Wish list for next year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
Forgive me if I'm already looking ahead but, as a Rams fan for the past 40 years (one who's suffered through the losingest team of the 90s and the recent 13 year playoff drought) it's ingrained in my DNA to start looking forward to the draft this time of year. Thankfully, this year I really think we have a chance to make a deep playoff run, provided we get by Seattle tomorrow.

What is on everyone's wish list for this team for next year? For me, I think we need a stud inside linebacker and a shutdown corner. I realize that Ogletree is one of the leaders on the team and is probably one of the leading tacklers, but every game I see him getting driven into the secondary by some offensive lineman or washed to the side when a gaping hole opens up. As a longtime coach, it drives me crazy how he's always lurking around the LOS fiddling with his mouthpiece right before the snap instead of being set in a good linebacker stance ready to knock someone on their ass (yeah, I know, I'm being picky). I'd like to see us get a Ray Lewis/Brian Urlacher type guy who brings it every play. As for the CB position, I really think there's a chance we keep Trumaine. He needs to become more consistent but could turn into one of the best CBs in the league. He's a native Californian who is now with one of the most exciting teams in the league - one that has a legit chance to win a championship in the next few years. Will that be enough to keep him? Maybe. Throw in a good offensive lineman who can learn from our current crew and we'll be solid for a few more years.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
DT/NG Vita Vea round one and CB Isiah Oliver in round three would be good for the draft along with a free agent at CB not breaking the bank.
7799082.jpg

colorado-buffaloes-defensive-back-isaiah-oliver-pumps-up-the-crowd-picture-id630772088

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My Biggest "Wish" for 2018 is I want them to come out with there New Uniform and not wait until they open the New Stadium in 2019!!

Other than that, I would say we need to concentrate on Depth across-the-Board!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My Biggest "Wish" for 2018 is I want them to come out with there New Uniform and not wait until they open the New Stadium in 2019!!

Not sure they can do that Dave, although they did let the NFL know they were going to change uniforms, but IMO, I do believe all of us will have to wait until 2019 at the earliest and it might even be 2020 when the new stadium opens in Inglewood.

…..

Legend
I'm indifferent on Trumaine. He hasnt wow'd me enough to make me fanatical about him, and imo he's already "developed" into what he's ever going to be.

My wish list is exactly as yours is. Stud LBer and highly rated CB.

Despite the fact that I love me some Mark Barron, I'd like to see Ogletree lined up with a bruiser next to him. Both our MLBers get pushed around at the point of attack and both are much better in pursuit. If theres a way to keep them both while inserting a rock solid dude able to stand up the lead blocker, then I hope we find it. I'd love to see a scenario where we have a Jack Reynolds attacking the lead blocker, and a Jim Youngbood coming in to clean up the mess. We cannot do that with our current MLBers.

I'm starting to lean toward Free Agency for our Offensive line. Whitworth's athletisism and movement in the open field makes me think he's good for another year so I'm not thinking theres any rush. Hopefully we can afford his eventual replacement via the open market. Youngsters developing at the LT position havent been good to us. Saffold could step in perhaps, but then half this board would start taking odds on the timing of his next injury. Best case scenario for us in my opinion is to ride next year with the 5 we have this year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dom Easley coming back to solidify the DL. Word is his surgery was successful and he's recoving well and plans to be fully recovered in time for OTA's.

What would the Rams D have like had Easley been on the DL all season?

fearsomefour

Legend
In FA
Dontarius Poe DT
Amini Silatolu G
Todd Davis ILB
This is along with resigning our important FA as well of course.
Could keep Ogletree inside and play Davis outside or play Davis inside and move Ogletree to OLB. I think Davis could provide depth across the board as well.
Donald, Brockers, Poe upfront....enough said.
Silatolu secures the weakest spot on the line and improves inside depth by default.
Draft, a first round CB with a LT in the 3rd or 4th with the rest going to D picks.
If I wish upon a Snead.....make it so.

fearsomefour

Legend
Dom Easley coming back to solidify the DL. Word is his surgery was successful and he's recoving well and plans to be fully recovered in time for OTA's.

Will be interesting. A vet min deal with some kickers I would think.
If Easley is brought back and Walker resigned (shouldn't cost a ton) the depth should be solid. If my ideal situation of signing Poe (not likely) the Rams could be very dynamic upfront.
Donald, Brockers, Poe, Walker, Easley, Smart and a rookie NT....good mix.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who cares about next year. This is the year we've all waited for! Enjoy the moment, boys. I know I am. Disclaimer... I never think about draft picks because chances are we will NOT draft the guy you like, and if they do, the odds are probably 50/50 that he will be a bust. JMHO, carry on.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In FA
Dontarius Poe DT
Amini Silatolu G
Todd Davis ILB
Draft, a first round CB with a LT in the 3rd or 4th with the rest going to D picks.

I like everything about this some concern starting a rookie as your main CB, but if they let Johnson walk and bring back NRC and draft somebody like Joshua Jackson from Iowa or Ken Webster from Ole Miss, it might be a grand plan.

fearsomefour

Legend
Who cares about next year. This is the year we've all waited for! Enjoy the moment, boys. I know I am. Disclaimer... I never think about draft picks because chances are we will NOT draft the guy you like, and if they do, the odds are probably 50/50 that he will be a bust. JMHO, carry on.
This is, for me, part of enjoying this year.
Looking forward with optimism.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like everything about this some concern starting a rookie as your main CB, but if they let Johnson walk and bring back NRC and draft somebody like Joshua Jackson from Iowa or Ken Webster from Ole Miss, it might be a grand plan.
My plan is grand....as in probably a grand delusion....it would include bringing Tru and NRC back and drafting a CB in the first.
This would require signing Tru to a multi year deal that would lower his cap number....from $17M to say $13M (ball parking numbers).

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This would require signing Tru to a multi year deal that would lower his cap number....from $17M to say $13M (ball parking numbers).

Not sure I see that happening, however, Wade Phillips will weight in heavily on this and IMO, if Wade wants Tru back, I think the Rams get it done, but I'm not sure how truly Wade feels moving forward.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
In FA
Dontarius Poe DT
Amini Silatolu G
Todd Davis ILB
This is along with resigning our important FA as well of course.
Could keep Ogletree inside and play Davis outside or play Davis inside and move Ogletree to OLB. I think Davis could provide depth across the board as well.
Donald, Brockers, Poe upfront....enough said.
Silatolu secures the weakest spot on the line and improves inside depth by default.

An intriguing strategy, fearsome. I kinda like it.

A few questions.

How much would Poe cost? Just curious. As opposed to Easley and Walker?

I’m not sure that OG is all that high of a priority. I’m happy with both Saffold and Brown.

I wholeheartedly endorse CB and LOT (Whit’s eventual replacement) as high draft needs.

I’m fine with FA for ILB help. Also, I think Quinn is a goner. Another FA to replace him or do you think Ebu could be the guy?

I, too, see a very heavy emphasis on D this offseason via FA and the draft. Could be as many as 5 new starters on D next year if Webster’s Achilles is slow to heal, a verrrrry real possibility.

Wade’s D in ‘18 might be flat awesome.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

Apparently Easley was doing really well in Wade Phillips defense so it sucks he got hurt. Talent has never been his problem and he can be a starter for us. We need need a CB or two, a linebacker, and another pass rusher.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not sure I see that happening, however, Wade Phillips will weight in heavily on this and IMO, if Wade wants Tru back, I think the Rams get it done, but I'm not sure how truly Wade feels moving forward.
Yep.
I agree.
Just me playing "fantasy, arm chair, best case scenario GM" in my head.

fearsomefour

Legend
An intriguing strategy, fearsome. I kinda like it.

A few questions.

How much would Poe cost? Just curious. As opposed to Easley and Walker?

I’m not sure that OG is all that high of a priority. I’m happy with both Saffold and Brown.

I wholeheartedly endorse CB and LOT (Whit’s eventual replacement) as high draft needs.

I’m fine with FA for ILB help. Also, I think Quinn is a goner. Another FA to replace him or do you think Ebu could be the guy?

I, too, see a very heavy emphasis on D this offseason via FA and the draft. Could be as many as 5 new starters on D next year if Webster’s Achilles is slow to heal, a verrrrry real possibility.

Wade’s D in ‘18 might be flat awesome.
Poe will be expensive. More than Easley and Walker combined I'm sure. $10M? Not sure. But he will be expensive.
With Quinn gone (assuming this happens) Davis is a solid, versatile guy who played in Wades system in Denver.
Longacre/Ogletree/Barron/Davis....or Longacre/Davis/Ogletree/Barron....Ebu/Davis/Barron/Ogletree....a lot of possible combos.
Let's say Ebu puts it together and is an everydown guy next year, the depth across the board is much better with Davis and Longacre.
But, in my mid Davis would be signed to play.
I think he can play inside or outside. So, Tree, Barron and Davis are on the field with the fourth spot to be hashed out between Ebu, Longacre, draft picks....whomever steps up.
That front seven....say Donald/Poe/Brockers....Ebu/Davis/Barron/Ogletree....a lot there for an OC to deal with.
With improved depth as well.
I selected the OG from Carolina because I think he is a sizable upgrade over Brown, who while massively improved, is the weakest spot on the line.
WR, TE, RB, QB.....are any guys going to be brought in via FA for these positions? Not likely. Draft picks? Not by me.
OL is the one place on O where there should be an investment. Not likely the Rams would or should pay what this guy would demand but, that's my short FA wish list.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
won't know until the season finishes out....

But some combo of OL, DT, CB.....need based BPA

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
The rams are very fortunate to be set on offense for at least the next 3 or 4 years as long as they maintain the oline quality. Maybe 2 additions over this period barring any serious injury. So I say load up on d. First 2 or 3 picks get BPA who is either DB, edge rusher or LB. Id like to see Easley return. I think this will be a year when the rams will attract top talent FAs so they can be picky and maybe even poach someone in their prime. Next years roster is gonna be scary amd a favorite to win it all. Not bad for 2 offseasons and one regular season.