With Barksdale gone, rookie Havenstein takes over at RT/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He'll face Justin Houston twice a year now, and that guy made Big Joe look immobilized!!
View attachment 6357
images

So against Barksdale, Houston will not have a problem.

FRO

Legend
just don't see why most are against this young OL. there is no way they could be worse than wells and joseph. those two killed us last year. I think joseph actually cost JB some money by playing so bad next to him.

im looking forward to see these young monsters at work I think we will be fine.
I don't see anybody against it, but we have to be realistic. It's going to be hard for the entire unit to hit the ground running being as inexperienced as they are. It's just hard to do.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
this line is so fucked... I'm assuming Blallock is off the table too. the potential we have is nice but right now I'm sorry I gotta say we're screwed. I'll be happy if the Oline isn't bottom 10 by end of the season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
this line is so fucked... I'm assuming Blallock is off the table too. the potential we have is nice but right now I'm sorry I gotta say we're screwed. I'll be happy if the Oline isn't bottom 10 by end of the season.

They've been bottom 10. At least this line (assuming the draftees actually ARE talented) should improve significantly as the season goes along.

At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
super.gif

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Hope the competition is based on one thing. Being ready with 5 MEN ready to DOMINATE against the seahags from day one game one and every minute of everyday dedicated to strength,speed,smarts, working as a unit and if subbed during a game then only come back better and stronger. The plan was set early on and it has been followed as close to it could be with a below average but very large group of draftable and undrafted OL.

Too late for what ifs and who we missed. Everyone get in the wheelbarrow. "GOTTA GO TO WORK". We may bring ole' Dicky V. to run practices if you don't wanna work hard. We will carry a very large group as I see it now till we start to see some real seperation from the players and the pretenders. I'd hold nothing back. Don't bring em' along slow. We drafted for smarts and endurance so grab a rope and hang on. Some might even lose some weight as hard as this big group should fight in training. Show and give no quarter. I hope we get penalties for biting fingers off.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
just don't see why most are against this young OL. there is no way they could be worse than wells and joseph. those two killed us last year. I think joseph actually cost JB some money by playing so bad next to him.

im looking forward to see these young monsters at work I think we will be fine.

One reason might be that although these OL "rookies" have been described as "road graders", "refrigerators with legs", etc., they lack pass pro experience and as a result, (could) get the QB killed...sound familiar?

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
These rookies will be practicing against the best D line rotation in the league. I think they will be middle of the pack overall with usual growing pains and penalties. On paper the run blocking should be improved for even Mason, Cunningham and dare I say Pead til Gurley is healthy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Don't be surprised if we only start one rookie. Something tells me Reynolds' time has come and will get to start in the beginning. Heck, Jones may start too and we may not start any rookies. It's a complete crap shoot from the get go so hang on for the ride. It could be ugly or it could be special. Fingers still crossed.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Its gonna take till midseason if we don't get injuries to finally have a group we can get behind. I hope Foles has 9 lives myself. I can hear Fishers coachspeak already. That he did'nt expect more than what we will show. Could get fugly if certain guys go down. Stuff happens.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Panic-3.gif

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the rookies are worse than Davin Joseph, Scott Wells, and Joe Barksdale were last season, then we need a whole new scouting department.

One poster said it best. 'An Ipad with a picture of Maurkice Pouncey on our line would be more affective than Davin Joseph' (I think I got that right).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
"With big Rob, he is ready to play," Snead said. "He’s a right tackle, started a ton of games – never missed any.

The first thing I thought when I read this quote was, with all of the big Olinemen drafted and then Gregg Robinson and Rodger Saffold, why does Haventsein get the nickname BigRob? Theoretically everyone one of them except the Centers could have the word 'Big' in front of their name.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
One reason might be that although these OL "rookies" have been described as "road graders", "refrigerators with legs", etc., they lack pass pro experience and as a result, (could) get the QB killed...sound familiar?

Just run play action ever passing down so they still get to run block...

Memphis Ram

Legend

Or they might be fine.

In 2013, the Chicago Bears scored 445 points (2nd in NFL) learning a new offense and with only one returning OLineman (Roberto Garza). The other starters were a raw rookie in Kyle Long & rookie 4th Rounder Jordan Mills (at RG & RT respectively) along with vet free agent pickups Jermon Bushrod & Matt Slausen (hardly world beaters).

Perhaps, not the same situation, but who knows?

If the run blocking is strong, I believe that the Rams should be fine minus a lot of injuries again. Strong run blocking just sets up the play action game and helps the OLine. Besides, RBs can still chip oncoming pass rushers and TEs can still stay in and block at times.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The first thing I thought when I read this quote was, with all of the big Olinemen drafted and then Gregg Robinson and Rodger Saffold, why does Haventsein get the nickname BigRob? Theoretically everyone one of them except the Centers could have the word 'Big' in front of their name.

Probably because he's 6'8" and guys like Robinson and Saffold are only a measly 6'5".

Havenstein is HUGE.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I'm hoping we can emulate the 2014 Jacksonville Jaguars (only on the OL of course, not the record), OL had a combined 71 starts prior to the start of the season, 62 of those belonging to Zane Beadles, still managed to have an average OL. Ours will have 72 (plus a few more if Barnes starts at C).

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think a very big Part of the Rams problems along the line last year were health-related. Long a 4 time pro bowler was coning off ACL surgery and was clearly not at 100%. The once highly regarded Davin Joseph (a former 2 time pro bowler) never was able to return to form after his knee injury and a serious staff infection while with Tampa in 2012. The aging Wells (another former pro bowler) had a myriad of injuries and also had a serious life threatening infection prior to the 2014 camp.

Saffold played the whole season with a bad shoulder.

In addition developmental youngsters Barrett Jones (Back) and Demetrious Rhaney (knee bone bruise) had their season derailed by injuries, plus Barnes also had a shoulder issue. Heck even G-Rob dealt with some minor ailments.

Now the Rams bring in a six large (for the most part) mean rookies that have proven to be very durable (except Donnal) during their college careers. If they can just stay healthy I think we will se an improvement across the board.

Note: Simplifying the offense (as the fisher has stated they are doing) will also help these young linemen acclimate much quicker.