With Barksdale gone, rookie Havenstein takes over at RT/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
With Barksdale gone, rookie Havenstein takes over at right tackle
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-rookie-havenstein-takes-over-at-right-tackle

SAN FRANCISCO -- The writing was on the wall from the moment the writing on the St. Louis Rams' second-round draft card read "Rob Havenstein, offensive tackle, Wisconsin."

But in case those clues weren't strong enough, what was already obvious became clear on Tuesday: Havenstein is the Rams' right tackle of the future.

That's because Joe Barksdale, the team's incumbent right tackle, agreed to a contract with the San Diego Chargers after a long and arduous free-agent process. It was a journey that once started with hopes of him landing a multiyear deal in excess of $6 million per season and ended with him settling for a one-year "prove it" contract.

From the Rams' perspective, losing Barksdale isn't a surprise but it does remove a reliable piece. He'd proved to be a solid if unspectacular part of the offensive line, starting 29 games over the past two seasons. If nothing else, Barksdale was the one reliable lineman the team knew it could count on lining up in his usual spot every week and not dealing with growing pains or injury issues.

Barksdale also found himself struggling when facing some of the league's better pass-rushers. Kansas City's Justin Houston and Washington's Ryan Kerrigan were among the types to give Barksdale problems in 2014. But for the most part, Barksdale was steady and reliable.

And Barksdale could still be a Ram were it not for an apparent miscalculation by his side on his worth on the free-agent market. Rams coach Jeff Fisher acknowledged at the March owners meetings that Barksdale's initial price was part of the reason he was still available. Fisher also maintained that the Rams still had interest in retaining Barksdale.

That remained the company line for Fisher and general manager Les Snead, even as recently as their post-draft news conference. The reality, though, was that although the Rams probably did maintain some level of interest in keeping Barksdale, they had already moved on. For his part, Barksdale likely had too, as emotions can often play a role when a player finds himself on the market without a deal as long as he did.

In the draft, Fisher and Snead used four draft picks on offensive linemen, including Havenstein, and they immediately went about plugging him in as the likely starter on the right side.

"With big Rob, he is ready to play," Snead said. "He’s a right tackle, started a ton of games – never missed any. They run the ball well up there. All of that translated to the Senior Bowl. He’s just a guy that knows his strengths and weaknesses and how to use them."

Barring a major surprise, Havenstein will get the chance to use them sooner than later. With Barksdale on his way to San Diego, it's Havenstein's time to take over at right tackle. The future is now.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just glad it's over! Didn't want to lose Barksdale, at least not this year, but he and his agent really screwed up.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Why does every single piece Wagoner writes piss me off? Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, if I read him right, Barks (aka the Rams greatest lineman of the Fisher era) is butt hurt cuz the Rams wouldn't pay $6M / year for multiple years, but settles for $1.35M (including incentives) for one year? WTF? I also don't recall all the glowing articles Wagoner wrote about him in the last two years.

So he's on his 3rd team in as many years.

And.... btw, he wasn't worth $1.35M to the Rams, with their much publicized Oline issues?
Something's not right here.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Barksdale's deal with San Diego opens door for Rams rookies
Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...s-opens-door-for-st-louis-rams-rookies-051915

ST. LOUIS -- There was no question heading into the 2015 NFL Draft that the St. Louis Rams needed offensive linemen. And the situation would only be worse if Joe Barksdale didn't return.

Well, it appears he won't -- which means the multitude of linemen they've brought in this offseason, including four in the draft, are looking all the more valuable.

Barksdale, who played right tackle for the Rams last season, has signed a free-agent contract with the San Diego Chargers, according to a report by Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Barksdale's departure leaves the Rams thin on offensive linemen with starting experience. Only three tackles or guards have more than five NFL starts: Rodger Saffold, Greg Robinson and Garrett Reynolds, whom St. Louis signed in free agency just before the draft.

As a result, one or more Rams rookies are increasingly likely to see game action for St. Louis this season. The Rams took Wisconsin tackle Rob Havenstein in the second round, Louisville's Jamon Brown in the third, Iowa's Andrew Donnal in the fourth and Fresno State's Cody Wichmann in the sixth. They also brought in tackle Darrell Williams of South Florida as a rookie free agent.

The Rams like some of the versatility provided by their draft class -- Brown, for example, has worked as both a guard and tackle -- which gives them options as they figure out how to build their line this season sans Barksdale. After using the 10th overall draft pick to select running back Todd Gurley, who is rehabbing his ACL, the Rams must ensure they have a solid front for both their running game and new quarterback Nick Foles, who was acquired in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles this offseason.

FRO

Legend
People need to lower their expectations when it comes to 2015. Our offensive line is extremely raw. From Robinson at LT, to whoever the C is, to the rookie RT and OG. Saffold will be the only polished starter and he gets hurt a lot. While this move will pay off in the future (as long as they drafted well) it could be painful in the early going. Just need to brace ourselves for another slow start. Finally glad we have some top three round picks in our offensive line though. Glad we aren't plugging in scrubs and castoffs to start the year like 2012.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I am a believer in the young guys, but man it would be nice to have Blalock in there to give us SOME experience. Yikes that is young!!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We're gonna be fine, we have Frankenstein.

sgfv996.jpg

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Whomever starts at center can't be worse than the way Wells played for most of the past two seasons, he was a liability. And Davin Joseph was a turnstyle as well. I'll take a few false starts and holding penalties as the young guys learn their positions to the absolute incompetence of their predecessors.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Don't get me wrong, I like Joe, and I wanted us to sign him as a Swing/ Insurance Tackle. But why San Diego? He'll face Justin Houston twice a year now, and that guy made Big Joe look immobilized!!
upload_2015-5-19_15-6-4.jpeg
images

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Don't get me wrong, I like Joe, and I wanted us to sign him as a Swing/ Insurance Tackle. But why San Diego? He'll face Justin Houston twice a year now, and that guy made Big Joe look immobilized!!
View attachment 6357
images

Yeah. The AFC West isn't the easiest division to be an OT: Houston/Hali, Miller/Ware, Mack

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Why does every single piece Wagoner writes pee pee me off? Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, if I read him right, Barks (aka the Rams greatest lineman of the Fisher era) is butt hurt cuz the Rams wouldn't pay $6M / year for multiple years, but settles for $1.35M (including incentives) for one year? WTF? I also don't recall all the glowing articles Wagoner wrote about him in the last two years.

So he's on his 3rd team in as many years.

And.... btw, he wasn't worth $1.35M to the Rams, with their much publicized Oline issues?
Something's not right here.

I Won't miss him at all...He and his agent badly over valued his worth around the league. and now are paying for that..RT is the best option for a plug and play of the new guys, IMO...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
this is a great day in Rams history
our Front office aren't a bunch of idiots
Finally we have what we've all been waiting for - an identity
Bless you Fisher and Snead
i mean here are just a few of the great moves:
Shotty - Gone
Bradford - Gone (traded for draft picks Nick Foles)
Ayers - this is correct move
Fairley - excuse me, one year deal at $5 mil
signing Kendricks
signing Britt
Signing Garrett Reynolds
signing Tim Barnes
Brockers option picked up
Baron's option not picked up
Getting rid of Jake Long
Getting rid of Scott Wells
Getting rid of Davin Joseph
Getting rid of Barksdale
Drafting of Todd Gurley
Drafting young offensive linemen prospects
Drafting you QB for the future
Trading Stacy

I know I'm missing a bunch of other great moves, but this just proves my point
-- This has to be one of the best off seasons in Rams history on paper

youngfrankenstein.jpg

Last edited:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
this is a great day in Rams history
our Front office aren't a bunch of idiots
Finally we have what we've all been waiting for - an identity
Bless you Fisher and Snead
i mean here are just a few of the great moves:
Shotty - Gone
Bradford - Gone (traded for draft picks Nick Foles)
Ayers - this is correct move
Fairley - excuse me, one year deal at $5 mil
signing Kendricks
signing Britt
Signing Garrett Reynolds
signing Tim Barnes
Brockers option picked up
Baron's option not picked up
Getting rid of Jake Long
Getting rid of Scott Wells
Getting rid of Davin Joseph
Getting rid of Barksdale
Drafting of Todd Gurley
Drafting young offensive linemen prospects
Drafting you QB for the future
Trading Stacy

I know I'm missing a bunch of other great moves, but this just proves my point
-- This has to be one of the best off seasons in Rams history on paper

View attachment 6358

In a word - BINGO!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't get the shock...I mean, no way you can bring back a disgruntled employee...No Effin Way...
People need to lower their expectations when it comes to 2015.
So, I should hold off on those Rams SuperBowl L tee-shirts?

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
just don't see why most are against this young OL. there is no way they could be worse than wells and joseph. those two killed us last year. I think joseph actually cost JB some money by playing so bad next to him.

im looking forward to see these young monsters at work I think we will be fine.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
People need to lower their expectations when it comes to 2015.

As a fan base we've been lowering our expectations since 2006 screw that it's time for this team to exceed expectations!