Will Goff's Rookie Season Be Statistically Greater Than Or Worse Than Bradford's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Will Goff's Rookie Season Be Statistically Greater Than Or Worse Than Bradford's

• GREATER THAN

Votes: 85 88.5%
  • WORSE THAN

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Bradford 2010
Bradford62_original.jpg

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Better. Goff has a better team around him and a better coaching staff. He might not throw for 3500+ yards depending on how many attempts Fisher gives him but I think he'll post better efficiency numbers.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm hoping for better but I don't think Goff has anywhere near as good an offensive coordinator as Bradford had his first year... and Pat Shurmer wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Better, no doubt about it.
Like the way you think Tron.The first time Goff and Gurly are on the field at the same
time I will probably lose it.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Like the way you think Tron.The first time Goff and Gurly are on the field at the same
time I will probably lose it.
It's gonna be magic. We are in for a fun and amazing ride my friend!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hoping for better but I don't think Goff has anywhere near as good an offensive coordinator as Bradford had his first year... and Pat Shurmer wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

But he also didn't inherit the 2009 Rams or Steve Spagnuolo. Plus, I don't think that Shurmur was any better of an OC.

rdw

Pro Bowler
1. Goff won't be playing for *clap* *clap* *clap* Spags ultra conservative play not to lose coach.
2. Goff will have more playmakers.
3. Goff will have a better OL in my opinion.
4. Goff will have a young stud of a RB and not an end of career SJ.
5. Goff knows how to play under pressure. Have you seen Sam's college highlights? No wonder he checked down so much.

Just one Rams fans opinions..

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm not sure, I want to say Goff will do better. But, Sam had a fantastic rookie year. Goff will have a better team around him, but the division is better than when Bradford was a rookie (remember the Seahags won with a 7-9 record). They both had great running backs. Both will have unproven WR core and offensive lines (though I think both are better now than they were in Bradford's rookie year). As much as I didn't like Shurmers offense, it did play to Sam's strengths. I just don't know what to expect with our OC.

To me, the biggest difference is the level of competition. Bradford played in a historically bad division. The NFC West now is one of the best in the NFL with some great defenses. I think Goff will end up the better player, but Bradford might have better numbers their respective rookie years.

nighttrain

Legend
going with my ten win theory, Jared tops SB in all categories, better tools and D all around him. When TG rushes for 1500 yards, don't be surprised to see Goff throw for 3500
train

fancents86

Starter
Broke, pretty much summed up what I think as well. I think they have even rookie seasons. Bradford had a worst team around him but our schedule was cake. This schedule is much harder but Goff has a much better team around him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure, I want to say Goff will do better. But, Sam had a fantastic rookie year. Goff will have a better team around him, but the division is better than when Bradford was a rookie (remember the Seahags won with a 7-9 record). They both had great running backs. Both will have unproven WR core and offensive lines (though I think both are better now than they were in Bradford's rookie year). As much as I didn't like Shurmers offense, it did play to Sam's strengths. I just don't know what to expect with our OC.

To me, the biggest difference is the level of competition. Bradford played in a historically bad division. The NFC West now is one of the best in the NFL with some great defenses. I think Goff will end up the better player, but Bradford might have better numbers their respective rookie years.

While this is intelligent, reasoned, and logical analysis, I think you're ignoring the trend of statistical inflation since 2010. It's crazy to think about because 6 years is such little time but things have changed greatly. After Bradford's rookie year in 2010, Bradford was first all time in completions and pass attempts. He was second all time in passing yards. He was fourth all time in passing TDs. Bradford's QB Rating was top 10 all time. These numbers are all among rookie QBs.

Since Bradford's rookie season, three QBs have posted 4000+ yard passing seasons.(obliterating Manning's record) Two QBs have posted more attempts. No QB has yet broken his record for completions but a couple came close. Nine QBs have posted more than 18 passing TDs. Ten QBs have posted equal or better QB Ratings than Bradford's.

That's insane. Bradford was fourth all time in rookie passing TDs in 2010. Between 2011 and 2015, nine QBs bested that mark. Think about that for a second. Insane.

Since 2011, 15 rookie QBs have passed for more than 2000 yards. Of those 15 QBs, 10 posted QB Ratings equal to or higher than Bradford's. That means if Goff is only average for that group of rookie QBs, he'll posted a QB Rating higher than Bradford's. Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota went #1 and #2 last year. Winston posted a 4000 yard passing season, put up 28 total TDs (22 passing and 6 rushing), and a QB Rating of 84.2. Mariota posted a QB Rating of 91.9 and put up 22 total TDs (19 passing, 2 rushing, and 1 receiving) in only 12 games. Mike Glennon, a 3rd round pick who is now backing up Winston, put up 19 TDs to 9 Ints and a QB Rating of 83.9 in 13 games as a rookie QB.

Rookie stats have taken off since Bradford's rookie year. That's because of rule changes which have caused statistical inflation and evolving schemes which have made it easier for rookie QBs to adapt to the NFL.

Simply put, even if Goff performs relative to his peers at the same level as rookie Bradford, his final numbers in 2016 will still be better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If he stays healthy; he'll be better than Bradford statistically.

This team is SIGNIFICANTLY more complete than Bradford's Rams.

jap

Legend
The LA Horns, in the business of manufacturing consecutive rookies of the year since 2014 and going for the three-peat in 2016.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Think about this..........because not only is it possible under this scenario it would be probable.

Goff exceeds Bradfords year (IMO he will) and looks like a great prospect..........and the Rams win 9 games.

He'd be a virtual lock for ROY because of his position, unless a rookie WR or RB had a monster year.

That would make 3 straight ROY picks for Snead and Fisher.

That would get peoples attention I would think.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Better. Goff has a better team around him and a better coaching staff. He might not throw for 3500+ yards depending on how many attempts Fisher gives him but I think he'll post better efficiency numbers.
" By George I think you've Nailed IT!";):D:yay: