Wow. Some stuff you might not know about Chris Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If they start having success with that....run that go route and run Tavon into the space the go route creates for a check down for Foles. I want some routes where Tavon is running across the field for some distance....crossing routes where he can create some space. If teams are manning up and other guys are getting attention, Givens, Cook or whoever, let Tavon use his speed laterally with a cross to create space.

I'd like to see that too. Even pick routes. Or use the back judge as a pick too. Just little things for Tavon to get some separation.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Same as we've always done. Sub-packages. I've resolved myself to the fact that no receiver in this offense is gonna get 100 receptions. And that's fine as long as we have a decent array of personnel packages that force defenses to substitute and scramble to adjust.

Yeah.

It would be nice to have the kind of guy in the receiving game who you'd have to be nuts to take off the field. But that's probably just my adolescent desire to be able to draft a Ram in fantasy football and have everyone else go "dammit!"

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
What I hate is that he's playing lights out in a contract season.

So yeah, I do hope the guy kills it for us because it's good for the Rams. But I'd honestly let him walk regardless and draft WR, CB and LB next year.
It does make you wonder sometimes how some players kick it up a notch in a contract year.Were they not trying 100% before that and if they weren't then I wouldn't give them a big contract.

lockdnram21

Legend
He needs to make this team and play. He is totally motivated AND he's playing lites out right now. That's no fluke.
My WR line just went
Bailey, Quick, Givens, Britt, Tavon.
Mine is Quick,Givens, Bailey, Britt, Tavon. Bailey has been having trouble getting open. if Givens continues playing well he will pass Britt and Bailey

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd like to see that too. Even pick routes. Or use the back judge as a pick too. Just little things for Tavon to get some separation.
I just hope he is used better than he has been. We all get he has speed. That doesn't mean he should just be running go routes. His real skill is in being quick, cutting ect. The WR screen we saw vs Oakland is fine, but, that usually means he is getting the ball standing still. Schotty would have him run to a spot, stop and wait for the ball.
Bringing him in motion before the snap....starting in the slot, running at an angle toward the sideline, stopping and making a hard cut back across the middle behind other WR that have cleared....starting in the backfield and coming out vs a LB....there should be ways to get him the ball in space and while he is on the move.
For years Welker was uncover able, not because he was fast but because he could cut without slowing down on a dime and ran great routes. Austin is not a great route runner, at least not yet, but has great speed and shift. It seems to me getting him the ball in space at say 7 yards down field and let him improvise after that could be a real boost. He is a guy who can take a 7 yards pass....if he is moving and has a step or two....and turn it into a 20 yard gain on a pretty regular basis.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Here is what I don't understand. Tayvon is one of the fastest guys in the league, and can't go deep to save his life, or we just don't do it with him. From what I've seen, he doesn't seem to get separation. Givens, while fast, is not as fast as Tayvon...yet he can get separation.
I'd actually like to see them lineup and race...probably the first 40 Tavon wins...Givens probably has that long speed & would pass him around 60/80 yards...Plus he's stronger, can run through press coverage easier, harder to knock off stride..I can see how the slightest tap could mess up Tavon's route. Givens is an-ex RB (isn't every pro?) so his speed/strength combo is right up there with a Percy Harvin type...

Tavon needs to get in the playbook, start working with some of these new little wrs that are tearing a new icehole in this league...Ant. Browns, Brandin Cooks, TY...to many to list...I saw Stevie Brown playing, he was setting up DB's so sweet....Why not call that dude in the offseason, work on your craft? Ike Bruce...Torry Holt...If Tavon still has trouble after year 3, no one to blame but himself...But, to me, he's looked better this pre-season as a wr, than at any other moment in the pros...These "raw" players....all of them...needed 3 years..think Snisher understood that...It took me till Quick to figure that out as well...Watch Pead, Quick, Tavon, Sted (yep, he's as raw as Tavon too) bust out...Watch G-Rob NEXT year! All raw...less time in camp...

These players are getting better, but it's a painfully slow process. Why, because they are the BEST on our team, and we need them to win...Until they get up to speed, the Rams, as a team will struggle. I think that is the main reason we took seasoned, pro-style O-Linemen...learning curve was cut in half...

@fearsomefour said:
starting in the slot, running at an angle toward the sideline, stopping and making a hard cut back across the middle behind other WR that have cleared
Givens has been running a bunch of routes from the slot...the crossers esp. They have worked beautifully too...

fancents86

Starter
I don't think you can call Givens a "one trick pony" anymore. He's been catching balls all preseason and they've been all over the field, not just deep balls.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I really like our receiving corps. I think we're going to surprise some people this year. As long as the line gives Foles some time, we can carve some teams up.

jap

Legend
When Chris Givens was drafted, he was considered the best route runner in the entire draft. Granted, it was a relatively weak draft for receivers that year, but, nevertheless, he supposedly possessed the best 'shake & bake' skills that year.