Would the NFL really allow a 5-6 win team into the playoffs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Watching the Falcons, I don't see them winning more then one game down the stretch. The Saints look terrible and the Panthers are pretty pathetic as well(I knew they were an enigma last season). I don't really see that division winning more then 5-6 more games. I know it depends on division but, would the NFL really want to let a team like that in the playoffs? Wouldn't that kind of put a black mark on the shield?

iced

Watching the Falcons, I don't see them winning more then one game down the stretch. The Saints look terrible and the Panthers are pretty pathetic as well(I knew they were an enigma last season). I don't really see that division winning more then 5-6 more games. I know it depends on division but, would the NFL really want to let a team like that in the playoffs? Wouldn't that kind of put a black mark on the shield?

Panthers had a lot more talent last season..biggest changes came to the line imo

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
They would LOVE IT. Absolutely love it.

Why? Because it would enrage fans and make the case for expanded playoffs, which the NFL has wanted for years...YEARS, but the players have fought off.

Well, if the NFC South gets in with any record less than 9-7 (which is all, but certain), then you can bet that fans will be screaming for expanded playoffs.

As well, if the Rams win out and play like they've been playing which I expect, you will see more than a few articles that the best or one of the top teams in the NFC isn't in the playoffs while the sorry NFC South champs is in.

Between the Cards last year and potentially the Rams this year, it could be the last of this current playoff format.

And the NFL would be giddy about it. While being diplomatic and all that at the podium, of course...

Alan

Legend
Mackeyser with this:
They would LOVE IT. Absolutely love it.

Why? Because it would enrage fans and make the case for expanded playoffs, which the NFL has wanted for years...YEARS, but the players have fought off.
I'm lost here. How would expanded playoffs keep a division winner out? It would have let the Cards in the playoffs last year but that's not what we're talking about here is it? Doesn't make any sense to me Mac. Can you explain how that would work?

The only remedy would be to reduce the number of divisions or just take the top X amount of teams regardless of division. I wouldn't like that at all. Especially if you'd still have to play 2 games against everyone in your division. Wouldn't be fair.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm lost here. How would expanded playoffs keep a division winner out? It would have let the Cards in the playoffs last year but that's not what we're talking about here is it? Doesn't make any sense to me Mac. Can you explain how that would work?
I'm sort of at a loss myself. I think they should keep divisions but get rid I winners. Best records are in.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I know that people want a division winner to make the playoffs so that division games mean something but no team with less than eight wins deserves to be in the playoffs over teams with more than eight wins, even if they win their crappy division. Here is what I propose:

Teams divided from 1-6 seeds in each conference. The first tie breaker between teams with matching records will be head to head. If they didn't play or if they split the season series, then overall division record will be the next tiebreaker. Or you could have overall division record being the first tie breaker and head to head the next. This way you'll have the best and most deserving teams in the playoffs with division games still having a huge importance. Sorry, but I want to see the best teams in the playoffs, not a Falcons or Saints team of this year.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
The thing that should change is that a wild card team could have a better record than the division winner and get the home game! Very likely to be that way this year and home field is a big advantage!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't clear.

No, division winners wouldn't be kept out. However, the more deserving teams wouldn't be excluded. That way it wouldn't be a radical change. The NFL would literally just expanding the playoffs.

The only real "losers" in this would be the first two teams since they would lose the "bye" week in the playoffs... although, we've seen plenty of teams who've suffered from the time off, so maybe keeping the routine will help.

jrc

UDFA
Name
Jr
If a division can't come up with a team that has a winning record that division looses their right to the playoffs. The spot would go to the next best winning team. That's what I would propose.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I know this sounds crazy... But if the NFC South champ finishes with five wins, I honestly would not be surprised if the NFL steps in and changes the rules on the spot. Six wins? They'll let it slide since there has been 7-win playoff teams before (only one game worse). But five? I think something could happen... like making an in-season adjustment allowing a third wild card team in lieu of the NFC South representative.

People won't believe that's a possibility, only because the NFL hasn't done anything like that before, but that doesn't mean they won't.

I'm not expecting it to happen by any means. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

But it's pointless to discuss really... between NO and ATL, I think they have one more win between the two of them.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I know this sounds crazy... But if the NFC South champ finishes with five wins, I honestly would not be surprised if the NFL steps in and changes the rules on the spot. Six wins? They'll let it slide since there has been 7-win playoff teams before (only one game worse). But five? I think something could happen... like making an in-season adjustment allowing a third wild card team in lieu of the NFC South representative.

People won't believe that's a possibility, only because the NFL hasn't done anything like that before, but that doesn't mean they won't.

I'm not expecting it to happen by any means. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

But it's pointless to discuss really... between NO and ATL, I think they have one more win between the two of them.
That would be the same as fixing games.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I was just wondering the same thing. Geez. So your team loses in week 14 putting you at 5-8 and you are LEADING the division. Do What??? My son said it best: "It's not the NFC West".

CodeMonkey

Would we have to add a * if said 5/6 win division winning team went on to win the Lombardi?

(edit)....I suppose not and it sure would be worth the price of admission. Lets Go Falcons!!!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
What's the biggie? Seattle made the playoffs with a losing record and won a playoff game in the process in 2010.

We could of been a division champ at 8-8 if we took care of business.

No system is perfect. That being said with 4 team divisions this will continue to happen every so often.

CodeMonkey

What's the biggie? Seattle made the playoffs with a losing record and won a playoff game in the process in 2010.

We could of been a division champ at 8-8 if we took care of business.

No system is perfect. That being said with 4 team divisions this will continue to happen every so often.
The biggie is that it just doesnt seem right that you should make the playoffs with a losing record. Much less something as pathetic as 5 or 6 wins. It just doesnt smell right. But you are right. No system is perfect. And, within the confides of the rules it is possible that said team can win a superbowl. Im actually rooting for it at this point (to the extent the Rams are excuded, of course) for historical purposes. Go Falcons!!!!!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
How isn't it?
Changing rules mid season. Fixing the outcome of a div. race by eliminating the whole div. from the playoffs. How about since that div. is eliminated shouldn't all the wins and losses by other teams against that div. not count? At that point why not just pick who they want to play in the SB and scrap the rest.

If the NFL was ever that stupid to change rules during the season affecting the outcome, what league officials that weren't in prison for racketeering would be out of work since Congress would be running the NFL.