Why does Woods not score more TD'S

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's an interesting question @CoachAllred. And I attribute it to raw level of ability.

When you get down in the redzone DBs begin to play tighter in man. In zone as well they are closer with a smaller area they are responsible and the DBs can be not only more aggressive but also a little more physical. So IMO the guys who are favored in that situation at the wideout position are the ones who have something special to them. Big bodied types for example, who are difficult to slow or rub or who can use their bulk for positioning. Types who can bring high point ability (which also requires a QB who is willing to risk some of those throws to fully get use of that ability), big catch radius (this is JRey's biggest advantage IMO), or contested catching ability for example. Or guys who can get open very fast due to route excellence (Kupp or Van come to mind here).

But you also need to get your number called. So out of say 100 plays called in the redzone how many have given him an early read on a passing play? Remove the run plays and the plays where he's a later-than-second-read and there's your prime scoring WR opportunities. And from there does your QB trust you to get open quickly? Or does the QB tend to go to the guys who he trusts more there (in this case Kupp).

Woody is a technician type WR, a versatility piece more than he is a top threat 1vs1. He's a valuable piece you can do anything with, and as nice as that versatility is he's not going to be a guy who has the highest chance to beat a given DB in a small space. In the redzone you're gonna rub him on his early route and slow him with higher percentage of success than you will some other guys who have those other elements.

MauiRam

Rookie
If he can continue to make big plays which keep the chains moving and get us in the red zone, I've got no problem with how many tds he scores. He's an unselfish player and one hell of a blocker particularly given he's a medium sized wide receiver ..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His highest TD total was in 2018 with 6 TD's from 86 rec.
In my mind, if he pulls in 80+ balls, he should have at minimum of 7td's
He had a rushing TD in 2018, so Voila! 7 TD

Michael Thomas and Julio Jones are probably the 2 best WR in the game, and they each score a TD every 14-15 receptions. Woods, even with his paltry number last year, catches a TD every 18 receptions as a Ram. So basically what your question boils down to is why he didnt score a TD in the first 11 games last year.

In last 3 seasons, Thomas has 23 TD, Jones has 17, Woods 15.
Thomas played 48 games ( .48 TD) per game, Jones 47 games ( .36 TD per game) and Woods 43 games ( .35 TD per game)

Tano

Legend
Woods hardly scored any TDs last year because I had him in Fantasy Football last year

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Exactly bad news that's all this conversation is about.

I think most of us realize that his scoring production is not problem just a thing to discuss while we wait to die of boredom...

That being said, I had no doubt the members of ROD would break it down and come up with awesome thoughts
on the matter.I have taken the liberty of posting some of my favorite points. I could write a summation of these
points, but these "quotes" word it better than I could. I know I probably missed some good points, so please

forgive my missing them. ROD members know their effing football. Thank You Guys!

you have to outmuscle your guy more often than not and Woods ain’t exactly a big guy.

I read somewhere the Rams (2019) had more plays tackled at the 1 yd line than any other team (passing plays).

Kupp scores more I think because he's in the slot

Woods is a between the 20s king, because he gets lots of separation. But in the red zone, he isn't super tall,

as the field shrinks and strength (incl. size, leverage, power etc.) rules the field and becomes the primary reason for advancing the ball or stopping it.

McVay likes to through quick passes to the WR that's off ball and closer to midfield and the QB,

before last season when our Oline and RB broke down. The previous year we were the 2nd leading run team. If we aren't running its normally inside slants or crossing plays to RB or slot WR when around 10 yards out.

Woods is also used a lot as a decoy in RD zone

And from there does your QB trust you to get open quickly? Or does the QB tend to go to the guys who he trusts more there (in this case Kupp).
In the redzone you're gonna rub him on his early route and slow him with higher percentage of success than you will some other guys who have those other elements.

And this one Tano, was just too Damn funny to leave out :biggrin:

Woods hardly scored any TDs last year because I had him in Fantasy Football last year