Who's your next hire for HC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who's your next hire for HC?

• Sean Peyton (w/ Comp and don't care amount)

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Ron Rivera w/ Norv Turner (W/ Comp and don't care amount)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • The Shanahan's

Votes: 40 61.5%
  • Boy Wonder McDaniels

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Anthony Lynn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other- Please post name

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
After the Ravens bitter loss to the Steelers, it is very possible the Ravens and John Harbaugh could part ways and if somehow the Rams could find the right GM with John Harbaugh I could handle a Harbaugh as Head Coach and the calmer one, who has won a Super Bowl too.

I know this has come about on some boards and maybe they won't part ways, but I have a feeling they will and of course one has to wonder, who they have their eye on?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The ZBS is an absolute advantage. We'll have Gurley gashing teams next year if they hire Shanny.

The 3-4 defense, on the other hand, is definitely a bone of contention. If he rolls into the interview talking about Donald playing two gap at a 3-4 end position I would not hire him.

Oh and btw McDaniels might do the same thing with his Patriots background. If his choice for DC is one of the positional coaches there it would not surprise me if he tried to sell a 3-4 to the Rams in his interview.

Still hoping to hear news break soon re: Payton though. They gotta be talking compensation right now.

You don't have to play the 3/4 end as a 2 gap. It's typical, but they don't do that with JJ Watt because he's just too disruptive a force to make him a space eater. So they put him rarely in the 3, but often in the 5 or 7 and occasionally in the 9 with an ILB standing up in the 5 or 3.

I'm gonna just let the new coach...coach. I think AD is best as a 3 technique in a 4/3, but if a new HC and DC want to get creative and use him as a wild card DE like JJ Watt...then I can't say that it'd bother me all that much. As long as they don't do to AD what Todd Haley did to Glenn Dorsey when he became the HC of KC and take a 3 technique and put him at NT AND then be an ass about it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Excellent question, Merlin.

First, you are probably right. Petersen is happy at Washington, and probably wouldn't be interested. Some of my other favorites are also college coaches that are happy where they are, as well, and unlikely to be interested.

Saban
Urban Meyer
Shaw
Jim Harbaugh

But I would still make a hard run at them, anyway. Saban was rumored to have been interested in the Giant job, btw. So there is that. I mean, how many college championships does he need to make his point?

After the above, I would probably start interviewing a few retreads and then the whiz kid coordinators.

What I SHOULD do is hire my GM first and then let HIM interview and hire the damned HC. Lol.

I'm all-in with that list you put up. But, yeah, they're probably all going to pass, which is why the Rams are cookin the coordinators so hard now by all reports and rumors.

And my point in my response to you is that with those coordinators many of them are going to be strong on one side of the ball but not the other at first. Just like Payton has been. So I'm not going to allow that to influence getting the right guy at the right time in here, because what is important is turning the offense around quickly without having to rebuild the defense. This is why, barring one of those rockstar types you list above signing on, they're gonna have to bring in a strong offensive mind.

Payton did produce a good defense in one season, too, btw. They were 20th in points allowed, but among league leaders in turnovers and the two units played well together. That was a very good team with a dynamic and explosive offense. So he's done it. And he's wiser now, I am sure, than he was.

And again for the record, I'm not gonna complain if they just go get Shanahan, or McDaniels, or McVay etc. Any of those guys might be the next Asshole Face and I'll get behind them. I just think the wisest move would be to call the Saints, get the trade worked out, and put a guy in place who will give this team a bona fide leader they know can do the job. Pay him big bucks, build the entire thing around him with a complementary GM, etc., just like the Niners did back in the day with Walsh. And, sure, if the Saints are stupid as I guess they might be, then go the route of Shanny, McD, etc., and do the same thing.

Lastly, hiring the GM makes immense sense. But it's pretty clear that's not the route Kroenke wants to go, he seems to favor the Belichick model with the coach at the center of everything. That's a whole conversation in itself tbh, and one I am sure we agree on.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Apparently dodgersrf has a different opinion than Jay Glazer himself lol.
Lol.
Yeah. When he said it he was talking about the Rams in an interview. I thought he may have gotten his wires crossed. Thought it was funny at the time....followed by pure horror hoping it wasn't true.

FRO

Legend
Lol.
Yeah. When he said it he was talking about the Rams in an interview. I thought he may have gotten his wires crossed. Thought it was funny at the time....followed by pure horror hoping it wasn't true.
In my opinion Linehan was clearly the worst of the Linehan, Spags, Fisher trio. I don't even think it's close. He has no business being a HC.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm all-in with that list you put up. But, yeah, they're probably all going to pass, which is why the Rams are cookin the coordinators so hard now by all reports and rumors.

The problem with this method is that being a great college coach guarantees you nothing in regards to being a good NFL head coach. Look at Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Lou Holtz, Dennis Erickson, etc.

I'd take a shot on a proven NFL HC before I'd take a shot on a top college HC.

Not Asshole Face, please.

The pick compensation alone is a deal breaker for me.

And he's another one dimensional HC. The mirror image of Fisher, actually. Strong O mind but clueless regarding D matters.

Haven't we learned our lesson with one dimensional HC's? I sure have.

Super Bowl Champion
Won 59.5% of his regular season games in the NFL
Won 60% of his playoff games in the NFL
100-69 career record as a NFL Head Coach
Offense ranked in the top 10 in points scored in 8 out of his 10 years as a HC
Offense ranked in the top 10 in yards per game in 10 out of his 10 years as a HC
Offense ranked top 2 in points scored in 4 out of his 10 years as a HC
Offense ranked top 2 in yards per game in 7 out of his 10 years as a HC

Give me that one-dimensional head coach any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If Asshole Face were the mirror image of Fisher, Fisher would still be employed here.

Asshole Face is your typical NFL HC. He knows one side of the ball. He knows that side of the ball as well as anyone in the NFL. Unlike Fisher, he lets his DCs completely handle the other side of the ball.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In my opinion Linehan was clearly the worst of the Linehan, Spags, Fisher trio. I don't even think it's close. He has no business being a HC.

I think your wrong .He made some bad choices , but Bulger was not the answer.
His contract was killer. Ty Hill pick was the worst. The Rams letting Brucego was bad.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The problem with this method is that being a great college coach guarantees you nothing in regards to being a good NFL head coach. Look at Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Lou Holtz, Dennis Erickson, etc.

I'd take a shot on a proven NFL HC before I'd take a shot on a top college HC.

This is true. But of course you can say being a great coordinator guarantees nothing and that would be true as well.

I'll say this: I want two things in our new head coach:

1. A great leader. This is a guy who walks into a room and everyone knows he runs things. Type of guy who players want to play for. It's a feel thing, but it is crucial, and many of the Head Coaching whiffs in hiring could be avoided by ensuring this box is checked. Interestingly, of the coordinator types the two whose leadership I think are best are Cooter and McVay, both of whom are probably 3rd and 4th or thereabouts on the Rams' list. Cooter in particular, if you watch his interviews or vids of him coaching, just has it.

2. A great offensive mind. It has to be someone who gives us an edge on offense. Last year offensive minds were snapped up in all 7 job openings and teams know you can't hold onto these guys if they have a chance to be one of those rare offensive gameplanners. For me this is a requirement, and while I'd still look at defensive guys they'd have to blow me away to be considered above someone who gives me an offensive edge, because I want to see return on the investments I have made through the draft on that side of the ball.

I believe if they focus on those two things and build it around the coach things are going to be just fine.

EDIT: just realized you said proven head coach above and I agree with you on that. Which is why I do think they need to move on Payton and get that done. I suspect we might start seeing more reports on that here real soon, if the Saints do indeed want to get out from under his big contract.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
NICK SABAN!! And here is why:
* I don't consider him an Offensive or Defensive Coach! He's a Head Coach!!
* He will bring in the Best Possible OC and DC and ST Coach's!
* He goes deep into his game planning against opponents. He'll go back Years looking at an opposing HC's scheming!
* He gets the Best out of his players! And they know he knows his shit!!
* It would be his second time around in the NFL, so he wouldn't be like just another College Coach trying to make it in the NFL!

IF he wants to come back to the NFL, He would be worth the Cost, and I'd give him whatever power he wants!! JMHO! ( after 66 Seasons as a Fan!)

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would call the Giants and ask them what happen w/ Nicky before they announced McAdoo. Isn't he too much of an dictator for the NFL these days vs. back when he was coaching in the NFL.

Can anyone speak on Saban back in the day before he ran to collage?

Now Saban can coach but my question is can he relate to the players and calm down enough to have players resign under his watch