Why I'm not worried about Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
The kid is at a fork in the road, being deactivated will either deflate his balloon or inspire his talent. When I think about what he did with that Cal team tells me he's not a quitter, quite the opposite. We may or may not make the playoffs this year but by next season we'll be a serious contender. I think our weakness this year is WR's, hopefully Gurley and the Tight Ends will keep our offense alive. Bottom line, give Goff a break....... for now.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm really beginning to wonder about trading up for a kid that doesn't know where the sun rises or how to take a snap from under center!:headexplosion:
And now I'm hearing that no QB has ever successfully transitioned from his college offense to the pros?:shocking:

rdw

Pro Bowler
I'm really beginning to wonder about trading up for a kid that doesn't know where the sun rises or how to take a snap from under center!:headexplosion:
And now I'm hearing that no QB has ever successfully transitioned from his college offense to the pros?:shocking:
Are you telling me that he didn't know where the rises from?!
tumblr_m8kilrFfWI1rq4xsa.gif

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I really think Fish and the staff did a disservice to Goff in the preseason, riding him real easy.

But I also think that sitting him may do a service for the team and for him. This team certainly needs to define a winning culture.

We will see that winning culture on Monday night!

I fully expect:
1. Ogletree and Barron to be LEADERS
2. Tavon and Gurley to be rolling
3. Our oline to push in the run game.
4. Elite special teams.
5. I think Tru goes lockdown this year-not to say he didn't last year
6. Quinn, Brock, Donald, Hayes with the rotation behind them! Yikes!

I am so excited for this season to get underway!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard something from Ron Jaworski that he said as a throwaway line, that I thought was revealing. He was talking about Carson Wentz with thrilled Philly sports radio guys, and they were talking about the baffling Bradford trade and the resuilting reason he (Wentz) was starting, although somewhat unready to start. They would have all believed that starting Chase Daniels would have been smart for a few weeks, but they were excited to see the kid grow this year....Then Jaws said, "With Bradford here, the kid would be the number three QB, but now..."

Sound familiar?

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Well, they may not be HOFer's, but Steve Bartkowski, Craig Morton, Vince Ferragamo and a guy named Aaron Rodgers are from or played for Cal.

RamWoodie

Legend
The kid is at a fork in the road, being deactivated will either deflate his balloon or inspire his talent. When I think about what he did with that Cal team tells me he's not a quitter, quite the opposite. We may or may not make the playoffs this year but by next season we'll be a serious contender. I think our weakness this year is WR's, hopefully Gurley and the Tight Ends will keep our offense alive. Bottom line, give Goff a break....... for now.
You shouldn't worry...it's the "nature of the beast" for the most part.

I don't know what people are thinking. Goff came from a spread system, and it's proven time and time again that spread QBs are going to struggle when they get to the NFL. The stats bear that out. It's not about throwing the ball...Goff seems to be the Rams strongest arm from what I've seen.

This is about the PRO GAME...and we've had expert after expert tell us that spread QBs will struggle in the NFL. I wouldn't accept it as a fact for a while, but Bill Poliain is one guy that helped me understand that along with others that were able to explain the nuances better.

It's reality folks! We need to wait on Goff to get up to speed and demonstrate he has a grasp. If some of you don't want to accept the facts...here are a few links that may help you understand why Goff is not ready:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...re-how-use-college-spread-qbs-clayton-mailbag

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...cbb4f2-5be2-11e5-9757-e49273f05f65_story.html

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mayock-spread-qbs-a-huge-gamble-for-nfl-teams

Goff ain't ready but he has ALL THE TOOLS> For what the Rams did to get him...THEY BEST take their time and put him out there when they firmly believe he's ready. I support that.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Well, they may not be HOFer's, but Steve Bartkowski, Craig Morton, Vince Ferragamo and a guy named Aaron Rodgers are from or played for Cal.

I think he meant the "offense" his college team ran.
Not the institution itself. ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I heard something from Ron Jaworski that he said as a throwaway line, that I thought was revealing. He was talking about Carson Wentz with thrilled Philly sports radio guys, and they were talking about the baffling Bradford trade and the resuilting reason he (Wentz) was starting, although somewhat unready to start. They would have all believed that starting Chase Daniels would have been smart for a few weeks, but they were excited to see the kid grow this year....Then Jaws said, "With Bradford here, the kid would be the number three QB, but now..."

The difference between a NEW regime and one in its FIFTH season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The difference between a NEW regime and one in its FIFTH season.
What does that have to do with whether a rookie starts on game One? Your response speaks to fan frustrations, which will not help Goff learn to be an NFL QB...just as fan enthusiasm won't protect the unready Carson Wentz, when he gets killed by some exotic blitz, Week One.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The NFL is set up to try to achieve parity.

The main reason there is no parity is because of crappy decisions made by owners and front offices. Most of those crappy decisions are made because of a lack of patience and the quest for instant gratification.

This attitude that exists among many fans and most of the media that just because someone was picked first overall, they should start immediately, is an example of that.

If Goff were to start on Monday, or in any game before he's ready, you risk ruining his confidence. Is that worth being able to tell everyone you started your first overall pick asap? Of course it isn't.

If you give him time to adapt to the NFL and put him in when you think he's ready (and I'm talking at some point during this coming season), you increase the chances of him being your franchise QB for the next decade plus which would be worth everything we gave up in the trade with the Titans.

The short term view that so many people have, especially in the media, really annoys me.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
The Goff inactive thread to me is a stain on many of our members, I have seen enough of Goff to feel comfortable they made the right pick, how anyone didn't see this coming is beyond me (not starting opening week or even this year if all goes to plan)

I look forward to the day down the road when our resident experts one by one begin posting "boy was I wrong" threads in the handling of this situation (if they have the stones to)

Until then, I guess all I can do is shake my head

Go Rams!!

Last edited:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I really think Fish and the staff did a disservice to Goff in the preseason, riding him real easy.

I fully expect:
1. Ogletree and Barron to be LEADERS
2. Tavon and Gurley to be rolling
3. Our oline to push in the run game.
4. Elite special teams.
5. I think Tru goes lockdown this year-not to say he didn't last year
6. Quinn, Brock, Donald, Hayes with the rotation behind them! Yikes!

I am so excited for this season to get underway!
EXACTLY.

Oh, and the sun doesn't rise....so he ain't no dummy. The sun stays still in the globe model....hmmmm, just sayinl

Bruce2980

Starter
I don't see how a 2- 2 start would cost Keenum the job...
I don't think 2-2 would cost Keenum his job, but I do think Goff will have the ability to call plays, read blitzes and have a reasonable comfort level that will allow him to beat Keenum out of his job, regardless of the record, by week four or five. Goff can learn everything he needs to by sitting out the first four or five weeks. Obviously I am just guessing at the time it will take, but at some point in the season Goff will take over as the starting QB, hopefully because he is better than Keenum and not from injury forcing him in, but either way, we are going to win the Super Bowl this year Baby!!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What does that have to do with whether a rookie starts on game One? Your response speaks to fan frustrations, which will not help Goff learn to be an NFL QB...just as fan enthusiasm won't protect the unready Carson Wentz, when he gets killed by some exotic blitz, Week One.

It has an enormous amount to do with whether a rookie starts game one.

When you have a new regime that takes a QB high it is understood they're going to have to take their lumps with him as he learns on the job. He is also not going to get a full install of the offense. They'll say they're doing that but inevitably more and more will be added to the offense in year 2/3 as he matures into an NFL QB.

Fisher is just a different situation entirely. He has to win. Fans all have this perception that he's comfortable and willing to trot that rookie out there, but he's in year 5 of a 5 year deal without even one winning season under his belt. The dude is going to put the QB out there that gives him the best chance to win.

Look at Philly. New coach, new staff, and they have a QB they gave up almost as much to move up for as we did. Do you honestly think they don't realize that Bradford gives them a better chance to win? They do. But they figure that uber talented kid is going to take his lumps and get better week to week and when their program starts to come together the QB will be ready.

The best teacher for these guys is snaps. Coaches understand that. Unfortunately, not all of them are secure enough to weather a rookie learning on the job. Fisher is under pressure to win, no matter how cool he looks about it.