Why are we 6 points underdog to Carolina?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Ram_of_Old said:
I saw a recent NFL line chart and was floored...

Because betting lines are not predictions of outcomes, they are just trying to get as many bets on one side as the other.

If the betting populace thinks the Panthers are better, that's where they set the line. It's not reality, it's a popularity contest trying to project what the betters are most likely to believe based on what they hear or see in the media and past betting tendencies.

WvuIN02

Starter
3rd best defense in the league in Carolina right now at home probably has a lot to do with it.

Plus I dont think anyone is giving the Rams much with wins over Jax and a Texans team in freefall. The 49ers blowout is still going to be in a lot of people's minds and will take some wins vs good teams to change the perception. Hopefully the Rams can use that as motivation.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Personally, this one is going to be tough to call.

The Rams have played well but against poor teams. The Panthers have been hot and cold.

Then again, the Jags were better than billed because Blackmon was back and the Panthers blew out the Giants and Vikings, neither of which is that impressive. They lost to the Cards who the Rams beat.

I'm going with Rams by 3 in a low scoring affair.

V3

Hall of Fame
WvuIN02 said:
3rd best defense in the league in Carolina right now at home probably has a lot to do with it.

Plus I dont think anyone is giving the Rams much with wins over Jax and a Texans team in freefall. The 49ers blowout is still going to be in a lot of people's minds and will take some wins vs good teams to change the perception. Hopefully the Rams can use that as motivation.

This.

A55VA6

Legend
Wasn't the Texans the best D in the league and we did just fine? We handled JJ Watt perfectly.

I think if we play the same football we can beat the Panthers in their house. 2 road wins in a row would be huge. starting 1-3 going to 4-3 would be a huge step

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
iced said:
home teams are usually favored in toss ups

Home field is only worth 3 pts. So where did the other 3 come from?

It probably came from a national audience watching the Rams stink it up against the Niners in St.Louis.

It was interesting to hear Ross Tucker say that he moved the Rams up more than any other team in his power rankings because he actually watches and pays attention to what the Rams are doing. He said he likes what he sees from the running back and the QB now. It's a different team. He moved them up to 18 overall and he has the Panthers at 25.

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
max said:
iced said:

It probably came from a national audience watching the Rams stink it up against the Niners in St.Louis.

It was interesting to hear Ross Tucker say that he moved the Rams up more than any other team in his power rankings because he actually watches and pays attention to what the Rams are doing. He said he likes what he sees from the running back and the QB now. It's a different team. He moved them up to 18 overall and he has the Panthers at 25.

That is my question also. I think the fact that we were able to get out of Houston with 0 sacks is a huge factor. Cam Newton can be dangerous, but I don't see a good reason for six points. I think the line will tighten as the week goes on.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Ram_of_Old said:
max said:
iced said:

That is my question also. I think the fact that we were able to get out of Houston with 0 sacks is a huge factor. Cam Newton can be dangerous, but I don't see a good reason for six points. I think the line will tighten as the week goes on.
21-10 rams

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
V3 said:
WvuIN02 said:

This.

Yup that.

The Texans have lost 4 in a row and have looked really bad in each of those games starting with the second half collapse against SEA. The story isn't so much the Rams beating them it's HOU falling on their face this past 4 weeks.

If the Rams win this game, and I think they will, then at 4-3 people will give some respect.

A 3-3 team that got to that record the way the Rams did isn't going to get much respect. They haven't looked all that impressive.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
LesBaker said:
V3 said:
WvuIN02 said:

This.

Yup that.

The Texans have lost 4 in a row and have looked really bad in each of those games starting with the second half collapse against SEA. The story isn't so much the Rams beating them it's HOU falling on their face this past 4 weeks.

If the Rams win this game, and I think they will, then at 4-3 people will give some respect.

A 3-3 team that got to that record the way the Rams did isn't going to get much respect. They haven't looked all that impressive.
If we win we will hear about what's wrong with the Panthers

iced

Rabid Ram said:
If we win we will hear about what's wrong with the Panthers

Lol right? I bet we will.

but hey - maybe the hype machine would get rollin' with the next date in prime time against seattle

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If we can beat someone impressively, some of this may change. Beating Jacksonville? meh. The way we beat Texas was impressive in respects but it was also one of those games that you really can't glean much from. Losing like we did to Dallas and the frickin whiners will stick with you for a while and rightfully so.

I think we will see better play from the Rams and we will win in Carolina but we need to start showing sustainable play.

RamzFanz

Damnit
A win against Carolina would be cool.

A win against Seattle would reset expectations for the rest of the season.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
max said:
iced said:

I think Seattle would disagree with the 3pt comment. But they are probably the exception.

Carolina does have a really good D. In fact only given up 65 points so far in 5 games. That's pretty damn good.
And they do have a pretty good offense as well. Our achilles heel is stopping the run and they do it well.

So we have a tough test. I know we beat Texas pretty good but I don't expect to have 3 TD's on 112 yards passing again this week. So we need to have some luck, get some TO's and play sound football. Plus, keeping Cam from getting easy yards with his feet will be key, IMO.

tonyl711

Starter
who cares what the line is? hopefully it pisses the Rams off that they are underdogs every week. they took a Texans team that was reeling and did what they were supposed to do, keep them reeling, they played Jax and did what they were supposed to do, they beat them. the first 4 games IMO you cant expect much from them, they are a very young team that plays ALOT of rookies, then throw in Atl San Fran and Dallas at all those youngsters in the first 4 games of their NFL carrers and you expect them to win?

Anonymous

26th ranked offense vs top D.

12th ranked scoring O vs 2nd ranked scoring D.

39th ranked run vs 3rd ranked run D.

On the other hand:

26th overall D vs 29th O

30th run D vs 7th run 0.

Panthers are at home.

No ideas as to why the Panthers are favored?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Joat said:

On the other hand:

26th overall D vs 29th O

30th run D vs 7th run 0.

Panthers are at home.

Well, sure. When you rank the Rams' run offense 39th out of 32 teams... :shifty:

iced

Joat said:

On the other hand:

26th overall D vs 29th O

30th run D vs 7th run 0.

Panthers are at home.

So now Cam Newton has thrown 115 Td's and the Rams have the 39th ranked run...

:sly: :lol: :lol: