Why Rod Chudzinski Makes Sense for OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CeeDub

UDFA
Name
LUVDARAMS
New to posting on the board but have been reading for last 6 months. Here me out on Rod Chudzinski as both he and Shottenheimer stem from the Air Coryell/ Norv Turner vertical offense attack. I believe Shottenheimer first started with the Rams under Ernie Zampese and Chudzinski coached under Norv in San Diego and had him as his offensive coordinater in Cleveland in 2013. Chudzinski is just more innovative than Shottenheimer and attacks defenses like Greg Williams attacks offenses, WOW!!! just think what practice would be like with these two guys boy that would be fun to see. Shottenheimers playing calling wasn't terrible as there were worst offenses than ours but he just didn't know how to develop and utilize his young talent and Chudzinski has track record of that in San Diego, Carolina, and Cleveland. In some NFL circles they say Chudzinski could be next Bruce Arians, he's that good offensively.

If you go to the following link below you will see the 5 key elements to Norv Turner offense which are partly based on the Air Coryell philosophy of power running game and vertical passing attack utilizing big receivers with speed and a pass catching TE. The 5 key elements are:

1. High Yards per passing attempt - Turner’s offenses have been both productive and efficient in throwing the ball, which has yielded impressive yards per passing attempt numbers. With Turner calling the shots in San Diego, the Chargers were never below 6.42 yards per attempt and in fact ranked No. 1 in the category three times during his tenure (8.39 in 2008, 8.68 in 2009, 8.72 in 2010). Key to this point again is a solid offensive line who are good pass blockers and Rams just haven't nailed this piece, for success in 2015 we must solve our OL challenges suit up 5 guys that can work together in unity and keep the QB clean for the most, you can't avoid all sacks but if we can eliminate sacks at critical times then we will have success.

2. Size at Wide Receiver - A big part of Turner’s offenses being able to ring up big-time numbers has been big receivers. In San Diego, Turner’s top pass-catching wide receiver was Vincent Jackson, who measures in at 6-5, 230 pounds. Last year in Cleveland, Turner helped Josh Gordon, listed at 6-3, 225 pounds, lead the League in receiving yards with 1,646.
As you can see Shottenheimer was trying to utilize this aspect of Norv Turners offensive with our big receivers Britt, Quick, and even Cookie. Just think if we had healthy Bradford and solid OL Britt and Quick (if he didn't get hurt) potentially would have had 1,000 yards receiving each, shoot we haven't seen that since Holt and Bruce.

3. A Field-Stretching TE - Another element of Turner’s passing plan is a big, physical, field-stretching tight end who can present matchup nightmares for the opposing defense. These long, fast and strong pass catchers are too big for cornerbacks and too fast for linebackers, forcing a defense to either concede production or put a safety in coverage.
This was probably the big reason why we went out and got Jared Cook, but I wouldn't say Cookie is physical he is very soft for my taste, but just think what Chudzinski could do with Cook in his passing offense, we couldn potentially have 3 near 1,000 yard receivers.

4. Physical rushing Attack - Turner’s offenses are not all about air production. He loves a punishing ground attack and five times Turner’s offenses have produced the NFL’s leading rusher, with Emmitt Smith doing it three times (1991-93)and Ricky Williams (2002) and LaDainian Tomlinson (2007) doing it once each under Turner’s guidance.
This is what Fisher most wants from his offense a physical running game that punishes a defense and controls the clock. Tre Mason would do well under Chudzinski.

5. Shifty Scat Back - Just look at what Norv did with Darren Sproles and then think what Chud could do with Tavon Austion, enough said.

Let me know your thoughts?

Here is the link and another good link about Chudzinski and his time with the Colts

http://www.vikings.com/news/article...-Offense/b2e51c96-a157-4352-858e-99618ae34b0e

http://www.procanes.com/files/category-rob-chudzinski.html

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Nice first post man, welcome to ROD.

I agree that Chud would be a good hire. Unfortunately it seems that there is some competition for his services, so fingers crossed!

fearsomefour

Legend
Nice post.
What you say makes sense. I would not have an issue with him as it seems it could be a fairly smooth transition. I just do not someone that is going to require a major shift in approach or personal.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Welcome CeeDub.
Chad would be a popular addition.
Haven't heard anything about him coming in.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Terrific well thought out post.
I don't know of any connection between he and Fish though.

FRO

Legend
I agree he should be a candidate. Runs the same scheme which is huge. He is my number 2 choice behind Shanahan.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Nice first post! Welcome aboard!

And yeah I agree I'd be pumped about Chudzinski. I like the continuity as well with a similar scheme coming in. I just don't want us to do a Josh McDaniels and rip the whole thing up and start from scratch going to a spread or run'n'gun offense (even though I said I wanted Mad Mike on another thread!!)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Candidate: Rob Chudzinski

Offensive Coordinator Experience: three years at the University ofMiami, three in Cleveland and two in Carolina

Recent Experience

2011-2012: Offensive Coordinator, Carolina Panthers
Chudzinski’s Panthers, led by a running quarterback in Cam Newton, ranked in the top 10 in terms of rushing yards in both of Chudzinski’s two seasons running the show in Carolina. In 2011, Carolina had a top-10 offense overall. It scored 406 points, which was the fifth-most in the NFL and topped 6,200 total yards. The Panthers declined a little in 2012, but they were still in the top half of the league in terms of yards gained.

2013: Head Coach, Cleveland Browns
The Browns stumbled to a 4-12 record in Chudzinski’s one year as a head coach and couldn’t score very much. This can partially be blamed on their quarterback situation, as Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden made 13 starts, combining for a 1-12 record.

The team looked better with Brian Hoyer until he tore his ACL. The Browns featured the league-leading receiver in Josh Gordon and finished in the top 11 in terms of passing offense.

2014: Special Assistant, Indianapolis ColtsReuniting with Chuck Pagano, Chudzinski has been helping the defensework against the read-option and other offensive formations. He’s been a sort of offensive guru, explaining to the defense what the offense is thinking and how they can exploit it.

Positives:With head coaching experience, Chudzinski would be well-equipped to have full run of the offense, which would help a first-time head coach like Fangio or Quinn. He worked well with a running quarterback in Cam Newton in Carolina and can certainly design a strong running game. He has the same agent as Vic Fangio.

Negatives:He has had a top-10 offense only two years out of six as a coordinator or NFL head coach. He may prefer another chance at a head coaching role after being turfed out of Cleveland after only one season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...er-on-offensive-coordinator-candidates/page/2

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Memphis you don't have to sell me I've wanted Chud for a while excellent OC, however, the Colts might not grant permission because some teams will want to interview their OC in Pep Hamilton. Hopefully they will grant permission and the Rams will be interested, but I just have a feeling Kyle Shanahan will be the next Ram OC.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Memphis you don't have to sell me I've wanted Chud for a while excellent OC, however, the Colts might not grant permission because some teams will want to interview their OC in Pep Hamilton. Hopefully they will grant permission and the Rams will be interested, but I just have a feeling Kyle Shanahan will be the next Ram OC.

Actually, I'm not completely sold myself. I just came across this on the net and posted it.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Candidate: Rob Chudzinski

Offensive Coordinator Experience: three years at the University ofMiami, three in Cleveland and two in Carolina

Recent Experience

2011-2012: Offensive Coordinator, Carolina Panthers
Chudzinski’s Panthers, led by a running quarterback in Cam Newton, ranked in the top 10 in terms of rushing yards in both of Chudzinski’s two seasons running the show in Carolina. In 2011, Carolina had a top-10 offense overall. It scored 406 points, which was the fifth-most in the NFL and topped 6,200 total yards. The Panthers declined a little in 2012, but they were still in the top half of the league in terms of yards gained.

2013: Head Coach, Cleveland Browns
The Browns stumbled to a 4-12 record in Chudzinski’s one year as a head coach and couldn’t score very much. This can partially be blamed on their quarterback situation, as Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden made 13 starts, combining for a 1-12 record.

The team looked better with Brian Hoyer until he tore his ACL. The Browns featured the league-leading receiver in Josh Gordon and finished in the top 11 in terms of passing offense.

2014: Special Assistant, Indianapolis ColtsReuniting with Chuck Pagano, Chudzinski has been helping the defensework against the read-option and other offensive formations. He’s been a sort of offensive guru, explaining to the defense what the offense is thinking and how they can exploit it.

Positives:With head coaching experience, Chudzinski would be well-equipped to have full run of the offense, which would help a first-time head coach like Fangio or Quinn. He worked well with a running quarterback in Cam Newton in Carolina and can certainly design a strong running game. He has the same agent as Vic Fangio.

Negatives:He has had a top-10 offense only two years out of six as a coordinator or NFL head coach. He may prefer another chance at a head coaching role after being turfed out of Cleveland after only one season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...er-on-offensive-coordinator-candidates/page/2

Sold! Can the Rams just go ahead and hire him now or do they have to wait until the Colts season is over (Possibly, today)?

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Sold! Can the Rams just go ahead and hire him now or do they have to wait until the Colts season is over (Possibly, today)?
I believe they have to wait for the Colts' season to be over.

I have a tough time keeping up with the NFL rules when it comes to interviewing candidates whose current team is in the playoff run. If they're on a team that had a bye during Wild Card weekend, those candidates were available to interview during that bye week.

At least, that's my understanding of the rules. Can anyone else confirm or correct?

Memphis Ram

Legend
For those that want to stick to the Coryell coaching tree, how about a candidate that probably won't be getting another head coaching gig and leave quickly after some success?

How about former Chargers and Ravens offensive coordinator, Cam Cameron.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Real Good 1st post, Keep up the good work!!(y)
55555.jpg
football-dummies-book-outblush.jpg
Fisher_Wink_Still_0_standard_709_0.jpg
ackbarTrap02s_zps3f0d0cf4.jpg
We use Blue Font around here when we're Kidding around, usually, but not always!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For those that want to stick to the Coryell coaching tree, how about a candidate that probably won't be getting another head coaching gig and leave quickly after some success?

How about former Chargers and Ravens offensive coordinator, Cam Cameron.

He's now at LSU had to go back to the collegiate level after being fired by John Harbaugh and the Baltimore Ravens a couple years ago. I was always a fan, but it did not work in Baltimore so he might want to stay where he's liked down on the Bayou.