Would the NFL really allow a 5-6 win team into the playoffs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Really, dude? Not sure why you felt the first shot was necessary at all. No one's opposing Goodell just to oppose him, but the vast majority of changes he proposes are unnecessary and stupid. He's the worst commissioner I've ever seen the NFL have, and that'd still be the case if the NFL had more than 3 different commissioners in my experience.

And nothing is broken if a 5 win team happens to get in due to statistical anomaly. The best NFC team will still go to the Super Bowl, and at least 3 of the NFC South teams will have great draft picks to make their team better so that it's not likely to repeat, just as it didn't repeat when the 7 win Seahawks went to the playoffs in 2014. 4 years later, and that weak division is now considered the strongest.

No shot. I agree that Goodell sucks. His changes are not well received. As a result, people seem to automatically view any potential changes with skepticism (and usually rightfully so), hence the comment.

I'm just saying, regardless of public opinion, this is one change I'd be on board with. I'm not OK with teams like the Rams and Seahawks potentially sitting at home in favor of an NFC South team.

An anomaly maybe, but why live with it when there's an easy fix that has little to no effect on the current system?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
No shot. I agree that Goodell sucks. His changes are not well received. As a result, people seem to automatically view any potential changes with skepticism (and usually rightfully so), hence the comment.

I'm just saying, regardless of public opinion, this is one change I'd be on board with. I'm not OK with teams like the Rams and Seahawks potentially sitting at home in favor of an NFC South team.

An anomaly maybe, but why live with it when there's an easy fix that has little to no effect on the current system?
I *could* see such a change happening in the off season. I truly doubt it would happen since there'd be too many complaints that you'd make divisions worthless. I suggested simply not guaranteeing division champs a home game, just a seed in the playoffs and I doubt that will happen either.

BUT... there is no way it could, would or should happen in the middle of the season. That's all I'm saying.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
Why don't both of you guys stand against the wall and see who can pee the highest, that'll settle this for sure!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

So are you in favor of like a college playoff bracketing system wherein SOS and PF/PA would be the determining factor in who makes the playoffs and who doesn't?

StevenG-BR

Rookie
So are you in favor of like a college playoff bracketing system wherein SOS and PF/PA would be the determining factor in who makes the playoffs and who doesn't?

No not really. I mean, I like the divisions and the current system. I think winning a division should mean something, I just don't think it should determine home-field advantage. And I think there should be an amendment to prevent div champs from making the playoffs with 7 or less wins.

I think losing teams should be replaced by a third wild card (only if the wild card has a winning record).

And I saw you edited my earlier post. My bad for losing it. I just think sarcasm/insults should stay at the PD where it belongs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No not really. I mean, I like the divisions and the current system. I think winning a division should mean something, I just don't think it should determine home-field advantage. And I think there should be an amendment to prevent div champs from making the playoffs with 7 or less wins.

I think losing teams should be replaced by a third wild card (only if the wild card has a winning record).

And I saw you edited my earlier post. My bad for losing it. I just think sarcasm/insults should stay at the PD where it belongs.
I like the divisions the way they are too, because they're necessary for establishing rivalries and giving teams motivation for winning their division. Otherwise, there's nothing to shoot - or no short-term goals to achieve. Those division games take on more importance. If you add an amendment to prevent division champs from making the playoffs, it kind of diminishes the importance of divisions. Since the problem is that teams with more wins are left outside, I think the better amendment would be to expand the playoff system to more teams and more playoff games.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I like the divisions the way they are too, because they're necessary for establishing rivalries and giving teams motivation for winning their division. Otherwise, there's nothing to shoot - or no short-term goals to achieve. Those division games take on more importance. If you add an amendment to prevent division champs from making the playoffs, it kind of diminishes the importance of divisions. Since the problem is that teams with more wins are left outside, I think the better amendment would be to expand the playoff system to more teams and more playoff games.

I definitely agree about the importance of the division games.

Problem with expanding the playoffs is the years when all the division winners are 14-2 to 11-5. Then, because we expanded the playoffs when our teams couldn't get in, we'd be right back to allowing 7-9 and 8-8 teams into the playoffs. Then the complaints would roll in from teams not happy that they have to win more playoff games against bad teams they beat in the regular season to get to the SB. At least this year's 7-9 playoff team will have a valid reason that they are there. They at least took care of their division.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
While I do not want the playoffs expanded (I think the NHL and NBA allow too many teams in), I think the best solution would be fewer divisions and record decide home field.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Then the complaints would roll in from teams not happy that they have to win more playoff games against bad teams they beat in the regular season to get to the SB
Possibly, but tough noogies. They'd have a bye and the other lower-seed playoff teams would have to destroy each other before reaching the top seeded teams. Unless you're against more football. Which in turn would make you a communist. So, I ask you.

Why do you hate America?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Change the rule, because you know, Sub .500 teams win the division All The Time....

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Possibly, but tough noogies. They'd have a bye and the other lower-seed playoff teams would have to destroy each other before reaching the top seeded teams. Unless you're against more football. Which in turn would make you a communist. So, I ask you.

Why do you hate America?

My point is is that you'll still have bad teams in the playoffs. No problem will actually get solved. Just assign home field advantage by record if we absolutely must change something.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
The NFL only cares about money. Division winners are only guaranteed a playoff spot because the NFL believes that having 2 teams from each region of the country boosts TV ratings. For example, if they allow a 6 win Falcon team into the playoffs, not only will all Falcon fans be interested in their playoff game, but all Panthers, Bucs, and Saints fans will be as well.

Imagine if no team from the NFC West made it into the playoffs. How many of us would lose interest, as we'd have no rival to actively root against?

The NFL will allow the NFC South winner into the playoffs because missing an entire region of the country's viewership in the playoffs would cost too much money.

Now here's a silly tinfoil hat theory: the NFL will then have an incentive to ensure that the NFC South winner wins their playoff game and advances to the 2nd round. If a 6-10 team gets to host a playoff game, and then gets blown out on national television, there will be considerable pressure to adjust the playoff format. They may have done something similar in 2010 when the 7-9 Seahawks beat the Saints, and possibly even in 2004 when the 8-8 Rams beat the Seahawks.

Disclaimer: I don't actually believe the above theory, but its fun to throw out there.