Why do we have so many injuries?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Year after year, we always seem to be near the top of the NFL as far as injuries go. I just don't understand it. How can 1 team have so many injuries for such a long stretch? Just on basic odds alone, we have been due for a light injury year for 10 years now.

On a separate note, and this may be frustration talking, but can someone teach JL to shed a block? I like the guy, always have, but good god, a MLB HAS to be able to shed blocks and meet the runner in the hole. It just seems like he never does that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I was going to post this last week. Every team has injuries...but i'm convinced our trainers suck.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think this is more bad luck than a poor job by the trainers. We are a very physical, hard hitting team and that lends itself to injuries.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
He was Spags guy too. It's still Rock.
Every team deals with injuries, and I bet if you look at the last 6-7 years, the Rams have had the most longer term injuries. Like I said in the vent thread, I hope there are some major changes with all facets of this franchise. From the front office all the way to trainers, etc., everyone should be put on notice their job is on the line. This team is obviously not doing things very well.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Injuries a part of the game. Good teams have good systems to keep winning. Bad teams don't. We don't.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think this is more bad luck than a poor job by the trainers. We are a very physical, hard hitting team and that lends itself to injuries.
True, but I'm pretty sure that when most fans like myself think "too many injuries" their thinking on the offensive side of the ball.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Our trainers are fine. It's just bad luck. Look at the injuries we have suffered, both this season and before. The majority are broken bones, torn and/or sprained ligaments, etc. That is very different from soft tissue damage to muscles where strength, conditioning, and stretching all play a big part in things. No trainer in the world could help Ogletree's bones be stronger so they could withstand the friendly fire he took from TJ McDonald, for example. If we had a team full of players suffering from chronic hamstring pulls I'd be more concerned.

And as other have mentioned, other teams have injuries too.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
If I'm not mistaken, trainers don't change with regimes. You rarely here about training staff changes.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
It does appear that the style of play of the Rams seems to cause more injuries. Maybe this is part of the coaching we are missing? Like the part about not making so many stupid penalties?
Or how to field an effective offense?
Has anyone looked at the statistics to see if we really do have more injuries than the average NFL team?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Year after year, we always seem to be near the top of the NFL as far as injuries go. I just don't understand it. How can 1 team have so many injuries for such a long stretch? Just on basic odds alone, we have been due for a light injury year for 10 years now.

On a separate note, and this may be frustration talking, but can someone teach JL to shed a block? I like the guy, always have, but good god, a MLB HAS to be able to shed blocks and meet the runner in the hole. It just seems like he never does that.

Seems odd doesn't it. Many freakish types of injuries. That lady who laid the curse on us did a good job. I was in awe watching us play Baltimore. Their Linebacker CJ Mosley was all over the place, unimpeded. I know Fisher liked him in the draft but he went with Robinson/Donald. I personally would have taken Matthews and then him Mosely. They were my choice.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Every team had injuries. Not every team has depth.

The better teams have better depth. They don't collapse with one seirious injury. Teams that don't draft well don't have that depth and collapse. Dallas are a good example of this.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Overall our 2015 Ram injuries are on par or close to what other teams have dealt with, with the exception in the offensive line. This particular unit is off the charts in comparison to other teams if we went back a half decade.

I have no ideal or answers here as to why but having a player like Rodger Saffold as your top performer highest paid leader in the OL would be a fine place to start. Paul Boudreau has had 6 major injuries to his OL thus far and we still have five weeks to go yet. PB has burned through his entire 10 player reserve unit & drained the practice squad & the WWC streets units to back feed his unit.

Saffold was the 1st to lead the injury parade & departed for the IR & his 2nd shoulder reconstruction in less than one yr. Then 2nd there was the Achilles injury to ORT Rob Havenstein, then 3rd the broken leg & IR of starter Jamon Brown, then 4th the dislocated wrist & IR of top reserve OT Darrell Williams, then the 5th & 2nd injury to the calf of starter Rob Havenstein to go with his ailing Achilles, then the 6th MCI injury to 4th OT now starting ORT Andrew Donnal.

If PB is here next season he will have a more experienced unit than when he started this season. PB has major issues @ the most crucial OL post OLT. I would say this if PB enters the 2016 season with a OL'er like Saffold being his main leader & player as a starter he should be fired on the spot. Saffold no longer merits starting material considerations.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

Overall our 2015 Ram injuries are on par or close to what other teams have dealt with, with the exception in the offensive line. This particular unit is off the charts in comparison to other teams if we went back a half decade.

Just reviewed Ourlads.com injured reserve/pup list of all NFC teams. Rams are tied with the lowest number at 6 with the Panthers & Packers. There are 7 teams with 10 or more players on this list; lead by the Giants & Washington with 13 and 12 respectively.

I have no ideal or answers here as to why but having a player like Rodger Saffold as your top performer highest paid leader in the OL would be a fine place to start. Paul Boudreau has had 6 major injuries to his OL thus far and we still have five weeks to go yet. PB has burned through his entire 10 player reserve unit & drained the practice squad & the WWC streets units to back feed his unit.

Pittsburg has 15 players on IR/Pup list; 7 of which are offensive lineman. Texas has 5 OL on their IR list and there are several teams with 4 OL.

I know this does not include injuries that do not result in IR designation, but other teams have the same type of injuries/issues.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
...or at least, one of the teams least-impacted by injuries. Here's their explanation of the calculations:

What is IIT? How is it calculated for the NFL?
Injury Impact To Team (IIT) is a single-value metric that attempts to quantify the impact of a player not playing for their team. It weights injured players and their time missed based on their value to their team and the proportion of their teams’ games that they’ve missed.

IIT utilizes a player’s number of games missed due to injury, their past season Approximate Value metric (AV metric as calculated by Pro-Football-Reference.com) and the number of games played by their team.

A higher IIT number equals a greater impact of missing players to the team. A high IIT value for a player reflects a high number of games missed due to injury, a high AV value, or a combination of both. The exact number is not as important as the basic range, versus other players. This is the case with most statistics in the analytics of sport performance.

NFL IIT-av = (Approximate Value x PlayerGamesInjured) / (16 x TeamGamesPlayed)

What injury and IIT calculations do you make for the NFL? What are they?

• Out (Team Reported) – Team reported cumulative count of players who did not play in a game that had been previously reported as probable, questionable, or doubtful.
  • IR (Team Reported) – Team reported cumulative count of games missed per player who were listed by a team as being on injured reserve.
  • PUP (Team Reported) – Team reported cumulative count of games missed per player reported as physically unable to play by their team.
  • SUS (Team Reported) – Team reported cumulative count of games missed by players due to suspension.
  • Total Injured – Sum of Out, IR, and PUP counts for a player/team. It excludes games missed by suspended players.
  • IIT-avtotal – Sum of IIT-passer, IIT-rushrec, IIT-defense, IIT-kicker for a player or a team
  • IIT-passer – IIT calculation for players with at least one pass attempt
  • IIT-rushrec – IIT calculation for players with at least one rushing or receiving attempt
  • IIT-defense – IIT calculation for players with at least one defensive action
  • IIT-kicker – IIT calculation for players with at least one kick or punt attempt

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The football gods hate the sh!t out of us. That's all I've got.

FRO

Legend
Because we have the curse of Warner on our team. When Warner is on our roster our record is:
59-37

Our record with him off our roster in St Louis is:
79-156