Why do we have so many injuries?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We lost 2 lineman by throwing an INT - so I'm just gonna go ahead and say its all Nick Foles fault.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If you go back it is because this regime has depended on injury prone players.

Jake Long just couldn't stay healthy. He was good when fully healthy, but when a LT who can play hits the market that is usually why. Rams rolled the dice and got burned because the dude would of course get injured and then they had to start shuffling.

Then of course you have Saffold. Roger is another guy that cannot stay healthy but the team pays him well and depends on him every season. Even when he does play he is usually not 100 percent. It's unfortunate because the guy is good when he's not hurt. But of course who is the first starting OL to fall out? Saffold.

Bradford also single-handedly derailed two of Fisher's four seasons. Where Fish erred is he was so hell bent on avoiding a QB controversy that he never did make it a priority to have a backup who could carry this team forward if called upon. The dropoff was terrible.

This past draft they made a notable effort to focus on that with the OL they brought in. Of the four draftees only one--Donnal--had injury history of real note with the ACL. I think if they keep going that route it will help this team to get past that stuff. While you never know who will suffer an injury it is a certainty that some players are prone to it. Just avoid those guys, and cut the ones that you know you cannot depend on like Saffold.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
We've lost 'Tree, Havenstein, Brown, Long, Tru, Quinn and Saffold out of our starters. Gaines is the biggest key backup we've lost.
Compare that with other teams...

Pittsburgh has lost Ben Roethlisberger and Le'veon Bell, Ryan Shazier, James Harrison, Will Allen, Stephon Tuitt and Mike Vick at times this season.
Cleveland has lost Andrew Hawkins, Randy Starks, Josh McCown, Joe Haden, Donte Whitner and Joel Bitonio
The Giants have lost Prince Amukamara, Larry Donnell, Weston Richburg, Justin Pugh, Victor Cruz, Jon Beason
The Patriots - who are now 10-1 - have lost Edelman, Gronkowski, Solder, Ryan Wendell, Jamie Collins, Dion Lewis, Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Tarell Brown and Bryan Stork
Washington has lost, like, their whole team - Kerrigan, Hall, Knighton, Robinson, DJax, Culliver, Lichtensteiger, Trent Williams, Paea, Keenan Robinson...

There's some teams that have been brutally hit by injuries to Pro Bowl-caliber players. We've lost 'Tree for the season, Quinn and Long for a few games each, and Saffold for the season. We're not doing any worse than the rest of the NFL, by and large.

WvuIN02

Starter
Rams dont really have as many injuries as other teams have had, a team like Pittsburgh or Cleveland even puts the Rams to shame and in the Steelers case are somehow still in the playoff hunt. New England has had their OL decimated, and its no surprise teams like Cincy Denver and Minnesota are all doing well.

See this article:
http://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-week-11-games-missed-due-to-injury-and-iit-metrics-november-25-2015/

NFL-Week-11-Team-Games-Missed-Due-to-Injury-VS-Quality-Nov-25-2015.png

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just reviewed Ourlads.com injured reserve/pup list of all NFC teams. Rams are tied with the lowest number at 6 with the Panthers & Packers. There are 7 teams with 10 or more players on this list; lead by the Giants & Washington with 13 and 12 respectively.

Pittsburg has 15 players on IR/Pup list; 7 of which are offensive lineman. Texas has 5 OL on their IR list and there are several teams with 4 OL.

I know this does not include injuries that do not result in IR designation, but other teams have the same type of injuries/issues.

OK. Presently the Steelers do not have any OL'ers listed on their injury list.
http://www.steelers.com/team/injury-report.html

Are we discussing OL'ers or entire other unit IR designations? Looking at the current Steelers OL they have four of the original five starters in their lineup. Four have started all 11 games this season. They have one rookie starting who has been active all 11 games this season & started the last 5 games @ OT. I see little comparisons between the current Steeler OL with 4/5 of starters playing & starting with the Rams who have injuries to 3 opening season OL'er starters & two injuries to the next up back up starters.

In addition I was also speaking in some long term OL injury numbers....where my point included the words "if we went back a half decade." ;)

Have the Rams ever had 4/5's of their original OL starters playing going into wk 12 over the last five years?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
OK. Presently the Steelers do not have any OL'ers listed on their injury list.
http://www.steelers.com/team/injury-report.html

Are we discussing OL'ers or entire other unit IR designations? Looking at the current Steelers OL they have four of the original five starters in their lineup. Four have started all 11 games this season. They have one rookie starting who has been active all 11 games this season & started the last 5 games @ OT. I see little comparisons between the current Steeler OL with 4/5 of starters playing & starting with the Rams who have injuries to 3 opening season OL'er starters & two injuries to the next up back up starters.

In addition I was also speaking in some long term OL injury numbers....where my point included the words "if we went back a half decade." ;)

Have the Rams ever had 4/5's of their original OL starters playing going into wk 12 over the last five years?
I know that we haven't suffered the "most" injuries, but the OL unit over the past 5 yrs has been an issue. I don't know of any other team that loses 4/5 of their OL starters every yr.

WvuIN02

Starter
Bonifay what are you talking about?

Steelers have lost pro bowler Mike Pouncey, Mike Adams, and Kelvin Beachum to season ending ir. All three were starters. And they were good players, a much larger dropoff than the Rams losing rookies...its not even close. The chart from the link I posted above shows the Rams as one of the least injured teams. So I dont get the hand wringing, in Pittsburgh Tomlin's saying is "next man up", its how it is......fans just tend to not pay attention to other teams injuries. And they lost a pro bowl RB and ALL of their backup Qbs (Gradkowski and Vick both). Good teams find ways to recover, bad teams don't.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I know that we haven't suffered the "most" injuries, but the OL unit over the past 5 yrs has been an issue. I don't know of any other team that loses 4/5 of their OL starters every yr.
YEP! The O-line has been beat up for years. I don't get it either.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay what are you talking about?

Steelers have lost pro bowler Mike Pouncey, Mike Adams, and Kelvin Beachum to season ending ir. All three were starters. And they were good players, a much larger dropoff than the Rams losing rookies...its not even close. The chart from the link I posted above shows the Rams as one of the least injured teams. So I dont get the hand wringing, in Pittsburgh Tomlin's saying is "next man up", its how it is......fans just tend to not pay attention to other teams injuries. And they lost a pro bowl RB and ALL of their backup Qbs (Gradkowski and Vick both). Good teams find ways to recover, bad teams don't.

What are you talking about.....Plain as day......according to the official Pittsburgh Steelers site. They have 4 out of 5 opening season OL starters starting all 11 games & still starting. Its there in site in print. Research yourself if you do not believe me.:whistle:

http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html

Are you saying that Decastro who has been a starter for over 3 seasons, both Gilbert & Foster have been starters for over 4 seasons were not starters? OC Cody Wallace opened the regular season as the starting center & he is still there today starting.

Like I said the only present starter who did not open the season as a starter was
rookie OT Alejandro Villanuev who has started the last five games & has been active for all season.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I lost trust in the entire training staff for letting Keenum continue to play after that concussion. Also these same guys thought Rodger Saffold, Bradford and Jake Long were fine and healthy bodies. I would like a new training staff after this year.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Although we don't have as many injuries as some other contending teams this year, it does seem like more than a coincidence that we lose full units of players at once at one of the most important areas (O-line). I feel it's a combination of things such as conditioning (including the changes to practices league wide) and playing surface. I'm no turfacologist, but it seems like we play on a lot of bad surfaces in addition to our own.

WvuIN02

Starter
Sorry Bonifay but you're wrong. Go look at their transactions where guys are put on IR.

09/06/2015 Placed C Maurkice Pouncey on the team's Reserve/Injured; Designated for Return List; Signed C/G Doug Legursky. Pouncey had complications and wont be back this season after his surgery.

08/31/2015 Traded the Jacksonville Jaguars a 2016 sixth-round Draft Pick for K Josh Scobee; Placed OT Mike Adams on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List (Starting tackle headed into this year)

10/19/2015 Placed T/G Kelvin Beachum on the Reserve/Injured List; Signed T Byron Stingily.
  • (Beachum) 9/10 at New England: Started his third straight season-opening game on the offensive line…was part of an offensive line that helped block for the Steelers to have a 300-yard passer, 100-yard rusher and 100-yard receiver.
Im born into a ginormous Steelers family near PA, they and the Rams (the team I chose) I follow very closely. And oh yea they lost their kicker to season ending IR which cost them games too. Go read the article I posted, look at where the Rams are on that chart and where Pittsburgh. Rams are one of the FEWEST impacted by injuries in the NFL. People wanting to make that excuse have a long, long line to wait behind fans of other teams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sorry Bonifay but you're wrong. Go look at their transactions where guys are put on IR.

09/06/2015 Placed C Maurkice Pouncey on the team's Reserve/Injured; Designated for Return List; Signed C/G Doug Legursky. Pouncey had complications and wont be back this season after his surgery.

08/31/2015 Traded the Jacksonville Jaguars a 2016 sixth-round Draft Pick for K Josh Scobee; Placed OT Mike Adams on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List (Starting tackle headed into this year)

10/19/2015 Placed T/G Kelvin Beachum on the Reserve/Injured List; Signed T Byron Stingily.
  • (Beachum) 9/10 at New England: Started his third straight season-opening game on the offensive line…was part of an offensive line that helped block for the Steelers to have a 300-yard passer, 100-yard rusher and 100-yard receiver.
Im born into a ginormous Steelers family near PA, they and the Rams (the team I chose) I follow very closely. And oh yea they lost their kicker to season ending IR which cost them games too. Go read the article I posted, look at where the Rams are on that chart and where Pittsburgh. Rams are one of the FEWEST impacted by injuries in the NFL. People wanting to make that excuse have a long, long line to wait behind fans of other teams.
So if your correct then the information contain in the Pitts official site is incorrect? Those four current starting Steeler OL's listed did not have 11 starts each this season? Looks to me that the rookie OT Villenueva replaced Beachum in that starting line up, thus those other four were the original starters.

Last edited:

WvuIN02

Starter
Well two of them were lost either in game 1 or before the season. Beachum was lost early in October. So it make sense.

All my information is directly off of the Steelers official site. Just look at the transaction list and it shows everything. Rams are not even in the same universe of injuries as Pittsburgh. Hell, Rams have had their starting QB all year, but that QB has just been terrible. Pittsburgh has at various times had their top 3 out and have their 4th in Landry Jones playing..(his 2 interceptions vs seattle were game losing this week)...though in the case here it might have been for the best if Mannion was forced into that role considering what we have seen at the position this year.

Its just an excuse. You draft and develop talent so that you have depth. Teams that are good at this make it through injuries, and daresay even become better sometimes as they find diamonds in the rough. Bad teams use it as a crutch. Every year Fisher has been here its been the same old batch of excuses from the coaches and even fans. Rams are one of the fewest injured teams this year, so whats the excuse now.

To join the elite franchises you do what Tomlin has said: Next man up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tomlin is one of my favourite coaches.

No BS.

Mans man.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Rams dont really have as many injuries as other teams have had, a team like Pittsburgh or Cleveland even puts the Rams to shame and in the Steelers case are somehow still in the playoff hunt. New England has had their OL decimated, and its no surprise teams like Cincy Denver and Minnesota are all doing well.

See this article:
http://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-week-11-games-missed-due-to-injury-and-iit-metrics-november-25-2015/

NFL-Week-11-Team-Games-Missed-Due-to-Injury-VS-Quality-Nov-25-2015.png
Clearly it is important to note which players are injured and missing games.

As others point out, Pitt has had the same lineup on their OLine since week 1.

Cleveland's record is also worse than the Rams, so I am not surprised that they're suffering from more injuries.

When the Rams have a Brady class QB, they'll be able to better overcome OLine injuries too.