Who will return punts and kickoffs this season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0655163367740153703-4

Alden Gonzalez, ESPN Staff Writer

It's no certainty that Tavon Austin will return punts this year. Sean McVay said special teams coordinator John Fassel is keeping it open, though Austin and Pharoh Cooper are the main guys under consideration.

On Austin, McVay said: "Any time you've got a guy like that who can create with the ball in his hands, you want to be able to create those opportunities. But I know there's other players in place that can do that, as well."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It could be Pharoh Cooper although I would not count out Tavon, that is part of his game which is outstanding and DeSean Jackson still returned punts for the Skins. BTW don't count out Cooper Kupp either, so in essense, it will be Austin or a Cooper.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It could be Pharoh Cooper although I would not count out Tavon, that is part of his game which is outstanding and DeSean Jackson still returned punts for the Skins. BTW don't count out Cooper Kupp either, so in essense, it will be Austin or a Cooper.
I say put them both Kupp and Tavon back their and let the opposing Team pick there poison!!
I like Tavon on Punt returns. But Kupp has the hands and the moves too! Sometime Tavon's ' Stutter-Step' when he first gets the ball, scares the shit out of me! And not in a good way!!

Ram65

Legend
I would stay with Tavon. It's good to have the competition so one of the Cooper's is ready if Tavon gets injured.

Sometime Tavon's ' Stutter-Step' when he first gets the ball, scares the crap out of me! And not in a good way!!

I think he takes a while to see the field. Some guys can see the field as they are catching the ball. Tavon has to concentrate on catching the ball. It's better than a fumble but, it wastes time. He is not moving forward. Still he was 11th in YPR and attempted a good percentage (73%) of opportunities.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=PR&sort=pravg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dunbar will return kick offs, IMHO...22.3 career average with Cowboys.
Possibly but if they want him to be a true #2 they may alleviate him the special teams duty. Cooper could end up being 5th or 6th on the WR chart and a prime candidate to return.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Possibly but if they want him to be a true #2 they may alleviate him the special teams duty. Cooper could end up being 5th or 6th on the WR chart and a prime candidate to return.

Benny was number two and still returned kick offs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Benny was number two and still returned kick offs.
Different head coach. I'm not saying Cooper is or will be the return guy. I could see it happening though as I don't think he'll get a lot of offensive snaps. Plus when he did returns last year he was damned good at both of them and Bones will remember that.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Plus when he did returns last year he was damned good at both of them and Bones will remember that.

I agree, he could to double duty to justify being active on game day because with Woods, Austin, Kupp & Reynolds I concur that Cooper won't see many offensive snaps and seem to handle the duties well last season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mike Thomas....dude is a daredevil out there....But if I had to bet....maybe a new guy....who was that lil wr from Hawaii? I want Tavon to focus on the offense.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keep in mind that Horne returned Kick offs only, Az-Zahir Hakim was the punt returner.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. My memory hasn't fogged over that much. But he is still classified as a "returner." :) So I will alter the title of this thread accordingly.

tumblr_n8o5jlIbqk1s36jdbo1_500.gif

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It has to be Tavon. He's the best punt returner we've ever had. Should have about 6 for TDs. Which would put him top 10 all time ALREADY. I don't see taking him off the field for that. I agree about Dunbar. It will be him and P.Cooper back there returning kicks.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It has to be Tavon. He's the best punt returner we've ever had. Should have about 6 for TDs. Which would put him top 10 all time ALREADY. I don't see taking him off the field for that. I agree about Dunbar. It will be him and P.Cooper back there returning kicks.

Best PR we've ever had? Seriously?

Hell, I'm not sure he's even the best PR on this current roster, Legatron. Lol.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Keep in mind that Horne returned Kick offs only, Az-Zahir Hakim was the punt returner.
That's a great pair of returner's!! So between Kupp and Austin, who would you have filling the Horne Roll and who fills the Hakim Roll!?! :shades:THAT'S THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION!!:D