Will Goff's Rookie Season Be Statistically Greater Than Or Worse Than Bradford's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Will Goff's Rookie Season Be Statistically Greater Than Or Worse Than Bradford's

• GREATER THAN

Votes: 85 88.5%
  • WORSE THAN

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Not understanding the point
SJ had a pro bowl year in 2009 facing a stacked box and still had 1400 yards and another 300+ receiving
At 27 years old, he was in his prime.
I love Gurley and think he's awesome. But assuming he's just gonna blow those numbers away just doesn't make sense to me
RB is a wash
WR are a wash
OLINE is a wash
Schedule is much tougher for Goff
Fisher is a much better coach than Spags, but his offense is meh

I understand your point. You think defenses were more focused on Jackson that year than they will be on Gurley. I just disagree with that. Gurley also had a Pro Bowl year and if he had played and been healthy all year he probably would have done better than Jackson did in any of his years. Gurley is much more of an explosive threat than Jackson ever was. I think defenses will be every bit as committed to stopping Todd in 2016 as they were with Jackson in 2010.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand your point. You think defenses were more focused on Jackson that year than they will be on Gurley.
Not my point at all.
I think when people are comparing the situation, they are looking at broken down version SJ vs the promise of Gurley
There was no doubt in SJ back then, you could pencil him in for 1200-1400 yards.
Personally, I never was a big fan of him and think Gurley is the cats pajamas. But if we are going to make a fair comparison of Bradford/Goff supporting cast, SJ was going to help Sam as much as Gurley will help Goff

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Bradford had a very good rookie season, one of the best actually. Problem was he blew his wad so to say and never lived up to thenpromise of his rookie campaign.
Manita ( Goff ) hopefully just continues to develop as his career progresses.
I know it's just a poll sorry for the tangent.
Manita beats out delicado

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not understanding the point
SJ had a pro bowl year in 2009 facing a stacked box and still had 1400 yards and another 300+ receiving
At 27 years old, he was in his prime.
I love Gurley and think he's awesome. But assuming he's just gonna blow those numbers away just doesn't make sense to me
RB is a wash
WR are a wash
OLINE is a wash
Schedule is much tougher for Goff
Fisher is a much better coach than Spags, but his offense is meh

I strongly disagree that OL is a wash. Our OL now is a question mark but I have a lot more confidence in them than I had in that 2010 unit. Four out of the five starters on that 2010 OL were out of the NFL by the end of the 2012 season. Three of the five starters were out of the NFL after the 2011 season. And the only guy who lasted past 2012 is Rodger Saffold. He's now an OG. He played LT in 2010.

I also don't think HB is a wash. While we are evaluating in hindsight, we do have that ability. Jackson's game started to fall off in 2010. Gurley's game is just getting started.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

watched nfl live today and they have a segment called over reaction monday. wht happens is they talk for a few seconds about a subject then put up a declaration and the panel guys say if it's an over reaction or not an over reaction.

they put the statement up that goff will be the offensive rookie of the year. all three of the bozos, jeff saturday, merril hodge and jerome bettis, said it was an over reaction without hesitation. their reasons, blah blah blah, ezek, have to play the cardinals and seagulls twice each, blah, blah, blah, some other shit i can't remember or even care about.

man these bozos are gonna be eating their words. or probably will change their stance come mid season, yeah we knew it all along this guy was gonna kill it in the nfl.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

watched nfl live today and they have a segment called over reaction monday. wht happens is they talk for a few seconds about a subject then put up a declaration and the panel guys say if it's an over reaction or not an over reaction.

they put the statement up that goff will be the offensive rookie of the year. all three of the bozos, jeff saturday, merril hodge and jerome bettis, said it was an over reaction without hesitation. their reasons, blah blah blah, ezek, have to play the cardinals and seagulls twice each, blah, blah, blah, some other crap i can't remember or even care about.

man these bozos are gonna be eating their words. or probably will change their stance come mid season, yeah we knew it all along this guy was gonna kill it in the nfl.

Honestly, if I were placing a bet I would go with Zeke for OROY. Simply because he's a good back and he'll be running behind the best line in football. Goff is 2nd on my list though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, if I were placing a bet I would go with Zeke for OROY. Simply because he's a good back and he'll be running behind the best line in football. Goff is 2nd on my list though.

Zeke is the safest bet but there's a strong bias towards QB. If the Rams make the playoffs and Goff puts up solid numbers, he'll win ROY barring Zeke putting up Dickerson like numbers.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I strongly disagree that OL is a wash. Our OL now is a question mark but I have a lot more confidence in them than I had in that 2010 unit. Four out of the five starters on that 2010 OL were out of the NFL by the end of the 2012 season. Three of the five starters were out of the NFL after the 2011 season. And the only guy who lasted past 2012 is Rodger Saffold. He's now an OG. He played LT in 2010.

I also don't think HB is a wash. While we are evaluating in hindsight, we do have that ability. Jackson's game started to fall off in 2010. Gurley's game is just getting started.
This is exactly my point, you're not looking at it as going in to 2010. Saffold was a LT, and we moved a disappointing Smith to RT. Jason Brown wasn't a bust at C yet. There was just as much hope for that line to play well as this year, in fact maybe even higher aspirations. We have a ? mark at every O-line position this year. Every one.
HB, yes SJ started to fall off in 2010, but going in to that season? Nobody was doubting him
Same thing with the WR, Gibson appeared to have been a find in 09, we drafted Gilyard in the 2 round and Amendola showed some flashes in 09. And DX was going to be the next big thing. Again, in hindsight this crew turned out poor but that's not a fair comparison. We are high on all our young OL and WR that haven't even played yet or spent last year on IR
To me, its a wash and when the WR and Oline appear to be better this year than "what Sam had to work with" I think it will be due to Goff's ability to make plays/throws and make everyone look better

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
This is exactly my point, you're not looking at it as going in to 2010. Saffold was a LT, and we moved a disappointing Smith to RT. Jason Brown wasn't a bust at C yet. There was just as much hope for that line to play well as this year, in fact maybe even higher aspirations. We have a ? mark at every O-line position this year. Every one.
HB, yes SJ started to fall off in 2010, but going in to that season? Nobody was doubting him
Same thing with the WR, Gibson appeared to have been a find in 09, we drafted Gilyard in the 2 round and Amendola showed some flashes in 09. And DX was going to be the next big thing. Again, in hindsight this crew turned out poor but that's not a fair comparison. We are high on all our young OL and WR that haven't even played yet or spent last year on IR
To me, its a wash and when the WR and Oline appear to be better this year than "what Sam had to work with" I think it will be due to Goff's ability to make plays/throws and make everyone look better

I still fail to see how any of that matters in the slightest. So you're saying that the pre-2010 expectation didn't equal the result? So what? What matters is what DID happen. And as far as next year is concerned I strongly believe that: 1. Gurley will be better than Jackson was in 2010 (he might be better than SJ was in any year). And 2. The O-line will be better than in 2010, based on rookies gaining experience and a healthier unit. The WR position I will consider a wash.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still fail to see how any of that matters in the slightest. So you're saying that the pre-2010 expectation didn't equal the result? So what? What matters is what DID happen. And as far as next year is concerned I strongly believe that: 1. Gurley will be better than Jackson was in 2010 (he might be better than SJ was in any year). And 2. The O-line will be better than in 2010, based on rookies gaining experience and a healthier unit. The WR position I will consider a wash.
The problem here is that I am responding to the thread topic and you are trying to create an argument over something else.
If we are comparing apples to apples, then we have to compare 2010 expectations to 2016 expectations (Which is my point, and what I am doing).
Its apples to oranges to compare the results of 2010-12 to the expectations of 2016
Of course it requires one to be honest because its not easy to look back at 2010 and admit there was positive vibes regarding SJ, the o-line and the WR core
I don't think Sam had any worse circumstances heading in to 2010 than Goff has other than knowing upfront that Goff has a significantly tougher schedule
And the way Goff plays, I believe his quick release and footwork will make the oline look "better" than they are as well as I believe his ability to throw WR open will make them look "better"

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, we're not going into 2010. We have the benefit of hindsight. Our question mark is in regard to how much our young OLs will improve rather than who will be playing what position. We have every single OL back from last year. It's a group with continuity that had an opportunity to build chemistry and improved over the season.

I can see the argument that WR is a wash.(even with our hindsight) I don't really see the argument that the OL is a wash. And HB isn't a wash if we apply hindsight.

I get your point. That we're going to be overly optimistic at this point. And I think it's a fair point for the WR corp. But we return every single player from our 2015 OL which performed FAR better than the 2009 OL. And we do have the benefit of knowing that SJ's decline started in 2010 while Gurley is nowhere near his decline.