Would Patriots, Jimmy Garoppolo consider 1-year, $24 million extension?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh you mean after the season? I thought in this never in a million years scenario they would trade him this year. After the season is even worse. Would a team really trade for a 41 year old QB that will cost 20 mill per season? That's even less likely...

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Brady will get old in a minute, just cant stop the age curve. Look at Manning and Favre. One minute they were on top of their game then seemingly over night, they were done.
The one thing I will say that could work in Brady's favor compared to Manning and Favre is style of play. Manning and Favre were both slingers, once Manning's long ball was gone he looked average at best, the Pat's offense doesn't run on deep throws. Also both Manning and Favre threw way more passes in their career than Brady has at this point, Brady has thrown 8,224, Manning 9,380, and Favre 10,169. I do expect Brady's overall attempts to decrease this season and the following seasons. The Pats have quick pass catchers who can get yards, and a comity of RB's to run the ball all season long.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one thing I will say that could work in Brady's favor compared to Manning and Favre is style of play. Manning and Favre were both slingers, once Manning's long ball was gone he looked average at best, the Pat's offense doesn't run on deep throws. Also both Manning and Favre threw way more passes in their career than Brady has at this point, Brady has thrown 8,224, Manning 9,380, and Favre 10,169. I do expect Brady's overall attempts to decrease this season and the following seasons. The Pats have quick pass catchers who can get yards, and a comity of RB's to run the ball all season long.
Manning was done at 38 and got sacked a heck of a lot less than Brady. Favre is just another breed.
But still father time rears his ugly head and its over. These guys are already so far past what is usual for a QB, mid 30's.
Like a light bulb that gets brightest before it burns out though Manning and Favre had career years and then poof, done.
It's all silly though, because it would never in a million years happen

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Manning was done at 38 and got sacked a heck of a lot less than Brady. Favre is just another breed.
But still father time rears his ugly head and its over. These guys are already so far past what is usual for a QB, mid 30's.
Like a light bulb that gets brightest before it burns out though Manning and Favre had career years and then poof, done.
It's all silly though, because it would never in a million years happen
Yeah, Brady's time will come, it's inevitable. I'm just throwing out the possibility of it not being as drastic as the other two guys mentioned. I remember watching the playoff game between the broncos and colts, and thought that Manning was finished. He looked old and frail his last two seasons.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Yeah, Brady's time will come, it's inevitable. I'm just throwing out the possibility of it not being as drastic as the other two guys mentioned. I remember watching the playoff game between the broncos and colts, and thought that Manning was finished. He looked old and frail his last two seasons.
Manning was downright awful in 2015. Really, that should be the poster season for a fantastic defense winning despite a mediocre QB instead of the 2000 Ravens or the 2003 Bucs.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Manning never had a cannon of an arm - he was more in the Brady/Warner/Montana style of being deadly accurate in short- and mid-range passes, with the occasional deep bomb. A lot of his longer passes were dependent on guys like Harrison, Wayne, Thomas and Decker to break tackles and rack up the YAC.

2016's Brady had more long shots than I've seen from him since he had Randy Moss going after jump balls. A lot of it is dependent on having a deep threat, which the Patriots have rarely had - there was Moss, and then there was years of guys like Welker/Edelman/Gronk attacking the middle of the field, and now there's crazy-eyes Hogan (and Cooks for 2017).

I will say that all of New England is waiting for the other shoe to drop with Brady, wondering if Belichick will dump him before he becomes a burden. It's useful to note that, other than 2008 when he tore his ACL, Brady has never missed a game due to injury.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
...the Patriots do have $20 million in cap space, so Brady's dead money would be manageable. As would a franchise tag on Garoppolo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isnt there 28 million in dead money for 2017 and 14 mill in 2018?
Garapolo costs peanuts this year. Again, you're the cap guy not me, but the way it looks they could be on the hook for about the same money with both guys on the roster as the would be with just Jimmy G.

Ram65

Legend

View: https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/status/864826656845963265

Pats followed rules story.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lleged-concussion-says-team-follows-nfl-rules

The wife could be putting pressure on Brady to retire soon. If Brady wins another SB this year he would be the first to do it at 40 years of age or more. I believe Brady stated he wants to play till 45 or so. An injury could also end his career. He does have a book coming out about his exercise routine to stay flexible.

If I were Jimmy G I would wait and become a free agent. If I were the Patsies I would give a reasonable extension. I'll throw out 10-12 for two years. Hard to say. I'm not convinced he is going to be an above average NFL QB but, I good team that needs a QB and does pick early next year might be better off making him an offer.

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

View: https://twitter.com/CBSThisMorning/status/864826656845963265

Pats followed rules story.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lleged-concussion-says-team-follows-nfl-rules

The wife could be putting pressure on Brady to retire soon. If Brady wins another SB this year he would be the first to do it at 40 years of age or more. I believe Brady stated he wants to play till 45 or so. An injury could also end his career. He does have a book coming out about his exercise routine to stay flexible.

If I were Jimmy G I would wait and become a free agent. If I were the Patsies I would give a reasonable extension. TI'll throw out 10-12 for two years. Hard to say. I'm not convinced he is going to be an above average NFL QB but, I good team that needs a QB and does pick early next year might be better off making him an offer.

Garoppolo wouldn't sign for 10-12mm/year. There's enough teams that need a starter, and he'd at least command Bradford/Tannehill/Osweiler money on the open market.

I'd like to see Brady go out after the 2017 season, on his own decision (pressed by his wife, sure), and Garoppolo given a multi-year deal to take over. I did enjoy watching him play in two games last year - I've liked him since his draft season, and he did look like a damned good passer until he broke.

Ram65

Legend
Garoppolo wouldn't sign for 10-12mm/year. There's enough teams that need a starter, and he'd at least command Bradford/Tannehill/Osweiler money on the open market.

I'd like to see Brady go out after the 2017 season, on his own decision (pressed by his wife, sure), and Garoppolo given a multi-year deal to take over. I did enjoy watching him play in two games last year - I've liked him since his draft season, and he did look like a damned good passer until he broke.

If I were Jimmy G I would wait and become a free agent. If I were the Patsies I would give a reasonable extension. I'll throw out 10-12 for two years.

I agree and stated he should become a free agent. If however he wants to stay with New England to see if Brady retires in the next year or two he could take an extension now. He is only making almost 900k this year. He could get more security with the 10-12 extension money. It was just a number I throw out. You never know what will happen this year. He could have to fill in for Brady and could get hurt and not get anything.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I agree and stated he should become a free agent. If however he wants to stay with New England to see if Brady retires in the next year or two he could take an extension now. He is only making almost 900k this year. He could get more security with the 10-12 extension money. It was just a number I throw out. You never know what will happen this year. He could have to fill in for Brady and could get hurt and not get anything.
I gotcha. He might also see how they've played hardball with Butler and how Butler's lost out on a shitload of money by not taking an extension before 2016.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hence why I never get involved in these cap discussions. Better off leaving that to the experts like @flv ....