Would Patriots, Jimmy Garoppolo consider 1-year, $24 million extension?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...aroppolo-consider-1-year-24-million-extension

Would Patriots, Jimmy Garoppolo consider 1-year, $24 million extension?

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- While excitement and anticipation for the New England Patriots' 2017 season is as high as it has been in the region in recent memory, some looking to the future have asked the question, “With the Patriots not trading Jimmy Garoppolo, what happens with him after the year?”

Last week, Patriots Hall of Famer Willie McGinest touched on the possibility the club would put the franchise tag on Garoppolo, buying them another year with a top backup quarterback as they assess Tom Brady's ability to continue playing at a high level entering his 40s.

That would be an outside-the-box move, as teams don’t use the franchise tag -- projected to be around $24 million for quarterbacks next year -- on backups.

McGinest, now an NFL Network analyst, pointed out how anyone who has watched the Patriots operate shouldn't rule it out.

“Well, if you’re talking about things that never really happen that seem to happen in New England; yes, it’s a possibility,” he said during an appearance on “NFL No Huddle” with hosts Kordell Stewart and Brian Weber. “I’m not sure how long he is going to be in New England. His deal is coming up [after the 2017 season]. There’s a lot of quarterbacks that reached that point and they leave.”
The Patriots had a similar situation in the 2009 offseason when they placed the franchise tag on backup quarterback Matt Cassel and then traded him to the Kansas City Chiefs.

But if the Patriots placed the franchise tag on Garoppolo with the intention of keeping him because they view him as a potential franchise quarterback, that would run counter to their past approach of not devoting too much salary-cap space to one position. Instead, the team generally prefers to spread the wealth, which allows them to build a stronger middle class over all areas of the roster.

One possible solution to avoid that: Offer Garoppolo, right now, a one-year extension through 2018 worth $24 million (a figure reached because it is projected to be close to the franchise tag).

By doing it now, the club could spread the cap hit over 2017 and 2018, making it much more tenable from a cap-management perspective. The Patriots currently have about $19 million in cap space.

It is unknown if the Patriots would be willing to do that, or if they’ve even discussed it with Garoppolo. But it could potentially be a smart (albeit unconventional) move as the club navigates keeping an asset while managing the unknown of how much longer Brady -- who turns 40 on Aug. 3 -- will play at a high level. It would also open up the use of the franchise tag for the team on a different player.

Then, of course, there’s this question: Would Garoppolo, who shares the same agent as Brady, even be open to signing such a hypothetical extension?

The benefit to him would be to gain financial security one year early. But in doing so, he also could be putting off his chance to be a starter for at least one more year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This strikes me as absurd.

I'm not even sure Garapolo is good enough to be a starter. Then again, I haven't watched him much.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I was Garappolo, I wouldn't want this. I'd push for Free Agency and try to be a number #1 QB away from Brady's shadow. It would surprise me if Bellicheat would go against his philosophy that anyone is replaceable...especially a back up QB.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Can you imagine getting paid $24 million to be a backup QB for one year?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Just another example of the extreme value of a quality QB in the NFL.

The price can almost never be too high... because the value means that much.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why not sign him to a cap friendly 2 year extension that would offer security and tradeable

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
One of two things will happen in my opinion:

1 - Brady retires after this season, the Patriots use the franchise tag as leverage to negotiate a long term deal making Jimmy the face of the team going forward, or...

2 - Brady plays well and insists on continuing, and the Patriots tag and trade Jimmy with the plan to make Brissett the quarterback of the future du jour

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

I'm not even sure Garapolo is good enough to be a starter. Then again, I haven't watched him much.
Then again, the Patriots can't be so stupid that they don't have a good back-up plan if there 40 year old QB goes down!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
One thing will happen in my opinion

The starting QB will hurt his hip getting tackled on the sideline and the backup will be the new face of the franchise. Sounds about right.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

He played well to start the season, beat the cards in AZ, looked real good against Miami. Teams had offered a first for him before the draft.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there's a better chance that the Rams go undefeated next year than there is a chance the Patriots trade Brady

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't know if that's true. Brady's cap hit must be huge if traded

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Jimmy G could just as easily be Cassel part deux as he could be a franchise QB. He played very well in a couple games last year before getting injured, but teams have film on him now. No way Darth Hoodie pays him that kinda scratch to hold a clipboard. Darth Hoodie wants to prove he can make his offense run with just about anyone.... And he probably can.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

I think you haven't watched him enough because there hasn't been much to watch...Pretty small sample size, really...Personally, I couldn't justify that kind of money in this scenario...

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Belichick giving a backup QB $24 million is like Fisher bring in a competent offensive coordinator. It will just never happen.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Patriots are trolling everyone.

You watch: they'll flip Garoppolo for picks, then next year the hot-new-Patriots-backup-who-will-be-a-star-someday will be Jacoby Brissett. And the cycle will continue.

Garoppolo isn't good enough to replace Brady and they know it. When that time comes they'll deal for one who is, or move up to get the guy they want. Belichick doesn't F around.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Patriots are trolling everyone.

You watch: they'll flip Garoppolo for picks, then next year the hot-new-Patriots-backup-who-will-be-a-star-someday will be Jacoby Brissett. And the cycle will continue.

Garoppolo isn't good enough to replace Brady and they know it. When that time comes they'll deal for one who is, or move up to get the guy they want. Belichick doesn't F around.
I don't know, they could have flipped him this year when several teams needed QB and the draft wasn't particularly strong for QB and gotten a good return. I don't see how his trade value does anything more than weaken by waiting.

Brady will get old in a minute, just cant stop the age curve. Look at Manning and Favre. One minute they were on top of their game then seemingly over night, they were done. Of course they could get lucky like the Eagles last year and have a "playoff" caliber team lose their QB, make a big trade and then I'm wrong on all counts. Lol