Who needs to step up to make this defense elite?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The offense definitely needs to step up to help the defense. As far as the defense itself though, I am looking at Tree. This is a big job he's taking on and a huge key for the defense. If he is able to step into the signal calling role AND be an impact player, this defense will have gone to the next level. Our line has talent and depth, as does our secondary IMO. Barron will be Barron and Ayers is decent. If Tree makes calls and reads like I think he can, watch out!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Alec Ogletree. He is stepping into a leadership role. We will see how he responds.

I think this year will be seen as the breakout year for a historically good defense. The next 5-7 years this defense will be great. In addition to Donald, one or two other HOF players will emerge.

Agree on Ogletree. If he plays at an elite level in his new position, the quality difference between him and Laurinaitis may be the most noticeable observation we fans observe on D this season.

After seeing Fletcher Cox's new contract, I have to wonder whether the Rams will be able to retain Brockers, that 5 - 7 year prediction might be tested, ... Donald is the guy deserving of a like minded contract, and we can't afford 2 starting DT's desiring top 5 money imo. Fortunately, we have already tied up Barron for 5 years, and depending on Ogletree's 2016 season, he may be next in line for big money, although his 5'th year option doesn't make him a Free Agent until 2018, same with Tavon Austin on the other side of the field. Of course, we still have Tru sitting on his Franchise contract, so getting him signed long term is another unknown scenario waiting to play out. Brockers and TJ McDonald are the top defensive starters who enter free agency next season, and while we'll be in a good CAP position, it will come down to whether the Rams are likely to pay top dollar, and guys like Janoris Jenkins and McCleod witnessed the Rams refusing to overpay. jmo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My first thought was, TJ & Ogletree. The best players in the backend. I know Donald is gonna bring it. But, I think all these guys are going to play solid. Quinn too. With that said, I'm more concerned of hte unknowns...players like Mo Alexander & EJ Gaines...They'll need to step up and play well. If Mo doesn't start, then Christian Bryant at FS....Whew, big jump for the ex-buckeye...
I have NO concerns, 0 for the Defensive Line...
After seeing Fletcher Cox's new contract, I have to wonder whether the Rams will be able to retain Brockers
Not hating on Brockers, but he's no Cox. Not even close....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My first thought was, TJ & Ogletree. The best players in the backend. I know Donald is gonna bring it. But, I think all these guys are going to play solid. Quinn too. With that said, I'm more concerned of hte unknowns...players like Mo Alexander & EJ Gaines...They'll need to step up and play well. If Mo doesn't start, then Christian Bryant at FS....Whew, big jump for the ex-buckeye...
I have NO concerns, 0 for the Defensive Line...

Agree completely, although by comparison, JJ & McLeod, imo, did not compare to the top players at their positions either, and look how they were paid.

A55VA6

Legend
For 1, we need a healthy defense. Quinn, Donald, Barron, Tree, Tru, etc. If we have those guys healthy all year, we'll be a good defense.

Secondly, we gotta have Brockers, Gaines/Joyner, McDonald/other safety to take their game to the next level.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to agree with you guys. I believe that if our linebacking core can contain the run, our defense will take it to another level. Of course, With Ogletree in the MLB position, the performance of the group kind of sits on his shoulders.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It has to be the safety opposite McDonald. If they can stabilize the back seven, we'll have a dominant defense for sure.

lockdnram21

Legend
Quin and Tru gotta stay healthy. Gaines has to play like he did rookie year. Like what Greg Williams was saying about Joyner. Now we need Bryant or Davis to step up at FS

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
We need Quinn back to 100%, Gaines must return to form and start opposite Tru, Ogletree has to be a game changer at MLB, and someone has to step up and play at least as well as McCloud did at FS.

I agree on Quinn. We need a healthy Quinn to keep them from doubling Donald so much. This defense will feed off the line. Consistent pressure will make it easier for the DB's to make plays. I don't think it will be that hard to replace McLeod. I think he was an average FS who benefited from a good overall defense. He was able to parlay that into a nice contract. Good for him.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
First, the offense.
By possessing the ball more, not turning it over and limiting the oppositions opportunities several times a game (by picking up first downs and sustaining more drives) the Rams D will more affective. More rest for the D and less time on the field.

Spot On Fearsome.We sometimes forget what our D has been forced to overcome by a total lack of consistent offense.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

Serious question- I haven't watched enough of Fletcher Cox, is he really head and shoulders better than Brockers? He was selected 2 picks before Brockers, after we traded down in 2012. Did we pull a Bobby Wagner here, too?

I have always been happy with Brockers and think he is underrated. Am I wrong?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My first thought was Ogletree, Johnson, and Quinn.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Fine.

I'll do it.
Paul.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Serious question- I haven't watched enough of Fletcher Cox, is he really head and shoulders better than Brockers? He was selected 2 picks before Brockers, after we traded down in 2012. Did we pull a Bobby Wagner here, too?

I have always been happy with Brockers and think he is underrated. Am I wrong?
It's impossible to compare, they aren't even remotely the same positions. Cox is more a Donald type guy, he's playing DE in a 3-4 but would play Donald's position in a 4-3.