extend players they’re thinking about trading or cutting.

2. It follows that they’re satisfied by his current health.

3. So expecting him to reclaim his starting spot is not unreasonable.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
About Hav...

Once his contract was restructured there things became obvious.

1. He’s in their long term plans. Teams don’t extend players they’re thinking about trading or cutting.

2. It follows that they’re satisfied by his current health.

3. So expecting him to reclaim his starting spot is not unreasonable.
He wasn't extended, they just moved money around. He wasn't on the injury report the last 2 games of the season so he should be healthy now. I think Hav will probably reclaim his spot, but if he can't or turns in another stinker he's a goner next offseason.