WR's tearing ACL's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Newer coaches pushing them too hard? Remember the amount of injuries with Spags?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This really bums me out. I had hopes that he would make it out of all this. Just seems like a real good guy with no quit in him. Huge talent but just a bummer he couldn't stay on the field. Really sad.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
HitStick said:
Newer coaches pushing them too hard? Remember the amount of injuries with Spags?

And I had the nerve to argue that maybe - just maybe - we would see fewer injuries with Fish due to his experience on how to and NOT to work his players. Seems totally logical to me but a certain SOMEONE argued that it meant absolutely nothing and that all coaches do the same things. Huh?

But yeah - I have to believe you are dead on balls accurate. Not sure it is the case with DX as he has had such a history but...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That sucks for him, he should really consider getting out of the game and focusing on his life...so he can actually walk.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
RamFan503 said:
HitStick said:

And I had the nerve to argue that maybe - just maybe - we would see fewer injuries with Fish due to his experience on how to and NOT to work his players. Seems totally logical to me but a certain SOMEONE argued that it meant absolutely nothing and that all coaches do the same things. Huh?

But yeah - I have to believe you are dead on balls accurate. Not sure it is the case with DX as he has had such a history but...

Who in the world would argue that? It's a fact that over working muscles and ligaments without proper recouperation can lead to strains and tears.

Anyway, DX isn't like the rest. He was such and extensive history of this that history was bound to repeat itself. It sucks.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
bluecoconuts said:
Sucks for DX, that could very well be his career.

Yeah, I thought "that's it for him" as soon as I read it. That knee is toast. I sure feel bad for him. So much talent.. :boohoo:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I find it impossible to feel very sorry for someone who's made as much money as he has. I wish him well but that's as far as it goes for me.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I almost felt sick when I heard the news. Always hoped for the best for dax. Hope he made enough money to make his life easier for the next few years if he can't make it back on the field.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
albefree69 said:
I find it impossible to feel very sorry for someone who's made as much money as he has. I wish him well but that's as far as it goes for me.
Agreed. He took a shot at his dream,worked hard and made some good money along the way. His body wasn't up to it.
He's got a full life ahead of him post-football.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I hope you're right. TK! At least as far as being able to lead a somewhat painless life after surgery.

F. Mulder

Starter
One of the reasons the Rams let him go was primarily due to injury history and inability to consistently practice. When he did well last year a lot of us were reminded on how much better the Offense would be with him here (and it WOULD have been). But....A solid DA year with the Rams likely means they don't go heavy WR again this past draft and are left holding the bag so to speak, AND his knees ARE what they are---put together by surgeries and duct tape. I feel really bad for him and he is a talented WR and seemingly quality guy but letting him go looks like the right decision by far now that he is likely done.

fearsomefour

Legend
Feel bad for DX. Guy had a breakout campaign last year and was in line for a good payday if he could have maintained it. One of the bad things about always having injuries is you never fully recover. I dont know if DX torn that knee before, but, other injuries can lead to other movement and imbalance issues. There usually are a spate of knee injuries early in camp (usually related to lateral movement), then they die down. In season, these are usually caused by hits and not running or cutting. Speaking in general terms, this tells me guy spend alot of time working on strength and straight line speed in the offseason and not enough working on lateral movement. This is why every player is put through (or should be) a screen to check on imbalances in movement patterns, particularly for guys coming off of injury. Once the movement/imbalance issues have been addressed, then you can get on to moving heavy weight. This is why I think the braces are a good idea early in camp.
Unfortunatly for DX I think he knees are just not made to handle what the rest of his body can do. Its sad.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
HitStick said:
RamFan503 said:
HitStick said:

Who in the world would argue that? It's a fact that over working muscles and ligaments without proper recouperation can lead to strains and tears.

Anyway, DX isn't like the rest. He was such and extensive history of this that history was bound to repeat itself. It sucks.

I thought I made it obvious with the blood red font on SOMEONE. That would be ZN.

And as to Albe's comment. I do feel sorry for him but not for the money he is potentially missing out on. The guy loved to play the game. It would be like a sculptor losing feeling in his hands. Yeah maybe he would have sold a few sculptures and made some money, but what he loves to do is now gone. It's a depressing thought really.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
People Are Blaming The Rash Of NFL Training Camp Injuries On A Rule That Protects Players From Brain Damage
Tony Manfred Aug. 7, 2013, 12:33 PM 2,187 8

Because there's a growing body of evidence that football is an inherently dangerous sport that can result in long-term brain damage, the NFL players' union successfully negotiated new rules in 2011 that reduced the amount of physical contact players have in the offseason.

The league reduced the offseason program by five weeks, limited full-contact practices, cut the number of OTAs, and gave players more days off.

Basic long-term player health measures, in other words.

Now, those rules are being blamed for a string of lower-body injuries suffered by high-profile players since 2013 training camp opened a few weeks ago.

This line of thinking is completely misguided, but right now it seems to be the popular consensus.

"The new collective bargaining agreement creates too much time for the players to rest their bodies. As one front office exec told me, long rest helps joints, but long rest isn't great for tendons," ESPN's John Clayton writes.

He added, "If the players aren't doing enough running or training to keep the tendons constantly working, they are vulnerable to the ACL tears, Achilles pulls and other injuries that have hit teams."

Forbes' Leigh Steinberg wrote the same thing, saying injuries are inevitable when players stop hitting each other for an extended period of time.

Even if you accept the so-far unsubstantiated argument that rest increases the chances of a tendon injury, there are some logic issues here.

This argument — that players have too much time off — assumes that relatively short-term injuries are just as bad as the long-term injuries that the new offseason rules were designed to prevent.

They aren't.

The new rules were designed to limit the long-term health effects of football. It doesn't matter if some players are adversely effected in the short-term, the real problem is what's happening to NFL players years after they retire.

The leg injuries we've seen in training camp this year hurt the product on the field. The players will be fully healthy again in a year, and the biggest effect will be to the 2013 product.

The long-term brain injuries that these new rules are designed to prevent are in a completely different category. While they don't affect the 2013 product, these injuries destroy lives and stay with players long after they've finished playing.

More broadly, football is facing a crisis when it comes to the effect of brain injuries, and it needs to fundamentally change in order to survive.

Blaming the rash of training camp ACL tears on these new offseason rules ignores the larger issue and obstructs the league's ability to make the sport safer.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.businessinsider.com/rash-of-nfl-injuries-blamed-on-new-cba-rule-2013-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.businessinsider.com/rash-of- ... ule-2013-8</a>

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
ramsince62 identifying changing science:
People Are Blaming The Rash Of NFL Training Camp Injuries On A Rule That Protects Players From Brain Damage

Reminds me of the cholesterol dabate as to which is the good and which is the bad. Keeps changing all the time. Personally I think that keeping in shape year round is the solution. That and stop using PEDs. Now and when they're younger.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saints WR Joe Morgan tore his ACL today.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
The Saints DE Kenyon Coleman and the Bears CB Kelvin Hayden are out for the year too. Major injuries for our opponents.