Wichmann second highest rated guard this weekend.PFF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Best players at every position in Week 16
Harrison Smith and Aaron Donald highlight Khaled Elsayed's list of the top performers at every position in Week 16.

Khaled Elsayed | 33 mins ago
AP_242396780838.jpg

(AP Photo/Jim Mone)

There were some big box score performances on Sunday, as the yards flowed for quarterbacks and the sacks flowed for pass rushers. But going beyond that, who would the tape determine worthy of a place on the PFF Team of the Week roster?

Let’s find out.

Quarterback: Matt Ryan, Falcons (+5.8)

Those contending for the MVP award took the week off, but Ryan afforded himself no such luxury, with a nearly flawless effort. He completed 23-of-30 pass attempts, but only two of those were off target, with drops and throwaways accounting for five of those incompletions.

Running back: Frank Gore, Colts (+2.7)

Gore rolled back the years, as he averaged 5.7 yards per carry while forcing five missed tackles. The only thing that stopped him from picking up a big day statistically was his number of rushes.

Fullback: Patrick DiMarco, Falcons (+0.9)

Not for the first time this year, DiMarco had the highest run blocking grade of any fullback.

Tight end: Jordan Reed, Redskins (+4.3)

Big day from Reed, who didn’t just post 129 yards and two touchdowns, but did so while blocking well in the run game.

Wide receivers: DeAndre Hopkins, Texans (+4.0) and Julio Jones, Falcons (+4.0)

It should tell you something that Jones made this team even though he dropped one ball and let another get knocked out of his hands. Outside of that, he was unstoppable. Hopkins had another big day, building on an excellent year that bodes very well for the future in Houston.

Tackles: Trent Williams, Redskins (+3.1) and Kyle Long, Bears (+4.9)

Williams got beat for a sack, but little else, as he scored the highest mark of all left tackles. There was more competition on the right side, but Long stood out with some fantastic run blocking.

Guards: Ryan Jensen, Ravens (+7.4) and Cody Wichmann, Rams (+5.2)

Jensen has gone from a liability to a stud by posting two stunning efforts in the past couple of weeks, with his showing against the Steelers truly remarkable. The rookie Wichmann has had some teething issues when he’s played this year, but this was a hugely encouraging display.

Center: Weston Richburg, Giants (+3.3)

It’s been a bad year for fans of the Giants, but console yourselves with the play of Richburg, who looks like he’s the long-term answer at the pivot.

Each week, we put forward a hybrid defense that features two edge rushers (4-3 defensive ends or 3-4 outside linebackers), three players on the “interior” of the defensive line (3-4 defensive ends or defensive tackles), and two linebackers (all inside linebackers and 4-3 outside linebackers).

Defensive interior – ends: Aaron Donald, Rams (+9.9) and J.J. Watt, Texans (+7.8)

Another display from Donald that suggests he should be Defensive Player of the Year. What a season he is having. Watt edges out Kawann Short on the strength of his pass rushing.

Defensive interior – nose: Ian Williams, 49ers (+5.0)

It’s easy to ignore Williams playing on a 49ers team in turmoil, but his play the last five weeks has been stunningly good. He’s taken his opportunity this year with both hands.

Edge rushers: Khalil Mack, Raiders (+6.5) and William Hayes, Rams (+6.4)

Mack was back to his best with the kind of complete game we’ve become accustomed to seeing out of him. Hayes may just be a fill-in, but the veteran has had a very nice year, and he really took it to the Seahawks’ line with nine quarterback disruptions.

Linebackers: Sean Lee, Cowboys (+4.8) and Deone Bucannon, Cardinals (+2.9)

Big day for Lee, who logged double-digit tackles and earned positive marks in all facets of his play on defense. Bucannon isn’t your conventional linebacker, but his speed and aggressiveness shines through, and no more so than against Green Bay, where he earned his best grade of the year.

Cornerbacks: Delvin Breaux, Saints (+4.9) and Vontae Davis, Colts (+3.6)

What a year from Breaux. It’s amazing in a lot of ways that he’s even playing football, but also that he’s doing it at such a high level. He was thrown at eight times by the Jags, and allowed two completions for 4 yards, while picking off one ball and deflecting another two. Davis enjoyed his outing against his former team, picking off one ball and allowing just 7 yards into his coverage.

Safeties: Harrison Smith, Vikings (+3.6) and Harold Jones-Quartey, Bears (+3.3)

An eventful day for HJQ, who was beaten for a touchdown, but had a fantastic pick of his own in a strong effort. Smith returned to the Vikings’ lineup to notch a pick-six, and was as fearsome as usual against the run.

Kicker: Robbie Gould, Bears

Perfect on the day with one from over 50 yards.

Punter: Brett Kern, Titans

Two Team of the Week appearances in a row for Kern, who is having himself a nice year.

Returner: Taiwan Jones, Raiders

Not a big week for returns, but Jones did some damage on kickoffs.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
William Hayes is going to make some coin this off-season. Hope the Rams manage to keep him.

Edge rushers: Khalil Mack, Raiders (+6.5) and William Hayes, Rams (+6.4)

Mack was back to his best with the kind of complete game we’ve become accustomed to seeing out of him. Hayes may just be a fill-in, but the veteran has had a very nice year, and he really took it to the Seahawks’ line with nine quarterback disruptions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Donald another strong week in those ratings.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
William Hayes is going to make some coin this off-season. Hope the Rams manage to keep him.

I don't know about that. He'll be 31 in May.

I see Hayes as our James Hall from a few years ago. Solid player. Solid contract. A win-win. He's a guy that seems to value "fit" over fortune (I believe he likes it here).

(The again, he's tight with C Long. If that situation doesn't go well, all bets off with Hayes)

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Hats off to the Rams OL this weekend, they really seemed to gel--hopefully we're done monkeying around w/ the O-line for a year or two.
Wichmann is proving that Snead's approach to this last year's draft is paying nice dividends--him, Havenstein & Brown all look like great picks, w/ Donnal another possible good pick for R/T depth behind Havenstein. We were all hoping that the OL would finally get some attention this year from Snisher, & it looks kinda like it got it. Tim Barnes even picking it up (literally :D) ....and, maybe Grob can keep developing, nice game from him yesterday.

Here's a nice 2016 Offensive Line squad, with DEPTH:
LT - Grob / Battle
LG - Saffold / Reynolds (this may actually switch after Reynolds' play this season....)
C - Barnes / <draft pick>
RG - Brown / Wichmann
RT - Havenstein / Donnal

fearsomefour

Legend
Those ratings are sort of, you know....
But, Wichmann has been playing better, he got blown up a couple of times yesterday, but, overall his has certainly improved. If the Rams have seen enough to let Saffold go, freeing up $3M to help with the free agents, that would be nice. Nothing against Roger and I would like keep him but, money rules all.
The real question at G at this point is Brown.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Hats off to the Rams OL this weekend, they really seemed to gel--hopefully we're done monkeying around w/ the O-line for a year or two.
Wichmann is proving that Snead's approach to this last year's draft is paying nice dividends--him, Havenstein & Brown all look like great picks, w/ Donnal another possible good pick for R/T depth behind Havenstein. We were all hoping that the OL would finally get some attention this year from Snisher, & it looks kinda like it got it. Tim Barnes even picking it up (literally :D) ....and, maybe Grob can keep developing, nice game from him yesterday.

LT - Grob / Battle
LG - Saffold / Reynolds (this may actually switch after Reynolds' play this season....)
RG - Brown / Wichmann
RT - Havenstein / Donnal
How 'bout Brown at LG, Wichmann at RG? Brown looked his best in preseason when he was on the left side.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's weird to finally have some depth on the line. Reynolds has been a great FA signing. I don't even know who I want starting next year.

I'm actually ok with Fisher coming back next year. This team needs the continuity and I'm feeling a 13-3 season coming.

jjab360

Legend
Reynolds and Wichmann are sure going to give original starters Saffold and Brown a run for their money next year.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Reynolds and Wichmann are sure going to give original starters Saffold and Brown a run for their money next year.
With all the injuries this year a number of players got significant playing time.And next year I.Battle will join that group so competition in TC is sure to be fierce.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When Brown comes back he moves to LG and Wichmann stays right where he is loved this kid from the outset and he's done nothing to prove otherwise. Great size and is getting better game by game release Saffold next year save some money and resign Reynolds, but next year I want Wichmann starting.

TexasRam

Legend
I rewatched the game last night focusing on Grob. I was very hopeful when I started and let me say he moves people in the run game out of the play. But man, it's a horror show in pass protecting. He got run around the corner with ease and then a quick fake by the DE to the outside and Grob jumps outside leaving a free lane inside that the DE immediately takes directly to the Qb.

We must go into next season with a backup plan at LT.

Props to Hayes with a great game!

Donald with a 9.9 is ridiculous. No one comes close to that grade.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

LT - Grob / Battle
RG - Brown / Wichmann
RT - Havenstein / Donnal

Rams OL had a nice game, and that ol 2016 depth chart is not a bad start. But this is far from a complete solution.

Frankly it is probably time to let Saffold go. He wasn't playing well before the injury and we need his cap money to pay for our solidly performing free agents or a new free agent pickup. He was supposed to be our push the pocket guy but it just hasn't worked out.

The Rams, if they are going to be a doninating run team, will need at least one interior guy who can really push the pocket (in addition to a wall/trap guy). That might be Brown but we'll see. Those guys don't grow on trees so a free agent splash or a high round draft pick would be nice. They have enough bodies, they need another difference maker.

Complacency = bad.

fearsomefour

Legend
I rewatched the game last night focusing on Grob. I was very hopeful when I started and let me say he moves people in the run game out of the play. But man, it's a horror show in pass protecting. He got run around the corner with ease and then a quick fake by the DE to the outside and Grob jumps outside leaving a free lane inside that the DE immediately takes directly to the Qb.

We must go into next season with a backup plan at LT.

Props to Hayes with a great game!

Donald with a 9.9 is ridiculous. No one comes close to that grade.
So, I have not doubt Robinson is not being moved from LT.
What are the options for depth at LT? Saffold (if he is not released), Williams, Battle. So, a vet guy that cant stay healthy and two very inexperienced, raw guys. Is there a fairly low cost veteran option in FA? Would the team invest another draft pick, fairly high, to build LT depth. Probably not.
I am sure this is why the team invested in Battle. It will be interesting to see how he progresses in training camp. Robinson, Havenstein, Battle and Williams or Donnal may be the plan for next year. This may be bad or good, depending on how Battle progresses.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

In my small mind OLG Garrett Reynolds has already outplayed Saffold @ OLG by a long Long LONG ways. Veteran GR is still playing & performing well while Rodger Saffold is doing what he has always did...being UN-healthy. Even when Saffold was stamped healthy he was a shell of his old self. Very Weak in overall performance but somewhat solid in being mistake proof. Saffold started out @ ORG but shifted to OLG to assist GRob & Brown was flipped. Saffold quickly destroyed his shoulder again. I think there will be NO Saffold here in 2016 to participate in any run at any starting post.

If Jamon Brown is inserted back into his natural playing left side & where Brown shinned early ....his future game day performances will vastly improve & the OLG post will be a solid strong position for the Rams. Brown was also a very good starting OLT for several yrs in college. Keeping Brown @ ORG would not be a good plan. If you question my thoughts on Brown's play please go look at JB's early play @ OLG vs. his later games @ ORG. You should clearly observe the differences in his overall game performances.

I would also say that Cody Wichmann has matched the play of Jamon Brown @ RIGHT OG. CW has done better than Saffold limited time @ ORG. Saffold started only 5 games & was only able to finish 3 games total in 2015. CW did finish one game @ OLG but has now started 6 straight games @ ORG. The Rams last 3 wins have occurred with Wichmann/Havenstein duo on the right side. It would be wise to plan to keep those two together in 2016. Garrett Reynolds is already signed & ready to be a very good 6th Ram OL'er in 2016. The only 2015 Ram OL'er we need to sign is Tim Barnes!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if Fisher will be here next year. I think it might ultimately depend on how the Rams play next week. But if Boudreau is here, I sure trust him to start the best 5 offensive linemen on our team, whoever they might be next year. We've heard complaints about the line this year, but let's face it... Bou has done a great job with these rookies and the o-line in general!!!

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I like the pieces assembled on the line this year except for Saffold really. Barnes is consistent, just not that good IMO. An upgrade at Center and a health Jamon Brown at LG and the line could get good really quickly. I'd like them to release Saffold, resign Reynolds and draft a quality Center and another Guard late. Resign Barnes to a modest deal and make the young guy earn the job from Barnes. Getting the 2015 class through the off season program should really help solidify the O line for the immediate future.

Robinson/Brown/Draft Pick/Wichmann/Havenstein as the projected starters in camp.

Then you have Battle, Williams, Barnes, Donnal and late draft pick Guard. Only the new Guard would not have experience and he is still gonna have to beat Rhaney out to get a job. I think it was Coach O who said continuity was key more than raw talent at each individual position. These guys are still learning their own assignments as well as learning how the guy next to them plays and moves. I have high hopes for this group. I think finding the "guy" at Center is key to taking that step towards having a top 10-15 line.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I like the pieces assembled on the line this year except for Saffold really. Barnes is consistent, just not that good IMO. An upgrade at Center and a health Jamon Brown at LG and the line could get good really quickly. I'd like them to release Saffold, resign Reynolds and draft a quality Center and another Guard late. Resign Barnes to a modest deal and make the young guy earn the job from Barnes. Getting the 2015 class through the off season program should really help solidify the O line for the immediate future.

Robinson/Brown/Draft Pick/Wichmann/Havenstein as the projected starters in camp.

Then you have Battle, Williams, Barnes, Donnal and late draft pick Guard. Only the new Guard would not have experience and he is still gonna have to beat Rhaney out to get a job. I think it was Coach O who said continuity was key more than raw talent at each individual position. These guys are still learning their own assignments as well as learning how the guy next to them plays and moves. I have high hopes for this group. I think finding the "guy" at Center is key to taking that step towards having a top 10-15 line.

Agree about most points, but Tim Barnes' spot is probably not going to be relinquished--it would take a very special rookie starting in TC from day 1 to displace him. OL continuity is so important, and the C position is probably where you need it the most, as he makes the line calls. With the input above, for our 10 2016 starters, I'd like to see:

Robinson / Battle
Brown / Reynolds
Barnes / stud C draft pick
Wichmann / Donnal
Havenstien / Williams (forgot about him!)

If we can get another 2016 rookie draft pick (or F/A) to out-play Wichmann, great, but I'm not counting on that--I'd rather have the continuity & experience. Rhaney to PS, along with any other rookies we can stash on there. Saffold to street.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I don't know about that. He'll be 31 in May.

I see Hayes as our James Hall from a few years ago. Solid player. Solid contract. A win-win. He's a guy that seems to value "fit" over fortune (I believe he likes it here).

(The again, he's tight with C Long. If that situation doesn't go well, all bets off with Hayes)

And honestly, he doesn't wanna play anywhere else. He's contemplated retirement before signing with the Rams.