Why does Woods not score more TD'S

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Before I ask this question, I just want to say, I have been a Robert woods fan since we signed him.
I mean the guy is a hell of a receiver.

The thing that I don't understand is ... Why does he not score more TD's. He has good open field running ability. I've seen him do some awesome stuff running jet sweeps, reverses, screens and after the catch.
I mean there is, at least in my mind, no reason he shouldn't be putting up 7-10 TD's a year.

I'm just curious as to you guys's thoughts, because I can't for the life of me figure out how he can catch 90 balls yet only score 2 rec TD's.
He has never put up good TD numbers throughout his career. His highest TD total was in 2018 with 6 TD's from 86 rec.
In my mind, if he pulls in 80+ balls, he should have at minimum of 7td's

Again this is not about me knocking him. It's just that Woods is a better than average athlete with running talent.
I'm just kind of stumped about it. Anybody?

Screenshot (1).jpg

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Woods eats chunks of yards but once we get inside the 10, McVay tends to utilize his backs and TEs more. It makes sense. Everything is more congested and there is less space, so you have to outmuscle your guy more often than not and Woods ain’t exactly a big guy. That’s my opinion anyway.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I read somewhere the Rams (2019) had more plays tackled at the 1 yd line than any other team (passing plays). And going back to Woods in that tight of set wouldn't have made sense. Give the ball to Brown and Gurley.

MachS

Hall of Fame
In 2017 he had 5 in 12 games and got hurt, almost certainly would've finished with 7 or so. 2018 he had 6 which is not bad at all. Last year he had 2 called back due to penalty and Gurley poached them both. I think one rushing and one receiving if I remember correctly. PLUS he got tackled at the 1yrd line once or twice too.

Hes going to average 5-8 TDs I'd say and thats fine for us. I think hes due to score a few big ones this year. Remember this offense isnt all about 1 WR, it spreads the ball around so there will never be a Calvin Johnson or Deandre Hopkins type year where they are force fed targets in the red zone and end up with 10+ TDs. Also Woods had 1 rushing TD each in 2018 and 2019.

Kupp scores more I think because he's in the slot and dominates the middle of the field, is a slightly better route runner, is bigger/stronger, and seems to be Jared's fav target. Jared likes throwing to the middle of the field...even when Kupp saw less snaps late last year due to more 2-TE sets, we kept Woods and Cooks on the field. Who started going off? Higbee running down the middle of the field.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Woods eats chunks of yards but once we get inside the 10, McVay tends to utilize his backs and TEs more. It makes sense. Everything is more congested and there is less space, so you have to outmuscle your guy more often than not and Woods ain’t exactly a big guy. That’s my opinion anyway.

Kupp had 10td's last year and has never scored less than 5. I know Kupp is a little more skilled after the catch,
but not 8 TD's better.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I read somewhere the Rams (2019) had more plays tackled at the 1 yd line than any other team (passing plays). And going back to Woods in that tight of set wouldn't have made sense. Give the ball to Brown and Gurley.

That's a very interesting stat about being tackled at the one.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
The Gurley or RB factor doesn't really apply.
Both Kupp and Woods had 90+ receptions last year

Kupp even in 2018 when he was injured managed 6TD's off of 40 receptions
kupp.png

Screenshot (3)kw.jpg

Last edited:

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Kupp had 10td's last year and has never scored less than 5. I know Kupp is a little more skilled after the catch,
but not 8 TD's better.
Well we can argue all sorts of variables. Such as defensive alignment. Ball spot. Position played etc. Woods had 7 TDS in 2018 and 3 last year. Our offense as a whole did not perform very well last year compared to 2018 so you can also make that case.

Anyway, Woods works best between the 20s so as long as he’s doing his job and setting up someone else for the TD I’m cool with him not having many TDs. His route running and ability to get open is his speacialty. Similarly how Isaac Bruce worked. Not many TDs but gets open for chunks of yards.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Well we can argue all sorts of variables. Such as defensive alignment. Ball spot. Position played etc. Woods had 7 TDS in 2018 and 3 last year. Our offense as a whole did not perform very well last year compared to 2018 so you can also make that case.

Anyway, Woods works best between the 20s so as long as he’s doing his job and setting up someone else for the TD I’m cool with him not having many TDs. His route running and ability to get open is his speacialty. Similarly how Isaac Bruce worked. Not many TDs but gets open for chunks of yards.

Young Ram, I appreciate your response. It's just kind of baffling to me. Maybe he is just due.
Like I said earlier, I love Woods and what he brings to the team.
He has too good of skills running in space, not to translate that into more TD's
I'm hoping he can breakout on the TD front this year.
Again Bro thanks for the responses.

Ram65

Legend
In 2017 he had 5 in 12 games and got hurt, almost certainly would've finished with 7 or so. 2018 he had 6 which is not bad at all. Last year he had 2 called back due to penalty and Gurley poached them both. I think one rushing and one receiving if I remember correctly. PLUS he got tackled at the 1yrd line once or twice too.

Hes going to average 5-8 TDs I'd say and thats fine for us. I think hes due to score a few big ones this year. Remember this offense isnt all about 1 WR, it spreads the ball around so there will never be a Calvin Johnson or Deandre Hopkins type year where they are force fed targets in the red zone and end up with 10+ TDs. Also Woods had 1 rushing TD each in 2018 and 2019.

Kupp scores more I think because he's in the slot and dominates the middle of the field, is a slightly better route runner, is bigger/stronger, and seems to be Jared's fav target. Jared likes throwing to the middle of the field...even when Kupp saw less snaps late last year due to more 2-TE sets, we kept Woods and Cooks on the field. Who started going off? Higbee running down the middle of the field.

This sounds like the best answer.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Woods is a between the 20s king, because he gets lots of separation. But in the red zone, he isn't super tall, and there is less places to run between guys, it seems.

EasyE

Starter
i always felt the same about Henry Ellard....dude was money between the 20's

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah I think he's 5 TD a year guy in this offense and that's fine. Its just the nature of the game.

It's interesting to me... the physical relationships between speed and strength on the football field.
Speed (and its related traits i.e. agility, evasiveness, etc.) is at its utmost premium at the 50 yard line and then declines in effectiveness in either direction as the field shrinks and strength (incl. size, leverage, power etc.) rules the field and becomes the primary reason for advancing the ball or stopping it.

4do24g.jpg

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Y'all are trying too hard. It's simple - it's a combination of Woods drawing the tougher CB in goal line situations and McVay not calling his number. Going back to when we had Watkins, if we couldn't jam it in with Gurley, McVay likes to through quick passes to the WR that's off ball and closer to midfield and the QB, which would be Kupp or a TE. Since Woody isn't a jump ball guy, he wasn't part of the scheme as much.

TexasRam

Legend
Y'all are trying too hard. It's simple - it's a combination of Woods drawing the tougher CB in goal line situations and McVay not calling his number. Going back to when we had Watkins, if we couldn't jam it in with Gurley, McVay likes to through quick passes to the WR that's off ball and closer to midfield and the QB, which would be Kupp or a TE. Since Woody isn't a jump ball guy, he wasn't part of the scheme as much.

To a large extent this is true in my opinion. The way Mcvay calls the red zone plays. We do alot of running and effective running around the goaline, especially before last season when our Oline and RB broke down. The previous year we were the 2nd leading run team. If we aren't running its normally inside slants or crossing plays to RB or slot WR when around 10 yards out. For those that havent noticed, this also affects Goff's numbers and perception. He doesn't get the gaudy TD pass numbers because we have been so run-centric and effective around the goaline. And why not be safe and run when you can.

But Woods does have the Julio curse to an extent. He draws some top CB's and mainly makes his payday due to what he does between the 20's. Look at Julio's TD numbers below, while considered may top 3 in the NFL, he doesn't score alot of TD's.

1599110709323.png

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

You are trying to hard.
Its because Todd Gurley was a TD machine in goal line situations.

Its definitely a combination of reasons and I think most of us realize that his scoring production is not problem just a thing to discuss while we wait to die of boredom...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woods is also used a lot as a decoy in RD zone
And as said prior is a heck of a blocker