Yikes. We didn't draft any OL at all.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Exactly! Rams have a slew of Guards and Tackles but Blythe and Allen are the only real centers on the team and they are a bit undersized.

The Rams have 4 Centers on the roster....Brian Allen, Austin Blythe, Coleman Shelton & Nate Trewyn...Trewyn is 6-4 315lbs. They also just signed Cohl Cabral as an UDFA and he's 6-5 300lbs. I'm not sure if the plan is to sign a veteran center, (I would be all for it) but to this point, they have 5 on the current roster.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Keep your $20 So Ram. Even though your posts are hard to read at times, you are enthusiastic and a faithful Rams fan. :horns:

thanks Kevin- a bad beat for sure. Who knows ?? Just nice to see the direction The Rams are going in. I think they did well & filled a lot of needs.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
So one interesting thing about us only drafting 1 O-Lineman, and only signing a couple UDFAs O-lineman, other than the fact that we obviously like the group we already had, but it makes me think about some of the stats our O-Line compiled last year. Gurley falling short of 1,000yds, and our team overall not really running the ball well, a lot of that blame was placed on our O-line. Yet our numbers in terms of protecting Goff were actually pretty good. It makes you wonder how much Gurley's ineffectiveness was because of HIM slowing down more than about our O-line, and thus with us being willing to let him go.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rams have 5 linemen drafted in 2018/19 in Corbett, Boom, Allen, Edwards and Evans. They’re expecting guys to step up.

Blythe is going to be the center. Allen likely the backup. Hav and Whit at tackle. Hav needs a bounce back year. They’re going to compete at guard for starting spots between Corbett, Edwards, Boom and Evans. Competition will be a good thing. Boom and Evans can play tackle too. This guy from Clemson is also a nice project on the inside.
And luckily, they all got experience last year. Blythe is clearly a better Center, but can, and does have experience at Guard. They love, Allen, who was the starter before he was injured, He was the starter. Notebook, injured, was a starter. Havenstein, top ranked PFF tackle, played injure, then finally succumbed.

Edwards, rookie, showed vast improvement. Probably be hard to take that position. Evans, rookie, playing for big Rob, showed vast improvement. Corbett played well, will be in a fight at the other Guard spot.

Im tired man. When healthy, we are OK at OL, way better than most teams. We are young, and deep.

MachS

Hall of Fame
They like Blythe and Allen at center. They say it. They act that way in free agency and the draft and people do not believe them.

They also said Gurley's knee was fine. Dont fall for the BS man, who in their right mind would be happy with our center position? Allen was supposed to be an UPGRADE over Sullivan. Lmfao that worked out well. Blythe is a backup level player, no where near physical enough to be a starter. We either swung and missed on the OL we wanted to draft, or the FO seriously made a conscious decision to enter the season with the same starting 5 we ended with. I dont know which is worse.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
They also said Gurley's knee was fine. Dont fall for the BS man, who in their right mind would be happy with our center position? Allen was supposed to be an UPGRADE over Sullivan. Lmfao that worked out well. Blythe is a backup level player, no where near physical enough to be a starter. We either swung and missed on the OL we wanted to draft, or the FO seriously made a conscious decision to enter the season with the same starting 5 we ended with. I dont know which is worse.
This is where I ask, who would you have picked, where would you have picked them, and why? It’s a fair question. Answer any portion of it.

MachS

Hall of Fame
This is where I ask, who would you have picked, where would you have picked them, and why? It’s a fair question. Answer any portion of it.

I personally think we could have went OT at 52 or 57 or interior OL. That player would have started at LG over Corbett, allowing us to have some more depth while Noteboom rehabs. If we suffer an injury early in the season we are completely fucked and Demby is a starter again. Think about that. Then with one of our 3rd round picks I would have taken a center. Or I would have moved up to grab Hennessy or Cushenberry. Even if they wanted Blythe to start the season at C, I suspect both of those guys would have the starting C job by mid season as Blythe isn't physical enough. Upgrading the talent on the interior at 2 positions is what we need IMO.

Another perspective is okay maybe we run more 2-TE sets to help the o-line with blocking, that makes sense. Asking Woods or Kupp to crack down block on so many plays is kind of crazy honestly. Having 2-TEs on the field definitely improves our blocking, but if that is a strategy McVay wants to continue to use, why do we draft Jefferson at 57? We dont need 4 WRs if we're going to run a lot of 2 TE sets. The Jefferson pick tells me McVay wants to run a lot of 3 WR sets again. I mean that is his bread and butter so it makes sense. But that is putting our bad o-line is a tougher situation again, where they have to win 1-on-1 blocks and asking the WRs to help out blocking instead of TEs. Do people have confidence in our OL to block 1-on-1?

To me, making sure with 100% certainty the line was better this year should have been our main objective. The facts are Goff played bad last year. He was bad in the SB. He doesnt play well under pressure, we have 4 years of stats and evidence showing that. Why would we take the chance of letting the line be bad again? Goff's best years have come with a great running game. The running game was non existent last year. People want to blame it all on Gurley and granted he's not the same guy, but Henderson was bad last year too. If the line was blocking well he would have came in and did his thing. Yes we've invested a number of picks in OL the last couple years. But with Noteboom and Allen both hurt and playing very bad football before injury, its such a huge risk for this franchise to not use one of our top 4 picks on OL. What happens to Goff's confidence if he gets smashed and has another bad season? I seriously cant believe that we didn't target an OL prospect, it just doesn't make sense for us not to. So if we DID target someone, that means we missed out on our guy and I think it was Cushenberry. McVay can say he was mad about having the "wrong number".... what?? LOL people actually believe that. How do you have the wrong number, the NFL has to have documented contact info for all prospects. Also, all those shots of McVay and Snead aren't in real time, you know this if you go back and watch the TVs in the background from various NFL personnel. But on the other side of thinking, we have an aggressive GM, so wouldn't Les have traded up if we really, really loved one of those centers? Maybe the lack of draft picks + quarantine situation made him more hesitant? Seemed like there were less trades overall this year. Maybe we rolled the dice and wanted Hennessy or Cush to fall without trading picks, and just got unlucky. That is my guess.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I personally think we could have went OT at 52 or 57 or interior OL. That player would have started at LG over Corbett, allowing us to have some more depth while Noteboom rehabs. If we suffer an injury early in the season we are completely fucked and Demby is a starter again. Think about that. Then with one of our 3rd round picks I would have taken a center. Or I would have moved up to grab Hennessy or Cushenberry. Even if they wanted Blythe to start the season at C, I suspect both of those guys would have the starting C job by mid season as Blythe isn't physical enough. Upgrading the talent on the interior at 2 positions is what we need IMO.

Another perspective is okay maybe we run more 2-TE sets to help the o-line with blocking, that makes sense. Asking Woods or Kupp to crack down block on so many plays is kind of crazy honestly. Having 2-TEs on the field definitely improves our blocking, but if that is a strategy McVay wants to continue to use, why do we draft Jefferson at 57? We dont need 4 WRs if we're going to run a lot of 2 TE sets. The Jefferson pick tells me McVay wants to run a lot of 3 WR sets again. I mean that is his bread and butter so it makes sense. But that is putting our bad o-line is a tougher situation again, where they have to win 1-on-1 blocks and asking the WRs to help out blocking instead of TEs. Do people have confidence in our OL to block 1-on-1?

To me, making sure with 100% certainty the line is better this year should have been our main objective. The facts are Goff played bad last year. He was bad in the SB. He doesnt play well under pressure, we have 4 years of stats and evidence showing that. Why would we take the chance of letting the line be bad again? Goff's best years have come with a great running game. The running game was non existent last year. People want to blame it all on Gurley and granted he's not the same guy, but Henderson was bad last year too. If the line was blocking well he would have came in and did his thing. Yes we've invested a number of picks in OL the last couple years. But with Noteboom and Allen both hurt and playing very bad football before injury, its such a huge risk for this franchise to not use one of our top 4 picks on OL. What happens to Goff's confidence if he gets smashed and has another bad season? I seriously cant believe that we didn't target an OL prospect, it just doesn't make sense for us not to. So if we DID target someone, that means we missed out on our guy and I think it was Cushenberry. McVay can say he was mad about having the "wrong number".... what?? LOL people actually believe that. How do you have the wrong number, the NFL has to have documented contact info for all prospects, etc. Also those clips aren't in real time, you know this if you go back and watch the TVs in the background from various NFL personnel. But on the other side of thinking, we have an aggressive GM, so wouldn't Les have traded up if we really, really loved one of those centers? Maybe the lack of draft picks + quarantine situation made him more hesitant? Seemed like there were less trades overall this year. Maybe we wanted Hennessy or Cush to fall without trading picks, and just got unlucky. That is my guess.
I see where you are at. Too many variables. The Cush thing, I wondered about that on here. I saw McVay respond to himself freaking out, and really do believe him. Did I believe him about Gurley, nope.

Look, I’m not gonna change your mind, whatever I say. The OL is my obsession, I used to do detailed reports after every game, breaking down every play by them, and grading them.

I wanted, mocked OL for our first pick, the players I liked were loooong gone dude.

I can say, with a certain amount of confidence, that any OL we may have picked, would not, beat out any starter on our OL this year. We will know early in the season, if you track the available players.

I feel good about our OL. You don’t. I can’t argue a hypothetical, with what actually, transpired.

Cheers.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Cordy Glenn's versatility alone makes him useful I think getting away from Cincy would help. That being said I mentioned this earlier Jason Peters is still available and made Only 3.5 million last year he would not be expensive still playing at an extremely high level and allowed like 3 sack last year. Hate to even say this but he is actually better that big whit rt now. I would like the depth unless there is a trade like Everett for a lineman then this is the route I would go. No comp picks attached either as of Monday

MachS

Hall of Fame
I see where you are at. Too many variables. The Cush thing, I wondered about that on here. I saw McVay respond to himself freaking out, and really do believe him. Did I believe him about Gurley, nope.

Look, I’m not gonna change your mind, whatever I say. The OL is my obsession, I used to do detailed reports after every game, breaking down every play by them, and grading them.

I wanted, mocked OL for our first pick, the players I liked were loooong gone dude.

I can say, with a certain amount of confidence, that any OL we may have picked, would not, beat out any starter on our OL this year. We will know early in the season, if you track the available players.

I feel good about our OL. You don’t. I can’t argue a hypothetical, with what actually, transpired.

Cheers.

I got ya..Yea I'm frustrated but I do like some of our young players. I think Edwards and Evans are both nice players for their age and experience level. I hope Noteboom or Allen can come back and develop into good players, but to expect them to be factors this year is crazy to me. To expect further development and cohesion of the line makes sense and I'm sure will happen, but the risk/reward is just too great IMO. Because all that truly, truly matters is getting the offense back on track. And improving the o-line drastically is the easiest way to do that. We made the SB with a middle of the pack defense.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I got ya..Yea I'm frustrated but I do like some of our young players. I think Edwards and Evans are both nice players for their age and experience level. I hope Noteboom or Allen can come back and develop into good players, but to expect them to be factors this year is crazy to me. To expect further development and cohesion of the line makes sense and I'm sure will happen, but the risk/reward is just too great IMO. Because all that truly, truly matters is getting the offense back on track. And improving the o-line drastically is the easiest way to do that. We made the SB with a middle of the pack defense.
And this is where we believe the same exact thing...wait for it, we will be mediocre, with a mediocre OL. We can be great, with a good OL.

We just differ on what we have, and what you think, we could have. We are worlds apart though, not only in our current status, but by your hypothetical, trade up, prospect value, and development scenarios.

Last edited:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Well, a former 1st, two 2nd's, and our 3rd round draft pick from last year seem secure in starting positions.

Our weakest link is at OC and I'll take Blythe over Allen.

We were almost Fisher like predictable last year (until late in the season) on O and that makes the OL's job that much tougher.

Hopefully, with an energized backfield, we will be able to regain that element of "don't know what's coming next" we saw in '17 and '18.

I'd like to have seen a modern day version of Jackie Slater or a Dennis Harrah drafted but the scouting staff did not see one out there, or the very much over rated OL coach Komer did not bang the table hard enough.
If Corbett starts, then yes, hes a second rounder on our current oline, but a third rounder is considered mid rd pick. Point being, if our oline and our depth which largely consists of mid to late rounders is good enough, you cant say anymore mid to late rounders arent good enough. Unless the choices are just trash.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If Corbett starts, then yes, hes a second rounder on our current oline, but a third rounder is considered mid rd pick. Point being, if our oline and our depth which largely consists of mid to late rounders is good enough, you cant say anymore mid to late rounders arent good enough. Unless the choices are just trash.
A mid to late rounder is not going the step in as a rookie. You have the develop them. That is what they are doing now.

They have 7 first or second year players who played at times last year. And many played well down the stretch. Keep developing them.

WestCoastRam

Legend
This doesn't surprise me actually. Rich Hammond talked about it before the draft, said that if we thought about it, there's really nobody we would be picking up in the draft to be a day one starter, and the line was coming together by the end of the year, but early on injuries and inexperience doomed them.

Basically he thinks the line problems are actually over blown a little, while the unit probably isn't going to be like 2018, he thinks they'll be a fine line and good enough. I remember thinking before the draft we may not take a lineman at all on offense or defense.

I'm more surprised we didn't get more linebackers.

Not only were we not gonna pick up a day one starter at Oline but we're going to be discussing in the very near future a further truncated offseason. Best case scenario is we lose mini-camps but keep training camps and have a season without fans. It only gets worse from there. Partial or no training camps or training camps pushed into the fall and a shortened season. No season at all.

The honest answer is: most rookies this year will be marginalized across the NFL due to lack of access to weight rooms, training, instruction, etc... Positions such as oline which need even more concerted work in person will be even more affected. Whatever this year looks like, there is an inherent benefit to going with established (though one could argue how much!) talent at a position unless a rookie talent was heads and tails better or in a position like RB where the learning curve is not as steep as other positions.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
A mid to late rounder is not going the step in as a rookie. You have the develop them. That is what they are doing now.

They have 7 first or second year players who played at times last year. And many played well down the stretch. Keep developing them.
I'm not saying they have to step in right away. I think alot of our discussion on this topic are getting a bit too black and white. My take is we need more competition at the oline and we need quality back up or at least some more options at back up. Many played well down the stretch bc our schedule got easier during the last quarter, which is when our line played the best.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Over/under for Goff fumbles+INTs has to be 25. We have no chance with this line and no first rounder next year after we miss the playoffs again. We wont be able to run the ball and Goff under pressure lmao.

man I hope kromer and mcsnead know what they are doing? not going to pretend that I know more then them but looks to me like they are taking a hell of a chance with goffs health. can't imagine what we would do if goff gets injured. if two 2nd rounders could not improve our oline then what was the 7 rounder about (maybe a long snapper).

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

my self I would have gone Cleveland at52 and hennesy at 57

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
#1 RB is cut prior to draft.

Top draft choice is used on a RB.

This tells me coaches were not at all pleased with the production from the #1 RB position and I agree.

I, too, would have liked to see some OL selected but does anyone seriously think that a couple of mid round OL draft picks are going to be able to step right in and elevate the Ram OL to elite status?

If so, you are kidding yourself.

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/13py6c5BSnBkic/giphy.gif

And, this...

We are young, and deep.