Yeah, I'm not Retiring ~ Matthew Freakin Stafford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
IMG_20210204_160059_867(2)(1).jpg

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Best case scenario, he plays again next year, and Mayfield gets signed as the backup. We spend several of our highest picks on Oline, and we will at least be competitive again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is a reminder that Stafford isn't just the badass who steered us to a World Championship, he's also the resilient MFer who endured many tough seasons in Detroit. The dude is nails.

And it's going to be great to have a backup behind him who has starter talent. Good for everyone concerned I think, even Stafford. Will help keep him honest to know his replacement is probably behind him on that depth chart.

oldnotdead

Legend
Because of the cap he would be carried on the roster short of his retiring. But let's be realistic he's one hit away from retirement. I think Baker will gamble on himself and sign a two year deal. There is a good chance he would be the starter by 2025. That really is his best career option. To learn McVay's system, and to develop behind Stafford who will help mentor him about reading defenses. Baker has never had that kind of help and it could be a career changing opportunity in the best franchise in the NFL.

I would be shocked if Baker didn't sign on for 2 years, and be equally shocked if it's not offered to him. McVay would have a shiny new toy to meld into his kind of QB. With Stafford and Mayfield this team could be poised to make another SB run. All they need is an edge like Burns and a new DC. IMO if Staley doesn't make the playoffs, Telesco will be under pressure to hire Payton as HC. Sean should then hire Staley back. IMO that then would seal the deal if Staley returns to the Rams as their DC.

I could see them offering the Panthers their second this year and two firsts (2024 & 2025). The Cats are cap strapped and IMO would be receptive by looking at what Detroit did with their two firsts. Combined with their own they could move up to replace Burns and save the money. I think Snead will put on a full court press to get Burns to play opposite Floyd. That with AD for one more year would make this a deadly defense with or without Morris. He took a #1 defense that improved their personnel and dropped it into the middle of the pack. Some rank it between 14-18. The passing yardage given up because of his soft defense and the lack of pressures and sacks again due to soft defense has really downgraded this defense. Why is that okay with McVay who demands so much from the players? Akers and Goff come to mind. Yep Mediocre Morris. Wasn't good enough in Atlanta but fine in LA?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I could see them offering the Panthers their second this year and two firsts (2024 & 2025). The Cats are cap strapped ...

This is actually a rare instance where we agree. I wish Carolina had taken the Rams' offer of two #1s for Burns.

However, I got to ask ... Where did you read, see, hear or imagine that the Panthers are cap strapped?
I would have thought David Tepper was one of the most wealthy owners in the NFL.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Strange though... because he hasn't said shit in the media for months but then says this on a podcast.

I find that odd.

I never thought he was retiring but still interesting.
His wife's podcast, helping her expand her viewership.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I could see them offering the Panthers their second this year and two firsts (2024 & 2025). The Cats are cap strapped and IMO would be receptive by looking at what Detroit did with their two firsts. Combined with their own they could move up to replace Burns and save the money. I think Snead will put on a full court press to get Burns to play opposite Floyd.
I think that would be an enormous mistake. This team is going to need to change tactics now because everyone in the league adopted their strategy of building around high end castoffs. That only works when you're the one team doing it. Cat is out of that bag so it's time to switch gears.

What would that look like? Well the opposite. Something like trade AD to Pittsburgh so he can be close to his daughter and use those picks to help pull off a one year retool. If they can simply fill LT with the compensation that is a win for them. They can find DL all over in every draft.

I love AD but I'd be making him that offer right now. Give him time to ruminate on it.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Strange though... because he hasn't said shit in the media for months but then says this on a podcast.

I find that odd.

I never thought he was retiring but still interesting.
I find that whole podcast thing - a call, for "look at me..." anyway...
But, that may just be me. :unsure:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
However, I got to ask ... Where did you read, see, hear or imagine that the Panthers are cap strapped?
I would have thought David Tepper was one of the most wealthy owners in the NFL.
Owner wealth isn't really indicative of team CAP, all 32 clubs start the season with the same overall adjusted salary CAP, then subtract from that number based on active contracts.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Owner wealth isn't really indicative of team CAP, all 32 clubs start the season with the same overall adjusted salary CAP, then subtract from that number based on active contracts.

You are absolutely right.

For some reason ... no excuses ... I read it as Cash Strapped. That was stupid of me. And I'm not even drunk.

@oldnotdead ... I apologize.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that would be an enormous mistake. This team is going to need to change tactics now because everyone in the league adopted their strategy of building around high end castoffs. That only works when you're the one team doing it. Cat is out of that bag so it's time to switch gears.

What would that look like? Well the opposite. Something like trade AD to Pittsburgh so he can be close to his daughter and use those picks to help pull off a one year retool. If they can simply fill LT with the compensation that is a win for them. They can find DL all over in every draft.

I love AD but I'd be making him that offer right now. Give him time to ruminate on it.
Hell, you woulda traded me for Namath! ~ Merlin Olsen.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Hold on a second - I am not as bad as Kupp in his love for Morris

Edit - and in addition, first you say I am a Goff hater and then you say I am a Goff lover - let's get consistent please
He consistently mentioned Goff with reference to you both times.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
he might reconsider if they don't fix the Ol no qb can thrive in this setup.
If you mean behind a bunch of mostly 3rd string JAGS and one starter you’d be 100% correct. No QB can thrive behind that.

Great news. Reload in ‘23 and hope for better health all around. This is still a loaded roster.