Wow. Some stuff you might not know about Chris Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We need to get this guy play time, at least one deep shot per game. If Foles connects on half of them, that's going to scare the defense every time he's on the field to open up running room.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
He needs to make this team and play. He is totally motivated AND he's playing lites out right now. That's no fluke.
My WR line just went
Bailey, Quick, Givens, Britt, Tavon.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He needs to make this team and play. He is totally motivated AND he's playing lites out right now. That's no fluke.
My WR line just went

We have to line him up at the X position a few times a game and take some shots deep. Just being a backup guy won't help much.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I hate is that he's playing lights out in a contract season.

So yeah, I do hope the guy kills it for us because it's good for the Rams. But I'd honestly let him walk regardless and draft WR, CB and LB next year.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
We need to get this guy play time, at least one deep shot per game. If Foles connects on half of them, that's going to scare the defense every time he's on the field to open up running room.

It should be fairly easily to get him 1 on 1 coverage with some decoys. Give him one or 2 shots a game on the go route and see what happens.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
What I hate is that he's playing lights out in a contract season.

So yeah, I do hope the guy kills it for us because it's good for the Rams. But I'd honestly let him walk regardless and draft WR, CB and LB next year.

Well, that depends on what he's asking for. What if he goes 1200 yards and 10 TDs? Just let him walk?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
At least Frank Cignetti is catering to his strengths. His resurgence also likely has to do with having a QB that has good arm strength compared to Clemens, Hill, and Davis.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
He creates a problem for a defense, no doubt. Even if he is a one trick pony, it is a heck of a trick and should open things up elsewhere in a secondary. We have a lot of interesting talent at WR this year. Possibilities for mismatches all day if Cigs uses his tools right. Cook, Tavon and Givens are capable of KILLING man coverage. Steddy, Britt and Quick can work effectively against man and zone. Mix and Match Ciggy!! Smoke em' UP!!!

Psycho_X

Legend
I'll admit I had him out the door before this season began. He's shown that he still has his skill set. It's only one but it's effective. We just haven't had a healthy QB capable of using it for the last two years now. Foles will exploit Givens skillset every time if given the chance to throw the ball. And at least, god forbid, Case Keenum has to come in he has an arm also. At least we got rid of all of our noodle arm QBs.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Here is what I don't understand. Tayvon is one of the fastest guys in the league, and can't go deep to save his life, or we just don't do it with him. From what I've seen, he doesn't seem to get separation. Givens, while fast, is not as fast as Tayvon...yet he can get separation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My WR line just went
On paper this looks like it could be a 'Killer' Receiving Corps!(y):D

He's definitely earned a new shot in my mind.
I'll second this emotion!!

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
We have to line him up at the X position a few times a game and take some shots deep. Just being a backup guy won't help much.

I kinda thought of him more as a Z. I think Quick is the X iso guy, and frankly I kinda think Britt's a better fit there too, but we've kind of been trying to make the best of having two X iso type guys.

fearsomefour

Legend
It should be fairly easily to get him 1 on 1 coverage with some decoys. Give him one or 2 shots a game on the go route and see what happens.
If they start having success with that....run that go route and run Tavon into the space the go route creates for a check down for Foles. I want some routes where Tavon is running across the field for some distance....crossing routes where he can create some space. If teams are manning up and other guys are getting attention, Givens, Cook or whoever, let Tavon use his speed laterally with a cross to create space.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kinda thought of him more as a Z. I think Quick is the X iso guy, and frankly I kinda think Britt's a better fit there too, but we've kind of been trying to make the best of having two X iso type guys.
I'd like to see more of Givens in the Y (on both sides of the field) because he's done some damage from there in the past. Not just on seam busters either. Some of his prettier catches came from the left side in the Y on flag routes, and I think he tracks the ball better when running to the right as opposed to the left.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
I'd like to see more of Givens in the Y (on both sides of the field) because he's done some damage from there in the past. Not just on seam busters either. Some of his prettier catches came from the left side in the Y on flag routes, and I think he tracks the ball better when running to the right as opposed to the left.

Yeah, he has worked the middle of the field some hasn't he?

I guess the question then becomes, "what do you do with Tavon and Britt and Quick?"

Unless you're doing a steady rotation or going 4 wide.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Here is what I don't understand. Tayvon is one of the fastest guys in the league, and can't go deep to save his life, or we just don't do it with him. From what I've seen, he doesn't seem to get separation. Givens, while fast, is not as fast as Tayvon...yet he can get separation.
Austin was hit deep in our first preseason game, it just didn't result in a TD, but that's only because it was obvious that Austin wasn't running as hard as he would be in a real game.

Cignetti is getting these guys good match ups and playing to their strengths, I think we'll see even more out of Tavon when the games matter and we stop playing store brand vanilla ala our defense suddenly shitting all over the Colts when it seemed like we couldn't begin to stop them in the 1st quarter.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, he has worked the middle of the field some hasn't he?

I guess the question then becomes, "what do you do with Tavon and Britt and Quick?"

Unless you're doing a steady rotation or going 4 wide.
Same as we've always done. Sub-packages. I've resolved myself to the fact that no receiver in this offense is gonna get 100 receptions. And that's fine as long as we have a decent array of personnel packages that force defenses to substitute and scramble to adjust.