Wild Cat?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I wonder about running a wildcat...hike the ball directly to Gurley or Austin.

Seems like we are pretty darn predictable anyway so perhaps we may as well just hike it right to the playmakers.

Thoughts?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
No, I like the jet sweep, misdirection we have been doing. It's hard to defend. DCs will figure it out eventually so our passing game has to grow up very, very soon.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, I like the jet sweep, misdirection we have been doing. It's hard to defend. DCs will figure it out eventually so our passing game has to grow up very, very soon.
I dont know that there is anything to "figure out" on the jet sweep misdirection. Its not really a gimmick its a product of 2 supremely talented players that can both hurt you. A "pick your poison" if you will. As long as Tavon and Gurley remain as explosive as they are now...that play will be effective

CodeMonkey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im not suggest this as a base. But as something to put in there. Hell you could have one of them pitch to the other even...or to Foles. Bonus flavor to give defenses something to think about...or better, catch them snoozing.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I have to say, this did cross my mind while watching the Steelers running some wildcat with Bell last night. The thought of Gurley taking a snap with Mason next to him in the pistol, and Tavon running an end around had me quite excited in my head.
But then i remembered why the wildcat didn't work when ran often, with no passing threat there there would just be 11 in the box ready for each running possibility.

Might work for a play or two per game though, if you can catch the defense off-guard you could maybe get a big play out of it. Wouldn't look to feature it heavily but it would certainly be interesting given our particular talent at the skill positions.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Im not suggest this as a base. But as something to put in there. Hell you could have one of them pitch to the other even...or to Foles. Bonus flavor to give defenses something to think about...or better, catch them snoozing.
I like the idea of Gurley and Mason in the backfield at the same time to put a little doubt in the D's mind but I just don't like the wildcat because EVERYBODY knows it's a run. The only thing it does is eliminate the handoff thus gains a step for the runner to hit the hole. (if there is one)

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
We would have done better running the wildcat every fucking play, rather than letting Brandon WeDone throw the damn ball. Is this season over yet? :poop:

CodeMonkey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But what if everybody already knows it's a run as it is? We arent really losing the element of surprise. And, as I said, the QB could pitch it to another player...including Foles or even throw a forward pass themselves. I bet either guy can complete a short pass.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Might as well!
We run on every first down anyway so there is no doubt in the defense now.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
But what if everybody already knows it's a run as it is? We arent really losing the element of surprise. And, as I said, the QB could pitch it to another player...including Foles or even throw a forward pass themselves. I bet either guy can complete a short pass.
Very good point, and Gurley did complete a long pass in his Junior year IIRC.

Rainram

Starter
I'll pass on the Wildcat altogether. That fad didn't last long. (Shoot, the play almost didn't work for the Steelers anyway.)

I would be curious to see what an Offensive Mastermind/Mad Scientist could do with both Gurley and Tavon (and a few of our other pieces).

But for now I'm okay watching this offense grow and seeing how Cigs does. It's not like we have any other options anyway.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I dont know that there is anything to "figure out" on the jet sweep misdirection. Its not really a gimmick its a product of 2 supremely talented players that can both hurt you. A "pick your poison" if you will. As long as Tavon and Gurley remain as explosive as they are now...that play will be effective
I don't know. I love what Ciggy has done with that offensive set and it forces the LB's to think and be very disciplined, but if i'm playing the role of the armchair DC i'd just put 8 men in the box in some sort of zone and let my corners go man to man vs our receivers who can't seem to get open on their own.
This offense needs a vertical threat that commands attention from a safety on just about every play. As it stands now i think DC's will adjust to the Gurley/Tavon behind the LOS show.

Alan

Legend
Rynie thinking seriously about Hari Kiri:
We would have done better running the wildcat every freaking play, rather than letting Brandon WeDone throw the damn ball. Is this season over yet?
Romo's only on short-term IR so he'll be back. This is something you eventually get used to so hang in there.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know. I love what Ciggy has done with that offensive set and it forces the LB's to think and be very disciplined, but if i'm playing the role of the armchair DC i'd just put 8 men in the box in some sort of zone and let my corners go man to man vs our receivers who can't seem to get open on their own.
This offense needs a vertical threat that commands attention from a safety on just about every play. As it stands now i think DC's will adjust to the Gurley/Tavon behind the LOS show.
Agreed that we need a verticle threat to make our offense even butter. But the problem with this play is even if the box is stacked...as a defender you don't know whos getting the ball you have to watch and react to equally dangerous players running in different directions. flip your hips towards tavon and you open a hole long enough for Gurley. React towards gurley and tavon is gone around the edge in a blur. they both only need a moment of hesitation on the defenders part because they are so explosive.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I'm not sure I know what Cigs has done or wants to do as the OL hasn't blocked much for any play. Pretty much our offense right now is to just give it to Gurley or Austin as fast as we can. The vertical threat is needed I agree, but it's almost an empty threat as long as the QB is getting violated or going thru his reads in a haze because he's just been violated.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
To maximize our passing threat I vote for the Hekkcat, where Johnny Hekker is in shotgun for either a handoff, pass, or pooch punt option.