With the first 2014 NFL Mock Draft, Memento selects...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
(Edit: Fuck the 10,000 character limit and the five media limit! Seriously, how the fuck am I supposed to do an in-depth mock draft if I don't have shit to work with?!)

Well, well, well, what do we have here? Another mock draft? More trades? Maybe a bit of future predictions? Well, of course! It wouldn't be a Memento mock draft if there wasn't! So, let us get started with the trades, shall we?

TRADES

#2 overall pick to Cleveland Browns for #4, #26, and #35 (second round) overall picks.

#4 and #141 (fifth round) overall picks to Atlanta Falcons for #6, #37 (second round), and #68 (third round) overall picks.

You may be confused as to how this could possibly work out. However, there is a scenario where this could happen. Cleveland absolutely adores Johnny Manziel. Every single report coming out of Cleveland proves that. And after the RG3 debacle where they were left with Brandon Weeden as their quarterback, they'll want to secure a true franchise quarterback, someone who will draw fans back to the stadium, someone who will bring excitement to the team. Who better for such a task than Johnny Football?

As for the Atlanta trade, owner Arthur Blank was adamant about his team getting a pass-rusher. In the current scenario, Houston takes Teddy Bridgewater with the first overall pick, the Browns take Manziel second overall, and the Jaguars select Blake Bortles with the third overall pick. Now, Atlanta has a prior history with us, and they could be willing to trade a good portion of their draft to select a player that they truly love, much like they did with Julio Jones in 2011. So, we make a trade that is fair to both sides. Atlanta gets to select the best defensive prospect since Julius Peppers (i.e., Jadeveon Clowney), while we slide down to the number six overall pick and pick up a second and third in the process. Oakland lands their coveted receiver in Sammy Watkins, while we have a choice to make with the sixth overall pick...

DRAFT

#6 overall: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M.

img23974855.jpg

Player Comparison: A rich man's Jordan Gross.

#13 overall: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State.

SPORTS_FSU-FLORIDA_10_OS.jpg

Player Comparison: Alshon Jeffery.

#26 overall: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota.

130820142533-ra-shede-hageman-single-image-cut.jpg

Player Comparison: J.J. Watt.

#35 overall: David Yankey, OG, Stanford.

DavidYankey.jpg

Player Comparison: Rodger Saffold.

#37 overall: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA.

1270469.jpg

Player Comparison: Jahri Evans.

#44 overall: Deone Bucannon, FS, Washington State.

Deone%2BBucannon%2BWashington%2BState%2Bv%2BAuburn%2BBtxHuXBBv6Kl.jpg

Player Comparison: Eric Berry.

#68 overall: C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa.

fiedo.jpg

Player Comparison: A poor man's Rob Gronkowski.

#75 overall: E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri.

ncf_g_ejgaines_ms_300x200.jpg

Player Comparison: Antoine Winfield.

#106 overall: Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming.

Brett-Smith.jpg

Player Comparison: Alex Smith.

#172 overall: Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech.

131009092655-antone-exum-top1-single-image-cut.jpg

Player Comparison: Brandon Browner.

#203 overall: Henry Josey, RB, Missouri.

Henry-Josey-NFL-Draft.jpg

Player Comparison: Reggie Bush.

KEY UDFA SIGNINGS

Matt Hall, OT, Belhaven.

hall.jpg

Player Comparison: Demar Dotson.

Trai Turner, OG, LSU.

0ap2000000312772.jpg

Player Comparison: A poor man's Kevin Zeitler.

Kenny Anunike, DE, Duke.

com_120730_Adelson_Anunike_120730.jpg

Player Comparison: Derrick Morgan.

Bruce Gaston, DT, Purdue.

Bruce-Gaston-Purdue-Boilermakers-copy.jpg

Player Comparison: Jermelle Cudjo.

Boseko Lokombo, OLB, Oregon.

9025762-large.jpg

Player Comparison: Zaviar Gooden.

Comments, questions, critiques...all are welcome. Just tell me what you think.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Overall I like it quite a bit. But for me at least, I think I would take Robinson over Matthews and I think that, although I really like the player, 13 is too high for Benjamin. I may have gone with D. Dennard there. Finally, I think I would have taken A. Donald over Hageman.

Still, overall I think it's a nice job and it looks as if you put quite a bit of time / work into this. Nice job!

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Overall I like it quite a bit. But for me at least, I think I would take Robinson over Matthews and I think that, although I really like the player, 13 is too high for Benjamin. I may have gone with D. Dennard there. Finally, I think I would have taken A. Donald over Hageman.

Still, overall I think it's a nice job and it looks as if you put quite a bit of time / work into this. Nice job!

We have our different takes on players. I like Dennard and Donald as well. Not a fan of Robinson, as I don't believe that he best fits as a blindside protector. He'd be an All-Pro at right tackle and even better as a right guard, but there's no way I'd select a right tackle or guard with the sixth overall pick, especially not when Yankey and Su'a-Filo are on the board later on. I believe that Matthews, while having less potential than Robinson, is also the safest pick in this draft, much like Joe Thomas was in 2007.

I believe that Donald goes before #26. Hageman, with his inconsistency and character issues, will slip to that pick, in spite of his athleticism and potential. But the Rams have taken chances on players with flaws like that in the first round because of potential (Michael Brockers with the former, Alec Ogletree with the latter).

Also, while Dennard may or may not be at #13, Benjamin most certainly will not drop to #26. I believe that if a guy with that much potential is there, you take him with the highest pick. Benjamin has the most potential out of any of the wideouts; one scout compared him to a cross between Megatron and Jeffery. Whether the scout's opinion is credible is uncertain, but I personally think that Benjamin does not make it out of the top twenty picks. So why not grab him when we can? It worked out with Chris Johnson and Michael Roos, right?

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to comment on my mock draft. I truly appreciate it.

Last edited:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Point taken. You obviously have put quite a bit of time and effort in this and I really like Matthews and agree he is probably the safest pick in the draft. I guess I have fallen a bit for Robinson's size and brute like strength. Also in the few games I saw Benjamin play he had me thinking "I'd love to see him on the Rams".

Can't wait until the draft is actually here!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd be very happy with this draft at this point. Sorry about what was lost. I have to do more scouting before I can concur about Robinson vs. Matthews. I agree that Matthews is more pass pro ready today, but i need to see more of Robinson's skills/feet, to see if he could be a LT in the future, and he might have awesome versatility. I need to do some more work on Matthews also. I wasn't as high on Joekel last year as most, I thought he was too soft. I expect Long to be back, and I expect us to make a serious run at Saffold. IMO, Barksdale improved exponentially from what we have seen in the past, he may deserve another look.

Love your Guards, and if Saffold isn't signed, you have potential, but you also have a couple really smart, ready to play football players in David Yankey, and Xavier Su'a-Filo, I am a Pac 12, UCLA guy, so I am very familiar with these players. They are versatile too.

I appreciate your hard work on this one.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I think the secondary will suck if we dont draft a
CB high.

I like a benjamin from fsu but that is a huge reach at 13. He is really raw and should still be available in the 20's

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think the secondary will suck if we dont draft a
CB high.

I like a benjamin from fsu but that is a huge reach at 13. He is really raw and should still be available in the 20's

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to comment on my mock draft. I truly do appreciate it.

All the same, I look at things differently. While I would not be opposed to drafting a cornerback high, I feel that there is more depth at cornerback than other positions like defensive tackle (Louis Nix III doesn't fit our system, and Hageman or Donald would be too good to pass up.), wide receiver (After Watkins, Evans, and Benjamin, there's a real drop-off at wide receiver talent.), and the offensive line (Matthews is the only left tackle I want, and Yankey and Su'a-Filo are the only guards that I feel we could plug-and-play from the first day onward - and before you ask, I hate Cyril Richardson as a prospect.) Safety is another need, but the only one worth taking in the first is Pryor, and even he has flaws. So I decided to go with a safety who has a ton of potential, but needs to refine a few things (Bucannon).

I understand wanting to take a cornerback high, but E.J. Gaines and Antone Exum are very good prospects. Gaines, despite being a third round choice, was arguably the best cornerback in the SEC this year, as he neutralized Mike Evans almost completely (limited him to two catches for fourteen yards). Last year, Exum was matched up against Sammy Watkins and DeAndre Hopkins (Texans first round pick) and did a fantastic job against them (no touchdowns allowed by Exum, the tape showed numerous coverage sacks, and he made a touchdown-saving tackle on Tahj Boyd by stripping the ball away at the one yard line, where his teammate recovered it for a touchback.) Exum, in my eyes, is a second round talent whose only reason for falling to the sixth is durability concerns.

As for Benjamin, I explained my reasoning to BigRamFan. Some wide receiver-needy team is going to fall in love with his potential and take him within the top twenty picks. I'd rather it be us, as I don't wish to jeopardize our chances of getting him. And I don't believe that he's nearly as raw as you think he is. He's light-years ahead of where Quick was when he first came out; that's why you won't find Benjamin anywhere outside of the first round - and he's still rising.

I hope that my explanation to you clears things up about why I made the picks I did; I would have included it in the analysis, but for the character limit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't compare Kelvin Benjamin at all to Alshon Jeffery. Alshon was known for his ridiculous hands. He might have dropped 3 passes in his career at SC. Kelvin Benjamin has a nasty habit of dropping passes to the tune of a drop rate near 10%. I'm also not so sold that the Jaguars wouldn't opt to trade back instead if Atlanta were offering a trade of that magnitude...or that the Jaguars wouldn't just take Clowney.

Penguin.

Rookie
I loved this mock draft. No one knows about Ej Gaines and it is ridiculous. I just watched some tape on the QB you selected and he will be a good back-up. The guards are good, although I still like Robinson more than Matthews. But the WR pick was a little off for me.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I wouldn't compare Kelvin Benjamin at all to Alshon Jeffery. Alshon was known for his ridiculous hands. He might have dropped 3 passes in his career at SC. Kelvin Benjamin has a nasty habit of dropping passes to the tune of a drop rate near 10%. I'm also not so sold that the Jaguars wouldn't opt to trade back instead if Atlanta were offering a trade of that magnitude...or that the Jaguars wouldn't just take Clowney.

Firstly, I appreciate your thoughts on my mock. I have a lot of respect for your opinions when it comes to the drafting process.

I see what you mean with the Benjamin/Jeffery comparison. I think that Benjamin needs to be more consistent in catching the easier passes. However, that's not why I compare him to Jeffery. Benjamin, like Jeffery, is a wide receiver who is a tall, lengthy redzone target who is not endowed with spectacular speed. And while Benjamin does drop the easy passes sometimes, he will almost always make the highlight reel with circus catches, much like Jeffery did last year. Perhaps I should have compared Benjamin to someone like Brandon Marshall instead? Still, I can't get that opinion of one scout out of my head: a Megatron/Jeffery combination. Not with the former's freakish speed, not with the latter's glue-like hands, but enough of their qualities to make a comparison between them.

As for the Jaguars trading back, I don't think that happens. They're clearly building around their offense; four out of their last five first round picks have all been for their O (Eugene Monroe, Blaine Gabbert, Justin Blackmon, and Luke Joeckel, with Tyson Alualu being the only defensive first round pick.) Monroe was traded for a pitiful offer of late round picks from the Ravens, while Gabbert has been an enormous bust. You simply don't win in this league without a quarterback, and there's a top ranked quarterback - from Florida, no less - who will not escape the top five picks (Blake Bortles). If Jacksonville trades back with Atlanta, then some team - whether it's the Oakland Raiders at #5 or a quarterback-needy team that will likely trade up to the Rams' spot at #4 (in this scenario, of course) - will nab Bortles, and Jacksonville will be screwed...again. Their fans do not want another year of Gabbert and Henne, and I don't blame them. And also, their main pieces are on the offense. Blackmon, Cecil Shorts III, the running back who will replace MJD (because I don't see him wanting to come back), Marcedes Lewis, Luke Joeckel, Ace Sanders, all of them are players that have shown potential. But the one thing that Jacksonville does not have is a quarterback who can legitimately help their team - and when there's a homegrown quarterback sitting right there, I don't see any way they pass on him, even if it is for Clowney. And they most certainly will not trade down when they already have a ton of picks.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Firstly, I appreciate your thoughts on my mock. I have a lot of respect for your opinions when it comes to the drafting process.

I see what you mean with the Benjamin/Jeffery comparison. I think that Benjamin needs to be more consistent in catching the easier passes. However, that's not why I compare him to Jeffery. Benjamin, like Jeffery, is a wide receiver who is a tall, lengthy redzone target who is not endowed with spectacular speed. And while Benjamin does drop the easy passes sometimes, he will almost always make the highlight reel with circus catches, much like Jeffery did last year. Perhaps I should have compared Benjamin to someone like Brandon Marshall instead? Still, I can't get that opinion of one scout out of my head: a Megatron/Jeffery combination. Not with the former's freakish speed, not with the latter's glue-like hands, but enough of their qualities to make a comparison between them.

Thanks. I don't know who I'd compare him to. He's a freakish athlete and I have him at #3 on my WR rankings. But the guy scares the hell out of me. In multiple ways. He scares the hell out of me in the idea that we'll draft him and in the idea that we'll pass and a division rival will draft him. Benjamin has such a sky high ceiling but he's also such a risky pick. At the moment, I don't want to be the guy to make that pick...but I also hope for the life of me that he ends up on an AFC team because he could be a true monster. That's what makes it so difficult. That's why the draft is such a crapshoot. Do you risk taking Benjamin and do you risk passing on him?

I have to risk passing on him now because I don't have all the information(coaches' reports, background information on character, practice reports, etc.) at my disposal. Plus, this is a good WR draft and I'd feel good about coming away with a WR like Odell Beckham Jr. or Eric Thomas later in the draft or a Mike Evans at that pick.

Flash

UDFA
(Edit: Fuck the 10,000 character limit and the five media limit! Seriously, how the fuck am I supposed to do an in-depth mock draft if I don't have shit to work with?!)

Well, well, well, what do we have here? Another mock draft? More trades? Maybe a bit of future predictions? Well, of course! It wouldn't be a Memento mock draft if there wasn't! So, let us get started with the trades, shall we?

TRADES

#2 overall pick to Cleveland Browns for #4, #26, and #35 (second round) overall picks.

#4 and #141 (fifth round) overall picks to Atlanta Falcons for #6, #37 (second round), and #68 (third round) overall picks.

You may be confused as to how this could possibly work out. However, there is a scenario where this could happen. Cleveland absolutely adores Johnny Manziel. Every single report coming out of Cleveland proves that. And after the RG3 debacle where they were left with Brandon Weeden as their quarterback, they'll want to secure a true franchise quarterback, someone who will draw fans back to the stadium, someone who will bring excitement to the team. Who better for such a task than Johnny Football?

As for the Atlanta trade, owner Arthur Blank was adamant about his team getting a pass-rusher. In the current scenario, Houston takes Teddy Bridgewater with the first overall pick, the Browns take Manziel second overall, and the Jaguars select Blake Bortles with the third overall pick. Now, Atlanta has a prior history with us, and they could be willing to trade a good portion of their draft to select a player that they truly love, much like they did with Julio Jones in 2011. So, we make a trade that is fair to both sides. Atlanta gets to select the best defensive prospect since Julius Peppers (i.e., Jadeveon Clowney), while we slide down to the number six overall pick and pick up a second and third in the process. Oakland lands their coveted receiver in Sammy Watkins, while we have a choice to make with the sixth overall pick...

DRAFT

#6 overall: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M.

Player Comparison: A rich man's Jordan Gross.

#13 overall: Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State.

Player Comparison: Alshon Jeffery.

#26 overall: Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota.

Player Comparison: J.J. Watt.

#35 overall: David Yankey, OG, Stanford.

Player Comparison: Rodger Saffold.

#37 overall: Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA.

Player Comparison: Jahri Evans.

#44 overall: Deone Bucannon, FS, Washington State.

Player Comparison: Eric Berry.

#68 overall: C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa.

Player Comparison: A poor man's Rob Gronkowski.

#75 overall: E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri.

Player Comparison: Antoine Winfield.

#106 overall: Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming.

Player Comparison: Alex Smith.

#172 overall: Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech.

Player Comparison: Brandon Browner.

#203 overall: Henry Josey, RB, Missouri.

Player Comparison: Reggie Bush.

KEY UDFA SIGNINGS

Matt Hall, OT, Belhaven.

Player Comparison: Demar Dotson.

Trai Turner, OG, LSU.

Player Comparison: A poor man's Kevin Zeitler.

Kenny Anunike, DE, Duke.

Player Comparison: Derrick Morgan.

Bruce Gaston, DT, Purdue.

Player Comparison: Jermelle Cudjo.

Boseko Lokombo, OLB, Oregon.

Player Comparison: Zaviar Gooden.

Comments, questions, critiques...all are welcome. Just tell me what you think.
Cleveland fan here and just have a few issues with your mock. First, I think you need to worry about putting fans in your stands and not Cleveland's. St Louis had the 31st ranked attendance in 2013 (just above Oakland) and only filled the Stadium to 87% capacity for 8 home games (10% below Cleveland). Maybe you should think about drafting Manziel based on your theory?

Secondly, Griffin wasn't a debacle and not getting him was the best thing that happened to this franchise. Despite what you think Holmgren was zeroed in on Weeden and only made it look as though they made a qualifying offer to appease the fans of Cleveland.

Third, there is no way on earth that Cleveland is trading up for Manziel. It makes absolutely no sense to anyone and they will sit at 4 and have their choice of Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Clowney, Mathews, Watkins and either decide to take a guy or trade down with one of them sitting on the board that someone covets. You are not being realistic to think that this front office would trade 4, 26, and 35 to move up 2 spots. The same front office that snookered Indianapolis out of a first for Trent Richardson.

Not here to talk smack but I have seen the most unrealistic mock drafts from Ram fans. I think maybe the Griffin trade made you think in weird ways but that was Dan Snyder and that guy is a moron. My suggestion would be for you guys to keep your pick and select the OT so you can keep Bradford healthy for a full year to see if him and that inflated contract is worth it. Either that or draft a QB and move on from him.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Cleveland fan here and just have a few issues with your mock. First, I think you need to worry about putting fans in your stands and not Cleveland's. St Louis had the 31st ranked attendance in 2013 (just above Oakland) and only filled the Stadium to 87% capacity for 8 home games (10% below Cleveland). Maybe you should think about drafting Manziel based on your theory?

Secondly, Griffin wasn't a debacle and not getting him was the best thing that happened to this franchise. Despite what you think Holmgren was zeroed in on Weeden and only made it look as though they made a qualifying offer to appease the fans of Cleveland.

Third, there is no way on earth that Cleveland is trading up for Manziel. It makes absolutely no sense to anyone and they will sit at 4 and have their choice of Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Clowney, Mathews, Watkins and either decide to take a guy or trade down with one of them sitting on the board that someone covets. You are not being realistic to think that this front office would trade 4, 26, and 35 to move up 2 spots. The same front office that snookered Indianapolis out of a first for Trent Richardson.

Not here to talk smack but I have seen the most unrealistic mock drafts from Ram fans. I think maybe the Griffin trade made you think in weird ways but that was Dan Snyder and that guy is a moron. My suggestion would be for you guys to keep your pick and select the OT so you can keep Bradford healthy for a full year to see if him and that inflated contract is worth it. Either that or draft a QB and move on from him.

So you're completely satisfied with Brandon Weeden as your quarterback? You're satisfied with your front office trading up one spot for Trent Richardson and trading him away one year later? You're satisfied with yet another top five pick? And since you're a Cleveland fan, you know that your own front office - the same front office that traded up for Richardson, mind you - has been coveting Manziel since before the draft process started, right? And I mean seriously coveting him; they haven't even made it a secret. They have the ammunition to trade up for the quarterback that they want. You know just as well as I do that there is only one real need for Cleveland with the prospects that you suggested: one of the three quarterbacks. They have a number one receiver. They have the best left tackle in the game. Clowney doesn't fit in a 3-4. And it is a damn near guarantee that we're going to trade our number two overall pick, particularly to a team that wants a quarterback. This means that you trade up for a quarterback or you're left out in the cold.

I take offense to you saying that we make the most unrealistic mock drafts. At least I bothered to research your team's needs and what their intentions might be. You did not do the same for us, and not only that, but your first post was inflammatory (regardless of what you might say). If you were truly interested in discussing things with us, you would have introduced yourself first. I must warn you: if you continue like this, there is a possibility that you will be permabanned.

Regardless of what your intentions are, have a pleasant day.

Flash

UDFA
So you're completely satisfied with Brandon Weeden as your quarterback? You're satisfied with your front office trading up one spot for Trent Richardson and trading him away one year later? You're satisfied with yet another top five pick? And since you're a Cleveland fan, you know that your own front office - the same front office that traded up for Richardson, mind you - has been coveting Manziel since before the draft process started, right? And I mean seriously coveting him; they haven't even made it a secret. They have the ammunition to trade up for the quarterback that they want. You know just as well as I do that there is only one real need for Cleveland with the prospects that you suggested: one of the three quarterbacks. They have a number one receiver. They have the best left tackle in the game. Clowney doesn't fit in a 3-4. And it is a damn near guarantee that we're going to trade our number two overall pick, particularly to a team that wants a quarterback. This means that you trade up for a quarterback or you're left out in the cold.

I take offense to you saying that we make the most unrealistic mock drafts. At least I bothered to research your team's needs and what their intentions might be. You did not do the same for us, and not only that, but your first post was inflammatory (regardless of what you might say). If you were truly interested in discussing things with us, you would have introduced yourself first. I must warn you: if you continue like this, there is a possibility that you will be permabanned.

Regardless of what your intentions are, have a pleasant day.
No, Brandon Weeden will be gone after June 1st. My guess is he will end up in Minnesota with Norv Turner to compete with Ponder possibly or end up as a #2 backup somewhere. We haven't had a top 5 pick since 99 (edit* Braylon Edwards was a top 5 I think) I believe so yes I am happy it is top 5 in the deepest draft in a long time with the most underclassmen ever. Especially to possibly grab one of the QBs or maybe Watkins to put on the other side of Gordon and open up the middle of the field for Cameron.

This is not the same front office as the one that drafted Richardson and am very happy they traded Richardson away (especially for a 1). There is some traction to them loving Manziel but I wouldn't read much into that right now. I have heard they like Bortles and McCarron as well and are concerned about how Manziel would hold up. I haven't heard too much about Bridgewater though to be honest. That doesn't mean we will be left out in the cold. Look at the amount of prospects sitting that high. Clowney, Bridgewater, Bortles, Mathews, Watkins, Manziel, Mack, etc. Who else is going to trade up to #2 or #3? Minnesota can but do you think Caldwell wants to give away picks this year and next when he is trying to build a team, especially an aging one like Minnesota? Maybe Oakland? I just don't see teams giving away their drafts and unfortunately as much as you want to trade down you will have to take below market value or just select a guy there. I did research your teams needs. You need OL, WR, and a S.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No offense, Browns fan, but you don't have any more of an idea than the rest of us on what will go down on draft day. Cleveland is one of the possible trade partners for the pick. And it's irrelevant if they have a shot at Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Clowney, Matthews and Watkins if they only judge one of the three or two of the three as franchise caliber QBs. Matthews isn't in play for Cleveland as far as I know. And I doubt they're taking Watkins. Which leaves us with Clowney and the QBs. I doubt they're taking Clowney although it's a possibility. IMO, they're going to zero in on a QB. Who? I don't know. But if they decide they want a specific QB, there's a very realistic chance they may feel compelled to trade up for him.

NFL Front Offices don't think, well, yea...we love Bridgewater but we could still have Manziel or Bortles. They think...we have Bridgewater rated as an elite QB, we want Bridgewater. Lets go get him.

I have no idea if Cleveland will trade up with us. I think Atlanta is a strong possibility but they're one of the teams that are certainly a possibility.

Flash

UDFA
No offense, Browns fan, but you don't have any more of an idea than the rest of us on what will go down on draft day. Cleveland is one of the possible trade partners for the pick. And it's irrelevant if they have a shot at Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Clowney, Matthews and Watkins if they only judge one of the three or two of the three as franchise caliber QBs. Matthews isn't in play for Cleveland as far as I know. And I doubt they're taking Watkins. Which leaves us with Clowney and the QBs. I doubt they're taking Clowney although it's a possibility. IMO, they're going to zero in on a QB. Who? I don't know. But if they decide they want a specific QB, there's a very realistic chance they may feel compelled to trade up for him.

NFL Front Offices don't think, well, yea...we love Bridgewater but we could still have Manziel or Bortles. They think...we have Bridgewater rated as an elite QB, we want Bridgewater. Lets go get him.

I have no idea if Cleveland will trade up with us. I think Atlanta is a strong possibility but they're one of the teams that are certainly a possibility.
No offense taken and I know that anything can happen on draft day. Mathews is not in play for us as we have Thomas and Schwartz a guy who was drafted in the 2nd round in 2012. I would find it hard to believe they would draft Clowney as well and personally am not that enamored with him to begin with. Watching 195 pound RBs breaking his tackles and watching him loaf around the field is a huge red flag for me but somehow this guy maintained his hype in a year where it literally looked like he gave up. Those guys would be great trading chips to move down from 4 especially to a team like Atlanta.

In my current mock draft I have the Rams staying put and selecting Mathews and believe the pick would be between Mathews and Clowney. There is no Luck in this draft but a lot of guys that are pretty close together IMO. Here is my top 6 at this point.

1 - HOU: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
2 - STL: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
3 - JAX: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
4 - CLE: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
5 - OAK: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
6 - ATL: Jadeveon Clowney, DE , South Carolina

jjab360

Legend
No offense taken and I know that anything can happen on draft day. Mathews is not in play for us as we have Thomas and Schwartz a guy who was drafted in the 2nd round in 2012. I would find it hard to believe they would draft Clowney as well and personally am not that enamored with him to begin with. Watching 195 pound RBs breaking his tackles and watching him loaf around the field is a huge red flag for me but somehow this guy maintained his hype in a year where it literally looked like he gave up. Those guys would be great trading chips to move down from 4 especially to a team like Atlanta.

In my current mock draft I have the Rams staying put and selecting Mathews and believe the pick would be between Mathews and Clowney. There is no Luck in this draft but a lot of guys that are pretty close together IMO. Here is my top 6 at this point.

1 - HOU: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
2 - STL: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
3 - JAX: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
4 - CLE: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
5 - OAK: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
6 - ATL: Jadeveon Clowney, DE , South Carolina
All I have to say is prepare to be shocked. If the Browns don't trade up to 2, then I'm pretty sure there's a number of teams that would trade up ahead of them. All of a sudden Bridgewater, Manziel, and Bortles go 1,2, and 3 and the Browns are... SOL?

Flash

UDFA
All I have to say is prepare to be shocked. If the Browns don't trade up to 2, then I'm pretty sure there's a number of teams that would trade up ahead of them. All of a sudden Bridgewater, Manziel, and Bortles go 1,2, and 3 and the Browns are... SOL?
I won't be shocked but find that scenario highly unlikely. There will be one and maybe two QBs there for the taking. If for some reason they go 1, 2, 3..chances are you guys will be SOL on the player you want and we will go with Hoyer and Carr, Mettenberger, McCarron, Garappolo, etc. and allow them to sit while more than likely dealing the rights to the guy you want away as well and possibly twice depending on how far you trade down.

jjab360

Legend
I won't be shocked but find that scenario highly unlikely. There will be one and maybe two QBs there for the taking. If for some reason they go 1, 2, 3..chances are you guys will be SOL on the player you want and we will go with Hoyer and Carr, Mettenberger, McCarron, Garappolo, etc. and allow them to sit while more than likely dealing the rights to the guy you want away as well and possibly twice depending on how far you trade down.
That's not what I've heard from Browns fans on other boards, but whatever. Also, I'm wondering who you think the guy we want is because there's a pretty large pool of blue chip players this year and they could all be impact players for the Rams, assuming we don't trade down too far.