wow all the negatives

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
yet no one is talkin bout this at all

[nfl]0ap2000000231246[/nfl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/</a>[hilite]0ap2000000231246[/hilite]/Cook-37-yard-reception

tried the nfl button but no go on the imbed but vid is there and speaks for itself

COOK is a BEAST

MOD EDIT: See what I highlighted? That's what goes inside the NFL tags.

fearsomefour

Legend
Here is a positive for you....and a sign of things to come for this offense....

5 Rams had catches over 20 yards and Johnson averaged over 19 yards per catch for his three. In other words, big plays abound.
Sam completing 8 passes for over 150 yards and about 13 yards per attempt....beautiful.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There's not a ton of negatives on this board. Just legit concerns over things that can and should be corrected. We all expect this team to experience some hiccups this year due to the youth of its players, but there will be enough plays like the one to Givens, and the one in that video, to keep us in games this year. We still haven't seen Bradford turn up the heat in the 4th quarter like he did last year, so we're really only seeing half of what we can really do right now.

Actually, using only a fraction of the playbook right now makes it LESS than half of what we can do.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
There's not a ton of negatives on this board. Just legit concerns over things that can and should be corrected. We all expect this team to experience some hiccups this year due to the youth of its players, but there will be enough plays like the one to Givens, and the one in that video, to keep us in games this year. We still haven't seen Bradford turn up the heat in the 4th quarter like he did last year, so we're really only seeing half of what we can really do right now.

Actually, using only a fraction of the playbook right now makes it LESS than half of what we can do.

All true X, but the execution was poor much of the time particularly after the 1's left...but I was grateful to see AD stand in there and deliver. Obviously too many mistakes once again and then there were the drops. All in all not an auspicious beginning at home, I suspect most were disappointed. Like many, I don't expect much during preseason, but I'd sure hoped to see a little more continuity and scoring along the way beginning today.

Personally, I hope they clean things up this coming week and put in a MUCH better showing against Denver next week and that ain't going to be easy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, no other TE on the Rams roster gets half the yards Cook got on that play. Not even Kendricks.

However, while I'm probably in the minority on this, those passes out of the backfield to Richardson probably excite me the most so far this preseason.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memphis Ram said:
IMO, no other TE on the Rams roster gets half the yards Cook got on that play. Not even Kendricks.

However, while I'm probably in the minority on this, those passes out of the backfield to Richardson probably excite me the most so far this preseason.

Me too on all of this.

I gotta say; D Richardson keeps on surprising me. He's looked solid this preseason on just about every touch.

TexRamFan

Rookie
X said:
Just legit concerns over things that can and should be corrected. We all expect this team to experience some hiccups this year due to the youth of its players, but there will be enough plays like the one to Givens, and the one in that video, to keep us in games this year.

Good points. And this is something I was talking to a buddy about last night.

Fortunately and finally we now have a great coaching staff that knows how to make adjustments, corrections and improvements. With the last few coaching staffs the same mistakes keep resurfacing and the product never seemed to improve from week to week. If we didnt have this staff I would be seriously concerned, but for some reason I have a feeling we are going to be just fine. Even with all of these young pups and rookies I have faith that this coaching staff can do what they do and coach these kids up.

All week long I read words like vanilla, basic, not showing much, keeping it simple, etc. etc. Hard to get excited about a game or put too much into the outcomes when that is all you read.

The offense is looking more explosive and finally has big play potential even though they layed up an egg. I finally think they are going to put up some points and the days of hand it off to SJax and run it up the gut are long gone. And Im pretty happy about that.

The second team is hard to watch, but lets face it. Fisher took over a team with the talent level of a small college. The improvements over a year have been amazing to me. As time progresses and the young guys get more reps they will slowly get better. Hopefully the roster will then start to take shape and players can step up when needed.

Now, lets let Fish and company do what they do best: work on some weaknesses and chew some tails so we can prepare and get ready to SMASH Arizona in week 1!

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
More explosive offense?.....let's see the 1's have accounted for exactly 1 TD (excluding 50+ yard FG's) in two games and they couldn't score from 1st and goal on 4 attempts. If Richardson looks better (which I agree), is it because he's gotten a lot better or the rest (with momentary exceptions) aren't playing up to par? Yes we have excellent coaches, but does this performance validate results?

As Rams fans we can assure ourselves all we like, but over the past 2 weeks the offense has been less than stellar, pre season or no. Personally, I expected more....I still do. If this offense is so much better, I'd like to see something a bit more than sporadic flashes and assurances by fellow fans that this offense really can score when they want to or when someone rings the starting bell. At this moment, and I'm still drinking the kool aid, this team has to string together some descent drives culminating with points.....or is this the ONLY team playing hooky?

Continuity, rhythm, performance and results begin with consistency of execution.....I'm sure many of you remember John McKay's remark concerning the same question: execution?.....I'm for it.

Obviously my remarks are directed towards the offense in this post, then again, I've never seen a team effectively compete that couldn't score points.....if I sound harsh, believe me, I'm trying my best to remain optimistic despite this only being the 2nd game. Or does everyone believe that they just "turn on the lights" in September and all is well? :amped:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Regarding the lack of TDs, does anyone know who has the most TDs this preseason?

Tyrod Taylor (GB) with 4. Aaron Rodgers should be worried, methinks.

Among those with zero TDs: Stafford, Rodgers, Romo.

Those with only one TD in preseason: Bradford, Manning, Flacco, Vick, Brees, Palmer, Newton.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If you ask me the star of that play isn't Sam or Cook...its Corey Harkey.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well considering greenbays 1s scored 0tds and only fgs and had we not gone for it on 4th we would have done the same. So i would say im really not worried. Conversion on 3rd down and penalties are my concern and those can be and will be addressed.

TexRamFan

Rookie
ramsince62 said:
More explosive offense?.....let's see the 1's have accounted for exactly 1 TD (excluding 50+ yard FG's) in two games and they couldn't score from 1st and goal on 4 attempts.

Obviously my remarks are directed towards the offense in this post, then again, I've never seen a team effectively compete that couldn't score points.....if I sound harsh, believe me, I'm trying my best to remain optimistic despite this only being the 2nd game. Or does everyone believe that they just "turn on the lights" in September and all is well? :amped:

I guess I should have said flashed "potential" of being more explosive.

I am not for sure of the exact statistics of the first team offense in the pre-season, but you have seen two 50+ yd passes to Givens, a 30+ yd gain from Cook, and a 20+ yd pass out of the backfield from Richardson plus a few nice runs out of a few drives. Bradford is averaging more Yards Per Completion than I think he ever has. his completion percentage is up and the offense often sets up with a more spread look than I have seen in quite some time.

I will be the first to admit, I am being very optimistic, and I agree with you that they couldn't score from 1st and goal which was dissapointing, but on the bright side the play they ran worked except for the execution (Austin being open and Bradford over throwing him). Hopefully they will develop their chemistry and work on that. Last week Bradford and Givens hooked up in the redzone which was encouraging.

I do not think it will be as easy as "turning in the lights", but in the first game we saw no Cook and no Austin. This game Austin was targeted more often and Cook got a look or two. You also saw Pead start and get touches over Richardson. It really seems the coaching staff prepares for preseason games by wanting to look at specific players instead of worrying about exploting matchups and the outcomes of the game in terms of score. IMO that can make a big difference.

tonyl711

Starter
ill agree the Rams aren't lighting up the scoreboard, but they are moving the ball, in large chunks in some cases, and doing this playing a very basic Offense. right now IMO the biggest concerns are, dropped passes and who will be the #2 RB, the drops I think will take care of themselves the WRs are all young and the drops might just be jitters hopefully coachable, the #2 RB is a concern because Pead is not showing me enough to want him in there, I would like to see a DR Stacey combo in the next game as I think that's what it will eventually end up being. Sam looks poised and confident, throwing catchable balls almost every throw. the Oline is doing a real good job in pass protection, not the best at running, but keep Sam upright and ill take it. I think you see a very different offense in the regular season.

ramsince62 said:
More explosive offense?.....let's see the 1's have accounted for exactly 1 TD (excluding 50+ yard FG's) in two games and they couldn't score from 1st and goal on 4 attempts. If Richardson looks better (which I agree), is it because he's gotten a lot better or the rest (with momentary exceptions) aren't playing up to par? Yes we have excellent coaches, but does this performance validate results?

As Rams fans we can assure ourselves all we like, but over the past 2 weeks the offense has been less than stellar, pre season or no. Personally, I expected more....I still do. If this offense is so much better, I'd like to see something a bit more than sporadic flashes and assurances by fellow fans that this offense really can score when they want to or when someone rings the starting bell. At this moment, and I'm still drinking the kool aid, this team has to string together some descent drives culminating with points.....or is this the ONLY team playing hooky?

Continuity, rhythm, performance and results begin with consistency of execution.....I'm sure many of you remember John McKay's remark concerning the same question: execution?.....I'm for it.

great post and completely agree with everything you said. we can be as optimistic as we want but i havent seen anything that makes me think we win 11 or 12 games as some were saying a few weeks ago. also, i really wish we could have scored a td with our first unit off last night. i mean jesus, it is the preseason home opener give the fans a little hint of what can supposedly be expected. so far, im not impressed....

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again i say greenbays 1s didn't score a td either so i guess they won't win 11 or 12 either?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
With all due respect, I could care less about GB's or Dallas's 1's for comparison sake. Their starting line up is already established and secure. There are certainly fewer questions concerning their output as compared to our offense. As for "big chunks of yardage", take away two passes to Givens, then what do you have? All I know is Fisher said himself that he was looking for and anticipating better scoring (TD's instead of FG's), did we see any from the 1's or even the 2's? My point again is execution, especially with a little consistency.

During pre-season pure "athleticism" and raw abilities "tend" to show themselves, especially now when mistakes tend to occur more often. I see it from Givens and Richardson and yes there's the one nice pass to Cook across the middle, but in all honesty, shouldn't we be seeing more production from the 1's and even the 2's, vanilla or no vanilla?

I know, I know, there are numerous (excuses and explanations) concerning these evaluations, etc., etc., but honestly, how many of you are satisfied with the "O" so far? From a pure scoring aspect, we're no different than last year. I look at teams like the Eagles and the Jets for example who have numerous challenges and issues and yet they at least can put up a few points along the way. Ultimately, it's not even about points per say, but more about how the team looks and responds and offensively speaking, I'm under whelmed.

A team doesn't have to win many or even any of its preseason games, but I'd sure like to see more production than I've seen so far from this offense. Last week 0-17 after the first Q, this week 0-12 until the 4th Q. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm disappointed. At this point, anyone suggesting that we're as good as either Niners or Seattle, I want some of what you're smoking.

Now once again, before the nay sayer's descend on me, I'm still drinking the Kool Aid, but it's getting a bit stale.

So now we march into Denver to test our 1's for potentially the very last time before things get really serious,..... how many here expect a revelation and turn around in week 3? Better yet, how many honestly feel confident about this teams scoring ability and performance going into regular season at this point? As for Tavon, Vanilla or not, he was surrounded out there most of the time and suddenly the speed of the pro game has become a wake up call and just as Holt commented, Tavon will get some big break away's, but not as many as he did in college.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
With all due respect, I could care less about GB's or Dallas's 1's for comparison sake. Their starting line up is already established and secure. There are certainly fewer questions concerning their output as compared to our offense. As for "big chunks of yardage", take away two passes to Givens, then what do you have? All I know is Fisher said himself that he was looking for and anticipating better scoring (TD's instead of FG's), did we see any from the 1's or even the 2's? My point again is execution, especially with a little consistency.

During pre-season pure "athleticism" and raw abilities "tend" to show themselves, especially now when mistakes tend to occur more often. I see it from Givens and Richardson and yes there's the one nice pass to Cook across the middle, but in all honesty, shouldn't we be seeing more production from the 1's and even the 2's, vanilla or no vanilla?

I know, I know, there are numerous (excuses and explanations) concerning these evaluations, etc., etc., but honestly, how many of you are satisfied with the "O" so far? From a pure scoring aspect, we're no different than last year. I look at teams like the Eagles and the Jets for example who have numerous challenges and issues and yet they at least can put up a few points along the way. Ultimately, it's not even about points per say, but more about how the team looks and responds and offensively speaking, I'm under whelmed.

A team doesn't have to win many or even any of its preseason games, but I'd sure like to see more production than I've seen so far from this offense. Last week 0-17 after the first Q, this week 0-12 until the 4th Q. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm disappointed. At this point, anyone suggesting that we're as good as either Niners or Seattle, I want some of what you're smoking.

Now once again, before the nay sayer's descend on me, I'm still drinking the Kool Aid, but it's getting a bit stale.

So now we march into Denver to test our 1's for potentially the very last time before things get really serious,..... how many here expect a revelation and turn around in week 3? Better yet, how many honestly feel confident about this teams scoring ability and performance going into regular season at this point? As for Tavon, Vanilla or not, he was surrounded out there most of the time and suddenly the speed of the pro game has become a wake up call and just as Holt commented, Tavon will get some big break away's, but not as many as he did in college.
Yeah, I get all that. You and I could frame the preseason (so far) any way we like, and it would suit our needs or satisfy biases just fine. But to what end? You or I are gonna see what we wanna see regardless of counterviews.

So here's how it boils down for me. How the season plays out, I have no control over that. How I set my mind to viewing the sesaon AS it plays out? I have 100% control over that. I simply *choose* to be optimistic (again) about the Rams' chances this year regardless of what I'm seeing and/or hearing to the contrary.

My time is better spent being blissful (and purposeful) in the way I get behind my favorite team than it is trying to somehow will a resolution to a problem by way of complaining about it to my fellow fan. It will either work out or it won't, and there's nothing I can do to alter the course of that outcome. Except of course to wear a home jersey when they're on the road and to not point any of my TVs to the west.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd like to see some points on the board from the 1s, too, but last year they got a couple of 1st quarter scores in preseason game #2 vs. the Chiefs and that didn't mean anything either.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I get all that. You and I could frame the preseason (so far) any way we like, and it would suit our needs or satisfy biases just fine. But to what end? You or I are gonna see what we wanna see regardless of counterviews.

So here's how it boils down for me. How the season plays out, I have no control over that. How I set my mind to viewing the sesaon AS it plays out? I have 100% control over that. I simply *choose* to be optimistic (again) about the Rams' chances this year regardless of what I'm seeing and/or hearing to the contrary.

My time is better spent being blissful (and purposeful) in the way I get behind my favorite team than it is trying to somehow will a resolution to a problem by way of complaining about it to my fellow fan. It will either work out or it won't, and there's nothing I can do to alter the course of that outcome. Except of course to wear a home jersey when they're on the road and to not point any of my TVs to the west.

Just blowin off some steam X with a perspective or two. Admittedly, I have a (half empty) side, guess that comes with the "PTSD" after 51 years in the trench's sort-to-speak.

I think Fisher said it best: "Basically what we looked for going into this ball game was improving over last week. Right now I don’t feel like we saw that."

Neither did I, but next week could change things....tough town though.