Who's your next hire for HC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who's your next hire for HC?

• Sean Peyton (w/ Comp and don't care amount)

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Ron Rivera w/ Norv Turner (W/ Comp and don't care amount)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • The Shanahan's

Votes: 40 61.5%
  • Boy Wonder McDaniels

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Anthony Lynn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other- Please post name

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
mike-holmgren.jpg

If he's up to it and didn't want personnel control.

You know, at this point I'd be good even with an old dog like Holmgren. That's how desperate I am to see this offense get some real coaching.

But then again Holmgren is probably a better fit in the front office. Cushier job, and he'd lend us intelligence and connections to most of the brightest offensive minds in this league.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Random thought s on the things I like about the Shanahan's.... is they appear on the surface to be the right coaching types that could get our most valuable commodity Jared Goff going in the right direction because right now he is :help:. The father/son duo together would bring a special working duo at the top of the coaching headquarters. Mike has done fair to good with his drafts & has been great in finding low end RB's who produce. The young Kyle has the wise old father to provide some guidance if needed. Kyle would also have a younger smaller slightly less talented version of a Matt Ryan type QB to work with. So there are some attractiveness here to these two.

The down side to the Shanahan's is the type of OL blocking scheme (ZBS) :cautious::unsure::notsure:goes against the grain of the youth & talent known in this OL unit not sure how many can be real effective with Shanahan's OL. Most are massive PZS types. I think 3 might make the conversion to full ZBS ....Saffold, Rhaney & Murphy but that's about it. That's a big do over in the OL right off the get go.

I think if one were to lay odds on these guys Kyle Shanahan would be the clear leader. No doubt about it, and with good reason. McDaniels would probably come in second, between those two guys it would probably be a matter of how well they interview. Then the rest of the coordinator types with the offensive guys having the edge.

Re: Mike Shanahan I wonder if he's ready to be a GM. I tend to think so but the RGIII trade lends some doubt there.

Re: the OL remember that the ZBS can work with smaller OL who are more athletic and those types tend to not go in the early rounds. So it's not insurmountable to add one in this draft plus add a FA. Also, Brown has very good mobility and though I hate to say it so does GRob regardless of whether he's at OT or OG. So what they'll do is bring in a couple key pieces and let the competition in camp determine slotting.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I voted Shanahans, but their ZBS and 3-4 defense worries me. Will we have, or be able to acquire, the right pieces?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted Shanahans, but their ZBS and 3-4 defense worries me.

The ZBS is an absolute advantage. We'll have Gurley gashing teams next year if they hire Shanny.

The 3-4 defense, on the other hand, is definitely a bone of contention. If he rolls into the interview talking about Donald playing two gap at a 3-4 end position I would not hire him.

Oh and btw McDaniels might do the same thing with his Patriots background. If his choice for DC is one of the positional coaches there it would not surprise me if he tried to sell a 3-4 to the Rams in his interview.

Still hoping to hear news break soon re: Payton though. They gotta be talking compensation right now.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
The ZBS is an absolute advantage. We'll have Gurley gashing teams next year if they hire Shanny.

The 3-4 defense, on the other hand, is definitely a bone of contention. If he rolls into the interview talking about Donald playing two gap at a 3-4 end position I would not hire him.

Oh and btw McDaniels might do the same thing with his Patriots background. If his choice for DC is one of the positional coaches there it would not surprise me if he tried to sell a 3-4 to the Rams in his interview.

Still hoping to hear news break soon re: Payton though. They gotta be talking compensation right now.
Payton would be my second choice, please no Mickey D.
Will Shanny be able to make a ZBS work with the pieces we have now, or do you envision a complete re-tool of this mess of a line?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Not Asshole Face, please.

The pick compensation alone is a deal breaker for me.

And he's another one dimensional HC. The mirror image of Fisher, actually. Strong O mind but clueless regarding D matters.

Haven't we learned our lesson with one dimensional HC's? I sure have.

My current favorite candidate is Chris Petersen, if he's even interested.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will Shanny be able to make a ZBS work with the pieces we have now, or do you envision a complete re-tool of this mess of a line?

I think so. His Dad's lines got it done with smaller OL who have mobility and Gurley is an ideal back for it. If they get Shanny I think they add a FA and draft a center to round out the unit.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not Asshole Face, please.

The pick compensation alone is a deal breaker for me.

And he's another one dimensional HC. The mirror image of Fisher, actually. Strong O mind but clueless regarding D matters.

Haven't we learned our lesson with one dimensional HC's? I sure have.

My current favorite candidate is Chris Petersen, if he's even interested.

Petersen stayed at Boise in the face of offers from bigger colleges. He selected Washington, has only been there 2 seasons, and his kid is nearby. What makes you think we could get him? He is a longer shot than Harbaugh man.

And who are your options who are so superior to Payton? Who would you hire when Petersen says no?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Ditto. A 3-4 is an absolute deal breaker for me, especially with a guy like Donald on the roster.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would think that the Shanahan's might go with the 43 D without too much of an issue in 2017 season with the DL cadre already in tow. No way would you field a 34 D in 2017 .....reason being with a defensive unit absent of any 34 OLB'ers pass rushers/ tweeners that make it work.....none are anywhere in sight.

They would have to rebuild the OL immediately & then on top of that having to deal with a defense front seven change in a 34 would be suicidal right off the bat. Just plain wrong!

Zero

Pro Bowler

Merlin & @PowayRamFan ,
Just curious.What makes you guys certain that if Kyle is the HC that he will
want to install the 3-4.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I would think that the Shanahan's might go with the 43 D without too much of an issue in 2017 season with the DL cadre already in tow. No way would you field a 34 D in 2017 .....reason being with a defensive unit absent of any 34 OLB'ers pass rushers/ tweeners that make it work.....none are anywhere in sight.

They would have to rebuild the OL immediately & then on top of that having to deal with a defense front seven change in a 34 would be suicidal right off the bat. Just plain wrong!

Hope you are right.We have enough to do to get our offense on the right track without
having to retool the defense with 3-4 personnel.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Petersen stayed at Boise in the face of offers from bigger colleges. He selected Washington, has only been there 2 seasons, and his kid is nearby. What makes you think we could get him? He is a longer shot than Harbaugh man.

And who are your options who are so superior to Payton? Who would you hire when Petersen says no?

Excellent question, Merlin.

First, you are probably right. Petersen is happy at Washington, and probably wouldn't be interested. Some of my other favorites are also college coaches that are happy where they are, as well, and unlikely to be interested.

Saban
Urban Meyer
Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

But I would still make a hard run at them, anyway. Saban was rumored to have been interested in the Giant job, btw. So there is that. I mean, how many college championships does he need to make his point?

After the above, I would probably start interviewing a few retreads and then the whiz kid coordinators.

What I SHOULD do is hire my GM first and then let HIM interview and hire the damned HC. Lol.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Merlin & @PowayRamFan ,
Just curious.What makes you guys certain that if Kyle is the HC that he will
want to install the 3-4.
Not certain he would run it, that's just the track record. Would hope he would hire a DC that could get the most out of what we currently have. I don't think having a rebuild on defense is smart at this point, what with the offense almost certainly being torn down and rebuilt.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not certain he would run it, that's just the track record. .

Well, sir that is the track record for Mike Shanahan, however, Kyle has been under the 3-4 scheme in Houston, Washington & Cleveland until the last two years being in a 4-3 scheme. The 3-4 would be tough to run with the fact the Rams don't have linebackers. One would surmise they would stick with the 4-3, but you never know, however, the one factor is that Mike Shanahan did not get good results with the 3-4 in Washington so they might be more open to the 4-3 alignment.

However, in the end, it will be who they hire as Defensive Coordinator which will dictate what scheme, however, the way things are nowadays, many DC's run variations of many different schemes.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sean McVay is my choice. Is he young? Absolutely. But he simply commands respect from people who are older than he is because he's one of the most intelligent people they've worked for.